PDA

View Full Version : Cult Favorites

TeaAndSketches
April 18th, 2019, 07:08 PM
Just curious, what are some cult favorites that you have found to work for your hair type and what are some that don't?

SwanFeathers
April 18th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Do you mean products or styles?

daisy rei
April 18th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Why don’t you read through the Conventional Products sub-forum? There are lots of popular products discussed there.

lithostoic
April 18th, 2019, 08:50 PM
Everybody seems to love OGX coconut line but it gave me horrific shedding. Huge handfuls of hair. Never used it again.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I love Shea Moisture and the Wet Brush!

illicitlizard
April 19th, 2019, 01:54 AM
First thing that comes to mind is the tangle teezer, love it and have done for years.

-Fern
April 19th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Ditto, normally my hair doesn't care what products I use, but OGX was awful for me.

Begemot
April 19th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Hmm some product favorites could be Tangle Teezers, boar bristle brushes, Invisibobbles, hair turbans and hair toys like sticks and barrettes and such (Ficcares and Flexis). Some brands that pop up often could be Shea Moisture, Herbal Essences, Kinky Curly, Garnier, L'Oreal etc. Many like methods such as CO-washing, CWC, ROO and LOC/LCO, for example.

Izzyivy
April 19th, 2019, 10:17 AM
For me it would have to be the Shea Moisture jamaican black castor oil hair mask and the coconut and hibiscus conditioner. They both leave my hair much easier to detangle. Most shea moisture products are pretty good. I have also used the tangle teezer for many years.

Pinni
April 19th, 2019, 10:26 AM
For me it is Mason Pearson brush (the smallest one). I lost one and I just had to buy new one because I liked it so much. My hairtype is very thin, and lots of hair.

milosmomma
April 19th, 2019, 10:31 AM
Hmm some product favorites could be Tangle Teezers, boar bristle brushes, Invisibobbles, hair turbans and hair toys like sticks and barrettes and such (Ficcares and Flexis). Some brands that pop up often could be Shea Moisture, Herbal Essences, Kinky Curly, Garnier, L'Oreal etc. Many like methods such as CO-washing, CWC, ROO and LOC/LCO, for example.
This pretty much covers what I was thinking. I will add Eden Bodyworks even though I'm not quite sure theres a cult following...I have only seen it mentioned a few times around the forum. I like the deep condition treatment with marshmallow root and almond. I'll also add a wooden comb :)

Begemot
April 19th, 2019, 10:35 AM
This pretty much covers what I was thinking. I will add Eden Bodyworks even though I'm not quite sure theres a cult following...I have only seen it mentioned a few times around the forum. I like the deep condition treatment with marshmallow root and almond. I'll also add a wooden comb :)

Wooden comb is a great addition :) I have heard so much good about marshmallow root! Would definitely like to try products that have it.

milosmomma
April 19th, 2019, 11:09 AM
I highly recommend it, since stopping cones it is the closest thing that gives me that cone-like slip :)

Begemot
April 19th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Ohhh that sounds so good...! :thumbsup:

lapushka
April 19th, 2019, 03:01 PM
For me it would have to be the Shea Moisture jamaican black castor oil hair mask and the coconut and hibiscus conditioner. They both leave my hair much easier to detangle. Most shea moisture products are pretty good. I have also used the tangle teezer for many years.

Welcome to the forum! :)

JennGalt
April 19th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Shea Moisture JBCO mask and Kinky Curly Knot Today. Love them both :)

As for cult faves that don’t work for me, Suave and VO5 seem to be pretty popular for co-washing, and my mom made me use them for years as a kid since she assumed the same stuff that worked for her fine, oily, type 1 hair was best for me. Neither works for me. I need much heavier conditioners to see any noticeable effect or even for co-washing.

Ylva
April 19th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Pantene seems to be an almost timeless favourite among some longhairs.

For me, Garnier products seem to work extraordinarily well. It almost doesn't matter what I use from them.

A lot of the popular brands like the above-mentioned Suave and VO5 aren't available where I live.

enting
April 19th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Things my hair likes: boar bristle brush, Hello Hydration conditioner, spin pins, vinegar rinses. Do wide toothed combs count or are they just a logical tool and not a cult favorite?

I tried marshmallow rinse in my hair but my hair hated it.

Liz_H
April 19th, 2019, 07:48 PM
Are the tangle tweezers good for fine hair?

illicitlizard
April 19th, 2019, 07:55 PM

They work for my fine hair, but as with all things YMMV

ExpectoPatronum
April 19th, 2019, 08:46 PM
I use quite a few cult favorites - Shea Moisture JBCO mask, Kinky Curly Knot Today, I own both a Tangle Teezer and a Wet Brush that I use on occasion. I also love my Denman brush for creating clumps and defining my curls.

ArabellaRose
April 19th, 2019, 08:58 PM
My cult favourites are the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner and the Wet brush.

My other must have products (though I've not seen many other people mention using them) are all from the Loreal Dream Lengths range.

Begemot
April 20th, 2019, 12:22 AM

There's now a TT specifically for fine and thin hair (supposedly its made of softer material than the Original) but I haven't used it myself nor read reviews yet.

MusicalSpoons
April 20th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Ooh, Kinky Curly Knot Today is one product I would rather like to try. Also meadowfoamseed oil seems to have popped up on the radar and sounds really very interesting!

My cult favourite is a technique rather than a product, but the Rinse-Out Oil method. All the moisture locking of oil but insanely less lint!