PDA

View Full Version : CPAP hair (for sleep apnea, not a new acronym)

Liz_H
March 30th, 2019, 08:30 PM
For those of you who sleep with a CPAP machine, how do you do your hair for sleeping? I've been doing a side braid, but would like to try something else. I just read that repeated use of a hair elastic in the same place can damage hair at that point.

FennFire911
March 30th, 2019, 09:34 PM
The only thing I can think of right off that I would do if I needed one for sleep (my ex husband uses one, I know what you're dealing with) is that I would see about wearing a sleep cap and then fitting the mask straps over that. I don't think that would interfere with the face seal. It may be as simple as tying on a silk scarf before putting on the mask.

I hope you get something that works for you. CPAP can definitely be tricky. Good luck! :)

gustavonut
March 30th, 2019, 09:58 PM
I don’t use a CPAP machine but I wear a sleeping mask and would wear a topknot on my head when my hair was longer. Or a Cinnabun, held by a claw clip. Or double braids!

MusicalSpoons
March 31st, 2019, 08:07 AM
If a side braid is what works, you could secure it with a ribbon (braided in) instead of an elastic. (I find sleeping in braids to be damaging but lots of people don't, plus I guess with the mask straps your style options are limited!) As for the elastic straps, probably good to try something silky like a scarf or sleep cap / bonnet between your hair and the elastic; it shouldn't interfere with the seal as FennFire said but it could hypothetically cause the strap elastic to slip (depending on the shape of your head and where the elastic goes) - the only way to find out would be to try, though.

Or there is the 'on top of your head' option, which works for many but for others causes scalp pain - again, you'll only find out if you try :)

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 11:39 AM
The only thing I can think of right off that I would do if I needed one for sleep (my ex husband uses one, I know what you're dealing with) is that I would see about wearing a sleep cap and then fitting the mask straps over that. I don't think that would interfere with the face seal. It may be as simple as tying on a silk scarf before putting on the mask.

I hope you get something that works for you. CPAP can definitely be tricky. Good luck! :)

I agree! ^^ A silk bonnet / sleep cap would be your best bet, I think!

Hope that works for you.