PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle ideas for friend's baby shower!

Corvana
April 15th, 2019, 02:57 AM
I could just toss it up in a bun and be done with it, but this is the only person IRL that I know who has even a vague interest in very long hair (she's mentioned wanting classic+). I haven't seen her in nearly a year now, and her baby shower is coming up in a few weeks!

So I'd like to have my hair down to show her how far it's come! But also not just down and boring :laugh:. I'm thinking a half-up, but what kind?! I'd prefer nothing overly complicated, but I'm not opposed to trying to learn a simple braid style. I can do a french or dutch braid, but they're never good, and I haven't really tried anything like a waterfall braid or a lace braid. Rope braids I can do easy peasy, but not french rope braids.

I've got bobby pins, spin pins, clear elastics, a couple (non matching) small flexis, lots of sticks (no pairs, but several that coordinate). I feel like I have too many options :laugh: I am sort of leaning towards half-up double buns, but at the same time idk!

spitfire511
April 15th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I like the half up idea! (Though I never think just down is boring... :D )

Maybe try tooo - some buns that you don't manage as well with your full length that would be fun to try! Whatever you decide, post pics! :D

Lady Stardust
April 15th, 2019, 09:09 AM
Lace braids are really easy, if that’s something you’re thinking about trying. They’re like French or Dutch braids but you just add in the hair from one side rather than both sides. They’re nice as an accent if you want to look like you’ve made an effort.

I love the look of waterfall braids but don’t know how to do them.

A half up with double buns sounds like a fun style :)

AmaryllisRed
April 15th, 2019, 09:59 AM
I was going to say a waterfall braid.
Or a waterfall twist if you want something a little simpler with the same effect.

Begemot
April 15th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Double buns sound adorable! If you have time, try making couple of test up-dos :) So you will see what you like best and how well each up-do holds up.

lapushka
April 15th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Half-up with a Nautilus, and stick a pretty flexi or stick on it. Done! Doesn't need to be complicated to be pretty. :D

Corvana
April 15th, 2019, 03:40 PM
I like the half up idea! (Though I never think just down is boring... :D )

Maybe try tooo - some buns that you don't manage as well with your full length that would be fun to try! Whatever you decide, post pics! :D

:laugh: I think I do just because it seems to be the default around here (and is certainly the default for my friend).

I bet there's some buns I could do with just half my hair that'd be nice :hmm:

Lace braids are really easy, if that’s something you’re thinking about trying. They’re like French or Dutch braids but you just add in the hair from one side rather than both sides. They’re nice as an accent if you want to look like you’ve made an effort.

I love the look of waterfall braids but don’t know how to do them.

A half up with double buns sounds like a fun style :)

Oh they actually sound easier than a full dutch/french braid, because you've only got the one side to keep track of!

I was going to say a waterfall braid.
Or a waterfall twist if you want something a little simpler with the same effect.

I've been thinking about waterfall braids a lot, because they're up some, but also still all down. I've got some weird anxiety about half-ups because it always feels (to me) like I've got like four whole hairs left down and it looks stupid etc etc.

Double buns sound adorable! If you have time, try making couple of test up-dos :) So you will see what you like best and how well each up-do holds up.

I should probably do that, yeah. I'd need to do it with freshly washed hair, as I plan to wash the night before so it's at its nicest when down!

Half-up with a Nautilus, and stick a pretty flexi or stick on it. Done! Doesn't need to be complicated to be pretty. :D

That's certainly true!

AmaryllisRed
April 15th, 2019, 05:26 PM
I know what you mean about half-ups leaving like no hair left down. When I do a half-up, I take all the hair from like eye-level and up, but THEN I go underneath and let a lot of the hair in the middle fall back down. So it *looks* like a half-up but it's really just the top layer of the hair.

milosmomma
April 16th, 2019, 10:37 PM
If you're worried about not having enough hair left down, how about 2 smaller braids on either side in the front and then joined with a flexi in the back? You can just take the small section in front of your ear and leave the rest, then pulling them back still semi-contains everthing just as well as a half up would.

ETA; here's a terrible example of what I mean, I'm sure it could look alot neater :lol: It was a quick style to demo the new clip
https://i.imgur.com/KEA1LpEm.jpg