PDA

View Full Version : When a silk pillowcase isn't enough.

CampFireTiger
April 20th, 2019, 10:56 AM
When I sleep, it's not a peaceful easy rest, I move all over the place. When I was little and had sleepovers I would wind up falling off my friend's bed or even one time woke up hitting them in the face from a dream I was having :eek:. I've woken up with half my body off the bed, with hair wrapped around my neck, anything and everything you can think of. Nowadays my husband tends to wake up a few times a night from my movement because I apparently try and push him off the bed at night :doh:

The problem is... I can't seem to protect my hair. When I had it long before I believe a fair amount of the damage was from moving at night because I would wake with a dozen tangles from sleeping even with a silk pillowcase. Here's what I've tried:
-French or English braid with a fabric scrunchie, which was always completely undone by the time I woke up.
- Silk Sleeping cap, even secured with an extra headband it would always fall off during the night.
- A bun on top of my head secured with spin pins or a scrunchie or a clip, all of which almost always felt like it was pulling on my hair and when it didn't I would wake up in the morning with a sore head and an unholy amount of shedding.
- A combination of any and all previously mentioned experiments.

I'm afraid to secure it with any harsh elastic because I feel like the damage would be worse than the protection...
Is there a holy grail any of you have found that keeps your hair secured if you're like me and move around a lot?
I would like to find something that works before my hair gets too much longer.

gingerninja
April 20th, 2019, 11:56 AM
I use a black satin sleep wrap from stay on satin that i tie tightly round my head, and it stays on perfectly even though i'm a super violent sleeper.

lithostoic
April 20th, 2019, 12:05 PM
You can try braiding it and covering the braid with a silk scarf.

lapushka
April 20th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Your hair is SL (shoulder length), so I would not worry about it too much. I am not surprised that braids come undone at this length; pretty standard & normal. Braids will hold as you gain length!!! For sure!

I would just sleep with it down, and not worry too much.

But then what do I know, I sleep with it down at classic length, even at FTL+ length I did that, and it never tangled or balled up or anything of the sort. I just don't move when I sleep. LOL!

CampFireTiger
April 20th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Your hair is SL (shoulder length), so I would not worry about it too much. I am not surprised that braids come undone at this length; pretty standard & normal. Braids will hold as you gain length!!! For sure!

But then what do I know, I sleep with it down at classic length, even at FTL+ length I did that, and it never tangled or balled up or anything of the sort. I just don't move when I sleep. LOL!

I actually tried all those things back when my hair was waist length-ish, which even then somehow my hair managed to un-braid itself by the time I woke up unless I took 15 minutes to double french braid it and secure it with a tight elastic. I haven't done a whole lot since it's been shorter aside from occasionally wearing my old silk bonnet, but I can tell I'll have the same issues when it's long again. Sigh.. I really should post a pic on the bed-head thread sometime lol, it's a site to behold even at this length.
I'm glad you don't have the same issue, I'd wake up trapped in my own hair if I slept with it loose at FTL haha.

CampFireTiger
April 20th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Hmm.. I've used bonnets but not a wrap before. Like this? https://www.amazon.com/Stay-Satin-Breakage-Wrapping-Scarf/dp/B07H4X8L4K/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=black%2Bsatin%2Bsleep%2Bwrap%2 Bstay%2Bon%2Bsatin&qid=1555788081&s=beauty&sr=1-7&th=1

lapushka
April 20th, 2019, 01:35 PM
I actually tried all those things back when my hair was waist length-ish, which even then somehow my hair managed to un-braid itself by the time I woke up unless I took 15 minutes to double french braid it and secure it with a tight elastic. I haven't done a whole lot since it's been shorter aside from occasionally wearing my old silk bonnet, but I can tell I'll have the same issues when it's long again. Sigh.. I really should post a pic on the bed-head thread sometime lol, it's a site to behold even at this length.
I'm glad you don't have the same issue, I'd wake up trapped in my own hair if I slept with it loose at FTL haha.

That is so odd. I have never known anyone to move so much when sleeping. LOL! Giiiiirl! Hahaha! :D

JennGalt
April 20th, 2019, 01:42 PM
I wouldn’t worry about a sleep style at SL, but maybe once it gets a bit longer try braiding a silk scarf into it in a paranda-like fashion. Make sure the scarf extends past your hair so you can secure it by tying it in a knot.

Joules
April 20th, 2019, 02:26 PM
I sleep with a simple braid secured with an invisibobble hairtie. But my hair is almost at buttcrack, it holds purely because of its length, there's just too much to unravel :lol: it looks awful when I wake up though. I slept with my hair down until around mid back length, maybe even waist, then it started to wrap around my neck and try to strangle me every night :lol: I wouldn't bother putting shorter hair up at night unless it's making you physically uncomfortable. A satin pillowcase would still protect it from friction and damage.

gingerninja
April 20th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Yes that is the exact one i use and it has served me well over the past 2 years.

zmirina
April 20th, 2019, 03:42 PM

i am a very active sleeper, but my hair is smooth and takes quite a bit to tangle. i started sleeping with braids, but mostly to add a bit of texture that hides my split ends for the no trim year

Corvana
April 20th, 2019, 04:33 PM
I have a very similar problem. I'm currently just dealing with the bit of scalp pain in the morning from the bun. I've got enough length that I can make the scalp section quite loose which helps! And then I massage my scalp a bit when I take it down (which I do ASAP), which makes the soreness go away almost completely.

Since it's not sharp pain, but more of a dull sort of ache, I deal with it. Otherwise I get no sleep because my hair is murdering me.