PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions on my hair typing

Elizabeth E
April 2nd, 2019, 02:34 AM
Hi All!

I know I should've done this post a lot earlier, but it was only recently brought to my attention that I'd typed my hair all wrong! (thanks, lapushka). I used to think that hair typing refers to the way your hair looks most of the time, and not necessarily right after a wash.

So when I joined here, I typed my hair as 1c/2a, M and ii. In the meantime, I regained enough of my thickness so classify as a iii, and I think that using mostly natural products on my hair has resulted in its real texture coming through more visibly. Which is more on the coarse side. I know this because a) other people's hair always feels very slippery and soft compared to my own, b) I can't make neat buns without needing coconut oil to smooth the sides, c) I never have trouble getting my hair to stay in a certain style, it isn't 'slippery' at all, and d) it feels almost like a piece of thread when I hold a strand between my fingers.
Here's a pic:
https://imgur.com/dCNBUvu
And here is my hair after a wash, uncombed
https://imgur.com/XcPIZ9W
Combed
https://imgur.com/lfDiXc3

Do you think my natural texture is 2b/2c?
And on a side note, I think of using the last picture as my new avatar. It might not be my 'real' texture, but it's how I prefer for it to look.

Begemot
April 2nd, 2019, 02:55 AM
Yeah, I'd probably say 2b/2c. There seems to be looser and shorter waves mixed and it looks like you have some real pretty spiral curls too.

Of course use the pic you prefer, it's your hair and you can wear it how you want :) very pretty hair, combed and uncombed!

MusicalSpoons
April 2nd, 2019, 07:58 AM
If it weren't for the less wavy canopy (which is normal - many of us have a slightly straighter canopy) I'd probably say don't bother with the 2b and just say 2c. But as it is, I think 2b/2c is pretty spot on :)

I can't believe how much your hair has grown since you first joined! It's really beautiful!

lapushka
April 2nd, 2019, 08:01 AM
I would say 2b/c. For sure. I only looked at the right after the wash picture, uncombed. :flower:

Such pretty hair, pretty color too!

CuteCrow
April 2nd, 2019, 08:42 AM
I'd say if you'd let your hair to air dry without combing it it'll be definitely a 2c hair. It seems pretty wavy with some spirally curls but it's hard to say when the hair is still wet. Most hairs have looser waves and curls when wet.
And it looks on the coarser side for sure! But I think it's not so much about the "soft" or "slippery" feeling than the fact that it's more like a piece of thread.

Elizabeth E
April 2nd, 2019, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone - I had an idea that my real texture should be 2b/2c, but just wanted it to be confirmed :)

Yeah, I'd probably say 2b/2c. There seems to be looser and shorter waves mixed and it looks like you have some real pretty spiral curls too.

Of course use the pic you prefer, it's your hair and you can wear it how you want :) very pretty hair, combed and uncombed!

That's so sweet, Begemot! I updated my avatar pic and I'm loving it!

If it weren't for the less wavy canopy (which is normal - many of us have a slightly straighter canopy) I'd probably say don't bother with the 2b and just say 2c. But as it is, I think 2b/2c is pretty spot on :)

I can't believe how much your hair has grown since you first joined! It's really beautiful!

I know! I'm very curious to see what length it'll be a year from now. Hopefully, I should be around classic by then.

I would say 2b/c. For sure. I only looked at the right after the wash picture, uncombed. :flower:

Such pretty hair, pretty color too!

If it weren't for your comment on my post about being a year on LHC, I would still have had my hair typing wrong. Thank you :flower:

I'd say if you'd let your hair to air dry without combing it it'll be definitely a 2c hair. It seems pretty wavy with some spirally curls but it's hard to say when the hair is still wet. Most hairs have looser waves and curls when wet.
And it looks on the coarser side for sure! But I think it's not so much about the "soft" or "slippery" feeling than the fact that it's more like a piece of thread.

In the hair typing picture, my hair had been left to air dry 90% and I didn't even finger comb it after washing, but the canopy never gets curlier than this, hence the 2b in the description. And yep, I can feel the texture very clearly between my fingers, which I know is the main indicator of coarser hair.

CuteCrow
April 2nd, 2019, 12:32 PM
Oh, I though your hair was still partially wet in the photo that's wy I said that. Anyway your hair is pretty long and doesn't seem to have any layers, that weigh down the curl so even if your canopy is curly you probably couldn't see it. I never thought the "curliness" of the top of your hair also counted as part of the hair typing, if so I'd be a good 1a-3a :lol: I thought it was more about the general look of your hair? I think I maybe had all the hair typing thing wrong

lapushka
April 3rd, 2019, 04:00 PM
If it weren't for your comment on my post about being a year on LHC, I would still have had my hair typing wrong. Thank you :flower:

You're welcome. That's what we're all here for, to help each other out! :flower: :)

Garnetgem
April 3rd, 2019, 06:20 PM
Very nice hair,yes typing is confusing and come to think of it i never typed mine while wet/damp either so may have got it wrong too,mine seems to have small waves and ringlets at the bottom when wet..

Elizabeth E
April 4th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Very nice hair,yes typing is confusing and come to think of it i never typed mine while wet/damp either so may have got it wrong too,mine seems to have small waves and ringlets at the bottom when wet..

Same here :wink:

lithostoic
April 5th, 2019, 12:05 AM
It's amazing how the same hair type can look so different on other people. Some have smaller curl clumps and other have larger! I agree with 2b/c though at first glance I wasn't quite sure.

Dark40
April 5th, 2019, 05:22 PM
Beautiful hair! I would say 2b/2c also, and that's also a pretty color too! :)

Elizabeth E
April 9th, 2019, 02:15 AM
Beautiful hair! I would say 2b/2c also, and that's also a pretty color too! :)

Thank you Dark40 :o