PDA

View Full Version : hair that feels like wire

hollygolightly
April 5th, 2019, 09:46 PM
What do you do when you have a hair strand that feels like wire? it feels hard and with a lot of gaps. I trim them no matter how long the strand is since it looks really damaged and I don't think it can be saved. What happened with those strands? sometimes they are really short and at the top of my head and sometimes they are really long

akurah
April 5th, 2019, 09:51 PM
The hair texture of those follicles simply may be such that is going to be wiry. Most of my follicles are consistent, but I think that I have about four or five that are determined to be 4a, all at my nape, my eyebrows think they're 3c, and some other hairs on varying parts of my body from my face to my body to my head sometimes get the notion they want to mimic the consistency of a wire bristle. This level of variation is somewhat normal

littlestarface
April 5th, 2019, 11:08 PM
I have some hairs that are like literal fishing wire, it grosses me out but what I can do?!

hollygolightly
April 6th, 2019, 07:24 AM
The hair texture of those follicles simply may be such that is going to be wiry. Most of my follicles are consistent, but I think that I have about four or five that are determined to be 4a, all at my nape, my eyebrows think they're 3c, and some other hairs on varying parts of my body from my face to my body to my head sometimes get the notion they want to mimic the consistency of a wire bristle. This level of variation is somewhat normal

are you saying this strands are meant to curl?

gossamer
April 6th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Those strands are going to do whatever they're going to do - especially when they're super short, they'll stick out and feel strange to you, but if you let them grow longer they'll usually fit back into your hair and be harder to find. Cutting them off is just going to mean you'll have another short wiry hair to deal with in a few months because the follicle is going to keep growing that kind of hair. It's not damage or anything, it's just a natural part of your texture.

spidermom
April 6th, 2019, 08:16 AM
My white hairs are coarse like wire and feel bumpy along their length. I leave them alone.

lapushka
April 6th, 2019, 09:19 AM
What do you do when you have a hair strand that feels like wire? it feels hard and with a lot of gaps. I trim them no matter how long the strand is since it looks really damaged and I don't think it can be saved. What happened with those strands? sometimes they are really short and at the top of my head and sometimes they are really long

I would stop... *stop* trimming them out. It is perfectly normal to have hairs of different textures on your head. You might be trimming a lot if you are really going to "observe" your hair up that close. :flower:

akurah
April 6th, 2019, 09:58 AM
are you saying this strands are meant to curl?
No, I'm not. I'm saying those strands are probably growing from your actual scalp with that texture (that it is not damage) and that variation of the hair on your head is normal.

By extension, I'm implying your should leave them alone.

hollygolightly
April 6th, 2019, 10:04 AM
thanks everyone for your responses! i thought they were damaged but turns out they are normal, i'll leave them alone :)