PDA

View Full Version : Sudden appearance of split ends! HELP!

Miss P
April 15th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Hi all,

I've recently hit waist and have decided to continue onward. However, I've suddenly developed split ends. I haven't changed my wash/dry method (CO wash, air dry), my oiling method/type (coconut oil once a week) or my sleeping style (loose braid).
I'm currently in damage repair mode and have trimmed off an inch and a half :( and deep conditioning regularly.
Why has this happened? Will it stop my journey at waist? How can I prevent it or adjust my routine to prevent it?
Any explanation or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

SwanFeathers
April 15th, 2019, 08:31 AM
Splits happen. Its very rare for anyone with long to not have them (Lapushka is a unicorn) so dont go into a trim frenzy.
It may be that with this routine, your hair just naturally starts to show wear and tear at this point, remember those ends are old! With my fine hair, even with good care I started getting them at SL. It could just be that your hairtie has worn down the spot you tie it at night if its always in the same spot.
A few here and there is fine, how bad are we talking about?

Haven
April 15th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Do you wear it down often? I think once your hair gets longer, wearing it down can easily cause mechanical damage you might not even think about (rubbing against things you lean on, clothes, getting caught between things, etc.). It's certainly a bad habit I have that I notice gives me more split ends than when I bun it :p

It also depends how many splits you have. I think, if you didn't notice any before, a few popping up by waist length is normal. I don't think it's realistic to avoid splits altogether, just reduce them (which trimming and deep conditioning should certainly help with).

TreesOfEternity
April 15th, 2019, 08:58 AM
How often do you trim? I recently reached waist and have gone a year without trims: splits are starting to appear. I have dye damage from years ago, is that your case as well?

I think as you reach milestones, you may have to adjust your routine, at least that’s the case for me. Sometimes what used to work doesn’t anymore and you may need a leave in, more cones, more protective styles... or just a trim or two once a year.
You are the only one who can figure that out, but some splits are normal and I wouldn’t worry that much :flower:

lapushka
April 15th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Why didn't you just S&D the splits out. If there aren't too many it is better to snip them out one by one, which is what S&D stands for "search & destroy". You snip the *one hair* about an inch above the split end; that's it.

No need to trim!

lapushka
April 15th, 2019, 09:05 AM
Splits happen. Its very rare for anyone with long to not have them (Lapushka is a unicorn) so dont go into a trim frenzy.
It may be that with this routine, your hair just naturally starts to show wear and tear at this point, remember those ends are old! With my fine hair, even with good care I started getting them at SL. It could just be that your hairtie has worn down the spot you tie it at night if its always in the same spot.
A few here and there is fine, how bad are we talking about?

Yeah, I look at my hair often enough, granted just a glance, but I never see any. :shrug:

After my recent 4 inch / 10 cm trim, there shouldn't be any - for sure!

SwanFeathers
April 15th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I look at my hair often enough, granted just a glance, but I never see any. :shrug:

Lol I wish I had sturdy hair like yours
P.s. the unicorn thing was intended as a compliment.

lapushka
April 15th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Lol I wish I had sturdy hair like yours
P.s. the unicorn thing was intended as a compliment.

Yes, I understood that. :D Still, I wonder why, though. :hmm: Might it be because I throw so much moisture at it? It could very well be!

MusicalSpoons
April 15th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Congratulations on reaching waist! Splits need not halt your journey onwards :) If you've been wearing it down, that's the cause for sure. If not, it might just need a little extra moisturising, or maybe less coconut oil, or gentler detangling - those ends are older and therefore slightly more fragile naturally. If there's any old damage then that could also explain it (heat tools or chemical processing, even once in the past 4/5 years).

Mine are all throughout my hair so even a 4 inch trim wouldn't get rid of them all ... maybe a 4 foot trim would do it :rollin:

lapushka
April 15th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Mine are all throughout my hair so even a 4 inch trim wouldn't get rid of them all ... maybe a 4 foot trim would do it :rollin:

Giiiiirl! :lol: How big are your splits? :p

zmirina
April 15th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Congratulations on reaching waist! Splits need not halt your journey onwards :) If you've been wearing it down, that's the cause for sure. If not, it might just need a little extra moisturising, or maybe less coconut oil, or gentler detangling - those ends are older and therefore slightly more fragile naturally. If there's any old damage then that could also explain it (heat tools or chemical processing, even once in the past 4/5 years).

Same. I have splits at all lengths of my hair, especially in the front parts. Somehow the back of my head is pretty much split end free, but everything in the front has little white dots and brushes of smashed hair

milosmomma
April 15th, 2019, 03:12 PM
I am very close to waist and have noticed exactly the same. I think as mentioned my routine may need some tweaking. I agree that the ends are older now and slightly more fragile so protective styling is a must at this length. I still wear half ups occasionally and down to dry a few times a week which might contribute. I also feel like I'm reaching the length where braids are not much protection any more, just from the amount of friction/braid shred I get.
Another thing is that as the hair gets longer, we can easily see more of the ends, and see more of the splits. I four inch trim wouldn't rid my splits either, they are all up and down the length. Actually not many nearer to the ends. I try to avoid trimming, in favor of s&d and find that the closer to waist, the longer I can s&d and still find splits. At bsl I could s&d for a half hour and then be struggling to find more but lately I find many more. I haven't been oiling as heavily or as often lately so I am going to try that and will suggest to you too. I would avoid coconut oil thought, it is drying for me and would likely give me more splits, but try a nut oil(almond, macadamia) or olive for something heavier.
I haven't used cones for quite a while, but I may go back to them if the splits continue to multiply. They helped my control my splits while growing damaged bleach/dyed hair to hip in the past so with virgin hair they should really help cure the problem. The downside of cones for me is the harsher shampoo I must use to remove them, but the trade off is usually worth it. :)

ArabellaRose
April 15th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Is there anything you're using that could be causing build up? I started improving my haircare routine last year and whilst my hair felt nicer and more moisturised and I had started using protective styling I actually noticed an increase in splits. This only stopped when I realised something I was using was causing build up, now I clarify and deep condition once a week my hair is experiencing the least amount of damage it's ever had.

MusicalSpoons
April 15th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Giiiiirl! :lol: How big are your splits? :p

Baaahahahaha! :laugh: not long, just on all lengths of hair (somehow). Take my diva hairs out of the equation - the white-blonde ones near my temples/hairline that want to split or crumble rather than grow - and a 3 foot trim might take care of the splits on normal hairs :lol:

(My hair isn't *full* of splits, though I have more than a few, they're just at lengths throughout rather than concentrated at my hemline. At the hemline I actually don't find many at all!)

lapushka
April 15th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Baaahahahaha! :laugh: not long, just on all lengths of hair (somehow). Take my diva hairs out of the equation - the white-blonde ones near my temples/hairline that want to split or crumble rather than grow - and a 3 foot trim might take care of the splits on normal hairs :lol:

(My hair isn't *full* of splits, though I have more than a few, they're just at lengths throughout rather than concentrated at my hemline. At the hemline I actually don't find many at all!)

Maybe I should look farther up my hair. I only look at about the last 4 inches or so.

Miss P
April 15th, 2019, 10:02 PM
From my check of the ends before my trim...just about every third hair had split in two or even three. You are probably right about the fineness contributing as my hair seems to endlessly tangle like spiderweb.

Miss P
April 15th, 2019, 10:05 PM
Do you wear it down often? I think once your hair gets longer, wearing it down can easily cause mechanical damage you might not even think about (rubbing against things you lean on, clothes, getting caught between things, etc.). It's certainly a bad habit I have that I notice gives me more split ends than when I bun it :p

It also depends how many splits you have. I think, if you didn't notice any before, a few popping up by waist length is normal. I don't think it's realistic to avoid splits altogether, just reduce them (which trimming and deep conditioning should certainly help with).

I don't usually wear my hair down as it's too hot where I live.

Miss P
April 15th, 2019, 10:09 PM

I think you and TreesOfEternity are right-my routine probably needs to be adjusted more towards retain and protect than grow and go. It's also likely to be the last dregs of my dyed hair that's splitting. Moisture seems to be the best option for me. Thanks.