PDA

View Full Version : Thinner right side in short hair.

daisyofdark0
April 20th, 2019, 05:47 AM
This may be a repeated question, but the curiousness remains even in short hair. It is normal for even short-haired people to have a thin side of their hair? My right side of hair is thinner and a tiny bit frizzy than the left side. I usually sleep on both sides, i dont know if that matters because short hair doesnt rub massively as long hair do. Besides, i cannot tie them back at all.:confused:

Sarahlabyrinth
April 20th, 2019, 05:52 AM
I think it's normal. My right side has always been thicker than my left side. I don't know why :)

daisyofdark0
April 20th, 2019, 05:55 AM
I think it's normal. My right side has always been thicker than my left side. I don't know why :)

Ah, so i see now. Maybe it could be a genetic factor? My mom's also right side is thinner and doesnt cooperate enough when she is curling or straightening her hair. (i personally dont use heat tools anymore)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 20th, 2019, 05:56 AM
It could be.

Aerya
April 20th, 2019, 09:03 AM
It could be just how your hair grows. Hair is weird sometimes! But if you sleep on the same side that could probably cause it to thin out a little too, or if you otherwise have some sort of mechanical damage occuring to that side over time.

Obsidian
April 20th, 2019, 10:11 AM
I have a thinner side but its the one that I sleep on most. I actually find that my short hair rubs worse then when it was longer

daisyofdark0
April 20th, 2019, 10:27 AM
It could be just how your hair grows. Hair is weird sometimes! But if you sleep on the same side that could probably cause it to thin out a little too, or if you otherwise have some sort of mechanical damage occuring to that side over time.

Sad truth is i cannot clearly define when my hair grows, due to that..damned curl shrinkage which actually made me cut my hair so short. I tend to usually sleep on the right side, yes. Mechanical damage? What do you mean? Like heat tools? I dont use anymore. Last time i used was 2 years ago.

daisyofdark0
April 20th, 2019, 10:28 AM
I have a thinner side but its the one that I sleep on most. I actually find that my short hair rubs worse then when it was longer

Hmmm, i see.

lapushka
April 20th, 2019, 11:15 AM
It's very much normal. I have a side that has slightly less hair than the other half of the head. It is slight though, but it has nothing to do with which side you sleep on. It was a subject here a long time ago, but it is completely normal & nothing to worry about. :flower:

daisyofdark0
April 20th, 2019, 11:27 AM
It's very much normal. I have a side that has slightly less hair than the other half of the head. It is slight though, but it has nothing to do with which side you sleep on. It was a subject here a long time ago, but it is completely normal & nothing to worry about. :flower:

Ah, very good then! Thanks!

Aerya
April 20th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Sad truth is i cannot clearly define when my hair grows, due to that..damned curl shrinkage which actually made me cut my hair so short. I tend to usually sleep on the right side, yes. Mechanical damage? What do you mean? Like heat tools? I dont use anymore. Last time i used was 2 years ago.

Like if there's anything that might be damaging to your hair on that particular side, such as sleeping on that side. I know some people can't get past BSL-ish because their hair gets caught in seat belts, bag straps, backs of chairs, clothing etc. But that's obviously not the case here! Honestly I wouldn't think that much about it, chances are it's just genetic. :)

enting
April 23rd, 2019, 10:55 AM
If you always wear a shoulderbag or backpack on that side, tense shoulder and neck muscles can also reduce blood flow to that side, it doesn't only have to be purely genetics or only sleeping as a behavior that can affect thinness. Either way, it is very common for one side to be thinner, even if there's no apparent reason.

GrowinIt
April 23rd, 2019, 11:30 AM
My right side of hair is grayer and frizzier than on my left side =). I sleep on the left side though or on my back, and rarely on my right side. Mostly because left side is recommended for preventing heartburn (this article has a picture which perfectly shows why https://site.eightsleep.com/blogs/news/the-pros-and-cons-of-each-sleeping-position). I do sleep on a silk pillowcase to help generally damage prevention. The only mechanical damage I notice is really more on the top layer of my hair, as opposed to any particular side, which I assume is from sleeping on my back or pony tails and clips, or that I just touch the top of my hair more. I'm not sure if one side is thinner than the other, I never really noticed, but I part my hair on the left side (because of a cowlick I have, I really have to part it that way), so maybe that side might be slightly thinner.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
April 23rd, 2019, 12:45 PM
OP; I am glad you brought this up. I have also been pondering the same topic. The hair on my left side look considerably longer than the hair on my right side. I find this strange as my hair was cut evenly to bsl in 2016.

Right this moment while sitting with an English braid on each side of my head I decided to visually recheck this. I pulled each braid together at my nose and stretched them all the way to the end. The results were; they are both of same length except the right side has less hair at the ends but feels and looks a bit thicker on the top of braid area. Weird I know.

Could be we are not proportionally built as we think.

Stardreamer
April 23rd, 2019, 11:49 PM
The right side of my head has thinner, less hair it seems. The left side is always pretty thick, fluffy and has a lot of it. I usually sleep on my left side. When I do double braids, the left one has more hair, so I avoid double braids. Lol.