PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Curls

Ardyn
April 4th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Hello!

So it’s been nearly a year (!!!) since The Big Regret Haircut. Just shy of a month til that particular anniversary, in fact. I must say, for someone who thought their hair grew faster than average, I’m a bit down over my lack of progress.

But, without the weight that comes with long hair, mine is curling up at the end. I’ve not used a hairdryer or straighteners since cutting and I don’t plan to start, but it’s frustrating that my hair look shorter than it really is due to this curling. A weird gripe, I know! So when I pull my hair to undo the curl a little, it is past shoulder length. Let go, and it curls to just brush my shoulders.

For any shorties suffering impatience like me, here’s some things I’ve found have helped:

1) Take a photo every 4 weeks. I’ve been doing so for the last year and documenting it here (http://journeybacktolonghair.tumblr.com/). It helps on days like today when I feel down to look back and see it is changing.

2) Biotin is a grey area for me. I tried the biotin supplements and moved on to a generic hair, skin, and nails. They definitely make my nails grow, but I’m not sure they’ve done much for my hair.

3) No shampoo has made much difference. I’m currently using Mane ‘n’ Tail because it does wonders for making my hair soft and smell amazing, but I don’t think the rumours of it helping with hair growth are true. I started out with the Lush shampoo bar called “New” based on similar rumours. Again, nice but no dice on the growth front.

4) Being more sparing with washing my hair, and completely abstaining from heat and dye has, as far as I can see, prevented any split ends. In turn, I’ve not needed to trim it since. It feels a lot healthier than when it was super long and dyed. Silver linings. HOWEVER — and this is a big however — I have felt like a foot for nearly a year. Like, I feel like I look like a hobo because I am not doing much with my hair. I can handle that on the grounds that I also have a face like a wet weekend that no amount of glorious hair styling would save, but if you’re pretty and like to style your hair to look good (no shame in that, WERK IT GURL) then abstaining from styling might suck.

LadyCelestina
April 4th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Curse of curls? Your hair looks barely wavy, and the shrinkage you mention is minimal ;D From pixie to SL is amazing growth in less than a year! :thumbsup:

Most of us here look like hobos, per your definition, so no stress on that part either :p

lapushka
April 4th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Yes, those are very slight waves, I thought you had an afro by the description you gave and thought for a moment you had hair typed yourself a 2 when you were a tight 3. It looks 1b/c in the pictures (which might change with length), so quite straight in fact.

I would say it looks like a lot of growth in a year. That's amazing! :D

BerrySara
April 4th, 2019, 02:31 PM
I am starting to feel it might be a good time to start a pro wurly curly kinky hair thread for inspiration, advice and photo sharing. Seen a lot of anti-curl posts lately.

I also think your progress in just one year is really great! Imagine where you will be a year from now! Happy growing.

lapushka
April 4th, 2019, 02:41 PM
I am starting to feel it might be a good time to start a pro wurly curly kinky hair thread for inspiration, advice and photo sharing. Seen a lot of anti-curl posts lately.

I also think your progress in just one year is really great! Imagine where you will be a year from now! Happy growing.

There's the wavy/wurly thread and the wurly/curly thread already, BerrySara, I can link them for you.

Wavy/wurly
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563&highlight=wurly

Wurly/curly
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369&highlight=wurly

cjk
April 4th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Curls are not a curse!

They can be a challenge, for sure. But once I had a woman friend jump up and down, almost screaming that my curls are like the ones she used to pay hundreds of dollars for at the salon, I came to grips with loving my texture.

BerrySara
April 4th, 2019, 03:07 PM
There's the wavy/wurly thread and the wurly/curly thread already, BerrySara, I can link them for you.

Wavy/wurly
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563&highlight=wurly

Wurly/curly
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369&highlight=wurly

oh yea that's right thank you. I just need to post there more often!

lapushka
April 4th, 2019, 03:22 PM
oh yea that's right thank you. I just need to post there more often!

You're welcome! :)

Ardyn
April 4th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Yeesh, this was not intended as an anti-curls post or anything... ��

lapushka
April 4th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Yeesh, this was not intended as an anti-curls post or anything... ��

I didn't take it that way. :) I was just saying there's a difference between curly and wavy hair, and you are on the wavy side of the spectrum. :flower:

MusicalSpoons
April 4th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Shrinkage is real, even for straighties, so yes I can imagine it can be frustrating for wavies and curlies to not necessarily *see* the progress as much - I guess that's why many people measure stretched, to see the true progress :)

Gotta say though, pixie to shoulder in under a year is impressive! I can't really help in the 'not feeling like yourself without long hair' department but measuring that on myself (with an average growth rate) it would certainly take me more than a year. I mean, even wavy it's clearly shoulder length in your last photo! :cheer:

lapushka
April 4th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Gotta say though, pixie to shoulder in under a year is impressive! I can't really help in the 'not feeling like yourself without long hair' department but measuring that on myself (with an average growth rate) it would certainly take me more than a year. I mean, even wavy it's clearly shoulder length in your last photo! :cheer:

In that amount of time, it is impressive. You have nothing to worry about growth wise, I'm betting the next few years will be awesome. Pixie to shoulder is about the hardest to deal with, so it should be smooth sailing from here on out! :)

ynne
April 4th, 2019, 07:33 PM
Wow, that is an inspiring amount of growth! I hope my hair will grow as fast too :0 And your hair looks nice! I like the subtle waves.
Personally I'm not sure how to measure my own hair growth, as my "shrinkage" (or spring factor) varies from +-3 to 9 cm (not just on different days, but on different parts of my hair that are less or more willing to curl). Yours doesn't seem to make that much of a difference, though, the pictures show the growth nicely!
But I was thinking that if the ends curling out bother you, braid waves might feel more uniform and manageable? Or maybe it's time to try some new fun hairstyles, if you feel like you want to change things up. :)

LadyAdelina
April 4th, 2019, 09:58 PM
My hair is 1b, so certainly not curly, and I also disliked the way my ends flipped up around shoulder length. I'm in the shoulder to APL thread, and I see that a lot of other people who get annoyed with it as well. On the plus side, your hair is definitely growing nicely, so you should be out of this phase soon! Once you get a few more inches, it will lay more nicely, and it will look like you had a ton of growth all at once. :)

Good luck, and happy growing!

Vacurlylady
April 6th, 2019, 02:54 PM
I enjoyed your monthly updates! I wished I had done that. I started growing my curls in Oct 2017 from 1/2 inch pixie. I don’t use heat or color, as well. I’m thankful I don’t see splits either.

You are doing awesome and in a couple years we will have the length we want. (I’ve NEVER had long hair. I hope I can handle it)

ExpectoPatronum
April 6th, 2019, 03:23 PM
I actually love my curls. The only curse is shrinkage which hides all of the growth my hair makes. That, and my hair tends to grow wider before it gets enough weight to weigh the curls down.

April 7th, 2019, 12:33 AM
Most of us here look like hobos, per your definition, so no stress on that part either :p

That just made my day xD

Hairkay
April 7th, 2019, 05:54 AM
I tend to look at it as a blessing of curls. Yes there's shrinkage but with that comes more volume. Enjoy those waves whilst you can because with length the hair will be weighted down and they may disappear altogether. We should enjoy what hair we have, straight, wavy, curly, curly kinky, its all good.

spidermom
April 7th, 2019, 06:58 AM
I'm not seeing any pictures.

littlestarface
April 7th, 2019, 10:33 AM
here (http://journeybacktolonghair.tumblr.com/).

Here are the pictures, just click and scroll in that tiny box. Curls? Your hair looks so straight to me!