PDA

View Full Version : Calling on the Damage Detectives: What's wrong with my hair?

hinabelle
April 19th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Here's a thread dedicated to determining the causes of misbehaved hair!

To kick it off... can anyone help me figure out why I have -so- -many- taper split ends?
The pink arrow is pointing to one of the normal ends I have. I've been trimming off all the tapers
I find through S&D, but I have so much hair it's hard to keep track of if I'm making a difference or if
new tapers are appearing in sections I have already S&D'd.

https://i.imgur.com/FeXPg0C.png

Sarahlabyrinth
April 19th, 2019, 10:25 AM
Individual hairs which have a tapered end are normal new growth, I hope you are not trimming those hairs - are you?

Nightshade
April 19th, 2019, 10:30 AM
As SarahLabyrinth says, hair ends are naturally tapered, so it isn't always a sign of damage (it can be if a split end has broken off on one side, but it's not a clean, smooth taper and so it's often possible to tell the difference between the two).

Begemot
April 19th, 2019, 10:39 AM
My tapers are either natural or from dye and heat damage (well, were from old dye and heat damage) :hmm:

hinabelle
April 19th, 2019, 11:01 AM
I have been trimming them! And I will stop immediately :doh:
I honestly thought it was damage, that I've been doing something wrong this whole time.
This is good news, though -- it means I have lots of virgin hair, which is a brand new experience for me! :D

milosmomma
April 19th, 2019, 11:49 AM
I dont see any split ends there :) Tapering is natural as your hair grows, all your hairs will never be all one length just because of the cycles they go through. It looks healthy to me in the picture you added.

lapushka
April 19th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Hair grows in different cycles, so it is absolutely normal to have shorter hairs, those are not split ends. I am SO so glad you have stopped trimming the sides of that chunk of hair *immediately*, because what you're seeing is perfectly normal growth.