PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Soreness

FB
November 5th, 2008, 08:05 PM
For awhile now my scalp occassionally gets real sore around the crown of my head and the front of my hair line. I do not wear my hair in updos. I do not use any products like hairspray or gels. I wash my hair twice a week and I have tried oils. Can anyone please shed some light on my pain??? PLEASE!!!

HairColoredHair
November 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Have you changed shampoos/conditioners/washing methods?

Carolyn
November 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Yes it happens to me maybe once or twice a year. A good shampooing with real shampoo (not a CO wash) will take care of it. I give my scalp a nice massage with the pads of my fingertips and sometimes I use a light oil like jojoba oil. Then I brush well with my MP brush. I brush straight back and then I flip my hair over and bend at the waist and brush upside down. Then I give myself a really thorough shampooing with a plain old sulfate shampoo. I usually do 2 repeats of the shampoo and then use a rich moisturizing conditioner. My theory is sometimes the hair just "wants" to be shampooed. It's aching for shampoo :D This always cures the Hurting Hair Syndrome for me. Shampoo is not the evil thing that some make it out to be. It's not going to hurt to use it once in a while and this is one of the times.

HairColoredHair
November 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM
See, my scalp will do that in response to some shampoos... they must just be too strong and they make my scalp tight and achy.

Curlsgirl
November 6th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Scritching may help too.

pinkpanther2070
November 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM
The same thing happens to me from time to time in the very same areas.

Usually it kinda comes and just goes...it doesnt stay any longer then a day though

I hope to one day figure this issue out too!

FB
November 6th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I have not switched shampoos lately and I brush upside down and put oil on my scalp and bribe someone to massage it sometimes but it has just been hurting more frequently.

What shampoos do you recommend???

Speckla
November 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Scritching may help too.

What's that?
________
Mazda 757 Picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_757)

Vitalai
November 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM
What's that?

Here you go! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2185) :)

xrosiex
November 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Scritching may help too.

I agree with Curlsgirl. When my head gets sore I often try Scritching. I love it. It always makes my head feel so good.:)

Jessikinz
November 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hmm...I think I'm having the similar problem too. Except when mine hurts, it only hurts in one spot. This doesn't happen regularly though. Usually every odd couple months. I just scalp massage and it takes it away.

Tressie
November 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Have you looked, or had someone help you look, to make sure you don't have any scalp redness or irritation? I don't think I have had actual scalp soreness except after wearing a pony or something similar. I do have a dry skin itchy problem though.

Hope you are able to get this resolved somehow. Keep any eye on your thread as I'm sure you'll get some additional helpful advice to add to the earlier posts here. :)

Lucky
November 7th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I tend to get tender headed when my hair is a bit too oily and is due for a wash. As some other posters have mentioned, a good shampoo usually does the trick for me. For me any of the shampoos I have in rotation seem to work, along with a gentle massage while sudsing my hair. I don't know if this helps, but you're not alone in having a tender head :)

suicides_eve
November 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM
i second sritchin- just had this problem the other day follwed by a sugar rub and warm towel wrap:)

Arctic
November 7th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Some of the earliest answers made me think: I sometimes have this too, but I haven't much payed attention to it, nor recorded in my hairjournal, so I can't really say anything about any pattern I might have. From now on I'm sure to make notes in my journal.

Anyway, what got me thinking, was this: I had a horrible scalp break-out late in summer that lasted a long time and only recently got better (at the moment scalp is healthy). I propably have SD (not diagnozed) and my scalp got very irritated, red and bumpy, many of the hair follicles were infected (scalp folliculitis). BEFORE this started I had severe scalp ache for several days, then the bumps appeared.

I had vaguely thought they might be connected but now after reading this thread I really got curious.

I HAD started a new hair drying method before the scalp ache started so it might also be a culprit: I had started to fluff my scalp hairs with fingertips while it dried, several times during the drying process, to get more volume, to help hide the cow licks and to speed up the drying process.

Anyway this is something I'll start to keep track more, because if I canhelp not to have new scalp breakouts by recognizing the warning signs, that would be marvelous!!!

Aisha25
November 7th, 2008, 05:24 PM
My scalp it hurt after a hair bath until the next day. Usually means for me, I need to go more days until the next wash espessially in the winter time this happens.

Mahars
December 18th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Arctic I think you might be onto something with the fluffing idea. I just realized that my scalp soreness began shortly after I started brushing my hair upside down. I wonder if the pulling of the hair in the opposite direction has caused my soreness. I also got red irritated bumps shortly after the soreness started. Thanks for the idea!