PDA

View Full Version : Simple Hair Care Routine

TeaAndSketches
April 17th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Just curious, does anyone just use shampoo and regular conditioner as their hair care routine? No leave-ins, oils, etc.?

milosmomma
April 17th, 2019, 08:14 PM
I love oils too much not to use them somewhere in my routine :)

Ylva
April 17th, 2019, 08:15 PM
I used to in the past with butt length hair.

I intend to return to that routine after I've gotten rid of the damage.

desisparkles
April 17th, 2019, 08:20 PM
I'm currently using shampoo then conditioner, and adding 1 styler (mousse, cream or gel) then air drying.
That's it.

I do deep condition once a week or 2 by using a hair masque. I'm trying a simpler routine and really liking it

gossamer
April 17th, 2019, 08:21 PM
Yes. I don't use any leave ins or oils.

Groovy Granny
April 17th, 2019, 08:29 PM
I DID use oils/leave ins...... until I tried a hair mask by neutrogena in place of my conditioner 1 week, and suddenly my leave ins were too much and left my hair oily.....and the effect lasted all month (I found my holy grail) ;)

So now I shampoo and do a mask (applied like conditioner) on week 1, then the other 3 weeks it is just shampoo and regular conditioner.

Easy peasy now :shrug:

desisparkles
April 17th, 2019, 08:51 PM
I DID use oils/leave ins...... until I tried a hair mask by neutrogena in place of my conditioner 1 week, and suddenly my leave ins were too much and left my hair oily.....and the effect lasted all month (I found my holy grail) ;)

So now I shampoo and do a mask (applied like conditioner) on week 1, then the other 3 weeks it is just shampoo and regular conditioner.

that's so awesome

MoonRabbit
April 17th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Yep. My hair likes it very simple.

school of fish
April 17th, 2019, 09:01 PM
*raises hand*

Shampoo and conditioner every day, no oils, serums, or leave-ins. My hair is happiest this way :)

Groovy Granny
April 17th, 2019, 09:07 PM
that's so awesome

Thanks...it is!
I was amazed actually, because my hair slurped up anything I put on it before (ROO & LOC) plus add ins day to day :doh:

Occasionally I may do a few drops of serum if I want to refresh bun/braid waves....or define wurls with a spritz of rosewater & glycerin :cheer:

Luna Starsetta
April 17th, 2019, 09:13 PM
I guess my routine is kinda simple. But I do have curly hair. I wash once every Sunday Saturday I put oil in and leave it overnight Sunday is wash day. Sulfate and silicone free. I CWC the first C is oil then I shampoo scelp rinse and put in a deep conditioner while I finish my shower. Once I'm out I apply a bit of oil then a gel comb through plop and air dry. After that every day all I do is slowly break the gel down with oil by the weekend it is happy bouncy and full and I wash again Sunday so I go 8 days no washing and its very simple for me.

AmaryllisRed
April 17th, 2019, 09:24 PM
Me! Only shampoo and conditioner. No oils, no leave-ins.
If my hair required extra attention to grow long, it wouldn't be long. :)

guska
April 17th, 2019, 09:38 PM
Me :) (When I was young I didn’t know that conditioner existed so I was shampoo only till 11 years of age :p)

MusicalSpoons
April 18th, 2019, 05:14 AM
Just curious, does anyone just use shampoo and regular conditioner as their hair care routine? No leave-ins, oils, etc.?

I use oil in the shower in the ROO method, so not quite but nearly just shampoo and conditioner :)

[I think if I tried leave-ins I could encourage my hair to be slightly wavy but I don't have the energy to start experimenting again, and I've never liked the idea of using product in my hair. At this point it's more effort than I'm prepared to give, especially as my hair lives in buns anyway!]

Ligeia Noire
April 18th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Same here. No oils or leave ins... usually just shampoo and conditioner/mask...

spitfire511
April 18th, 2019, 06:20 AM
Hey groovygranny - Nosy gal here - which mask is it that you're using? Triple moisture?

lapushka
April 18th, 2019, 06:54 AM
When I was chin to shoulder, yes, but after that other things became very necessary.

I see you're about 12 inches? Then S/C should be more than enough! :thumbsup:

EdG
April 18th, 2019, 07:29 AM
You may want to try water-only washing or sebum-only. These don't work for everyone, but if you can get decent results, they are the simplest hair care.
Ed

2gaits
April 18th, 2019, 08:34 AM
My hair and scalp like good ole pantene moisture shampoo and conditioner. Maybe once a month or so I will use a deep conditioner or do a heavy oil treatment. I do use it's a ten leave in on the ends after I wash it. Washing about every other day.

StellaStellitsa
April 18th, 2019, 08:45 AM
I mainly just condition, shampoo and then condition again. Occasionaly I may use a mask instead of conditioner for the second conditioning. Occasionaly I may use my regular conditioner as a deep conditioner or as a live in conditioner. If I'm in mood I may put in my ends sunflower seed oil or olive seed oil that has gotten in my hands from the bottles when I use them for the cooking.

Joules
April 18th, 2019, 10:30 AM
I wish I could. When I used to just use shampoo and conditioner, my hair was awfully dry, frizzy, all split and breaking. Even shampoo&conditioner&leave-in isn't enough, I need to use oils. I like oils and taking care of my hair in general, but it consumes so much of my time and energy (and money) that I sometimes wish I had an option of just not doing it.

gingerninja
April 18th, 2019, 11:08 AM
I just co-wash without using any leave in's or stylers, only once every 3 months will i pre-oil my hair.

CampFireTiger
April 18th, 2019, 11:21 AM

Do you follow the directions and only leave on the mask for a few minutes? I've heard of others who have used deep conditioning masks and left them on for longer than directed to get the best results.

JulyFun
April 18th, 2019, 11:29 AM
The only thing I do more than shampoo and condition is henna. I aim for once a month but it generally ends up being 6 weeks....

Once a week I CWC, in between these I generally have to shampoo only my bangs once.

Groovy Granny
April 18th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Do you follow the directions and only leave on the mask for a few minutes? I've heard of others who have used deep conditioning masks and left them on for longer than directed to get the best results.

The Neutrogena mask I used said to let it sit 3-5 minutes; mine was on just a few minutes, and it had a lasting effect on my hair.

So much so that I wouldn't dare leave it longer :lol:

It could be because my hair is so fine and wispy :hmm:

Dung Beetle
April 18th, 2019, 12:08 PM
If my hair required extra attention to grow long, it wouldn't be long. :)

Ain't that the truth!

I'm washing my hair with sulfate shampoo and coney conditioner almost every day. Then I put in a heat-protection cream so I can blow-dry it a bit.

I've done the rinse-out oil a few times, but more so I can feel I'm doing something special for myself, rather than that my hair cares one way or another.

Cg
April 18th, 2019, 12:40 PM
When I first joined LHC and read about oil's glorious benefits I oiled my hair. Turns out it had no effect so now it's just shampoo and conditioner, once a week.

I don't even know what a masque is, never read ingredient lists, and have no interest in hair (or any other) fads. Apparently minimalist care suits my hair just dandy.

Climber
April 18th, 2019, 06:38 PM
My routine is pretty simple: scalp wash every 4-7 days, then maybe once a month wash/condition the length. Unless I'm swimming--then washing/conditioning afterwards.

bokeh
April 18th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Me :) (When I was young I didn’t know that conditioner existed so I was shampoo only till 11 years of age :p)

guska, I also have thick, coarse hair and I have just recently begun to realize that I do well with shampoo and conditioner only. I was under the impression that coarse hair needed lots of thick, creamy conditioners and always a leave-in. I haven't settled into a routine yet but it's nice to know that just shampoo followed by conditioner is all that's really necessary.

AmaryllisRed
April 18th, 2019, 07:59 PM
When I was a kid, I used Pert Plus shampoo and conditioner in one. I don't think I used a separate shampoo and conditioner until high school!

Longlegs
April 18th, 2019, 08:16 PM
No way could I just condition and shampoo, my hair gets very dry and frizzy. I've always had to use a leave-in conditioner, sometimes oil.

daisy rei
April 18th, 2019, 08:20 PM
I would say I don’t need any additional leave-ins or oils, however, a coconut oil deep treatment every once and a while really feels luxurious and makes my hair super shiny!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
April 19th, 2019, 08:14 AM
I keep my routine simple. Weekly water washes and a rinse with vitamin c. I apply a little coconut oil to damp hair. Occasionally I use shampoo.

Too much oiling tends to attract lint and dust.

The-Young-Maid
April 19th, 2019, 09:15 AM
I can just shampoo + condition depending on the conditioner. If I use Dove then I don't need leave-ins but I'll add coconut oil to keep my hair extra silky and shiny. Right now though I'm working through my product stash so I'm focused on using up.

Once I'm done with most of those I can go back to just shampoo + conditioner + coconut oil. I wash everyday.

guska
April 19th, 2019, 10:29 AM
guska, I also have thick, coarse hair and I have just recently begun to realize that I do well with shampoo and conditioner only. I was under the impression that coarse hair needed lots of thick, creamy conditioners and always a leave-in. I haven't settled into a routine yet but it's nice to know that just shampoo followed by conditioner is all that's really necessary.

Really? :O I've never even tried those. The rest of my family also have thick, coarse hair and they have been shampoo only their whole life. I'm the only one who also uses conditioner but I'm thinking about ditching it (and go back to shampoo only) because I find it a bit unnecessary for my hair :/ Have to use up my stash first and that will probably take some months time haha.

Nice that you've found a new method that works for you :)

catoala
May 22nd, 2019, 03:23 PM
Shampoo only, oil the length daily, brush (to detangle and all), sometimes scalp. That's all. No masks or anything. :)

CrazyPlantLady
May 23rd, 2019, 08:22 AM
No way could I just condition and shampoo, my hair gets very dry and frizzy. I've always had to use a leave-in conditioner, sometimes oil.

YES, this! I'm a 2a texture as well and it behaves much better with some leave in and oil.

Dark40
May 24th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Yes, I use shampoos and conditioners, leave-ins, oils, and creams. I also deep condition my hair once or twice a week as well.

Ylva
May 24th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Yes, I use shampoos and conditioners, leave-ins, oils, and creams. I also deep condition my hair once or twice a week as well.

I consider this a relatively complex hair care routine. :D

LittleHealthy
May 24th, 2019, 10:32 PM
I shampoo and condition, then add oil to my ends while it’s still damp. That’s pretty much it.
I do a mask when I have the time.

shaluwm_agape
May 27th, 2019, 11:51 AM
I'm WO so my routine is super basic. Water wash 3 to 4 times a week, clarify when needed (once every 2 months or so). Other than that I use oil on my ends everyday and a DIY deep conditioner when needed

soldierssong
May 27th, 2019, 01:44 PM
I think I have a simple routine. Shampoo, conditioner, and occasionally oil. 2-3 times a week, done.

lapushka
May 27th, 2019, 03:09 PM
My routine is so "ingrained" in me that I basically run through it without thinking, if that counts. It might seem a lot to an outsider, but basically, I do my weekly wash, and bun for the rest of the week - simple as pie. To me, at least. ;)

sillyme
May 27th, 2019, 04:25 PM

I just shampoo and condition. Daily.

My fine hair looks too greasy if I use oils or leave-ins of any kind. My hair is only shoulder length though, so I might have to use something on the ends if it was longer.

Simsy
May 28th, 2019, 07:00 AM
Detangle, shampoo, condition, detangle, airdry, bun...and done. I’ll comb it out every day or 2; rarely needs more than a couple of mins and it’s straight back into the bun. I occasionally apply oil if I’m home and the hair feels like it needs some. I do still mix my own leave-in conditioner/oil spray; buts that a few seconds every couple of months when I can be bothered. I regularly leave my hair up for multiple days at a time, it just means the detangling take 10 mins instead of 2; sometimes that’s a trade off I just have to accept.

Simple routines aren’t just the minimum steps to keep your hair and head happy; they can also be a routine you no longer have to think about or dedicate significant time to. A routine with 15 steps that take 20 mins can be easier than a routine with 5 steps that take 2 hours. It’s all about what you prioritise in your own life.

Lady Una
May 28th, 2019, 10:07 PM
I use shampoo (on roots only) and conditioner, every three days or so. After air drying, my hair usually goes into a braid.

Caribbean_girl
May 28th, 2019, 10:44 PM
I know many friends that regularly shampoo their hair and still manage to have long, beautiful hair. I personally prefer oils to help nourish my dry, curly hair.

joweh
May 29th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Everyday, I shampoo my roots and condition. Once a week or when I remember, I apply a bit of hair serum (that I received as a gift, so when it finishes, I'm back to shampoo and conditioner only). That's it!