PDA

View Full Version : Condition twice?

Liz_H
March 30th, 2019, 08:32 PM
I've noticed that many people condition their hair twice. I'm curious about the difference that makes, and the science or reason behind it.

blackgothicdoll
March 30th, 2019, 08:33 PM
My hair is dry af.... that's basically it. :o lol.

Pamberpestana
March 30th, 2019, 10:13 PM
I've noticed that when I condition my hair the first time, after letting it sit on my ends while I continue to shower, it feels as if the conditioner is "soaked in" like maybe it's done working, like it's not as slippery? I don't know...

I condition again for little extra... oomph, if you will haha

Not sure on the sciences, but this is what I've noticed.

Jo Ann
March 30th, 2019, 11:56 PM
Conditioning twice enables my hair to hold moisture better, so when my hair's dry, it doesn't look like I just stepped off my broom. My hair nods in agreement with BlackGothicDoll--it's DRY!

littlestarface
March 31st, 2019, 12:47 AM
My hair is dry too it needs lots of moisture, I have to do oil and 2 conditioners and some leave ins or else my hair is so poofy and dry feeling. Sometimes I do a moisture protein mask and then a conditioner.

Simsy
March 31st, 2019, 12:54 AM
For my own observations; curlies benefit the most, the reason being that curls are naturally dry. Quick science lesson; the scalp produces oils alongside the hair strands themselves. It’s the scalp’s way of moisturising and protecting the skin. This oil travels down the hair strands and keeps them in reasonable condition. On straight hair; this works rather well and can overwhelm the strands, giving an oily look. On curls, the oil gets struck in the upper portion of the coils; leaving the lower strands without that moisture. On a side note; regular washing your hair strips the hair of this oil and forces the scalp to panic and produce more to compensate.

The conditioner is intended to replace the oil from your scalp and assist in the general health of the strands. Just for giggles; curlies also have scales (Gossamar will hopefully know the correct term for them) that don’t permit as much moisture to get through and into the strands. So, in brief, curlies have a harder time moving the oil down, a harder time absorbing the oil, and start out with drier strands.

The double conditioner allows the hair to take in as much moisture as it could possibly want. After a while, some people eventually stop benifitting from the additional soaking as the hair has taken in enough moisture.

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 03:43 AM
I've noticed that many people condition their hair twice. I'm curious about the difference that makes, and the science or reason behind it.

There is already a thread on this, the link is in my signature (WCC). But I will link it here for you. Try reading through that thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314

Double conditioning was a spin-off of the CWC thread.

I once went CG (curly girl) and that didn't work. And because I needed to use a drying shampoo (sulfate) for my scalp issues, I needed the moisture. So I just did the conditioning post-wash, twice; and it worked!

Begemot
March 31st, 2019, 03:53 AM
I've noticed that when I condition my hair the first time, after letting it sit on my ends while I continue to shower, it feels as if the conditioner is "soaked in" like maybe it's done working, like it's not as slippery? I don't know...

I condition again for little extra... oomph, if you will haha

Not sure on the sciences, but this is what I've noticed.

I have noticed the same. Maybe it's because my hair is mostly low porosity and products need time to soak in. Doing CWC also protects my length from shampoo water. CWC also helps to keep my hair more moisturized when I don't have much time and have to do a quick wash.

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 05:09 AM
Yes you can actually go both ways.

CWC, or
WCC

Both incorporate double conditioning.

I also use conditioners and masks interchangeably. I use my masks as "conditioners" basically, because I leave it all in for 2 min. and no more. IMO, if it doesn't work in 2 min. it's not a good product. This day and age it's not a "good thing" to bring something out on the market that you have to leave in for 15-30 min. for it to "work". I want a good product, not one I have to work with. ;)

LadyCelestina
March 31st, 2019, 05:21 AM
I like conditioning twice (or as many times as needed), because

1. My hair takes ages to get wet. I need it very wet and slippery for detangling, and conditioning twice helps get the water in.

2. Sometimes you have conditioners with different properties (a lighter and a thicker one), or a conditioner that's not great as a leave in, or a conditioner you don't want to use up quickly. My hair is very very picky about leave ins, so the only way to introduce some serious moisture is in the shower.

gingerninja
March 31st, 2019, 06:34 AM
Doing the cwcc method has transformed my hair, i used to get awful tangles and my ends always felt like straw, since conditioning twice (or more) these issues have almost resolved themselves plus my hair stay moisturised for over a week without additional products.

milosmomma
March 31st, 2019, 10:42 AM

:lol: This! Haha plus I do the roo method and without the second conditioning my hair would still hold tons of oil and be stringy and too oily after drying.

Luna Starsetta
April 3rd, 2019, 02:56 PM
I happen to CWC! I actually apply an inexpensive conditioner ears down and leave that in while I get knots out. Then leaving it in still I apply a sulfate free shampoo and I massage for a bit and rinse it all out! After that I apply the 2nd conditioner or in my case a masque comb it though and let that sit clipped up while I do other showerly things. Rinse get out and I LOC to style the curls. The difference it makes is it helps minimize and control some of the frizz and FlyAway's I get.

zashin66
April 3rd, 2019, 11:20 PM
WCCC is what my hair requires:shrug:

MusicalSpoons
April 4th, 2019, 05:25 AM
I started CWC a long while ago, over a year ago or maybe two, but I don't remember when exactly. I alternated CWC with WCC to start with and found CWC better for my hair because it makes it feel softer and better moisturised (probably because it sits a bit longer than doing WCC, and perhaps because it protects my lengths from the shampoo suds ... Though my shampoo is gentle so I actually think it's just the length of time it sits.) I've since added ROO to my routine, and my most recent tweak was using a protein conditioner as my first C.

I've been using the first C as a pre-poo 'treatment' on damp hair for an hour or so before I wash (shampoo and condition), and the results are amazing. I am In Love with how soft my hair feels recently! When I've done the occasional pre-poo like that in the past with different conditioners the results were still pretty good, so while the quality of conditioner does make a difference, the technique has the most impact for me.

I also don't need to do anything additional to my hair during the week or so between full washes, so the investment in more product (though I use relatively little anyway, it seems!) and time on a full wash day makes it worth it. In between full washes I just comb and bun, and my hair is happy :)

lapushka
April 4th, 2019, 06:16 AM
WCCC is what my hair requires:shrug:

I'm gonna be trying that this week; a third conditioning on my WCC routine. I said it last week, but... I just kind of have to remind myself. LOL. Just to see how it goes.

ExpectoPatronum
April 4th, 2019, 09:27 AM

This about sums up why I condition twice :)

p3anutbuttercup
December 20th, 2019, 11:15 PM
I’ve recently started conditioning my hair twice and I am definitely satisfied with the results. I highly recommend giving it a try for two weeks. It couldn’t hurt.

Simsy
December 21st, 2019, 02:34 AM
Min probably going to double condition this week; my hair is so dry it’s almost painful.

lapushka
December 21st, 2019, 01:16 PM
I’ve recently started conditioning my hair twice and I am definitely satisfied with the results. I highly recommend giving it a try for two weeks. It couldn’t hurt.

Min probably going to double condition this week; my hair is so dry it’s almost painful.

The link to the "official" double conditioning thread is in my signature, I'm sure there's plenty more information there as well, it's the WCC link.

0xalis
December 23rd, 2019, 02:36 AM
I already use so much conditioner.... But I might try this lol

*Wednesday*
December 23rd, 2019, 01:39 PM
Buildup (from conditioner, oils, products etc.) can inhibit hair from absorbing moisture and nutrients in hair conditioner. If hair isn’t clarified well and buildup not removed blocks moisture from getting in the hair shaft. If no moisture is getting into the hair, the hair underneath the buildup can dry out.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2019, 02:58 PM
Buildup (from conditioner, oils, products etc.) can inhibit hair from absorbing moisture and nutrients in hair conditioner. If hair isn’t clarified well and buildup not removed blocks moisture from getting in the hair shaft. If no moisture is getting into the hair, the hair underneath the buildup can dry out.

I WCC, and clarify every week, so there's no issue at all.

Anything can build up on the hair, even one conditioner, with a lot of waxes or butters, or silicones.

Volchitsa
December 23rd, 2019, 04:58 PM
I condition twice but I also shampoo twice as well. I make sure I shampoo only my roots then condition my whole head then rinse then condition my ends cause I know those are the furthest from my roots.

*Wednesday*
December 23rd, 2019, 06:45 PM
I WCC, and clarify every week, so there's no issue at all.

Anything can build up on the hair, even one conditioner, with a lot of waxes or butters, or silicones.

I’ve been clarifying once a month because I was scared it would dry out my hair. I was thinking about doing it more often. Do you find your hair is much better if you clarify weekly? My hair is fine and I feel like if too much is sitting on it it gets limp but if I clarified it too much it would dry out. I cut back to shampooing once a week just my scalp and on Wednesday just conditioning the ends and just doing a warm water wash.

C_Bookworm
December 23rd, 2019, 07:48 PM
I detangle in the shower. Double conditioning is necessary to get through all the tangles.

MusicalSpoons
December 23rd, 2019, 07:56 PM
I’ve been clarifying once a month because I was scared it would dry out my hair. I was thinking about doing it more often. Do you find your hair is much better if you clarify weekly? My hair is fine and I feel like if too much is sitting on it it gets limp but if I clarified it too much it would dry out. I cut back to shampooing once a week just my scalp and on Wednesday just conditioning the ends and just doing a warm water wash.

I CWC with ROO in between, sulphate-free shampoo, and very rarely clarify :lol: at most once every few months, if my ends are starting to feel grabby. Tbh just actively shampooing the lengths with my usual shampoo usually does the job, and I'll only go stronger if I feel it could do with chelating, if more than my ends have been feeling 'off'. (Then I have to avoid my scalp, because it only tolerates my mild shampoo.)

*Wednesday*
December 23rd, 2019, 08:34 PM
I CWC with ROO in between, sulphate-free shampoo, and very rarely clarify :lol: at most once every few months, if my ends are starting to feel grabby. Tbh just actively shampooing the lengths with my usual shampoo usually does the job, and I'll only go stronger if I feel it could do with chelating, if more than my ends have been feeling 'off'. (Then I have to avoid my scalp, because it only tolerates my mild shampoo.)

Thanks. How often do you shampoo the length? I feel if I avoid them too much I might be doing more harm than good.

0xalis
December 23rd, 2019, 08:57 PM
I've never clarified in my life, and I've never had an issue with buildup since going cone free...
in fact I'm not sure I've ever had an issue with buildup period. And I live somewhere with hard water!
I think my hair just doesn't care??? :confused: I know if the hard water becomes an issue ever I can use ACV anyway.

MusicalSpoons
December 24th, 2019, 02:38 AM
Thanks. How often do you shampoo the length? I feel if I avoid them too much I might be doing more harm than good.

On average, every three or four months - I used to go longer and clarify twice a year max, but I tend to pre-poo with oil now which I didn't before, and I also now shampoo the lengths at the first sign of grabbiness 'just in case' rather than hoping it settles down by itself. It usually did settle down by itself after a few washes so I'm not sure the shampooing is entirely *necessary*, but I can't afford any extra breakage caused by grabbiness with such old, thin ends.

However I think the majority of people on here clarify rather more often, and I don't use any styling products which probably makes a difference too.

I went for a little bit of chelating (also clarifying, by default) once a month to see if that made a difference but I haven't kept up with it; the only difference I noticed was my ends felt drier quicker but that could also have been down to different conditioner :shrug:

lapushka
December 26th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Yes my ends are better, I don't let the suds run down, I wash it top to bottom. My hair is F too, but it gets weighed down easily, and so I think removing the build-up is much better. I weekly wash, though, so there's that.