PDA

View Full Version : My braided Chinese bun won't hold!

UrbanEast
November 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I love the Braided Chinese bun, which I make according to the instructions on DressyTresses http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/china-sticks/

But the problem is that it never holds--one or both sticks usually end up falling out. :rolleyes: That's probably due to the first step: When I put the stick through the two braids, it barely stays in there.

For those who've done the braided Chinese bun: How do you get this thing to hold? Do you put it in a ponytail first? Or is there something else I can do?

Thanks!

sahiba
November 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Try braiding your braids as close as possible. Maybe it'll make a difference.

Bene
November 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
what are you using to pin the ends in? if that's too loose, it might not be holding the sticks in.

Shorty89
November 5th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I find that with just double braids it's too loose. I either do a pony tail or use french braids. I hope that helps :flower:

Gumball
November 5th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I do a ponytail and then make the two braids from that. Then I just stick the hairstick in right before the hair tie. The bun usually holds great, but since I'm a "just in case" kind of person I add a few pins in to ensure it's secure. Good luck on yours, UrbanEast!

UrbanEast
November 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! I try to make the braids as close together as I can, but it's hard to make them right next to each other since I have to pull them over my shoulder to finish the braid. About he long tassel at the ends: I haven't figured out how to tuck that in.

Do you use a tie to hold the braids? I think I may have to use the ponytail method. Do you find that it looks as good with the ponytail holder as it does without?

plainjanegirl
November 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I only use one stick and I use a scrunchy around the braids to hold them in along with a few hair pins. Hope that makes sense. And yes I think if you use a ponytail first it still looks good.

Lisa-Maria
November 6th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Haven't tried doing this style with two braids yet but I'm able to do it with just one braid. The key is to make the beginning of the braid firm, I make a Danilyn braid (at least i think that's what its called) or a scrunchi. If you make the beginning of the braid too lose the whole style will slip, twist and become unbalanced even before the ends are secured. Hope that helps :)

Boudicca
November 6th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I wear this style a lot. It's so secure that I find I can even wear it to dance class. i think the best way to do it is to ponytail first. I sometimes pin it to be on the safe side, but it generally doesn't need it.

AprilElf
November 6th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Wrapping the braids with firm and even tension around the horizontal hairstick should be enough to keep the style secure. Pinning should only be necessary to keep the ends tucked under.

I do two braids as close together as I can at the back of my head. Nothing fancy, just plain English braids that start just above the nape. I don't make a ponytail first. When I thread the hairstick through the tops of these braids it does sit fairly loosely, so I have to hold it steady and horizontal (with my third hand, LOL!) while doing the first wrap around.