PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Shed Thread....

spitfire511
April 8th, 2019, 02:45 PM
So I see we have a couple of threads where it's been brought up (and/or complained, whined, cried, gnashed teeth about!)

But nothing that's stuck around...

I've just started my annual on-my-gosh-it-feels-like-all-my-hair-is-falling-out shed. I deal with it because during the winter I seriously lose just the smallest amount of hair regularly (like less than 10 hairs in the shower drain and very few in the brush).

It's been pretty predictable at the start of spring since after I had kids and then hormones started getting all wonky past 40. And it's a good bit - reminds me of the postpartum hair loss, when all that glorious growth I got while pregnant went away.

Anyone else deal with this? Any tips/tricks/ideas?

I try to make sure I'm brushing regularly so I'm not leaving a trail of hair everywhere I go (seriously it's insane) and keep stress levels as low as possible and updos as well just to minimize external forces... but really I just knuckle down and get through it!

Tinyponies
April 8th, 2019, 03:04 PM
So I see we have a couple of threads where it's been brought up (and/or complained, whined, cried, gnashed teeth about!)

But nothing that's stuck around...

I've just started my annual on-my-gosh-it-feels-like-all-my-hair-is-falling-out shed. I deal with it because during the winter I seriously lose just the smallest amount of hair regularly (like less than 10 hairs in the shower drain and very few in the brush).

It's been pretty predictable at the start of spring since after I had kids and then hormones started getting all wonky past 40. And it's a good bit - reminds me of the postpartum hair loss, when all that glorious growth I got while pregnant went away.

Anyone else deal with this? Any tips/tricks/ideas?

I try to make sure I'm brushing regularly so I'm not leaving a trail of hair everywhere I go (seriously it's insane) and keep stress levels as low as possible and updos as well just to minimize external forces... but really I just knuckle down and get through it!

Great idea, and this will be helpful to figure out what’s going on for me... I’ve not been paying close enough attention for long enough to be sure what my pattern is. But the last couple of weeks my shed rate has been increasing... nothing like the amounts I lost during my big (stress?) shed but definitely around 1/3 more than I’ve been shedding this winter.

So, hey, we can be here for each other and I’ll come back and check in when I see changes.

Hugs !

spidermom
April 8th, 2019, 04:06 PM
I always think of the end of summer as the signal for hairs to jump off my head in alarming numbers.

lapushka
April 8th, 2019, 04:36 PM
I haven't noticed a shed of any kind yet. In fact I have been losing less hair over the last couple weeks - surprisingly. It is *so* odd to me.

Typically I shed in fall and spring, but last time I think I skipped fall too. I can lose more hair sometimes, but I just... don't worry about it.

This coming from someone who age 13/14 had bald patches due to hormonal imbalance (start of puberty). So I went through the wringer, so much so, that I know when to worry and when not to. That's at least one advantage, right (OMG). LOL!

Natalia_A00
April 8th, 2019, 05:14 PM
I'm having a big shed right now. My hair falls in chunks in the shower, I hate it! I was kind of worried but my friends told me it's a normal thing in the spring, they experience the same thing and that there's not much I can do. I hope this shed doesn't last too long, it's very stressing. I think this happens in autumn too, at least I notice it.
Also as my hair gets longer, it seems that I lose more when I look at the shower drain. 4 strands of hair together look like a whole clump!

spitfire511
April 9th, 2019, 06:35 AM
I always think of the end of summer as the signal for hairs to jump off my head in alarming numbers.

Gosh I wish mine would wait! It starts in the spring and just sort of drags on!

Great idea, and this will be helpful to figure out what’s going on for me... I’ve not been paying close enough attention for long enough to be sure what my pattern is. But the last couple of weeks my shed rate has been increasing... nothing like the amounts I lost during my big (stress?) shed but definitely around 1/3 more than I’ve been shedding this winter.

So, hey, we can be here for each other and I’ll come back and check in when I see changes.

Hugs !

Oh the stress shed! That's the WORST! I have a little bit of 'bangs' at the moment from one a couple of years ago... ugh.

I haven't noticed a shed of any kind yet. In fact I have been losing less hair over the last couple weeks - surprisingly. It is *so* odd to me.

Typically I shed in fall and spring, but last time I think I skipped fall too. I can lose more hair sometimes, but I just... don't worry about it.

This coming from someone who age 13/14 had bald patches due to hormonal imbalance (start of puberty). So I went through the wringer, so much so, that I know when to worry and when not to. That's at least one advantage, right (OMG). LOL!

Oh gosh - that's right lapushka! Yeah I definitely wouldn't be sweating this if I'd been through that! Perspective is always helpful! (Even if the wad of hair I the shower seems so alarming sometimes!

I'm having a big shed right now. My hair falls in chunks in the shower, I hate it! I was kind of worried but my friends told me it's a normal thing in the spring, they experience the same thing and that there's not much I can do. I hope this shed doesn't last too long, it's very stressing. I think this happens in autumn too, at least I notice it.
Also as my hair gets longer, it seems that I lose more when I look at the shower drain. 4 strands of hair together look like a whole clump!

Natalia that's a good point I'd thought about - it sure does 'look' worse when it's long. I was thinking that I didn't recall sheds like this when it was shorter, but I don't know that I would have noticed!

Begemot
April 9th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Great thread! :thumbsup:

I have noticed that I shed more than usual during late autumn (like trees shedding their leaves?). It's good to keep track of shedding cycles so you don't freak out when it happens and start stressing it too much (which in turn might make you shed even more). So I just breathe, relax and keep telling myself that it's going to pass. Sometimes I wonder if I should count my sheds to see what's my average but have felt too lazy to do that so far.

spitfire511
April 9th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Great thread! :thumbsup:

I have noticed that I shed more than usual during late autumn (like trees shedding their leaves?). It's good to keep track of shedding cycles so you don't freak out when it happens and start stressing it too much (which in turn might make you shed even more). So I just breathe, relax and keep telling myself that it's going to pass. Sometimes I wonder if I should count my sheds to see what's my average but have felt too lazy to do that so far.

Ahh - me too on the too lazy to count. I did a couple of times when it was just crazy - but I'm one of those that I think counting would make me MORE crazy about it not less!

Begemot
April 9th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Ahh - me too on the too lazy to count. I did a couple of times when it was just crazy - but I'm one of those that I think counting would make me MORE crazy about it not less!

Yeah that would be no good! shudder: Obsessing and stressing prone folks should probably stay away from counting sheds. Counting works for some but I don't think it's that important/necessary.

Simpscone
April 9th, 2019, 09:22 AM
I wasn't aware this was a thing! I've noticed the past few washes that I've had a lot more shed hair - I put it down to the fact I've given up dry brushing so was only finger detangling twice a week, but maybe it has something to do with this too! I'll keep my panic at bay for now then shudder:

spitfire511
April 9th, 2019, 09:42 AM
I wasn't aware this was a thing! I've noticed the past few washes that I've had a lot more shed hair - I put it down to the fact I've given up dry brushing so was only finger detangling twice a week, but maybe it has something to do with this too! I'll keep my panic at bay for now then shudder:

Oh boy - it's definitely a thing for some of it - seems like not everyone experiences it (not that I'm jealous or anything) but I've tracked it for enough years to know that I definitely do. I am curious to know if it happens more to those of us in places that truly have 4 seasons? I feel like as soon as I start seeing the horses at the barn shed that I start too! (Maybe I'm just a sympathy shedder... LOL) :D

milosmomma
April 9th, 2019, 04:04 PM
I think I might be having a spring shed. I have mentioned the post pardum that I was pretty sure is finished up, I shed normally for about a month or 6 weeks now with the exception of my monthly cycle(shed more the week of my period). But this whole past week I've been again shedding at a higher rate, not so bad as the post pregnancy but enough for me to collect my sheds to track it. I obsess about many things but I find that counting my sheds doesn't cause me any undue stress. If anything it helps. I don't count every time, but if I have a bad shedding day and a huge fall then I will count them and ball them up and either keep the ball(I have a hair rat and some other hair balls under my bathroom sink) or just make note of "ok this is a 50 hair shed ball, this one is 100 hair shed ball", so that I can just guestimate based on shed ball size. But I agree it's not for everyone and could make you stress more.
Great thread idea though, I think it will be immensely helpful because I know it can feel scary and isolating when you're going through it. Hugs!

lapushka
April 9th, 2019, 04:22 PM

Chunks (like literally bits of 2/3cm wide), those are chunks, anything else is normal.

If it is chunks, I would let a doctor have a look, but I'm guessing chunks is not what you meant. ;)

spitfire511
April 9th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Chunks (like literally bits of 2/3cm wide), those are chunks, anything else is normal.

If it is chunks, I would let a doctor have a look, but I'm guessing chunks is not what you meant. ;)
OH yes - this - it feels like chunks, (and while I did lose a lot in one place once - enough to look really bizarre growing back out - it's NOT chunks) I think it's always good to remember that!

I think I might be having a spring shed. I have mentioned the post pardum that I was pretty sure is finished up, I shed normally for about a month or 6 weeks now with the exception of my monthly cycle(shed more the week of my period). But this whole past week I've been again shedding at a higher rate, not so bad as the post pregnancy but enough for me to collect my sheds to track it. I obsess about many things but I find that counting my sheds doesn't cause me any undue stress. If anything it helps. I don't count every time, but if I have a bad shedding day and a huge fall then I will count them and ball them up and either keep the ball(I have a hair rat and some other hair balls under my bathroom sink) or just make note of "ok this is a 50 hair shed ball, this one is 100 hair shed ball", so that I can just guestimate based on shed ball size. But I agree it's not for everyone and could make you stress more.
Great thread idea though, I think it will be immensely helpful because I know it can feel scary and isolating when you're going through it. Hugs!

milosmomma I might give that try!~ I've never though that counting might help - I've always been so intimidated by the size that I haven't counted!

Ylva
April 11th, 2019, 08:23 PM
I've been looking for any signs of seasonal sheds in myself, but I just can't seem to spot any, nor have I ever noticed that I would've suddenly been shedding more. It's always been kind of the same, no matter what. However, I seem to shed different amounts from day to day and week to week even though my brushing or haircare habits don't change in any way that would affect that. Can a shed "cycle" be that short?

ETA: Just read spitfire's mention of the four seasons in relation to shedding. I have lived with four very distinct seasons all my life and my shedding is as described above. :shrug:

Cate36
April 13th, 2019, 09:13 PM
I'm a bit worried about this now.. I went through a massive shed in Jan and have been enjoying loosing no more than around 30 hairs a day since.. but now it's gone up.. just the last two days, and I don't know why and it is hugely distressing because my hair has just started to recover a little.. I don't know if it is seasonal (we're right at the end of summer, the clocks have just turned).. and I am scared.. sorry everyone :-( but, the effect on me is terror.. I don't go out the house.. I struggle to get anything done. I never ever use to notice my hair until this disaster, and now I am super focused and eager for it to recover. Whilst it is (was) I was fine.. but to think I may start to shed again is devastating..

leayellena
April 14th, 2019, 12:02 AM
I'm a bit worried about this now.. I went through a massive shed in Jan and have been enjoying loosing no more than around 30 hairs a day since.. but now it's gone up.. just the last two days, and I don't know why and it is hugely distressing because my hair has just started to recover a little.. I don't know if it is seasonal (we're right at the end of summer, the clocks have just turned).. and I am scared.. sorry everyone :-( but, the effect on me is terror.. I don't go out the house.. I struggle to get anything done. I never ever use to notice my hair until this disaster, and now I am super focused and eager for it to recover. Whilst it is (was) I was fine.. but to think I may start to shed again is devastating..

you could visit a doctor. if you don't see bald spots everything's fine though. I shed like a dog too these days so I keep my hair in loose buns and braids at home and normal buns outside. if your hair is not too long you could wear it down at home

milosmomma
April 14th, 2019, 01:31 AM
Ylva, I definitely notice more shedding the days around my monthly cycle so I believe yes it can be that short.
Cate I'm sorry you're going through that. Maybe treat yourself to a hair friendly scarf to both protect your hair and look cute and distract you from your hair. I agree a dr visit should be in order, but in the mean time try to put you focus elsewhere.

lapushka
April 14th, 2019, 03:51 AM

Try and distract yourself from the hair a little. It is perfectly normal in spring to shed a little more, so there is no need to panic, just yet. I'd give it a couple more wash days, to be fair, to see if it goes back down or not. If not, you can look into it (doctor), but I doubt they will be able to do much. If it is still within a 100 (are you counting?) a day, you're actually fine.

Just losing 30 hairs = lucky!

I shed like a beast!

Cate36
April 15th, 2019, 09:02 PM
thank you for the reapplies :) . The shedding seems to have reduced just a kittle and it was at the end of my period so maybe that was it..? I am honestly wondering if there will ever be a time again when I don't worry about my hair 24/7 - I even dream about it.... don't count every hair that comes out, don't check the thickness numerous times a day.. I WISH .I could forget it, but it is so important to me.. it's on my head, there when I look in the mirror.. I remember how it was just 6 months ago... so yeah.. the positive is that it is growing.. I just cannot tell if it is getting thinner...

lapushka
April 16th, 2019, 03:06 AM
thank you for the reapplies :) . The shedding seems to have reduced just a kittle and it was at the end of my period so maybe that was it..? I am honestly wondering if there will ever be a time again when I don't worry about my hair 24/7 - I even dream about it.... don't count every hair that comes out, don't check the thickness numerous times a day.. I WISH .I could forget it, but it is so important to me.. it's on my head, there when I look in the mirror.. I remember how it was just 6 months ago... so yeah.. the positive is that it is growing.. I just cannot tell if it is getting thinner...

Aw that is so sad, in a way. Hair should be enjoyed, not worried over. But I get it. I was like that age 13/14 when I was going through entire chunks falling out of my scalp (balding). :( You get so... involved with it, and so worried about the tiniest bit of shedding. But it is a cycle, that for your own sanity, you need to break. Keep looking forward, at the future. It will get better. After all, damage doesn't last forever. And there is some shedding that is normal, after all we all shed all the time, and 30 hairs, gosh girl, you are lucky!