PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut it?

Delelenore
April 17th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone,

so first up, this is my first post on this forum, so please tell me if I should have posted it somewhere else.
My problem is extremely uneven layers due to breakage and bad haircuts. As you can see in the picture, my front layers are way shorter than my actual hair and they happen to be very thick also. I have been debating over getting an actual "haircut" so that all is even. My goal is to grow out my hair but at the same time, I want it to look healthy and put together. What do you guys think? Should I leave them or go cold turkey and even out my hair length?IMG]https://oi304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/Christina_Rill/Facetune_17-04-2019-14-31-08_zpsg6iqlbof.jpg (https://s304.photobucket.com/user/Christina_Rill/media/Facetune_17-04-2019-14-31-08_zpsg6iqlbof.jpg.html)[/IMG]

Thanks in advance:o

PS: Sorry for the big-ass picture, I am new to this haha

desisparkles
April 17th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I love the cut as is. I say S&D if any splits but seriously, I dig it! Not just saying that either.

You can always trim slightly little by little too if you want to get rid of the layers but it would take some time.

vpatt
April 17th, 2019, 02:24 PM
I like your hair. You could check out the microtrimming and maintaining thread. Then you can even up your hair gradually ( if that is what you want) and still allow it to gain length.

Groovy Granny
April 17th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Welcome ~ glad you joined us!

If you cut to even it up you will end up with a short bob...but I think it looks fine ;)

I second micro trims and patience; I did that from chin to @ waist, and then did a couple of layer snips over a few months to get rid of the last 2 layers (I was impatient by then :lol: )

Go with your gut and what will make you the happiest :cheer:

lapushka
April 17th, 2019, 03:34 PM
If you want to even it up, you're looking at chin length at the minimum, so a very short bob.

I say like others have already, to check out the microtrimming thread on here. Go slowly, this way you can still grow but slowly trim out the layering.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

LongCurlyTress
April 17th, 2019, 03:40 PM
I say, put it up and forgetabout it and maybe in 6 months, trim off a half inch off the back section to begin to grow out your layers. Welcome to LHC! I have learned that trimming only sets my growth backwards, and will not make my hair grow any faster. Patience is the key here! :) I know it is hard, but patience works. :) Hair grows on average, a half inch a month... just an fyi. :)

milosmomma
April 17th, 2019, 05:22 PM
Welcome! If the shape of your hair isnt making you happy right now then you should do it. But if you think putting it up(which you might not be able to do once evened out) will help you ignore it and gain length then that's my vote.
Are you familiar with self trimming? You can take off just a tiny amount(micro-trim) and reshape those front layers by parting your hair in the middle and bringing it to the front, if you tilt you head down and trim the ends it will give you an even V shaped hemline. There are many different methods you can find here or through youtube, but I think this one with take care of any of your longer racers around your face and keep your length.
Happy growing, do let us know what you decide :)

Reyn127
April 17th, 2019, 11:51 PM
Hi there! When I had shorter hair and I was growing out a bob, I actually got my hair cut to look very similar to the way yours is now - shorter in the front and longer in the back. My hairdresser told me that it would create the effect of having slightly longer hair, because of the way it falls, than to have it all trimmed back to one length. So I think it is fine the way it is.

If there are chunks that are literally shorter or longer than the overall line of your hemline, you *could* trim a little bit (like and inch max in some spots) to even out the line a bit. But to me it doesn’t look like you really need to do that.

Ilyem
April 18th, 2019, 06:12 AM
I'd say trim all your hair to just below shoulder length now so it looks 80% even and then keep it up whilst growing it out for maybe 6-12 months and then start microtrimming. If you were to cut it off to a bob that would mean having to go through awkward growth stages but SL is the shortest without having to go through that. If you don't want to microtrim because no one can help you with it (and its difficult at short lengths to do yourself) then forgot it and instead just get another bigger trim in a year instead.

spitfire511
April 18th, 2019, 06:27 AM
With the others that think the cut is cute as is - modern and I think looks quite good!

For me, it's easier to put it up and forget about it for a bit and then microtrim once it gets longer.

If I cut back, then I wind up not growing it at all (I did this for YEARS) because I never made it back past the awkward stages. Once you get APL and BSL lengths, it's much easier to deal with all of that IMHO!

SimplySmile
April 18th, 2019, 06:38 AM
I think it looks good how it is! It looks like you have face framing layers! I say just let it grow out and before you know it you might like it with the layers when they are a little longer. I went through the same thing when I did a big chop with tons of layers and face framing. At first I hated the layers but now that it has been 3 months I really like the face framing layers because they connect up to my grown out bangs and make it all look like it blends nicely together. I thought about chopping up to my shortest layer and then having a blunt one length cut but that would make me loose about 5-6 inches.. So I decided to just wear it up and ignore it and so far it is working. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. :o

lapushka
April 18th, 2019, 07:07 AM
If you trim a lot now, you will have a world of issues trying to get your hair up and out of the way (and it is spring and summer, you will want that). That is why I would continue to grow and start microtrimming the ends.

Begemot
April 18th, 2019, 07:35 AM
I agree with lapushka, I wouldn't cut a lot right now unless I was absolutely sure it's what I want and don't want anything else. Welcome to the forum btw! :)

2gaits
April 18th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Shag cuts and lots of layers are very popular right now. I think your hair has a nice style the way it is and you can at least do a twist up with it or a ponytail. I wouldn't cut it.

StellaStellitsa
April 18th, 2019, 09:07 AM
The decision is yours. I only can say that it does not look bad, and if I was you I would not cut it. Maybe wait a few months first and then start cutting.

dagny
April 18th, 2019, 05:50 PM
I had a similar cut and I just left it and micro-trimmed as it grew out. Eventually, the layers will even out and you can simultaneously enjoy long hair in the process.
:D

Dark40
April 19th, 2019, 08:32 PM
Like everybody else, I think it looks good the way it is now. Over time it will all eventually catch up. You can microtrim it. Or, trim a little off at a time within the next 6 months.

April 20th, 2019, 04:38 AM
As much as I love blunt cuts, I have to admit your current cut really suits you.