PDA

View Full Version : The difficulty of applying styling products to long hair (LOC/LCO method) [video]

lapushka
April 13th, 2019, 01:08 PM
BiancaReneeToday has SpankieValentine on her channel. And she is desperately trying to style her long hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZclo1eBsoM

This is exactly one of the reasons why I cut my hair back to classic. I felt like I needed to make a choice between styling it and finding another way to keep it contained.

neko_kawaii
April 13th, 2019, 01:23 PM
What is the difference between styling and containment?

Style literally means "a manner of doing something", but if you are talking latest fashion that is a whole different discussion and is going to depend greatly by individuals.

I think a single braid (or four braids as she starts with in the video) is a lovely style. If your perspective is "Braids are ugly containment" then you have limited your styling options. In addition to the limitations already imposed by your length/thickness and any physical limitations like not being able to fully lift your arms or lift them for long periods of time which I know some LHC members deal with and have found beautiful styles (that contain their hair) that work for them.

At knee+ there are very few LHC styles of containment that I can't do due to excessive length. A peacock twist is awkward past a certain length, but you can do a French twist and stuff the excess length in there and have the ends sticking out or there are a couple buns that can be done to similar effect.

lapushka
April 13th, 2019, 01:34 PM
With styling, I mean the LOC/LCO method, so putting products in that contain "hold".

And it is difficult for me personally (with my arms/hands on top + legs already) to be able to contribute much to wash day as it is. So when the hair grows "out of reach" it is doubly difficult, which is why FTL+ had gotten just too long for me.

desisparkles
April 13th, 2019, 01:35 PM
The sounds when Biancee was brushing her hair though, eesh Biancee.

I liked Spankie's way of styling. Easy and still beautiful, win win.

littlestarface
April 13th, 2019, 01:41 PM
I have knee length+ and I don't find it all that difficult but sheesh man the way that girl just rips that TT through her hair ouch! And donate it come on man, like seriously? If I can do it then its not so difficult and i'm lazy as heck.

neko_kawaii
April 13th, 2019, 02:09 PM
With styling, I mean the LOC/LCO method, so putting products in that contain "hold".

And it is difficult for me personally (with my arms/hands on top + legs already) to be able to contribute much to wash day as it is. So when the hair grows "out of reach" it is doubly difficult, which is why FTL+ had gotten just too long for me.

So basically, you discovered that your ability to add leave in products to your hair became limited after a certain length due to a physical limitation.

Would you like the thread title changed to “The Difficulty of Applying Styling Products to Long Hair” ?

lapushka
April 13th, 2019, 02:32 PM
So basically, you discovered that your ability to add leave in products to your hair became limited after a certain length due to a physical limitation.

Would you like the thread title changed to “The Difficulty of Applying Styling Products to Long Hair” ?

Oh that's fine, yes! :D Thank you! I hope it opens up more discussion.

I'm sure as a wavy or curly you either go for styling products at a certain length or then suddenly need to forego them to braid, as is seen very clearly in the video. I think the video is pretty much on point and it's so marked that that just happened to me this past week (well, had been happening for a number of weeks, but got too much at one point).

I can still cope with classic, and up to FTL, yes, pretty much, but past that length... it is very hard to deal with... for me! I say, for me!

blackgothicdoll
April 13th, 2019, 02:51 PM
I was done listening to Bianca Renee when she shaded Spankie putting her hair in braids. Clearly what she does with her hair works, plus a styler is not a necessity. In general she's annoying and I can't watch her videos without feeling irritated but yeah, her condescending tone was just unnecessary.

Never heard of Spankie before but her hair is just gorgeous right out of the braids, I'd be thrilled to just wear my hair like that. And that was easy for her. So why reinvent the wheel?

JennGalt
April 13th, 2019, 06:16 PM
I generally like Bianca’s sunny disposition and watch her videos because of that (and hoping that one day may hair will curl as uniformly as hers), but I wanted to slap her when she asked Spankie if she ever dipped her hair in the toilet.

leayellena
April 14th, 2019, 12:16 AM

wait a minute: are you saying it's difficult to apply leave-ins to hair longer than ftl? I don't really think so because I already lift my hair and take it over my sholder no matter if I comb it or co-wash/wcc. if it's difficult to apply leave-in when your hair is damp, how do you manage your long hair drenched with water in the bathtub? :confused::hmm::bigeyes:

lapushka
April 14th, 2019, 03:59 AM
I generally like Bianca’s sunny disposition and watch her videos because of that (and hoping that one day may hair will curl as uniformly as hers), but I wanted to slap her when she asked Spankie if she ever dipped her hair in the toilet.

Yeah that was... I just shook my head. I think Spankie handled it well, though!

lapushka
April 14th, 2019, 04:01 AM
wait a minute: are you saying it's difficult to apply leave-ins to hair longer than ftl? I don't really think so because I already lift my hair and take it over my sholder no matter if I comb it or co-wash/wcc. if it's difficult to apply leave-in when your hair is damp, how do you manage your long hair drenched with water in the bathtub? :confused::hmm::bigeyes:

For me I just hated having to lift up the hair to be able to scrunch my products in. Now I can "just" reach, and it's perfect. I love classic length on me. It suits me, and it's easy enough to deal with. I am going to be teeter-totting between classic & FTL during the year and that is do-able for me.

It gets a little more challenging with added length, for sure, but you have to decide for yourself whether or not it's worth it.

lithostoic
April 14th, 2019, 09:06 AM
It's definitely getting harder for me. I don't know if I can grow much longer than hip if I want to style my hair. I haven't been doing it lately.

Joules
April 14th, 2019, 10:03 AM
A short-haired lady is trying to teach a Rapunzel about long hair...that's hilarious, tbh :lol:

I find Bianca Renee annoying for some reason. I came across a few videos of hers a few months back, she has absolutely ridiculous and very misinformed view on silicones, sulfates and other "dangerous" ingredients, and she's talking about it with a face and intonations of an absolute expert. Yikes. The toilet question didn't help. Also her lecture about deep treatments, Spankie's hair looks fabulous, she's obviously doing something right, do you absolutely have to shame her for not using masks? When I see someone with healthy long hair who says they don't use masks, I usually start to question the whole purpose of masks rather than if the person is doing a right thing.

I love Spankie and her hair, I hope she doesn't cut it :heart:

In terms of length: I'm wondering if super long hair would be comfortable to style. That's why I set my goal to Classic. I love longer hair and I'd probably try growing longer (if it grows longer at all), but I'm not sure if having hair longer than my arms would be manageable for me.

lapushka
April 14th, 2019, 10:21 AM
In terms of length: I'm wondering if super long hair would be comfortable to style. That's why I set my goal to Classic. I love longer hair and I'd probably try growing longer (if it grows longer at all), but I'm not sure if having hair longer than my arms would be manageable for me.

It's not for me, but YMMV. I do have "affected" arms from a health condition but even then, I like to be able to "reach" my hair!

MusicalSpoons
April 14th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Disclaimer: I haven't watched the video.

It's not for me, but YMMV. I do have "affected" arms from a health condition but even then, I like to be able to "reach" my hair!

Weighing in here: I think it depends largely on the exact nature of one's imposed limitations (health, not by choice) combined with personal preference.

I cannot do intricate braided styles, can do a single braid with difficulty, and a single French or Dutch braid is maybe just about doable on a good day but completely exhausting - that's due to health limitations. Those limitations also affect my choice of buns or other updos. However, I don't do sectioned buns due to personal preference - my scalp doesn't like it, but that's nothing to do with my disability (although I don't know whether I would be able to if I wanted to try). I don't use styling products and I imagine applying them evenly to my hair would be incredibly awkward - that's still purely personal preference.

Why do I think it would be awkward? Well the first step, as I understand, is to put the product onto one's palm, run the palms together to spread it, then somehow apply an even, light coating to the hair. When you have to use one hand to lift the hair to be able to reach the last foot or so of hair, the hand holding the hair surely transfers a greater concentration of product in that one place and not even through the hair there, just on the outer edge of the hair being held. There must be a way of doing it but I just can't think of one :shrug: (but then I haven't needed to!)

Of course as I said it does depend on the exact nature of one's impairment(s) what is and isn't possible; I think it is important to recognise what is and isn't personal preference too, though. There's 'it's more hassle than I'm prepared to tolerate' and then there's 'I physically cannot do that' [whether it's physically impossible or because the exertion has unacceptable consequences] :)

lapushka
April 14th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Why do I think it would be awkward? Well the first step, as I understand, is to put the product onto one's palm, run the palms together to spread it, then somehow apply an even, light coating to the hair. When you have to use one hand to lift the hair to be able to reach the last foot or so of hair, the hand holding the hair surely transfers a greater concentration of product in that one place and not even through the hair there, just on the outer edge of the hair being held. There must be a way of doing it but I just can't think of one :shrug: (but then I haven't needed to!)

I only use a coin size of product, that is easy to spread between palms and from a sitting position I just scrunch it in. There is surely nothing "hard" about that. Not harder than braiding knee length, for sure! ;)

MusicalSpoons
April 14th, 2019, 02:52 PM
I only use a coin size of product, that is easy to spread between palms and from a sitting position I just scrunch it in. There is surely nothing "hard" about that. Not harder than braiding knee length, for sure! ;)

For braiding, I wrap it round my neck. I can't reach the end of my hair for things like ROO or conditioning without doing the hold and lift thing, or putting it on my knee whilst sitting in the shower - I don't think I'd want to do that with damp hair for putting in stylers after the shower :lol:

lapushka
April 14th, 2019, 03:03 PM
For braiding, I wrap it round my neck. I can't reach the end of my hair for things like ROO or conditioning without doing the hold and lift thing, or putting it on my knee whilst sitting in the shower - I don't think I'd want to do that with damp hair for putting in stylers after the shower :lol:

I don't put my stylers in in the shower. ;)

MusicalSpoons
April 14th, 2019, 03:17 PM
I don't put my stylers in in the shower. ;)

No, I gathered that ;) I meant after the shower, clothed, with damp hair, pooling my hair on my knee in order to reach the ends for putting stylers in probably wouldn't work for me :p

Like I said, there must be a way, but it's not something I've needed to find out :shrug:

meteor
April 14th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Honestly, it does look like Bianca is dealing with long hair for the first time in her life or something: she is super-uncomfortable using that Tangle Teezer and products on Spankie's long hair and, of course, asks that obligatory "Is it a problem when you go to the bathroom?" question... :lol:

I don't know why Bianca and folks in the comments seem so shocked that Spankie Valentine has a very simplistic routine, knows nothing of stylers and special treatments and has healthy long hair. I mean, that's probably exactly why she can easily keep her hair long. ;) Imagine trying to do extremely sophisticated, ultra-complex routines on really long and thick hair that is already hard enough to handle (and which automatically takes longer, as that video shows) and not frequently considering cutting it off? With calf length iii hair, I'd go crazy with doing much more than just S&C and maybe a bit of oil/detangling serum and I'd end up cutting my hair much shorter sooner or later. I feel like after a certain length every move needs to have a real purpose, like detangling and putting it in a simple braid and using silky scarf for bed... does, but adding more goop just because a manufacturer or some guru says so... does not. It really is important to keep it as simple as possible for me to keep my sanity and my hair long in the long run... and it's the long game that counts with retaining length and condition especially.

I've watched multiple hair videos by Spankie Valentine and they do seem to make quite a bit of sense to me: her updos are relatively simple and low-manipulation, and her routine is simple and doable, focused on reduction of tangles and breakage, and quite fitting for the length/texture/thickness she's working with IMHO. :flower:

desisparkles
April 14th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Off topic but...

How Biancee was treating her hair (not being gentle and kind of ridiculing her for having it so long) is exactly why I do everything to my hair myself.

It seems like there's no respect in all the care being put into it (even if it's not at long lengths).

One day I hope to trust a hairdresser again but I'm not holding my breath.