PDA

View Full Version : Hair help!

TeaAndSketches
April 14th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Hello friends,

So I've been having problems with my hair and scalp health lately. In the past, I've used a lot of different products in the past just because I thought I had to take care of my hair a certain way but now, I'm really working to just being honest with myself and using what works best for my scalp and hair. I struggle a lot with scalp acne and scabs and the only way I have found to relieve this issue is to cover my scalp with oil to keep it moisturized before I shampoo it. I cannot go long without shampooing or my scalp acts up. About two months ago, I started working at a restaurant and due to having to take out the trash and generally dealing with food and cleaning, I basically shampooed my hair every other day if not everyday. I also oiled my hair excessively to make up for the amount I was washing. Now, I don't really know what to do for my hair since it is still dry and frizzy, as if the oil treatments don't really work anymore. I'm just trying to find a good balance between not having an irritated oily scalp and dry hair, but also not over oiling my hair that it gets greasy fast.

After some more trial and error, I've got my hair stash pretty minimized for my own sanity.
Shampoo- The Good Stuff Gentle Shampoo
Conditioner- The Good Stuff Intensive Nourishment Cream (No-rinse conditioner/leave in conditioner)
Hair Mask- Raw Sugar Healing Power Hair Masque
Hair Oil- OGX Argan Oil Penetrating Oil

So I will shampoo, step out the shower and use the conditioner and that's about it. I will use the hair mask as a pre-shampoo to save water and the hair oil for my ends.

Any advice? Sorry for the long post!

Corvana
April 14th, 2019, 06:00 PM
You need to see a doctor or dermatologist, if possible. A scabbing scalp isn't something that's usually fixed with unmedicated means! And even if your shampoo is working, it's probably best to get it checked out so you know what's up in case the shampoo stops working.

Oil doesn't moisturize, it just locks in moisture. You have to moisturize your hair first for the oil to have something to lock in! Otherwise it's just locking moisture out. And then for a general wash routine question, have you tried the CWC method? It's condition-wash-condition, which sounds like you condition-rinse-wash-rinse-condition, but actually it's condition your lengths-wash your scalp-rinse-condition your lengths. And then rinse again.

But first should be getting your scalp checked out! It could be eczema, or psoriasis, or seborrheic dermatitis, all of which require different methods of care. And sometimes the method for one will make another one worse, so you need to know exactly what's up so you know exactly what you need to do to treat it.

Cate36
April 15th, 2019, 09:24 PM
I don't think oiling is a good option for dry hair as it doesn't always absorb.. most oils coat the hair, and coconut oil that does absorb, is not easy to remove, so takes extra washing, removing the benefit of coating the hair in the first place. I don't know if this will help you, but I have been using Bondi Boost products and have found them truly excellent. Google them and read the reviews. The hair mask if great, very very softening, and the shampoos are so so gentle.. in terms of scalp care, they have really helped me - 100% natural ingredients that are so beneficial for hair and great customer service. I do not scab and do not suffer from Acne, but I have found a massive difference since using them, and the reviews from thousands of other users, really speak for themselves.. Sorry, wish I could help more..

lapushka
April 16th, 2019, 02:22 AM
Any advice? Sorry for the long post!

Oil might be the last thing your scalp needs and you're using a lot of it. If it is something like SD (seborrheic dermatitis) for example, then oil is not your friend.

BUT! Corvana is right on the money: go see a doctor for your scalp. If SD is the culprit then you need a prescription for a medicated shampoo (and do use it as prescribed, so read the instructions carefully, it's not just "washing" with it you need to do). If SD or any scalp condition is left untreated and "messed with", it can cause more hair loss than normal!

It might be a lot of things, eczema, psoriasis, etc. There are so many scalp conditions.

So: doctor. :flower:

HTH!

dove4
April 16th, 2019, 01:11 PM
What do you think is causing your scalp issues? Does your water have a lot of chlorine, minerals, or anything that could irritate your scalp? Have you tried a shower filter?

When did this problem start? If it started when you moved, it's probably the shower water or an allergy to something.

How does your scalp feel when you travel, and wash your hair in different locations?

TeaAndSketches
April 16th, 2019, 01:29 PM
No, that helps a lot, thank you!

TeaAndSketches
April 16th, 2019, 01:31 PM
What do you think is causing your scalp issues? Does your water have a lot of chlorine, minerals, or anything that could irritate your scalp? Have you tried a shower filter?

When did this problem start? If it started when you moved, it's probably the shower water or an allergy to something.

How does your scalp feel when you travel, and wash your hair in different locations?

I feel like this was actually a quite recent problem, I don't remember having scabbing and acne like this a few years ago. I used to just shampoo and condition and that was the extent of my hair care routine. I didn't even really pay any attention to my product ingredients, so I don't think it is an allergy or anything. I have soft water where I live and I've lived in the same house my whole life so I don't think it has anything to do with the water. It might be a sensitivity I've developed or something, I'm not quite sure.

lapushka
April 16th, 2019, 01:47 PM
I feel like this was actually a quite recent problem, I don't remember having scabbing and acne like this a few years ago. I used to just shampoo and condition and that was the extent of my hair care routine. I didn't even really pay any attention to my product ingredients, so I don't think it is an allergy or anything. I have soft water where I live and I've lived in the same house my whole life so I don't think it has anything to do with the water. It might be a sensitivity I've developed or something, I'm not quite sure.

Scalp issues can crop up whenever. That doesn't necessarily mean it's something you did or that was recently changed in your routine. It's funny like that.

Hope it gets better before it gets worse! :flower:

soldierssong
April 16th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Oh, no. I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. you might want to try some baby shampoo, since that is made esp for sensitive skin. But please, go see a doctor.

Lady Stardust
April 16th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Oh, no. I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. you might want to try some baby shampoo, since that is made esp for sensitive skin. But please, go see a doctor.

I think the main job of baby shampoo is not to sting when it gets in the child’s eyes. I was surprised at how drying it was when I started using it for my daughter. I don’t know that it’s as gentle as it is sometimes advertised to be.

lapushka
April 16th, 2019, 02:28 PM

Oh no no no. Baby shampoo is not as innocent as that. Most contain SL(E)S so they aren't "milder". The pH may be different so as not to sting the baby or child's eye, but... that's about it. It doesn't mean it is better for an adult scalp!

Lady Stardust
April 16th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Oh no no no. Baby shampoo is not as innocent as that. Most contain SL(E)S so they aren't "milder". The pH may be different so as not to sting the baby or child's eye, but... that's about it. It doesn't mean it is better for an adult scalp!

I think we posted around the same time. I even bought sulphate free baby shampoo and it’s pretty drying, on skin anyway (it’s a body and hair wash). It doesn’t seem to dry out hair but it’s definitely not gentle.

Ylva
April 16th, 2019, 04:17 PM
The usual baby shampoo ingredients list I see is like this: water, sulfate, sulfate, sulfate, sulfate, sulfate, sulfate, sulfate, sulfate, sulfate, sulfate, sulfate. :laugh:

milosmomma
April 17th, 2019, 07:44 PM
The shea moisture baby shampoo seemed to be very gentle, I only had one bottle and I'm not sure of the ingredients from memory. Honestly I'm sure if you just look at the labels and avoid the harsher cleansing ingredients most of them will not be baby shampoos :lol: