PDA

View Full Version : How to protect your hair from Chlorine?

Luna Starsetta
April 18th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Hello fellow long haired friends. I don't know about you all but I love the summer heat and I love swimming. The only thing is my hair dries out so bad in swimming pools. What do you do to protect your hair when go go swimming? Steps before steps after? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Off to work and will be back on either later today or tomorrow!

SwanFeathers
April 18th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Soaking with plain water first help keep it from absorbing pool water. Oiling helps too. Is this a private or public pool?

Begemot
April 18th, 2019, 07:55 AM
It would be good to use chelating shampoo regularly to get chlorine out of your hair.

gingerninja
April 18th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Keeping the the hair up in a high bun or under a swim cap work well, as does co-washing afterwards to remove any chlorine.

ExpectoPatronum
April 18th, 2019, 11:30 AM
When I swim I get my hair wet with regular water first, then apply some conditioner. If you're lap swimming, a swim cap will help prevent tangling. Otherwise, you should use a chelating shampoo after swimming to remove the chlorine from the hair and deep condition afterward.

gustavonut
April 20th, 2019, 11:33 AM
I wet my hair a lot and then use a clarifying conditioner in my hair and put a swimming cap over it (I don’t always wear the swim cap) and then after swimming I use a clarifying shampoo and then a deep conditioner. My hair always comes out fine

milosmomma
April 20th, 2019, 04:16 PM
I always wet it and oil it, seems to be enough to protect my hair. I dont like to use creamy leave-ins when swimming because I feel like those cloud up the water similar to sunscreen. I feel like oil stays in your hair better and not so much in the pool water.

Luna Starsetta
April 23rd, 2019, 06:42 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions, what is a chelating shampoo. And it would be a public pool SwanFeathers!