PDA

View Full Version : Ways to repurpose silicone serums?

Ylva
April 18th, 2019, 02:55 PM
I've heard of people mixing them with rinse-out conditioners and using them in the shower like that, possibly creating their own silicone conditioners out of cone-free ones, but are there other ways to use up silicone serums that one has deemed unfitting for one's hair as such?

Tinyponies
April 18th, 2019, 03:00 PM
I bet a teeny dab would make a curtain rail glide well! But you’d be using it for the rest of your life :lol:

Groovy Granny
April 18th, 2019, 03:04 PM
My Biosilk mentions it can also be used for the body, so I use the extra after hair application on my hands, elbows, heels etc

Obsidian
April 18th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Mix a few drops into a lotion for more slip and spreadability. It can help a crappy lotion be a better lotion.

Ylva
April 18th, 2019, 04:03 PM
I bet a teeny dab would make a curtain rail glide well! But you’d be using it for the rest of your life :lol:

Haha, I bet! :laugh:

My Biosilk mentions it can also be used for the body, so I use the extra after hair application on my hands, elbows, heels etc

Nice! My skin is too dry for just serum, I think, but it could be added on top of a lotion, maybe.

Mix a few drops into a lotion for more slip and spreadability. It can help a crappy lotion be a better lotion.

True! I've got one pretty crappy lotion that I don't often reach for.

lapushka
April 19th, 2019, 04:10 PM
You have dogs, right? Maybe put a drop or two in the palm of your hand, spread it out, and "fluff" it lightly over their wet coats when you wash them. The idea is spidermom's!

Ylva
April 19th, 2019, 04:13 PM
You have dogs, right? Maybe put a drop or two in the palm of your hand, spread it out, and "fluff" it lightly over their wet coats when you wash them. The idea is spidermom's!

I have dogs, yep! Seven! But I never wash them :laugh: They keep themselves clean. Besides, should I ever apply such "strangely" scented products on them, they'd be right off to roll in deer **** or something. Fun use, though!

Groovy Granny
April 19th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Adding serum to lotions is a great idea too :thumbsup:

My pooch has skin issues and even oatmeal/low allergenic products react on her :doh: so she uses a medicated shampoo from the vet.

It's all I can do NOT to run my hands over her when I have spritzed my own hair with something lol, because her hair type is similar to mine.... with high humidity curl explosions....or dry wipsy static in the cold air. ;)

JennGalt
April 19th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Silicones aren’t harmful for dogs to lick off their fur? Been wondering about this for a while.

lapushka
April 19th, 2019, 04:17 PM
LOOOOL! :spitting:

Ylva
April 19th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Adding serum to lotions is a great idea too :thumbsup:

My pooch has skin issues and even oatmeal/low allergenic products react on her :doh: so she uses a medicated shampoo from the vet.

It's all I can do NOT to run my hands over her when I have spritzed my own hair with something lol, because her hair type is similar to mine.... with high humidity curl explosions....or dry wipsy static in the cold air. ;)

Aww, poor doggo!

Silicones aren’t harmful for dogs to lick off their fur? Been wondering about this for a while.

I have no idea to be honest, but interesting question!

Groovy Granny
April 19th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Aww, poor doggo!

Quote Originally Posted by JennGalt View Post
I have no idea to be honest, but interesting question!

Thanks...she's doing ok now :)

Licking products is another legit concern that I considered before her skin started acting up so I held off on it. :thumbsup:

lapushka
April 19th, 2019, 04:39 PM
Licking products is another legit concern that I considered before her skin started acting up so I held off on it. :thumbsup:

In that case I would not let them lick you either (body butter / lotion, face creams, face serums)... right? ;)

Doreen
April 19th, 2019, 04:42 PM
I have used them with a bit of oil before going in the pool/ocean. Used up a lot of product at once and it made my hair very easy to comb through after getting out.

Groovy Granny
April 19th, 2019, 05:10 PM
In that case I would not let them lick you either (body butter / lotion, face creams, face serums)... right? ;)

Very true....another good point :thumbsup:

With her sensitivities I am very aware of what she could get into.
Thankfully she is not much of a licker, just a quick slurpy kiss on the cheek before bed;my face was washed before with no lotions after ;)

Ylva
April 19th, 2019, 05:11 PM
I have used them with a bit of oil before going in the pool/ocean. Used up a lot of product at once and it made my hair very easy to comb through after getting out.

Which one do you apply first?

milosmomma
April 19th, 2019, 05:23 PM
You could mix them with oil in a spray bottle and spritz them on. I love making different mixtures of things to use as leave-in or detanglers.

Joules
April 20th, 2019, 01:40 AM
I currently have my Mom's leave-in that she gave me because it didn't work on her. If it doesn't work on me too, I'd save it for the Summer to protect my hair from sea and pool water. And the sun, because silicones can protect hair from sundamage as far as I know.

If it ends up being comletely useless, I'd use it as a shaving cream.

Ylva
April 20th, 2019, 10:20 AM
I currently have my Mom's leave-in that she gave me because it didn't work on her. If it doesn't work on me too, I'd save it for the Summer to protect my hair from sea and pool water. And the sun, because silicones can protect hair from sundamage as far as I know.

If it ends up being comletely useless, I'd use it as a shaving cream.

That sounds like too much oily gunk in the drain. Could end up being problematic?

lapushka
April 20th, 2019, 11:17 AM
That sounds like too much oily gunk in the drain. Could end up being problematic?

Yeah, I'd worry about that too... <unsure>

Maybe mix it in with a conditioner that isn't that great to "power it up" some. Just a tiny squirt or pump, or a little puddle of it should be enough.

Ylva
April 20th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I'd worry about that too... <unsure>

Maybe mix it in with a conditioner that isn't that great to "power it up" some. Just a tiny squirt or pump, or a little puddle of it should be enough.

Yeah, I think that's one of the things I'll do. And put it in lotions. :)