PDA

View Full Version : Is my hair too dark for henna? (Picture heavy)

SwanFeathers
March 30th, 2019, 05:46 PM
I'm thinking about using henna on my hair, but I'm worried my hair is too dark to give an orangy-red (i dont want burgundy). I plan to strand test as soon as my sample henna arrives, but I would love to get your opinions. virgin haircolor photos below.
My hair indoors without sunlight.
https://i.postimg.cc/ydLZjjGm/20190329-160110-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hz7vPLcv)
My hair indoor in sunlight.
https://i.postimg.cc/yN1q4tc9/jan2019.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xX4pLssT)
My hair indoors overcast sunlight
https://i.postimg.cc/7LFWPRTm/march-natural-light-overcast.jpg (https://postimg.cc/7CNVmm92)

My hair outdoors indirect sunlight
https://i.postimg.cc/G37jZ1N7/20181115-160832.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
Do you think it's too dark to bother?

lapushka
March 30th, 2019, 05:50 PM
My hair is darker ash up top and I got a copper shade with Jamila back in the day.

I think copper should work out (but strand test first!) but after one application, I would only do root-applications to top up, because that shade that you get the first time will darken when you apply more henna on top.

milosmomma
March 30th, 2019, 06:21 PM
I don't think is too dark at all, it will probably be a deep tone and definitely strand test before anything because a burgundy is very possible. I also wanted to say I adore your color right now too :)

blvnkness
March 30th, 2019, 06:29 PM
I'd love to see the resulting color when you do test it out! I've been curious about henna dyes for some time now. I don't have any plans on using it myself (maybe one day), but I find orange/red/copper shades to be beautiful! Especially in the sunlight!

Shigure
March 30th, 2019, 11:17 PM
You're natural hair color is similar to mine so I can tell you for sure that you whant get bright orange/red beacause henna don't lighten your natural hair.
It only gives impression that your hair is lighter with light - preferably strong and warm.

You can see change in my album. Last two photos are after henna.
If you want more I can send you photos in PM sinse other I own include my face.

bunneh.
March 31st, 2019, 04:13 AM
I don't think it's too dark, but like others have mentioned before me it could go burgundy quite easily. Another option to try would be a henna gloss, I think it would bring reddish tones out of your hair beautifully. Always test the different mixtures on shed hair first so that you don't end up with something you don't like on your hair. And remember that henna is permanent.

lapushka
March 31st, 2019, 05:11 AM
I don't think it's too dark, but like others have mentioned before me it could go burgundy quite easily. Another option to try would be a henna gloss, I think it would bring reddish tones out of your hair beautifully. Always test the different mixtures on shed hair first so that you don't end up with something you don't like on your hair. And remember that henna is permanent.

Oh so true! ^^

Hatsumomo
March 31st, 2019, 06:26 AM
Not at all :) Mine is possibly darker than yours, if not a similar colour. I used Yemeni henna and believe me, it showed lol. Two years later, I still had a solid top half brown, bottom half henna'd line!

SwanFeathers
March 31st, 2019, 09:21 AM
You're natural hair color is similar to mine so I can tell you for sure that you whant get bright orange/red beacause henna don't lighten your natural hair.
It only gives impression that your hair is lighter with light - preferably strong and warm.

You can see change in my album. Last two photos are after henna.
If you want more I can send you photos in PM sinse other I own include my face.

I know it wont be bright orange, i just mean I want more orange than purple. Your color is so beautiful.

CopperButterfly
March 31st, 2019, 09:51 AM
My sister's natural color is close to yours. She gets a nice warm auburn red color. Definitely not burgundy, and it looks really natural. I don't think you'll get burgundy with just one application.

littlestarface
March 31st, 2019, 09:56 AM
Maybe try a mix of henna/cassia that way it stays pretty light and doesn't go into burgundy territory too fast.

SwanFeathers
April 1st, 2019, 07:31 AM
Maybe try a mix of henna/cassia that way it stays pretty light and doesn't go into burgundy territory too fast.

I've ordered a sample of Nightblooming's fire genasi, which is a blend. Here's hopeing the strand test goes well!

ynne
April 1st, 2019, 01:58 PM
My natural colour is darker and the pure henna (so copper) I tried before took several applications to really show. But in the end, it did. I think it will work great! :)

maborosi
April 1st, 2019, 02:12 PM
I've ordered a sample of Nightblooming's fire genasi, which is a blend. Here's hopeing the strand test goes well!

Fire Genasi is a gorgeous color, I think it'll look really great on you! Just treat henna as permanent and once you reach the color you want, to maintain with roots-only touchups.

MotherofJames
April 1st, 2019, 06:40 PM
Oh gosh. I do think you will get a red orangish tint, definitely because you have golden lighter hues in there now. And remember, each henna application can change color as you go keep adding more layers with time. But can I just mention something. You have the hair that a lot of us here want. Perfect brown virgin hair with beautiful highlights. I wish I could have that again but I went gray a very long time ago and it’s alot. Your hair is perfect. The color. The thickness. The highlights. The hemline. I mean, wow!!! Once you get to your goal, as I see in your siggy that you knee, your hair will be exactly like Haartraums :-) You will be the envy of the town :heartbeat:blossom::applause:love::cloud9::waving:

SwanFeathers
April 1st, 2019, 07:55 PM
Oh gosh. I do think you will get a red orangish tint, definitely because you have golden lighter hues in there now. And remember, each henna application can change color as you go keep adding more layers with time. But can I just mention something. You have the hair that a lot of us here want. Perfect brown virgin hair with beautiful highlights. I wish I could have that again but I went gray a very long time ago and it’s alot. Your hair is perfect. The color. The thickness. The highlights. The hemline. I mean, wow!!! Once you get to your goal, as I see in your siggy that you knee, your hair will be exactly like Haartraums :-) You will be the envy of the town :heartbeat:blossom::applause:love::cloud9::waving:

Oh gosh, I don't know what to say. Thank you? I've been trying to take care of it, living with the color was just part of that.

MotherofJames
April 1st, 2019, 08:06 PM
Oh gosh, I don't know what to say. Thank you? I've been trying to take care of it, living with the color was just part of that.

Henna will make it a beautiful color, for sure. And your hair is definitely not too dark for it. I can understand why you want Henna, especially if you want a color change if your bored, or all the natural goodness that comes with it. My opinion means nothing because at the end of the day, it’s your Happiness that comes first :-) and that means , your hair, your way. Henna is permanent, however. I think your idea of strand test is perfect. I hope you get the hair of your dreams :) but your hair right now, is the hair of my dreams haha :) Stunning! Ain’t life funny :puppykisses::heartbeat:flowers::cloud9: best of luck to you <3

Kat
April 1st, 2019, 09:06 PM
My hair tone is similar to yours, but darker (my hair was your color years ago but it keeps darkening). I henna mine and it's dark-copper/red colored, especially in the sun/natural light. You might get burgundy with repeated applications, but that's it.

I think that like mine, you have a bit of a risk of the henna seeming cooler-toned in those lights where your natural color seems cooler-toned, but I don't think there's any way to avoid that-- I imagine if you start with a cool-toned base (even if only in certain lights), you might be more likely to get a cool-toned result. (And then in some lights, you can hardly tell there is any red in my hair at all.)

I added a couple pictures for you in my album; most are of my natural color (albeit several years ago so it may be darker now), and a couple post henna. The one of just the hair is actually after only a henna gloss or two, with flash. The one that shows my head and shoulders is from maybe three years ago; you can see what henna on my hair looks like in the sun.

SwanFeathers
April 2nd, 2019, 07:38 AM
Henna will make it a beautiful color, for sure. And your hair is definitely not too dark for it. I can understand why you want Henna, especially if you want a color change if your bored, or all the natural goodness that comes with it. My opinion means nothing because at the end of the day, it’s your Happiness that comes first :-) and that means , your hair, your way. Henna is permanent, however. I think your idea of strand test is perfect. I hope you get the hair of your dreams :) but your hair right now, is the hair of my dreams haha :) Stunning! Ain’t life funny :puppykisses::heartbeat:flowers::cloud9: best of luck to you <3
Im sorry, i didnt mean to imply that I don't appreciate the compliment, I'm just bad at it. I mean, why be on LHC if not for feedback?

Shigure
April 2nd, 2019, 09:54 AM
I will say something else.
Like I've said my colour was similar to SwanFeathers and I liked it.
But I damaged my hair due to being stupid. I reached for henna to save my hair.
But something surprising came out of it. All my life I looked sick/dead. Very pale. After colour change, It turned out I started looking healthy and not pale at all. My natural hair colour was way to cool to suit my complexion. So I won't be back to it any time soon. I just look better now.

Kat
April 2nd, 2019, 07:40 PM
I will say something else.
Like I've said my colour was similar to SwanFeathers and I liked it.
But I damaged my hair due to being stupid. I reached for henna to save my hair.
But something surprising came out of it. All my life I looked sick/dead. Very pale. After colour change, It turned out I started looking healthy and not pale at all. My natural hair colour was way to cool to suit my complexion. So I won't be back to it any time soon. I just look better now.

I noticed this after my last root touch-up. I'm bad about doing my roots, so I had about 6" at least. Did my henna. Looked in the mirror. Wow, my face looked so much more warm and alive! And I really do look better in lights where the warm tones come out in my hair rather than the cool. (Someone here once argued to me that "well if your hair has cool tones they must suit you" but the difference after hennaing my roots was night and day. My face and eyes almost seemed to glow in comparison.)

LadyCelestina
April 3rd, 2019, 12:34 AM
I noticed this after my last root touch-up. I'm bad about doing my roots, so I had about 6" at least. Did my henna. Looked in the mirror. Wow, my face looked so much more warm and alive! And I really do look better in lights where the warm tones come out in my hair rather than the cool. (Someone here once argued to me that "well if your hair has cool tones they must suit you" but the difference after hennaing my roots was night and day. My face and eyes almost seemed to glow in comparison.)

In a way that's true, but hair is a really poor measure of warm/cool tones in a person, since completely ashy/cool toned hair (save for grey) is rare. Or completely warm-toned from the roots.

For example I'm a neutral-cool leaning person and my hair seems very warm toned. I read somewhere that most neutrals (ie. most people) have a mix of warmer/cooler looking features, and that most warm people don't look particularly warm toned to the eye.

Kat
April 6th, 2019, 04:24 PM
In a way that's true, but hair is a really poor measure of warm/cool tones in a person, since completely ashy/cool toned hair (save for grey) is rare. Or completely warm-toned from the roots.

For example I'm a neutral-cool leaning person and my hair seems very warm toned. I read somewhere that most neutrals (ie. most people) have a mix of warmer/cooler looking features, and that most warm people don't look particularly warm toned to the eye.

I definitely don't "look" warm-toned-- it's hard to do when you're pale and a lot of people assume you have to have an olive skin tone to be a warm-- but you can definitely see the difference when I wear warm and cool toned colors. I don't look bad in cool tones, just different, but warm tones tend to "jive" a lot more.

LadyCelestina
April 7th, 2019, 02:39 AM
I definitely don't "look" warm-toned-- it's hard to do when you're pale and a lot of people assume you have to have an olive skin tone to be a warm-- but you can definitely see the difference when I wear warm and cool toned colors. I don't look bad in cool tones, just different, but warm tones tend to "jive" a lot more.

Yup :thumbsup:

I really don't like the approach where they look at your skin/hair/eyes and try to determine your coloring based on that, especially if accompanied by pictures of celebrities whose coloring you should relate to (except most of them have dyed hair, fake tan, makeup, even contacts!!, and look completely different once you strip all that off).

Most white people are sort of medium-coloured anyway, and obviously it's also flawed for non-white people.

What counts is what colours look good on you :p