PDA

View Full Version : Irritated about cost at the salon... Should have been told

Beckstar
April 14th, 2019, 05:40 PM
I got my bangs trimmed today and it was $5.95. I made sure to check the prices to make sure there wasn't anything hidden or a surprise. She sprayed my bangs down and trimmed them. She asked if I wanted her to dry them and I said yes. So she took a quick swipe with the round brush and a blow dryer. When I get to the cash register it was $10.95. she didn't tell me that it would be $5 for the drying. I paid but I really think that that wasn't very customer friendly not to tell me. I did not leave a tip.

ETA:
I'm on a super tight budget now and today even just a little bitty thing was a splurging and a treat for me.

sugar&nutmeg
April 14th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Oh heck no! How to lose customers in one easy lesson. I'm sorry this happened to you.

One of the reasons I let my hair grow (of many) is that my stylist basically makes up what she's going to charge, and it changes all the time. It's not even based on different services. Even when DH gets his hair cut, it's never the same $.

I cannot do that. I can sorta-kinda-maybe afford it, but I can't DO that. I need to know up front, as you say.

AmaryllisRed
April 14th, 2019, 06:04 PM
I'm sorry that happened.
In my experience, if you sit under the dryer it's free; if they use the blow dryer it counts as "styling" and it's not free. If I don't want to pay extra, I always ask. I hate doing it because it seems cheap of me, but yeah. $5 is $5 and I need to know what it's going to cost up front.

Alexandrina
April 14th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Wow, I never would have guessed that would be extra, to dry your bangs after they trimmed them. Especially as they weren't drying your whole head, just like what, two inches of hair?

Kat
April 14th, 2019, 07:03 PM
Wow, I never would have guessed that would be extra, to dry your bangs after they trimmed them. Especially as they weren't drying your whole head, just like what, two inches of hair?

I wouldn't think so, either... I would assume that drying is included with the price of the haircut, since cuts usually involved spraying the hair damp even if they don't wash it-- and to me I would think you wouldn't let a customer leave with wet/unfinished hair (especially in the winter...). It would be one thing if drying is usual and they opted themselves to not have it blow-dryed, but to have that not included and you have to pay extra...!

Dark40
April 14th, 2019, 08:38 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Yeah, she should've told you the total cost for everything.

Begemot
April 15th, 2019, 12:06 AM
Not cool :( I would be super annoyed too. She should have said it's going to cost. Honestly, I try to be understanding towards hairdressers but I don't understand how you can ask a customer to pay for drying their bangs...? That is like a 1 min job at most.

embee
April 15th, 2019, 05:25 AM
Cost is one big reason I let my hair grow. I was in the same situation as you are, Beckstar: just decided to divorce, no extra money just lying around. Hair was pretty bad for a while, until it got long enough to pull back into a low pony.

But *unknown* cost, that's just over the top. I'd not know how to handle that nicely. Perhaps you can find a barber shop (old style) and get bangs trimmed there for some set low rate? It's been so many years since I needed that, I no longer even know if such shops exist.

spitfire511
April 15th, 2019, 06:55 AM
Cost is one big reason I let my hair grow. I was in the same situation as you are, Beckstar: just decided to divorce, no extra money just lying around. Hair was pretty bad for a while, until it got long enough to pull back into a low pony.

Oh this - that's actually one way I got past BSL, where I stuck forever - being too broke for salon. I only self trim now - though I know that's much harder at shorter lengths!

SO sorry this happened beckstar - surprises in $ = not cool.

nycelle
April 15th, 2019, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't think so, either... I would assume that drying is included with the price of the haircut, since cuts usually involved spraying the hair damp even if they don't wash it-- and to me I would think you wouldn't let a customer leave with wet/unfinished hair (especially in the winter...). It would be one thing if drying is usual and they opted themselves to not have it blow-dryed, but to have that not included and you have to pay extra...!

Blow drying is generally considered an separate service, and they charge extra. But, they know that many clients either don't want to pay, or prefer to do it themselves, so they let them use their tools to blow dry.
If someone walks out with wet hair, it's on them.

I am sorry you didn't know Beckstar, I hate surprises as well.

lapushka
April 15th, 2019, 09:43 AM
WHAT?! That's like almost double the price for just flipping a round brush through, that's extortionate. :shocked:

mackensey
April 16th, 2019, 02:18 AM
I've never been to a hair salon without them styling my hair afterwards for free. I can't believe she made you pay $5 for bangs!

illicitlizard
April 16th, 2019, 05:57 AM
Ok that is absolutely ridiculous! I've only been to one salon that charged extra for blow drying and I'll never return. Finishing ought to be included in the cost, you can't send someone outside with wet hair what the actual flip. So sorry you had to go through that nonsense!