PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Products

TeaAndSketches
April 16th, 2019, 07:52 PM
Hello friends,

I recently bought a new shampoo and conditioner and I realized that despite the hype surrounding the product, it hasn't shown itself to be anything special. However, it smells super nice and I was thinking of combining it with my herbal essences rosehip shampoo (i have a giant liter size bottle of it) just to use it up. Does anyone else combine their shampoos and mix it up in the same bottle? I've been looking it up and some people say they do it all the time and nothing bad comes of it but others say that their hair started falling out and other horrendous things like that. I'll list the ingredients of both products for reference.

The Good Stuff Hair Care:
Shampoo Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Benzoate, Gluconolactone, Citric Acid, Coconut Acid, Polyquaternium-10, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Disodium EDTA, PPG-9, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

Herbal Essences Rosehip Line:
Shampoo Ingredients:Water/Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Extract, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Fragrance/Parfum, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 33, Orange 4, Ext. Violet 2, Green 3.

*All the information, I found on the respective sites of the products
https://www.thegoodstuffhair.com/us/en/our-products/shampoo/gentle-shampoo.html
https://herbalessences.com/en-us/discover-products/collections/smooth-collection/smooth-collection-shampoo

milosmomma
April 16th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Yes I make mixtures all the time, usually oils in my conditioner but I've done alot of experimenting. If both products are fine by themselves then in theory they should also be fine together. I would use them the first few times just mixing in your hands instead of combining the bottles on the off chance something adverse happens, just so you don't waste both products(you can't un-mix) and then combine after your trial runs.

akurah
April 16th, 2019, 10:54 PM
I would mix them in your hands first. I would not be worried about any chemical reaction. I would be worried about the perfume smelling bad together when mixed.

JennGalt
April 17th, 2019, 12:27 AM
If someone told me their hair started falling out from mixing shampoos or conditioners I would assume they may have had some hormonal or nutritional issues or stress side effects or some other health problem that coincidentally became noticeable around the same time they mixed products. Hair loss has waaaay too many variables and causes, and barring harsh chemical treatments like bleach mishap horror stories, it’s more likely caused by something going on internally.

Also I mix products when I am running out of something and want to use every last bit. I have two different conditioners right now that I use depending on the smells of the shampoo and/or DC I’m using :lol: but I always mix them right before I use them. I don’t mix up a batch and leave it for future showers. I think you should be fine as long as you use common sense—if your scalp gets irritated or the resulting smell is intolerable, then stop.

ETA: :liar: I just remembered I actually have a mostly empty third conditioner that’s been sitting on the edge of the shower waiting to be mixed with something so I can use it up completely. You get my point. I don’t think mixing is an issue.

LadyCelestina
April 17th, 2019, 12:52 AM
Mixing is an issue because it can throw off the preservatives in either product, ie. the mixture might eventually spoil and you'll have to throw out the whole concoction, which is a waste.

I would mix them right before using.

akurah
April 17th, 2019, 08:53 AM
Mixing is an issue because it can throw off the preservatives in either product, ie. the mixture might eventually spoil and you'll have to throw out the whole concoction, which is a waste.

I would mix them right before using.

Yeah I wasn't thinking about this last night. You should only mix immediately prior use.

lapushka
April 17th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Sometimes one shampoo "almost" runs out before I begin another one. If I have the same shampoo on hand, I will use it, but if I want a different one, I *will* add the different one; no problem.

I think it will be fine. :)

ETA/ Do mix on the spot though, no mixing the two bottles into one and then using it. I would not do that!