PDA

View Full Version : Left of Right handed?

milosmomma
April 7th, 2019, 11:18 AM
I was looking at all the bun photos around here and realised that being a leftie I usually put my fork/stick in with my left hand and it is opposite of most of the other buns I see(when using a horizontal oriented toy/bun) who seem to place their toy with the right hand. I thought it was interesting so I'd ask, are you right or left handed and which way do you use you toys?
I've notice that sometimes it just feels weird or unstable to place the toy left handed so I will go in from the right, but mostly I go in from the left.

https://i.imgur.com/cvt4vB8m.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/dEqmzdim.jpg
2 leftie buns
https://i.imgur.com/GTJonzBm.jpg
Milady's bun seems to feel better going in from the right(left still works but feels a little off)

I still follow the directions to make the bun the same, it's just more comfortable to secure it with my dominant hand I guess. :shrugs:

Sarahlabyrinth
April 7th, 2019, 11:21 AM
I'm left handed but always put my fork/stick in from the right hand side, using my right hand.

milosmomma
April 7th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Yay fellow leftie! :lol: Yea I'm beginning to think it's more stable and maybe why I have been having trouble learning new buns hmm..

FennFire911
April 7th, 2019, 11:42 AM
I'm cross dominant, so which hand I use depends on what I'm doing and how I feel. I can do most things with either hand. I'll write, bat softball and underhand pitch, draw, bowl, play golf and tennis, and other things with each hand, switching back and forth. I might be struggling to learn a new throw in Judo right handed, then in practice I'll get the throw perfect going left handed without having ever practiced it that way.
Some things are dedicated left hand only. I can only tie knots left handed. When I was in fire academy I couldn't learn to tie the knots to save my life until one of the instructors noticed I was doing it "backward" and so I can only be taught how to tie knots by a leftie. But there's nothing I do that's dedicated to my right hand only.
Doing my hair is no different. My LWB feels better when I hold it with my left hand, and my Celtic knot bun feels better when I hold it with my right hand.
I would imagine that a leftie who's having trouble learning buns might need to search YouTube video tutorials specifically by and for lefties.

Groovy Granny
April 7th, 2019, 12:04 PM
I am right handed, twist to the right, and insert my hair toys from the right ;)

If for some reason I want to insert them from the left I still use my right hand....awkwardly :lol:

Joules
April 7th, 2019, 12:06 PM
I'm mostly left-handed, but I can do a lot of things with my right hand. I do my eye makeup with both hands, I paint my hails equally neatly with both hands, I can knit with my right hand, when I put my hair up into any sort of a hairstyle both my hands feel equally controlled rather than just one being dominant. When I try to do a bun with a stick I usually do it with my right hand, just because I learned it by watching a video of a right-handed person doing it.

SwanFeathers
April 7th, 2019, 12:08 PM
I'm right handed, but I twist/spiral my buns to the left (counter-clockwise) sticks I usually insert from the right.

milosmomma
April 7th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Thank you everyone! It's been interesting to read for sure. I never really thought about before, I'm pretty ambidextrous so it wouldn't take much to adjust my bun making to which ever way works best. I just thought it was funny scrolling through the bun pics and mine looked weird because it was the only one inserted from the left :lol:
I will definitely do some searches for left handed tutorials and see if actually forming the buns the opposite way will feel better securing them from the left. Like groovy granny mentioned, securing with your less dominant hand can be pretty awkward, harder to grab the scalp hair correctly and such.
Thanks again guys and keep em coming, very interesting to read your experiences!

littlestarface
April 7th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Rightie I dont know what I do but it resembles a bun.

Sora Rose
April 7th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Right-handed. I do everything with my right hand (eat, brush/comb my hair, write, open doors, you name it). My left hand can't even draw a straight line (as I discovered). I always insert my sticks from the right, although I have stuck it in from the left before when rotating my bun the other direction - and resulted in a very sloppy bun.

gingerninja
April 7th, 2019, 12:57 PM
right handed, i always insert my hair toy from the right as my left puts to much tension on the roots.

Tinyponies
April 7th, 2019, 01:04 PM
*mostly* a rightie here, my son is a true leftie, which has made me more familiar with the struggle.

Bun videos for lefties sounds like a really great idea <3

spidermom
April 7th, 2019, 01:34 PM
I am right handed but I go back and forth as to which hand I use for various tasks. I guess I want to be well rounded. Sometimes I even make myself color or write with my left hand.

daisy rei
April 7th, 2019, 01:39 PM
4ypn0tica on YouTube is a leftie. Her videos are very confusing for me to follow, but might be more useful for you, milosmomma.

littlestarface
April 7th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Hypn0tica on YouTube is a leftie. Her videos are very confusing for me to follow, but might be more useful for you, milosmomma.
I wondered why I could never follow her.

daisy rei
April 7th, 2019, 01:43 PM
I wondered why I could never follow her.

I spelled her YouTube name wrong. Fixed it in my post. She is Hypnotica here though, I’m pretty sure.

milosmomma
April 7th, 2019, 01:52 PM
That makes sense! I find hypnotica videos easy to follow, well I'll have to watch them again but years ago at hip I remember her tutorials being a breeze :)
Ginger ninja I usually find the opposite with my right hand(less dominant) making a looser bun or struggling to grad the scalp hair.
Thanks again guys, love reading all your thoughts :)

Cg
April 7th, 2019, 02:02 PM
For most things I'm right-handed, but I do sports lefty. I alternate the direction of twist in buns and left/right insertion of the fork, but mostly the left-handed ones feel more secure.

sugar&nutmeg
April 7th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Left-handed, but I can use my right for many things (except writing).

I wind my hair clockwise (to the right) with my right hand, and insert hairsticks more often with my left, into the left side of the bun.

Wildcat Diva
April 7th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Leftie all the way

lapushka
April 7th, 2019, 02:22 PM
I'm right handed. When I was a child, I used to pick up a pen left handed, but my mom always put the pen in the right hand, and so I never gave it a second thought since. Might have been a phase. ;)

MusicalSpoons
April 7th, 2019, 02:27 PM
FennFire911 'cross-dominant' is the term I've been lacking for years, thank you! I noticed in my teen years I did specific things with specific hands; for many tasks I *can* use either hand but it feels weird doing it with the 'wrong' hand for that task (not so much fine motor tasks though ... I have trouble with those either hand nowadays anyway!). I write with my right hand and for hair I do comb and insert the hairtoy with my right. Still haven't worked out which way I twist :lol: but I mostly wrap to the left.

HaMalka
April 7th, 2019, 03:01 PM
I am right handed. I insert hair toys with my right hand from the right. I twist my hair (If looking at the back of my head from behind me) counterclockwise and wind it up counterclockwise.

milosmomma
April 7th, 2019, 03:46 PM
For most things I'm right-handed, but I do sports lefty. I alternate the direction of twist in buns and left/right insertion of the fork, but mostly the left-handed ones feel more secure.
That's so funny, I haven't thought about it or played sports anytime recently but being a lefty normally, I approach sports as a righty. Soccer and baseball, throwing and batting. Punching too I go in with the right, should have tried to hone that if for anything else just because I love the term "south paw" :lol:
Thanks again guys, keep the thoughts going I appreciate everyone who has shared :)

Edit: Musicalspoons I always heard the term "ambidextrous" to describe cross-dominance

AmaryllisRed
April 7th, 2019, 03:59 PM
I'm right handed but I am pretty good with my left. I broke my right wrist twice and easily wrote (and did other things) with my left.

But I CANNOT insert a hair toy with my left hand.
I've tried.
It's impossible. :)

lithostoic
April 7th, 2019, 04:27 PM
Right handed, insert from the right. I hold the bun with my left hand. I twist and wrap clockwise.

MusicalSpoons
April 7th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Edit: Musicalspoons I always heard the term "ambidextrous" to describe cross-dominance

I learned 'ambidextrous' to mean no dominance, equally good with both hands, whereas cross-dominance (I assume, could be wrong) I took to mean a preference/dominance for a different hand for different tasks. One of my friends is truly ambidextrous; she can write simultaneously and equally neatly with both hands. She'll often switch hands partway through taking a single set of notes, and you can't tell any difference at all!

FennFire911
April 7th, 2019, 05:31 PM
I learned 'ambidextrous' to mean no dominance, equally good with both hands, whereas cross-dominance (I assume, could be wrong) I took to mean a preference/dominance for a different hand for different tasks. One of my friends is truly ambidextrous; she can write simultaneously and equally neatly with both hands. She'll often switch hands partway through taking a single set of notes, and you can't tell any difference at all!

That's precisely how to differentiate the two terms. True ambi's can do it all with either hand while CD's switch back and forth.

milosmomma
April 8th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Makes sense musicalspoons, thanks for the explanation:)