PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Products

YellowBigBird
April 3rd, 2019, 08:54 PM
Hello my friends,

I really need your help with hair products. I have been using OGX Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo and Conditioner for my hair but I only like the conditioner, it just makes my hair drench with moisture and frees up any tangles I have. The issue I have with it though is the shampoo. I don't know why but it just dries up my hair again and doesn't really help me at all. I was wondering if you guys have used the same product, had a similar issue, and had a solution for it. My hair is relaxed if that helps with any suggestions lol.
This is the products I am talking about
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS830US830&biw=1920&bih=969&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=hW2lXIi9INLV-gTDqYXoBA&q=ogx+coconut+conditioner&oq=ogx+cconditioner&gs_l=img.1.0.0i7i30l10.9039.9039..10750...0.0..0.1 48.148.0j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.2ZSMz003ZiY#imgrc=NjIyxfVBHODsVM:

Also quick rant on another product:

If you have relaxed hair I strongly advice to not use SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Set. That product made my hair so dry and and got it so tangle, I swear it made my hair feel like a metal scrubby and I got so upset that I threw it in the trash, thank god for the OGX product as it fixed my hair. By the way that SheaMoisture stuff smells so awful and is hard to wash out. Maybe it works great for other people but it was awful for me

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shea-Moisture-SheaMoisture-Jamaican-Black-Castor-Oil-Shampoo-Conditioner-Set/112865060?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=921&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9003338&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113134773&wl11=online&wl12=112865060&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjws5HlBRDIARIsAOomqA2h-9lT9P_1ntYmjwP-VPio7gdN77jCpMxMtvj4fQiRFQsIDLYOO5YaAkDiEALw_wcB

ExpectoPatronum
April 3rd, 2019, 09:37 PM
I think the best thing would be to stop using the shampoo altogether, but if you want to use it up you could try CWC (condition, wash, then condition again)? That might help combat some of the dryness you're experiencing.

blackgothicdoll
April 3rd, 2019, 09:39 PM
It seems like you like to pair products - I have never found a shampoo and conditioner pair where I liked both. Maybe try a shampoo of a different brand altogether? I remember loving Pantene Relaxed and Natural when I was relaxed. I don't remember liking anything else, actually. Maybe Mane and Tail.

lapushka
April 4th, 2019, 06:38 AM
I have heard more complaints of the OGX shampoos being "drying" on the hair.

Maybe switch it out, and keep using the conditioner in the line. You can mix 'n match perfectly fine!

Ylva
April 4th, 2019, 07:24 AM
I have heard more complaints of the OGX shampoos being "drying" on the hair.

Yes. I think I've heard that sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate can be more drying than sulfates, and as far as I know, the OGX shampoos all contain that surfactant.

JennGalt
April 4th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Yes. I think I've heard that sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate can be more drying than sulfates, and as far as I know, the OGX shampoos all contain that surfactant.

It is and they do all contain it; my husband has SD and I bought him an OGx shampoo and it seems to work better than a sulfate cleanser for him in terms of keeping it under control. According to this (http://www.thenerdycurlygirl.com/2017/06/cleansing-agents-101.html?m=1) source sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate is a stronger detergent than sulfates and even capable of chelating.

ETA: he had (we thought) naturally reddish hair and a red beard. He used the OGx on both and it did take out some of the reddish hue. We lived in an area wih a lot of iron and other metals in the water, and the water is still pretty hard where we live now, but I was still quite surprised how much less red his hair is.

gustavonut
April 4th, 2019, 10:05 AM
I absolutely hated the shampoos by OGX. I had the same problem of it drying my hair out more than suave does. So I continue to use suave and occasionally other brands. I rarely try those “sulfate free” shampoos because of my bad luck with them.

MusicalSpoons
April 4th, 2019, 10:16 AM
It is and they do all contain it; my husband has SD and I bought him an OGx shampoo and it seems to work better than a sulfate cleanser for him in terms of keeping it under control. According to this (http://www.thenerdycurlygirl.com/2017/06/cleansing-agents-101.html?m=1) source sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate is a stronger detergent than sulfates and even capable of chelating.

The chelating aspect caught my attention, but then I read " ... but is derived naturally so it's not as harsh due to missing the heavy chemical processing." What the heck?! Sulphates are harsh due to their chemical properties and how they act as surfactants, nothing to do with the process used to synthesise the chemicals! So now that throws doubt on the rest of the blog post :confused: - I've never before heard that olefin sulphonate chelates so I doubt that's an accurate claim.

Edit: when reading this thread I finally understood why OGX have silicones in their conditioners - to make the hair feel okay after drying it out with their shampoos :rolleyes:

Milkchocolate
April 4th, 2019, 10:20 AM
How interesting! I’ve used that same shampoo and found it overly moisturizing. It made my hair feel a little flat too lol.

Luna Starsetta
April 4th, 2019, 11:41 AM
double post mods delete please!

Luna Starsetta
April 4th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Hello my friends,

I really need your help with hair products. I have been using OGX Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo and Conditioner for my hair but I only like the conditioner, it just makes my hair drench with moisture and frees up any tangles I have. The issue I have with it though is the shampoo. I don't know why but it just dries up my hair again and doesn't really help me at all. I was wondering if you guys have used the same product, had a similar issue, and had a solution for it. My hair is relaxed if that helps with any suggestions lol.
This is the products I am talking about
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS830US830&biw=1920&bih=969&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=hW2lXIi9INLV-gTDqYXoBA&q=ogx+coconut+conditioner&oq=ogx+cconditioner&gs_l=img.1.0.0i7i30l10.9039.9039..10750...0.0..0.1 48.148.0j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.2ZSMz003ZiY#imgrc=NjIyxfVBHODsVM:

Also quick rant on another product:

If you have relaxed hair I strongly advice to not use SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Set. That product made my hair so dry and and got it so tangle, I swear it made my hair feel like a metal scrubby and I got so upset that I threw it in the trash, thank god for the OGX product as it fixed my hair. By the way that SheaMoisture stuff smells so awful and is hard to wash out. Maybe it works great for other people but it was awful for me

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shea-Moisture-SheaMoisture-Jamaican-Black-Castor-Oil-Shampoo-Conditioner-Set/112865060?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=921&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9003338&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113134773&wl11=online&wl12=112865060&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjws5HlBRDIARIsAOomqA2h-9lT9P_1ntYmjwP-VPio7gdN77jCpMxMtvj4fQiRFQsIDLYOO5YaAkDiEALw_wcB

that line is actually one of my holy grail lines i use it every few wash days but i always CWC so i used a maui moisture conditioner first. shea moisture just works very well for me. haven't found anything better. i even use their gels. just goes to show everyone's hair is unique maybe your hair likes silicones my hair doesn't and i think that may be a reason why Shea Moisture works for some and not others. i didn't use the white conditioner though i used the brown one. as for smell i actually enjoy it.

JennGalt
April 4th, 2019, 11:50 AM
The chelating aspect caught my attention, but then I read " ... but is derived naturally so it's not as harsh due to missing the heavy chemical processing." What the heck?! Sulphates are harsh due to their chemical properties and how they act as surfactants, nothing to do with the process used to synthesise the chemicals! So now that throws doubt on the rest of the blog post :confused: - I've never before heard that olefin sulphonate chelates so I doubt that's an accurate claim.

Edit: when reading this thread I finally understood why OGX have silicones in their conditioners - to make the hair feel okay after drying it out with their shampoos :rolleyes:

I take everything I read with a grain of salt, and agree with you that the “natural so less harsh” claim is stupid, but it does seem to have removed some hard water deposits from our hair. My husband used OGX once and it took quite a bit of reddish hue out of his hair and beard. I used a different cleanser containing it. I always thought I had what I called “off black” or “strawberry black” hair—black with a reddish shine to it in strong light. Nope. One use of that cleanser and my un-hennaed roots were a deep, dark black with no reddish shine and contrasted considerably with my hennaed lengths. This causes me to think it can at least remove iron deposits from hair. It’s been a while since I did that, so I’ll try to remember to take before and after pix next time.

YellowBigBird
April 4th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Wow I didn't realize how much talk this thread will get lol, it really does show how unique our hair is, I'm stunned a lot of people don't like OGX anyways thank you guys for the advice and I decided to not use the shampoo of it, feel kinda dumb not thinking of that sooner, as a 18 year old male really starting to take care of my hair, it's a hassle but worth it lol