PDA

View Full Version : A thing you do to your hair that other people find gross

Stray_mind
March 31st, 2019, 01:06 AM
I am bored at work, so i want to play sort of a "confession" game. Tell me one thing you do to your hair or scalp that some other people would find gross.

No judging here, please. :D
It is supposed to be fun and friendly environment. And maybe some of you will find someone you can relate with.

I'll start:

Sometimes when i have dandruff comming out (usually on my second or third day when my scalp starts to oil and flake) i like to scratch the itchy spots and pick off the flakes. :o

I know it's kinda gross and i am not supposed to do that, but it feels so nice!

I am waiting for more replies. ^^

Simsy
March 31st, 2019, 01:13 AM
I wash my hair once a week and I don’t use dry shampoo. For some reason, this is gross and my hair smells. I say it smells like hair.

On a side note, hubby has mentioned on a couple of occasions that my hair smells like truck...usually after I have spent a week or so living in the truck.

milosmomma
March 31st, 2019, 01:13 AM
I think I have been guilty of scratching that itch too straymind!
Another thing some people find gross is that I collect my shed hairs. I started so I could monitor a shed and then kept the hairs thinking I can use for a hair rat(which some people might also find gross) or a strand test but I have no plans of dying :lol: I dont keep them so much anymore because I already have a good size from the shed.

Stray_mind
March 31st, 2019, 01:52 AM
I wash my hair once a week and I don’t use dry shampoo. For some reason, this is gross and my hair smells. I say it smells like hair.

On a side note, hubby has mentioned on a couple of occasions that my hair smells like truck...usually after I have spent a week or so living in the truck.
Hahaha, i think a lot of us have been stretching washes at some point to the point our hair kinda stops looking "presentable" to "normal people". :D
I don't do that as much anymore due to the itchy scalp though...

I think I have been guilty of scratching that itch too straymind!
Another thing some people find gross is that I collect my shed hairs. I started so I could monitor a shed and then kept the hairs thinking I can use for a hair rat(which some people might also find gross) or a strand test but I have no plans of dying :lol: I dont keep them so much anymore because I already have a good size from the shed.
I can see that some people would find it odd if not straight up gross. But i think making a hair rat should be fun, except i am too forgetful to collect my hairs, besides i am keeping the entire chopped off tail from when i did my last big chop. I can not sell it or donate it, because the hair is already dyed. So it's just lying around in the drawer. Lol

Jo Ann
March 31st, 2019, 02:04 AM
People get grossed out when I tell them I only wash my hair about once every week (or two, on occasion)...

Also, when I've overdone the coconut oil on my wet hair and I go into work, and it SHOWS... :shocked:

I hear you on the dandruff piles, Stray!

milosmomma
March 31st, 2019, 02:05 AM
Hahaha, i think a lot of us have been stretching washes at some point to the point our hair kinda stops looking "presentable" to "normal people". :D
I don't do that as much anymore due to the itchy scalp though...

I can see that some people would find it odd if not straight up gross. But i think making a hair rat should be fun, except i am too forgetful to collect my hairs, besides i am keeping the entire chopped off tail from when i did my last big chop. I can not sell it or donate it, because the hair is already dyed. So it's just lying around in the drawer. Lol
I still have my braid from my last chop too! :lol: There is a pic in one of my albums. I wonder if we can make extensions out of them or something hmm.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 31st, 2019, 02:30 AM
I made a hair swatch out of my shed hairs, some people might find that gross...

Stray_mind
March 31st, 2019, 02:38 AM
I still have my braid from my last chop too! :lol: There is a pic in one of my albums. I wonder if we can make extensions out of them or something hmm.

My friend who works at a theater told me to give my hair to them, so they could make some moustache and beards out of it. And maybe i will. :D

Tinyponies
March 31st, 2019, 02:39 AM

I am still working on mine! I don’t find sheds gross at all though some might. They all go in a jam jar that always lives with my combs. One day I’ll pick them all out and make myself a tail :D

Fun idea for a thread :)

Stray_mind
March 31st, 2019, 02:39 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but What is a hair swatch?

Katsura
March 31st, 2019, 03:09 AM
I confess the scratching and picking. If there's anything odd on my scalp I need to get it out asap. Touching my hair and pulling it out of anxiety, I don't know if that's seen as gross, propably.

leayellena
March 31st, 2019, 03:15 AM
Oh there are quite a few things people find gross.
Oiling hair, because most of the people are used to squeaky clean hair.
Buns, because "if you have long hair you should show it or" or "you are trying to hide the damage".
Hair longer than that length that "is best for your face shape " is definitely gross and "you look like a which or a crazy cat woman".
Washing my hair once a week and co-wash is definitely gross. Same as screeching and preening.
Flat hair (means hair without layers) is gross.
The fact that I don't own even a blow dryer (let alone a curling iron or dry shampoo) is really out of this world. "Welcome to the matrix ".

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 03:37 AM
I am bored at work, so i want to play sort of a "confession" game. Tell me one thing you do to your hair or scalp that some other people would find gross.

No judging here, please. :D
It is supposed to be fun and friendly environment. And maybe some of you will find someone you can relate with.

I'll start:

Sometimes when i have dandruff comming out (usually on my second or third day when my scalp starts to oil and flake) i like to scratch the itchy spots and pick off the flakes. :o

I know it's kinda gross and i am not supposed to do that, but it feels so nice!

I am waiting for more replies. ^^

If I get "flaking", I now usually get it along my temples. I "try" not to pick at them, because if I do, hair comes out with them. They are not just "flakes", they are like 1 to 2 cm thin patches of skin. It's that bad when I get my SD.

I can't think of anything I do to my hair that would be considered gross.

I usually take a damp washcloth (not wet, or soaking) and rub over the scalp to get the flakes to come out - works wonders.

Stray_mind
March 31st, 2019, 03:47 AM
If I get "flaking", I now usually get it along my temples. I "try" not to pick at them, because if I do, hair comes out with them. They are not just "flakes", they are like 1 to 2 cm thin patches of skin. It's that bad when I get my SD.

I can't think of anything I do to my hair that would be considered gross.

I usually take a damp washcloth (not wet, or soaking) and rub over the scalp to get the flakes to come out - works wonders.

I actually don't Know why my scalp is itchy. The itch is the worst around the top of my head. I told that to my hairdresser, and she inspected my scalp and said she didn't See anything Wrong with it, except for a few flakes here and there. It didn't look irritated, nor red, nor patchy. :shrug:

Maybe there is something happening Under the surface that makes my scalp itch. I am considering seeing a dermatologist about that.

Begemot
March 31st, 2019, 04:09 AM
Hmm I use "cootchie cream" on my scalp. I don't understand why some are so uncomfortable even thinking about it :D It's not like creams meant for rashes, infections etc. have actually touched any rashes or private areas, or that they have weird "unsanitary" ingredients or something. I guess it's just the association? It seems I sometimes get tinea versicolor (fungal infection) on my scalp so I use a cream on it that can be also used for treating vaginal thrush, among other things. Some use it just for hair growth. It's no big deal for me.

I also scratch my scalp sometimes, it's quite satisfying lol.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 31st, 2019, 04:18 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but What is a hair swatch?

https://i.imgur.com/vMWswah.jpg

Stray_mind
March 31st, 2019, 04:36 AM
https://i.imgur.com/vMWswah.jpg
Ohhh thanks! That looks pretty cool!

Jas
March 31st, 2019, 04:41 AM
Oh my goodness that is so cool Sarah!! Now I want one of those... xD Maybe I should start collecting strands...

Gross.. I can't think of much, I usually wash it every third day. uh. I guess when I do get dry scalp I will try and pick them out because I hate feeling like there's stuff in my hair - I get straight onto the anti dandruff shampoo when that happens though which usually fixes it.

My husband finds it gross when he gets my hairs trapped everywhere, in particular when he randomly finds them around his *ahem* private areas.

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 04:58 AM
Maybe there is something happening Under the surface that makes my scalp itch. I am considering seeing a dermatologist about that.

In fact you can show it to your GP as well. There's no reason to keep running around with that discomfort.

Ligeia Noire
March 31st, 2019, 06:15 AM
The fact that my hair is calf length. Can't even imagine when i am at floor :p

gingerninja
March 31st, 2019, 06:27 AM
That i haven't washed my hair at all in the last 3 months as i've been so busy plus i forgot.

My liberal use of oil's is weird to most of my family.

The lack of hair dye and heat styling weirds out any hairdressers i come across as they insist my hair could be improved with the use of such things.

lithostoic
March 31st, 2019, 07:31 AM
The fact that I only shampoo twice a month and cowash once or twice a week. People insist that straight hair is inherently dirtier and cannot be cared for this way.

TreesOfEternity
March 31st, 2019, 07:41 AM
Scratching my scalp’s sebum ( I don’t do it on purpose, it’s a reflex! Haha) and oiling my hair, people often say “why are you making your hair dirty with that??”

EmeraldSkies
March 31st, 2019, 08:04 AM
I'm pretty sure people will find stretching washes gross so i haven't even told anyone yet.

CampFireTiger
March 31st, 2019, 08:12 AM
My husband thinks it's gross that I use Batiste dry shampoo a couple times a month or so when I need to stretch my washes a little bit.

He's like, "Why don't you just wash your hair if it's so greasy??"

But I have fine hair that gets greasy easily on the scalp (even though my ends are usually dry) and sometimes it's the only way I can make it to the next wash day, which happens twice a week.

He's started to adjust to it :P

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 08:31 AM
The fact that I only shampoo twice a month and cowash once or twice a week. People insist that straight hair is inherently dirtier and cannot be cared for this way.

Oh poppycocks, let them talk! It depends on how dry/oily your scalp is and how frequently you wash. That has nothing to do with whether your hair is 1a or 4c. Not a thing! I don't like generalizations.

My mom now last washed December 18th (for the Holidays), and she's going to be doing her hair (color, cut, roller set) mid-April (4 months). She's 1b and i. She's as dry as heck. She is desperately in need of a wash right now though, stretching it this far is a bit "much" even for her. I think 3 months is the max. here. Her scalp "smell" is coming through a bit these days. It doesn't smell bad, don't get me wrong, but... it's about that time.

eresh
March 31st, 2019, 08:41 AM
I confess to scratching, I think it is called scritching?
Sort of massage your scalp with your nails and then pick the sebum from under your nails LOL

My mum really got annoyed when I searched and destroyed when I still lived at home.

Some people find hair longer than mid back, especially when it is longer than classic, dirty.
I've had those comments.

I only wash my full hair once in 5-7 days, some people find it dirty when you don't wash your hair every day.
(I do scalpwash in between full washes)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 31st, 2019, 08:53 AM
Sort of massage your scalp with your nails and then pick the sebum from under your nails LOL

My mum really got annoyed when I searched and destroyed when I still lived at home.

Some people find hair longer than mid back, especially when it is longer than classic, dirty.
I've had those comments.

I only wash my full hair once in 5-7 days, some people find it dirty when you don't wash your hair every day.

It must be cultural conditioning. I have never understood the "long hair is dirty" attitude. I mean, it doesn't make sense.

Natalia_A00
March 31st, 2019, 08:57 AM
Oiling my hair. I remember when I put olive oil on my hair when I was travelling with my friends. They thought it was weird and icky! Also they find strange when I do S&D my hair (my mother hates it because she thinks I'm gonna go bald or something or mess up my hair. She even hides my scissors sometimes).
Also when I was in a summer camp a girl told me to stop brushing my hair all the time, because it was annoying. Also my friends have told me that. I told her that I was gonna do what I want, if I liked brushing my hair it was my problem. I hate having tangles or messy hair.
Also people find it weird when I do my "hair recipes" - mixing oils and other ingredients to create a mask

MusicalSpoons
March 31st, 2019, 09:36 AM
It must be cultural conditioning. I have never understood the "long hair is dirty" attitude. I mean, it doesn't make sense.

I think for 'normies' who associate hair with being worn down and loose all the time, I can kind of see where the notion comes from. Even just normal-long (not LHC-long) hair could potentially get detritus and bugs and dirt and other stuff caught in it, and pick up germs from all the public places where it might touch somewhere unsavoury (bench, toilets, transport seats, etc.)

I'm *not* saying long hair worn loose is dirty, but for those who worry about the hygiene of public places, it's a fairly logical conclusion. Obviously in reality it gets no dirtier than one's clothes, but I guess the prospect of not being able to take off your hair (like you do clothes) could be subconsciously unsettling.

And then there's the whole just not thinking thing - of course people with long hair move it out of the way to use the toilet, but it's probably not even crossed the minds of people who've never had to do it that it's, y'know, possible :rolleyes: (I loved gossamer's response to some guy who commented about that, something along the lines of 'well how do you know to keep your pants/trousers out of the way when you use the toilet?' :laugh:)

^I don't know if any of that made any sense. Just trying to explain how it maybe appears from an oblivious point of view.

Stray_mind
March 31st, 2019, 10:12 AM

I've had those comments.

I do that too. It feels so good, especially when the scalp is itchy.

I know i shouldn't do it often, but i can't control myself.

gustavonut
March 31st, 2019, 10:23 AM

I still have my ponytail too! What to do with it? :hmm:

eresh
March 31st, 2019, 10:24 AM
Ooooh yes I still have my braid too from when I went from classic to above the shoulder. (ooooh the regret....)
I was 14 I think

Sarahlabyrinth
March 31st, 2019, 10:25 AM
I think for 'normies' who associate hair with being worn down and loose all the time, I can kind of see where the notion comes from. Even just normal-long (not LHC-long) hair could potentially get detritus and bugs and dirt and other stuff caught in it, and pick up germs from all the public places where it might touch somewhere unsavoury (bench, toilets, transport seats, etc.)

I'm *not* saying long hair worn loose is dirty, but for those who worry about the hygiene of public places, it's a fairly logical conclusion. Obviously in reality it gets no dirtier than one's clothes, but I guess the prospect of not being able to take off your hair (like you do clothes) could be subconsciously unsettling.

And then there's the whole just not thinking thing - of course people with long hair move it out of the way to use the toilet, but it's probably not even crossed the minds of people who've never had to do it that it's, y'know, possible :rolleyes: (I loved gossamer's response to some guy who commented about that, something along the lines of 'well how do you know to keep your pants/trousers out of the way when you use the toilet?' :laugh:)

^I don't know if any of that made any sense. Just trying to explain how it maybe appears from an oblivious point of view.

Now that you explain it this way, I can see where perhaps these ideas come from. Perhaps LHC-style longhairs who wear hair up have cleaner hair than those who wear their hair down all the time, then, brushing against all those germs and dirt. (Just kidding, after all, we are pretty much all covered in germs all the time, anyway, including our hair and that's just how life is.) I must remember that toilet response, it's a good one!

eresh
March 31st, 2019, 10:27 AM
With a long hair meeting from the dutch forum we were braiding eachothers hair and trying out hairtoys at a cafe.
We were asked to leave because it was grossing out the other customers.............

Sarahlabyrinth
March 31st, 2019, 10:30 AM
With a long hair meeting from the dutch forum we were braiding eachothers hair and trying out hairtoys at a cafe.
We were asked to leave because it was grossing out the other customers.............

Wow! :(.... I wonder if they ask breastfeeding mothers to leave too?

TreesOfEternity
March 31st, 2019, 10:31 AM

Oh yes, my mother will be incredibly grossed out if I happen to redo my bun in the kitchen or at the eating table.... go figure...

Ligeia Noire
March 31st, 2019, 10:48 AM
Being the devil's advocate here... i wouldn't redo my hair or mess with it near food... kitchen, restaurant, cafe's or the likes....

blackgothicdoll
March 31st, 2019, 11:04 AM
Yep, I can see that people may not think the hair itself is gross, but taking it out while eating and the potential of airborne 60+ inch hairs or disturbed flakes from scalp or hair product now released into the air would make it difficult to eat. I would probably not like that either.

Now with that being said, I do sometimes wash my hair in the kitchen sink, and my mom used to relax my hair in the kitchen sink, so people may think that is gross too. :o

I used to go two weeks without washing my hair, including when I worked out and sweated every day. I just didn't tell people :o because I knew they'd think that was gross. It would smell a bit at some point.... shudder: And most people think weaves/extensions are gross. They definitely have gross aspects, so I wouldn't quite argue....

daisy rei
March 31st, 2019, 11:04 AM
I’ve worked in the restaurant industry for four plus years and I agree with Ligeia - food and hair should be nowhere near each other. Have you ever pulled one of your own long hairs out of your mouth while chewing? *shudder*

RavennaNight
March 31st, 2019, 11:06 AM
I think in general the not washing often thing would bug out the muggles. Also, discussing the benefits of natural sebum, and washing without shampoo. These things I only discuss in familiar company.

TreesOfEternity
March 31st, 2019, 12:32 PM
Being the devil's advocate here... i wouldn't redo my hair or mess with it near food... kitchen, restaurant, cafe's or the likes....

I’ve worked in the restaurant industry for four plus years and I agree with Ligeia - food and hair should be nowhere near each other. Have you ever pulled one of your own long hairs out of your mouth while chewing? *shudder*

Yes it sounds understandable. At that moment to me it was like “you are gross and should hide yourself” but yes a hair could have fallen on the table I guess. I always keep my hair tied when cooking but at that moment I didn’t thought it was a threat to redo it once their food was far from me. I get the point though, I haven’t done it again ever since I felt so embarrassed lol

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 01:07 PM

We had that at our meet in my town as well. Not asked to leave, but they came and complained if it was an "official gathering" or not and what the heck we were doing. I got a bit angry at that point, and I'm sure I freaked a couple people out. LOL! The lady at the counter had to stress that she was a hairdresser - why, God knows why.

HaMalka
March 31st, 2019, 02:48 PM
Not washing my hair more often than once a week. Adding oil to my hair.

eresh
March 31st, 2019, 02:54 PM

The meet was not near food or anything.
We were on the terras outside, other customers were inside having their beer.
And dogs were allowed inside.........

Ligeia Noire
March 31st, 2019, 03:09 PM
The meet was not near food or anything.
We were on the terras outside, other customers were inside having their beer.
And dogs were allowed inside.........
And that's fine. I was not referring to you per se but to what trees said. Which makes me sometimes worried also of wearing my braid down to a restaurant. I dont think ive done it since i reached knee....

eresh
March 31st, 2019, 03:11 PM
Me neither. But I don't go to restaurants very often.

Ligeia Noire
March 31st, 2019, 03:12 PM
Would you guys be grossed out by someone at a restaurant with a braid down their legs?

daisy rei
March 31st, 2019, 03:16 PM
It’s hard to say. I personally wouldn’t, but obviously I’ve been desensitized by LHC. Most people find really long hair, really long nails, and other normal human stuff like farts disgusting. Who knows why? :shrug:

blackgothicdoll
March 31st, 2019, 03:19 PM
Would you guys be grossed out by someone at a restaurant with a braid down their legs?

No. I mean if they held it up and started twirling it above their head like a lasso, that would probably be my moment to be concerned, but if they were literally just standing/walking/sitting and enjoying their meal like the rest of us, I'd see no reason for it to concern me at all.

My post before was because I was picturing a bunch of people sitting at a table in a restaurant playing with super long hair, like holding it across the table and such (I have a weird imagination). :p

Ligeia Noire
Yeah i think i am asking in the wrong place... i am sure i would get dirty and disgusted looks... I'll just keep it up.

spookydulcet
People tend to look at me weird when I say I haven't washed my hair in a few days.
My ex boyfriend also thought my oil treatments were gross. He complained that I got oil and hair all over the place, but I really didn't so I have no idea what his problem was.

I also take breaks from brushing my hair sometimes and people think that's gross and weird for some reason. They wouldn't even be able to tell if I didn't tell them, so I usually just keep it to myself now.

Ligeia Noire
March 31st, 2019, 03:21 PM
No. I mean if they held it up and started twirling it above their head like a lasso, that would probably be my moment to be concerned, but if they were literally just standing/walking/sitting and enjoying their meal like the rest of us, I'd see no reason for it to concern me at all.

My post before was because I was picturing a bunch of people sitting at a table in a restaurant playing with super long hair, like holding it across the table and such (I have a weird imagination). :p

Yeah that would be wild... even for me :p but i think a long braid might get a bad reaction anyway... You just read such things outside of lhc... long hair to them is just dirty by nature that you just shy away from stirring the pot.

eresh
March 31st, 2019, 03:27 PM

Not at all.

JennGalt
March 31st, 2019, 05:12 PM
My husband thinks sticking shed hairs to the side of the shower is super gross. I always clean them up, and I think it’s a lot less gross than having to snake the drain, but apparently rinsing all your hairs down the drain is better. He even gets grossed out by the sheds from my brush in the trash and would rather rinse his comb in the sink. For some reason that sink drains very slowly now, and in his mind it’s either my hair or a big mystery as to why our drains are slow :shake: Nevermind that none of my hair ever makes it into the sink.

SurprisingWoman
March 31st, 2019, 05:52 PM

This was a MAJOR rule when I was growing up. I can NOT have my hair down even in my own kitchen. It gets thrown up in a bun before any foods stuffs are even put away from the grocery store.

I have even said things to other long hairs (BSL) that are flipping their hair around when they are sitting at the next table. No, no, no. 'frude.

It was mentioned that they were outside and dogs were allowed inside. If people go to the restaurant knowing that pets are allowed, that is their choice. Pets probably aren't jumping around and causing dander to fly, at least not in the pet friendly places I go.

I still would not choose a food place to have a hair meeting if there was going to be grooming and trying out new toys. It was a very strongly ingrained rule.

If I am going out I don't worry about having my hair down but if I find the chairs are super close together or they are pulling on my hairs I will excuse myself to go and put my hair up in the ladies room. If I go to a concert or something I will have my hair down but as soon as we sit I will bun it or braid it so it doesn't fly around and disturb those around me. A calf length braid is contained and shouldn't concern anyone that isn't a complete hairphobe.

bparnell75
March 31st, 2019, 05:58 PM
I save the hairs from my hair brush to make hair bumps. My daughter thinks this is gross. I use them to puff up my hair as it has gotten thin,
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4455/37053931984_f804e32996.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Ysk63h)20171016_073842 (https://flic.kr/p/Ysk63h) by Elizabeth Parnell (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147465629@N02/), on Flickr

hollygolightly
March 31st, 2019, 06:05 PM
this things aren't gross in here but using mayo on my hair and not washing it for days. my mom was so freaked out when me and my sister started to wash our hair less often

Ligeia Noire
March 31st, 2019, 06:12 PM
This was a MAJOR rule when I was growing up. I can NOT have my hair down even in my own kitchen. It gets thrown up in a bun before any foods stuffs are even put away from the grocery store.

I have even said things to other long hairs (BSL) that are flipping their hair around when they are sitting at the next table. No, no, no. 'frude.

It was mentioned that they were outside and dogs were allowed inside. If people go to the restaurant knowing that pets are allowed, that is their choice. Pets probably aren't jumping around and causing dander to fly, at least not in the pet friendly places I go.

I still would not choose a food place to have a hair meeting if there was going to be grooming and trying out new toys. It was a very strongly ingrained rule.

If I am going out I don't worry about having my hair down but if I find the chairs are super close together or they are pulling on my hairs I will excuse myself to go and put my hair up in the ladies room. If I go to a concert or something I will have my hair down but as soon as we sit I will bun it or braid it so it doesn't fly around and disturb those around me. A calf length braid is contained and shouldn't concern anyone that isn't a complete hairphobe.

Well, if they were outside I do not see much of a problem, I would probably see more of an issue with a pet but then again, it is a cafe, you mostly drink... What makes me cringe are waitresses with their hair loose or in a pony in restaurants and I always think that they should contain it like their peers in the kitchen need to do, I do keep my hair up all of the time, unless I am making a video, so sometimes I let my braid down to go grocery shopping or theatre or hiking but at restaurants I do not anymore, it attracts too much attention and i always think it might get in someone's soup :p

Not at concerts, it is too crowded and too many tangles are avoided by just leaving it up.

JennGalt
March 31st, 2019, 06:18 PM
I wouldn’t worry about your braid in the soup unless you are using the tassle to stir it :)

blesseddamozel
March 31st, 2019, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't take issue with someone having a long braid in a restaurant, but that's just my opinion. I always knew people frowned upon loose hair in restaurants and such but I didn't know how seriously some people take it. I went somewhere with my mom a few months ago and there was a huge cafeteria to eat in. All the food was served at counters in the front, and we happen to sit in the back away from where most others were eating. After we finished our meals and were just relaxing, I went to re-bun my hair, which only took a few seconds as my hair was barely BSL at the time. My mom looked at me in total shock, like I just threw a dead animal onto the table or something. I asked her what was wrong and she said "we typically don't touch our hair where people eat......". I thought it wouldn't be a big deal because we had no food on our table and all the other folks eating were tables away from us, but alas I guess some people just get really unnerved by hair around food.

But yeah, from that point forward I've never messed with my hair if I'm in a setting that even mildly involves food. I figure it's best to play it safe and not offend the sensibilities of non-hair enthusiasts :p

Ligeia Noire
March 31st, 2019, 06:31 PM
And if it was my own, no one could complain ah :p

ynne
March 31st, 2019, 07:33 PM
I'll be honest: why in the world would someone be grossed out by that? It seems similar to being grossed out by clothes they don't like... a hair colour, a piercing or a tattoo. Live and let live. It doesn't do any harm and short hair is just as likely to fall out.

Then again I find the sanitary concerns a bit excessive, stuff falls off skin and clothes too, there are worse things to get in your food.
Maybe it's a taught habit, though, that it's "inappropriate" on principle.

//

Anyways, I do find it a little concerning how many partners of people here mind their hair / them looking after their hair / hair around the living place. Ok, parents can have an issue with it, but life partners? I can't imagine my wife being anything but supportive. :x But maybe it's just an exaggeration. :)

blackgothicdoll
March 31st, 2019, 07:37 PM
Anyways, I do find it a little concerning how many partners of people here mind their hair / them looking after their hair / hair around the living place. Ok, parents can have an issue with it, but life partners? I can't imagine my wife being anything but supportive. :x But maybe it's just an exaggeration. :)

I get grossed out by my OWN shed hair, and it's mine! I shed a lot, so after wash day it's in the shower, in the sink, on the floor, and the hairs coil up and join together to create hairballs, they're very difficult to get up, I feel disgusted every time I have to vacuum up my shed hair or try to pick up shed hair with a wet sponge... and when it gets wrapped around my loofah... ugh. Oh, and my shed hair embeds itself into my clothes while in the laundry, so then I have to unweave hair that has literally sewn itself in my shirts/sweaters/underwear. If I was dating me I'd be irked by my hair too. :rollin:

eta: OT but the worst is when myhairballs combine with doggo hairballs to create better, faster, stronger hairballs. If they made roombas that went up and down stairs, I've have several.

daisy rei
March 31st, 2019, 08:12 PM

Lmao, when DBF pulls my hairs out of his butt crack or wrapped around his dingaling, I can understand how he might get somewhat disgusted. Most things that come out of the human body are considered gross at times, especially when in excess.

Ligeia Noire
March 31st, 2019, 08:25 PM
I get grossed out by my OWN shed hair, and it's mine! I shed a lot, so after wash day it's in the shower, in the sink, on the floor, and the hairs coil up and join together to create hairballs, they're very difficult to get up, I feel disgusted every time I have to vacuum up my shed hair or try to pick up shed hair with a wet sponge... and when it gets wrapped around my loofah... ugh. Oh, and my shed hair embeds itself into my clothes while in the laundry, so then I have to unweave hair that has literally sewn itself in my shirts/sweaters/underwear. If I was dating me I'd be irked by my hair too. :rollin:

eta: OT but the worst is when myhairballs combine with doggo hairballs to create better, faster, stronger hairballs. If they made roombas that went up and down stairs, I've have several.

:misskim:

You guys....

JennGalt
March 31st, 2019, 09:25 PM
Haha!! Hybrid hairballs are horrible. My husky mix and I have killed several vacuums. The last five years we’ve lived in places with wood floors, and I use a squeegee on the area rug to clean it since we can kill vacuums with just that rug. She and my other dog seem determined to make a carpet out of their sheds despite my efforts to the contrary.

I have trouble with hairs weaving themselves into laundry too. The hair still attached to my head crumbles and splits when I use sulfate shampoos and is prone to breakage, but shed hairs somehow not only survive sulfate laundry detergent and the dryer, but come out strong enough that I can’t rip them free of my clothes :shrug: I will never understand. and I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve found a dangling hairball attached to my clothes by a few strands that have woven themselves into my clothing or around my bra strap. I’ve gone out in public and discovered a hairy adornment trailing from a sleeve more often than I’d care to admit.

Lizabeth94
March 31st, 2019, 10:13 PM
I confess the scratching and picking. If there's anything odd on my scalp I need to get it out asap. Touching my hair and pulling it out of anxiety, I don't know if that's seen as gross, propably.

I do this too so bad. I’m wearing a hat right now to force myself to stop touching and scratching.

LadyAdelina
March 31st, 2019, 11:33 PM

Oh yes, my husband and I have two german shepherds, those combined hairballs are no joke! I get grossed out every time I have to clean out the dryer lint trap, and it's all just mine and the dogs' hair!

Jezerellica
March 31st, 2019, 11:34 PM
Not washing my hair more often than once a week. Adding oil to my hair.

Yeah I’ve heard quite a bit on this topic. Good thing I don’t care. My hair is so dry I don’t have the luxury of caring.

Jezerellica
March 31st, 2019, 11:47 PM

Hey! I did this once! I knew I wasn’t the only one...🤣🤣🤣

Begemot
April 1st, 2019, 02:34 AM
Lmao, when DBF pulls my hairs out of his butt crack or wrapped around his dingaling, I can understand how he might get somewhat disgusted. Most things that come out of the human body are considered gross at times, especially when in excess.

:spitting: damn, poor dude. Love overcomes all obstacles.

Stray_mind
April 1st, 2019, 03:03 AM
I sometimes stick my shed hairs on my shower wall.... :lol:

milosmomma
April 1st, 2019, 07:51 AM

:lol: OMG haha! Yes the buttcrack hairs are bad but dingaling hairs can be the worst! The dr actually warned me to check the baby dingaling for shed hairs wrapped around because they can cut off circulation! I luckily never found any but I did find one wrapped around his toe so tightly it broke the skin in one part. I felt so bad and seriously considered chopping but then thought my sheds would still be long enough to tourniquet dingalings and toes soooo

eadwine
April 1st, 2019, 08:38 AM
I was at both meets with Eresh and the one with Lapushka.

Lapushka remember there was a lady sitting at another table with one of those little dogs.. ON HER LAP.. practically eating OFF HER PLATE???

And that was allowed... *rolls eyes*

StellaStellitsa
April 2nd, 2019, 08:28 AM
l like moving my hand on my scalp and hair and see dandruff/dry skin fall. I wash my hair once a week at most, and have done so for the majority of my life. When I was young I washed my hair in my grandmother's kitchen sink, with warm water from a pot.

Aerya
April 2nd, 2019, 09:03 AM
I used to wash my hair in the kitchen sink as a teen, because I was a lazy little weirdo.

Nowadays I make shower art with my shed hairs, and I use oils on my hair which I'm sure some people find odd. I've never thought of redoing hair in public or on restaurants to be wrong - I'll keep my hair securely out of the way when handling food for others, but if I'm just sitting at a cafe for instance I won't think twice about redoing my bun if needed. If it's shed hairs that's the problem, then people should be more worried about the ones who always wear their hair down, no matter the length. I'm not going to bend over the buffet and scritch my hair, obviously, but if someone has an issue with me fixing my hair while at a cafe, well, that sucks for them.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2019, 10:29 AM
I was at both meets with Eresh and the one with Lapushka.

Lapushka remember there was a lady sitting at another table with one of those little dogs.. ON HER LAP.. practically eating OFF HER PLATE???

And that was allowed... *rolls eyes*

Yes I remember that dog! They allowed pets, but hair was somehow gross to them. And the fact that that lady inside mentioned to me that she was a hairdresser made me cringe! Totally uncalled for!!!

GoldenRussian
April 2nd, 2019, 11:21 AM
People not into haircare are usually grossed out by the fact I do oil masks... Even worse if you include an egg in it !

AmaryllisRed
April 2nd, 2019, 11:40 AM
I mean, I wash three times a week.
That is OFTEN by LHC standards, but would still gross out a lot of people I know. Although I do think it's becoming more socially acceptable not to wash your hair every day.

I stick shed hairs to the shower wall, too. Better there than down the drain.

I re-did my bun at lunch recently. It was very controlled, no flipping of hair, and no one was eating nearby. I can't always excuse myself to re-do my hair so I try to be as subtle as possible.

I wouldn't be grossed out by someone with a long braid at a restaurant. I do think anyone *cooking* food should have it under a hat or a hairnet. Lately I've seen some teen girls with very long, unrestrained hair, working in restaurants. Now THAT I find gross.

Jo Ann
April 2nd, 2019, 12:30 PM
Reaching under one's shirt or lingerie, in public, to reach that ONE stray hair that is tickling the heck out of your rib cage! You know it's there, you can feel it, and you're trying to be as discreet as possible (leaving to go to the restroom is NOT an option) about reaching under your shirt to retrieve the dang thing...then you retrieve it and pull the hair out and it keeps coming and coming and coming...

vpatt
April 2nd, 2019, 02:59 PM
I was doing fingertip massage on my scalp at a friend's house once and she said it made her think I had fleas....her hair was mid thigh, but I guess she didn't mess with her scalp. I don't tell people now that I am doing water only shampoos, I know better than to share that away from LHC!

Laurelin
April 2nd, 2019, 06:32 PM
I have -allot- of hair, it's fine, but its allot... This combined with me combing it circa once a day and having it always in a braid or bun I tend to shed allot all at once since all the lose hairs of that day are then stuck in the braid or bun until I comb it out at home... sooo there are hairballs all over my house. I guess my house is awful to people who consider hairballs dirty ;)
Another recent new habit I adopted is using my BBB to smoothen/straighten my hair and then braiding it so it just looks like I styled my hair all fancy but in reality I'm just lazy and skipping yet another day I ''should'' have washed my hair because I am trying to reach washing it just once a week instead of twice without it looking obviously greasy or dry. :o

SimplySmile
April 3rd, 2019, 06:53 AM
I would have to say stretching wash days. I used to wash once a week and if I could get to 9 days I felt so proud but when I would tell my friends they did not share in the excitement.. Haha.

lapushka
April 3rd, 2019, 08:25 AM
Probably stretching my wash to a week. Stretching washes in general.

My parents find a week "normal", have always found it normal, ever since I was a child and when they were growing up too.

Of course, I got oily scalp as a teen and needed to wash more than once and that was a bit of a struggle. Yes, the world in reverse, I know. My parents thought it was not necessary, until grandma bought me dry shampoo (back then with a regular spritz nozzle). Then my parents saw how bad it actually was (the dry shampoo made it worse) and I finally was allowed to wash it more.

My mom is a mystery on her own. She has always had dry scalp. I take more after my dad, who has more oily/normal scalp (and SD, we both have that too). I am so glad I can talk about it here, because we generally don't tell other people - they would be disgusted with what I'm about to tell you, I'm sure! But what they don't know won't hurt hem, right? ;)

Mom last washed her hair December 18, before the Holidays. Now she will be washing it next week, so that's almost 4 months. She's always been like that, and went to the doctor for it too, who said (family internist at the time) to wash as less as possible as her scalp just didn't need it. There's doctor's advice for you! Even if it was months, he said. So she just follows the cues. She could have washed last month, but she has a Holy Communion service to attend in May and will be coloring, slightly dusting, and roller setting her hair next week; it needs to still be OK for the service, and she doesn't want to be constantly washing and roller setting it.

So that's "gross" for you. :p

Sora Rose
April 3rd, 2019, 08:41 AM
My mom is a mystery on her own. She has always had dry scalp. I take more after my dad, who has more oily/normal scalp (and SD, we both have that too). I am so glad I can talk about it here, because we generally don't tell other people - they would be disgusted with what I'm about to tell you, I'm sure! But what they don't know won't hurt hem, right? ;)

Mom last washed her hair December 18, before the Holidays. Now she will be washing it next week, so that's almost 4 months. She's always been like that, and went to the doctor for it too, who said (family internist at the time) to wash as less as possible as her scalp just didn't need it.

Oh wow, weird coincidence - my grandmother on my mother's side was just like that. She had a dry scalp, and could easily go months without washing. I don't think she told anyone about it outside the family, not even a doctor, but I doubt they'd have noticed. I only know because my mom informed me.

I did not inherit the trait. Neither did anyone else in my family that I know of.

lapushka
April 3rd, 2019, 09:28 AM
Oh wow, weird coincidence - my grandmother on my mother's side was just like that. She had a dry scalp, and could easily go months without washing. I don't think she told anyone about it outside the family, not even a doctor, but I doubt they'd have noticed. I only know because my mom informed me.

I did not inherit the trait. Neither did anyone else in my family that I know of.

That is so awesome that there is another person just like my mom. :)

And the thing is, her scalp doesn't smell; well, it started getting a bit of a smell about a week ago, kind of a sweet sebum-y smell. Not bad, but it definitely now is time to tackle it!

Jo Ann
April 3rd, 2019, 10:39 AM
I would have to say stretching wash days. I used to wash once a week and if I could get to 9 days I felt so proud but when I would tell my friends they did not share in the excitement.. Haha.

I hear you on the washing once a week and the ew/ick factor with other people! I just explain that my hair is VERY dry, and, if I wash it more often than once a week, it frizzes and is hard to control. There ARE a few diehards that think NOT washing one's hair daily is cringeworthy, though--they think you're not "clean" unless you undergo a full-baptism shower (from head to toe) daily...

StellaStellitsa
April 4th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Also, I forgot to say it before, but I actually like it when my hair starts to become oily, it is so much easier to comb. Also I have gone a few months without washing my hair in the past due to depression, mainly. The second reason would be that it was winter and I have a cold house, and my hair needed a day to dry. The third reason would be the fact that I usually don't have warm water in winter and have to warm water in pots. (that happened when I had hair longer than waist, close to hips)

trolleypup
April 4th, 2019, 06:43 PM
My friend who works at a theater told me to give my hair to them, so they could make some moustache and beards out of it. And maybe i will. :D
I was hanging out in the wig and makeup room during Beauty, and I got a couple inches of trashed split ends donated to Beast (mixed with the ruddy beard hairs from another guy)...yes, they carefully soaked all the "donated" hair in alcohol before applying it!

trolleypup
April 4th, 2019, 07:19 PM
Would you guys be grossed out by someone at a restaurant with a braid down their legs?Like down their pants leg and out the ankle? Wildly interested mostly!

I/m more concerned about short hair that you couldn't see if it fell in your food. If I shed in your soup, it is perfectly obvious that it is there, not like a 1cm fragment that you don't notice til it is stuck in your teeth. Not THAT is gross.

I wouldn’t worry about your braid in the soup unless you are using the tassle to stir it :)
My soup! My tassle! None of the mundanes' business that I sucked the savory soup out of it before dipping it in my water glass and patting it dry.

Reaching under one's shirt or lingerie, in public, to reach that ONE stray hair that is tickling the heck out of your rib cage! You know it's there, you can feel it, and you're trying to be as discreet as possible (leaving to go to the restroom is NOT an option) about reaching under your shirt to retrieve the dang thing...then you retrieve it and pull the hair out and it keeps coming and coming and coming...
And then it is still attached, so you carefully pull it out your collar and rebun it...because you know you are already so far off the grossout scale...

I would have to say stretching wash days. I used to wash once a week and if I could get to 9 days I felt so proud but when I would tell my friends they did not share in the excitement.. Haha.What they don't know...

ritza
April 4th, 2019, 08:18 PM
People find gross,that I wash my hair in the sink,but I clean up very well after😃

Dark40
April 4th, 2019, 08:44 PM
Use vasaline on my hair as a hot oil treatment.

AmaryllisRed
April 4th, 2019, 08:51 PM
Like down their pants leg and out the ankle? Wildly interested mostly!

I/m more concerned about short hair that you couldn't see if it fell in your food. If I shed in your soup, it is perfectly obvious that it is there, not like a 1cm fragment that you don't notice til it is stuck in your teeth. Not THAT is gross.

My soup! My tassle! None of the mundanes' business that I sucked the savory soup out of it before dipping it in my water glass and patting it dry.

And then it is still attached, so you carefully pull it out your collar and rebun it...because you know you are already so far off the grossout scale...
What they don't know...

Oh my goodness, I want to grow to ankle so I can do this! Ha!
Oh but wait! If I grow to knee by next summer, I could wear shorts and make my braid come out my shorts!
Hahaha I think this would be so funny. And I don't care if that makes me weird.

Stray_mind
April 5th, 2019, 03:07 AM
Oh my goodness, I want to grow to ankle so I can do this! Ha!
Oh but wait! If I grow to knee by next summer, I could wear shorts and make my braid come out my shorts!
Hahaha I think this would be so funny. And I don't care if that makes me weird.

It would certainly attract some looks :lol:

Hairkay
April 5th, 2019, 06:35 AM
I don't use shampoo. To some that sounds terrible. I haven't got much choice about it but I have managed very well. They'd freak out even worse if I was boasting about my DIY fruit/food hair masks.

milosmomma
April 5th, 2019, 07:08 AM
It would certainly attract some looks :lol:
Haha! Especially depending where you bring the tassel out....
Edit: when my hair got long enough I liked to trick and gross out my family and bf by pulling the ends under my armpits and asking if they thought I should shave :lol:

lapushka
April 5th, 2019, 07:09 AM
People find gross,that I wash my hair in the sink,but I clean up very well after��

I used my bathroom sink for a long time. I have a little showerhead attached to the tap there.

But loads of people use the kitchen sink, nice big basin, big tap. What's not to like. And if you clean it out really well, what's the issue, right?

AmaryllisRed
April 5th, 2019, 07:55 AM
Haha! Especially depending where you bring the tassel out....
Edit: when my hair got long enough I liked to trick and gross out my family and bf by pulling the ends under my armpits and asking if they thought I should shave :lol:

Yep, I've done that!
Also made my hair into a "beard."

Dark40
April 5th, 2019, 05:05 PM
I don't use shampoo. To some that sounds terrible. I haven't got much choice about it but I have managed very well. They'd freak out even worse if I was boasting about my DIY fruit/food hair masks.

I don't fine anything wrong with that. So, you mostly co-wash or use conditioner, right? Because, that's what I do the majority of the times every time I wash my hair, and since I do that I clarify at least once a month.

ranisteph
April 5th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Using henna on my hair.

Hairkay
April 6th, 2019, 07:54 AM
I don't fine anything wrong with that. So, you mostly co-wash or use conditioner, right? Because, that's what I do the majority of the times every time I wash my hair, and since I do that I clarify at least once a month.

I don't use manufactured conditioners at all just a DIY hair mask once a week ;and daily rinsing. Some would be fine with how I do things but I do know others would be horrified.

lapushka
April 6th, 2019, 10:17 AM
I don't use manufactured conditioners at all just a DIY hair mask once a week ;and daily rinsing. Some would be fine with how I do things but I do know others would be horrified.

You have to do you, girl! :D Don't mind what anyone else says. If you have allergies, or sensitivities (which we might all get at some point), then what are you gonna do?

Dark40
April 6th, 2019, 11:12 AM

Ok, I find DIY hair masks to be good for your hair as well. Yes, daily rinsing and water is the best thing for hair. Yes, I know what you mean about some others would be fine with how you do things but know others would be horrified. I wouldn't worry about them if I were you. They have to realize that you might have allergies or have sensitive skin.

Hairkay
April 7th, 2019, 06:02 AM
You have to do you, girl! :D Don't mind what anyone else says. If you have allergies, or sensitivities (which we might all get at some point), then what are you gonna do?

Ok, I find DIY hair masks to be good for your hair as well. Yes, daily rinsing and water is the best thing for hair. Yes, I know what you mean about some others would be fine with how you do things but know others would be horrified. I wouldn't worry about them if I were you. They have to realize that you might have allergies or have sensitive skin.

Oh I don't worry about them. I do what suits me. I am just aware that these views exists and not everyone understands allergies. It's my business so I don't go shouting it on the rooftops. Some of my family know what I do and so does a friend. The friend does have trouble considering hair to be cleaned without shampoo but she is amazed how my hair has grown visibly longer with my current hair care regime and how well it looks. The only thing is with more length the curls are hanging more so volume has decreased unless I make a heavy styling effort to change this.

Ylva
April 20th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Oiling my hair and scalp, especially with "food products" like olive oil. Sometimes letting my hair get very oily. Not washing the lengths of my hair. Sometimes using shampoos that don't make my hair and scalp "squeaky clean".

I guess that's all I can come up with for now. :shrug:

Sarahlabyrinth
April 21st, 2019, 02:12 AM

Would you be willing to share your recipe with us? :)

ArabellaRose
April 21st, 2019, 06:14 AM
Oiling my hair and scalp, especially with "food products" like olive oil.

This! People think it's really weird and gross that I do that, I just respond "well, it's not USED olive oil".

Usually this all happens after I get complimented and asked what my secret is. Baffling they think it's weird after complimenting the results!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 21st, 2019, 06:32 AM
This! People think it's really weird and gross that I do that, I just respond "well, it's not USED olive oil".

Usually this all happens after I get complimented and asked what my secret is. Baffling they think it's weird after complimenting the results!

My DH used to go to school and some of the boys there couldn't afford to buy Brylcream for their hair. Instead, they used USED engine oil :p

Joules
April 21st, 2019, 09:10 AM
Not cutting off my thin ends? Well, no one really sees them, but if they did they'd tell me it's gross. Other than that I'd say I'm a pretty non-disgusting person hair-wise :lol:

The things I used to do though...I don't know which one should have the title of The Grossest Thing Ever. Egg washing? Fermented milk masks? Onion juice? Gosh, I wonder how I even had friends back then :lol:

Begemot
April 21st, 2019, 09:17 AM
Not cutting off my thin ends? Well, no one really sees them, but if they did they'd tell me it's gross. Other than that I'd say I'm a pretty non-disgusting person hair-wise :lol:

The things I used to do though...I don't know which one should have the title of The Grossest Thing Ever. Egg washing? Fermented milk masks? Onion juice? Gosh, I wonder how I even had friends back then :lol:

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: Dang, that's a new one for me! Did it work?

Joules
April 21st, 2019, 09:35 AM
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: Dang, that's a new one for me! Did it work?

No, it taught me that regular food from the fridge shouldn't be used on hair, ever :lol: except for oils, of course

Begemot
April 21st, 2019, 10:01 AM
No, it taught me that regular food from the fridge shouldn't be used on hair, ever :lol: except for oils, of course

:lol: :lol:

MusicalSpoons
April 21st, 2019, 10:16 AM

Oh my, I read that with a sharp intake of breath! Everything else I can kind of understand people trying (though a lingering onion smell would just make me hungry!) but fermented milk ... yikes :bigeyes:

(I'm guessing it didn't work so spectacularly as to be worth the stench :p )

lapushka
April 21st, 2019, 10:47 AM
People do fermented rice water as well, I've seen it as a pre-poo. Now that can't smell all that good either, but people still swear by it!

MusicalSpoons
April 21st, 2019, 10:55 AM
People do fermented rice water as well, I've seen it as a pre-poo. Now that can't smell all that good either, but people still swear by it!

True, although from what I've read the smell usually goes away once it's rinsed out*; plus people use citrus peels and EOs to make it smell slightly better anyway. Definitely can't use citrus in milk to help the smell :tmi: ... although ... It's fermented already, maybe a little curdling won't hurt :lol: ;)

*I'm still not going to try it

Begemot
April 21st, 2019, 11:18 AM
I have tried fermented rice water once but didn't ferment it enough to make it smell (a tad over 24 hours). I wouldn't have put it in my head if it had a strong smell, I'm way too sensitive to smells :lol:

Joules
April 22nd, 2019, 02:43 AM
Oh my, I read that with a sharp intake of breath! Everything else I can kind of understand people trying (though a lingering onion smell would just make me hungry!) but fermented milk ... yikes :bigeyes:

(I'm guessing it didn't work so spectacularly as to be worth the stench :p )

Onion smell wasn't tasty at all, it was more like onion-smelling breath :lol: it lingered in my hair for good 6 months, showing all its glory in humid/rainy weather. But nothing beats eggs. Even though I tried using only egg yolks that supposedly didn't smell, some of the whites made their way into my hair. It was so bad I would wake up in the middle of the night because of egg stench induced nausea.

Fermented milk just sounds bad, it was the least crazy of my experiments. Homemade mustard that burned my scalp was way worse. I used a Russian drink called kefir which basically is fermented milk. Like regular yoghurt but a bit more sour. It's actually very tasty and when used on hair it's supposed to be moisturizing (some women even use it to remove hair dye from their hair). The disgusting part is that it's liquid and it just drips all over your face and body. Now that I think of it, maybe I should mix a tablespoon of it into a thick conditioner and give it a second chance :hmm: coconut milk does work very nicely this way :hmm:

Aerya
April 22nd, 2019, 02:52 AM
Onion smell wasn't tasty at all, it was more like onion-smelling breath :lol: it lingered in my hair for good 6 months, showing all its glory in humid/rainy weather. But nothing beats eggs. Even though I tried using only egg yolks that supposedly didn't smell, some of the whites made their way into my hair. It was so bad I would wake up in the middle of the night because of egg stench induced nausea.

Fermented milk just sounds bad, it was the least crazy of my experiments. Homemade mustard that burned my scalp was way worse. I used a Russian drink called kefir which basically is fermented milk. Like regular yoghurt but a bit more sour. It's actually very tasty and when used on hair it's supposed to be moisturizing (some women even use it to remove hair dye from their hair). The disgusting part is that it's liquid and it just drips all over your face and body. Now that I think of it, maybe I should mix a tablespoon of it into a thick conditioner and give it a second chance :hmm: coconut milk does work very nicely this way :hmm:

Oh dear, thanks for the laugh! I can only imagine the smell, hahaha.

But when you say remove hair dye with kefir, do you mean like washing it off after developing, or remove old hair dye? If it's the latter I might have to try it for my ends that grabbed too much colour.

Joules
April 22nd, 2019, 03:15 AM
Oh dear, thanks for the laugh! I can only imagine the smell, hahaha.

But when you say remove hair dye with kefir, do you mean like washing it off after developing, or remove old hair dye? If it's the latter I might have to try it for my ends that grabbed too much colour.

Removing old hair dye. I have no experience with it, but reviews are nice.

Aerya
April 22nd, 2019, 04:50 AM
Removing old hair dye. I have no experience with it, but reviews are nice.

Cool! Most DIY hair dye removals I found seems focused on baking soda and vitamin C powder and I'm not willing to dry out my hair just to lighten it a little, but kefir sounds like a nice treatment on its own. I will try!

yl
June 29th, 2019, 12:53 AM
I've done stuff and put a lot of weird things in my hair, those magical "GROW 12 INCHES OF HAIR IN ONE DAY!" :magic: youtube recipes? I've done it all, it's so normal to me now that I don't even think about what others may say, btw 96% of those tutorials don't even work unless the intention is to make us look stupid.

S&S
June 29th, 2019, 02:31 AM
My sister pulls strand out when she needs to floss!!!! Lol - disgusting, I know.!

“Gross” thing I do, like many others is wash it once a week. I have gone longer though ��

Siv
June 29th, 2019, 02:35 AM
I've actually never had anyone say that putting vegetable oils in hair is gross, but I guess conventional hair care brands are putting out a lot of hair oils and whatnot these days so maybe putting coconut oil in hair isn't that much of a stretch for most people :shrug:

I don't talk with others about how often I wash my hair, I figure most would find it gross that I don't wash at the first sign of sebum... my ex-SO didn't notice much, I wear it up when it doesn't look squeaky clean and I wear it up for sleeping sooo...

About dingaling hairs though -
When I was in college I lived in different types of shared housing, always mixed guys and girls (which I've heard is a bit unusual in some places, but not around here!). Anyway, at one point I shared a flat with two guy friends, one of which was a fairly close friend at that time and we had a lot of friends in common. One night when several of us were out for a drink at a bar, my friend described very detailed how a hair had wrapped itself around his bits. My gut reaction was honestly horrified, lol. We had a weird relationship at that time, I wouldn't say we were like family, but there were some aspects, and definitely all platonic. Anyway, thinking about it now, I think because I see my hair as part of myself, I was horrified that it had anything to do with his private bits...

Six Seeds
June 29th, 2019, 02:53 AM
I used to cut off a good length of my hair every so often. I gave one of these hanks to my partner's grandmother for a doll wig, which she then used on a doll that she gifted to me. People probably find this more creepy than gross.

Not something I did, but definitely something gross that happened with my hair: when my hair was at its longest, showering was a horrible ordeal. The water sluicing down my hair would cause the ends to slip right into the cleavage of my bum. I don't know why it never occurred to me to just pin it up and wash it separately, LOL. I have a stool for the shower now so I expect it to be easier this time around. (Currently my hair is only around APL/BSL, so not much of a hassle yet).

Stardreamer
June 29th, 2019, 02:54 AM
My sister pulls strand out when she needs to floss!!!! Lol - disgusting, I know.!

“Gross” thing I do, like many others is wash it once a week. I have gone longer though ��

Flossing with hair?!

S&S
June 29th, 2019, 02:55 AM
Yeah! She’s got some tough hair strands haha

blackgothicdoll
June 29th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Flossing with hair?!

Yeah! She’s got some tough hair strands haha

Umm yeah I do this if I feel something stuck in my teeth and don't have floss on hand. I usually grab until I find a shed hair, I always do. I wouldn't actually pull out a hair for this unless it was urgent.

I also used to use shed hairs to remove my acrylic nails.

:lol:

browntatis
June 29th, 2019, 12:02 PM
When I have time I love using natural hair mask, the ingredients I normally use are mayo, eggs, avocado, plain yogurt, honey, oils... well, it works for me, some may find it gross but they actually works on my hair type.

browntatis
June 29th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I forgot, years ago I used to do the onion shampoo experiment... chopped onions in a regular shampoo bottle, let it sit for 15 days! Wow lol and the use it... this one was for increasing hair growth, it actually worked for me, it doubled my hair growth, (I normally grow 1cm a month, with the onion shampoo I was having 2 cm!) But I couldn't stand the smell anymore so I stopped using it.

yl
June 29th, 2019, 01:56 PM
I used to cut off a good length of my hair every so often. I gave one of these hanks to my partner's grandmother for a doll wig, which she then used on a doll that she gifted to me. People probably find this more creepy than gross.

Not something I did, but definitely something gross that happened with my hair: when my hair was at its longest, showering was a horrible ordeal. The water sluicing down my hair would cause the ends to slip right into the cleavage of my bum. I don't know why it never occurred to me to just pin it up and wash it separately, LOL. I have a stool for the shower now so I expect it to be easier this time around. (Currently my hair is only around APL/BSL, so not much of a hassle yet).

I never even thought about this, that's funny :p

I forgot, years ago I used to do the onion shampoo experiment... chopped onions in a regular shampoo bottle, let it sit for 15 days! Wow lol and the use it... this one was for increasing hair growth, it actually worked for me, it doubled my hair growth, (I normally grow 1cm a month, with the onion shampoo I was having 2 cm!) But I couldn't stand the smell anymore so I stopped using it.

I'd rather put onions on my hair than in my mouth, I don't know maybe I'm weird but I can't stand onions, the smell, the taste, the texture, if Satan was a vegetable he would definitely be an onion. The worst part is everyone around me loves onions and wants them in all the food and I always have to pick them out!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

milosmomma
June 29th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Some people may find it gross that I just made a concoction of honey, aloe, mayonnaise, every type of oil I have(at least 7 kinds) and a squirt of every conditioner Nd detangler I have and I am going to slather it over my head and then wear a plastic shopping bag for an hour while mysterious food and hair goop drips down my neck lol.

S&S
June 29th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Haha yes, she would try to find a loose strand first. She has so much hair though 😭

Six Seeds
July 1st, 2019, 09:02 PM
When I have time I love using natural hair mask, the ingredients I normally use are mayo, eggs, avocado, plain yogurt, honey, oils... well, it works for me, some may find it gross but they actually works on my hair type.

My mom has dry, coarse hair and she was all putting "weird" food masks on it when I was a kid. She did mayo quite a few times. I love it because she gets excited whenever I tell her about something new to try. I turned her on to coconut oil.

Oh gosh y'all, my partner caught me putting shed hairs in a plastic baggie today, LOL. He's used to me doing stuff to my hair and walking around with it in funny styles and bonnets on off days, but he gave me the dirtiest look when he saw me with the bag of hairs! :whistle:

emmacarol
June 29th, 2020, 10:55 AM
I've found that a lot of people who don't know much about haircare and oil treatments think that oiling hair is really gross. I think it's because they associate it with greasy hair or something, but it makes my hair healthier so I don't care! :o

Feral_
June 29th, 2020, 12:57 PM
For me it's when someone asks what shampoo I use... their face when I say I don't use any, just wash it with water, is usually quite amusing.

Jane99
June 29th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Ha the name of this thread cracked me up!! Yes my hubs also thinks the oiling this is weird... although gross would be an exaggeration. He says things like “isn’t it counterproductive to put oil in your clean hair?”

We were talking about placenta on hair the other day at work... and though I don’t do it, it does sound gross to me. Things other people do that I find gross. Although I’m sure there will be the day that I break down and do it!

BleachedBerry
June 29th, 2020, 12:58 PM
My husband was pretty weirded out one time when he found the cooking oil, honey and acv. etc. under the bathroom sink.
But I think my last fremented rice water rinse did it for him though as far as gross factor goes.

ZoeZ
June 29th, 2020, 05:34 PM
As a noob grower of long hair, I've been weirdly and hilariously educated with this thread about the antics of true long hairs. I now know I don't have to be embarrassed about ANYTHING to do with my hair, :cheese::shocked::rollin::rollin::rollin:

meepster
June 29th, 2020, 05:42 PM
I’m not really a longhair yet, but I refuse to color my graying hair. I’m sure some people think that’s weird and gross. I’m just too lazy to deal with the upkeep.

oldrocker
June 29th, 2020, 07:02 PM
I’m not really a longhair yet, but I refuse to color my graying hair. I’m sure some people think that’s weird and gross. I’m just too lazy to deal with the upkeep.

You go girl!!!!

(oops...that seemed pretty cheerleaderish for an ancient(you know...in his 50s) guy.....

O.R.

Iyashikei
June 29th, 2020, 09:19 PM
You go girl!!!!

(oops...that seemed pretty cheerleaderish for an ancient(you know...in his 50s) guy.....

O.R.

Could have been worse. You could have said yass queen 😜

OT: My mom thinks stretching my washes is gross. With how greasy my hair became last time I do understand though.

Jools69
June 30th, 2020, 12:37 AM

I refuse to colour any greys I have, too (avatar picture is my natural colour taken last August). I’m sure I’ve been discriminated against, or looked down upon because I don’t. My feeling is: why should I let society dictate how I wear my hair? The other thing is also the upkeep, the damage and of course, the cost!

I’ve also noticed people’s facial expressions when I tell them I only wash my hair once, sometimes twice a week. Not to mention how I only apply the shampoo to my scalp and the conditioner to my lengths - how does that clean hair, I’ve had. Well, my hair is clean, less frizzy and my hairdresser agrees! :p

Feral_
June 30th, 2020, 01:51 AM
I’m going grey disgracefully too. As a result mine is many colours - dark brown with ‘natural highlights’ at the roots through to medium shades of brown and light auburn on the ends.

I dislike the fact grey hair is generally considered distinguished on males yet on females it’s heinous.

Jools69
June 30th, 2020, 02:15 AM
I’m going grey disgracefully too. As a result mine is many colours - dark brown with ‘natural highlights’ at the roots through to medium shades of brown and light auburn on the ends.

I dislike the fact grey hair is generally considered distinguished on males yet on females it’s heinous.

I agree. :agree: Why is it ok for men, but not women to have grey hair? There’s a lot of issues around women’s bodies that are curtailed by society. :rolleyes: Although my partner doesn’t mind if I don’t cover my greys and prefers me to have long hair. :D

I’ve noticed how much people are reliant on hairdressers so much. I’m all for if it makes people feel better having haircut or dyed. I like to go against the grain. :wink: When customers and colleagues at work ask how I’m coping, I say that it doesn’t bother me, as I’m growing my hair anyway! :laugh:

tekla
July 3rd, 2020, 03:34 PM
I have only few grey hairs here and there but I think I'll never dye them. When I discovered the first greys I was actually quite excited and I'm honestly waiting for more greys! I have blonde highlights naturally and greys match it nicely.

I haven't dyed in fourteen years because I like my natural colour and it would be too much trouble to dye, maintain the colour and so on. I'm plain lazy and not dyeing was also a statement back then: having your own natural colour in one's early twenties wasn't that popular. I want to do my bit to show that it's ok not to dye and this goes for us with greying hair as well.

LadyLongLocks
July 3rd, 2020, 10:22 PM
Only washing once every 7 to 10 days. People think its gross. LOL:p

oldrocker
July 3rd, 2020, 11:01 PM
Only washing once every 7 to 10 days. People think its gross. LOL:p

OMG JJJ, I'm grossed out. Nah...not really...I only do twice a week...and that is cause this mess is in the awkward stage....

O.R.