PDA

View Full Version : Hair Journal Discussion

CampFireTiger
March 30th, 2019, 10:27 AM
For anyone who doesn't have a routine that's working for them and is here still trying to find one like me, are you using a hair journal to figure it out? I know I'm not supposed to use a new product more than once a month, but I've been recording that and other things like hairstyles that work at my length and stay up, what I do on some days that I know is probably damaging it, texture of hair, how often I deep condition and with what, and how many and where my split ends are. It may sound like a lot but I only write for a few minutes once a week or so.

If you have/had a hair journal, what do/did you record, how often, and what did you find helpful about it?

Ylva
March 30th, 2019, 11:56 AM
I keep a hair wash (including leave-ins and pre-wash treatments) journal here in my LHC blog. I log what products I used and how long I kept them in (approximately), and I try to make some notes about how I used them as well, and any other related thoughts. It helps me keep track of when I last washed all of my hair as I can be rather absent-minded at times, as well as how many washes a product lasts.

ynne
March 30th, 2019, 02:05 PM
I started a hair journal of sorts around the time I joined LHC. :) Since I've never known much about my hair or how to look after it, I have a lot to learn & figure out.

Generally speaking, whenever I'm learning about something hair related, searching the LHC forums etc., I write down suggestions for my routine, recommended products, other people's routines if their hair is similar to mine + hairstyles to learn (even if I can't do most of them yet!). I also take notes from good articles/tutorials (or save the links if it's visual), and I am taking short notes from Curly Girl book.
Most of it is useful, relevant information, and not just fun facts (though I have some favourites among those as well, like that bobby pins were, as opposed to what many youtubers say, meant to be worn with the wavy side up, because that's what the illustration with their patent says, so while the reversed way of wearing them is fun, it doesn't mean it was "wrong" before! *ahem*). It's all in one place and much easier to reference than searching through all the sources again.

Separatedly, I wrote down the last 3 times I washed my hair (how + with what + the result) and any extra treatment in-between (i.e. how often I needed to condition the ends). I usually wash my hair +- weekly so it's easy to note down as I wait for my hair to air dry (I'd forget later!).

I am hoping that after a few months, I will be able to tell what did and didn't work and that this will prevent me from repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

It's nice to see someone else is trying the same approach. :)

Begemot
March 30th, 2019, 02:05 PM
I do the same as Ylva :) I feel it helps if I need to troubleshoot. I can track down what products I have used, how much, how, when etc., how long I have been doing certain hair care routine to see if it benefits my hair in the long-run, how long products last for me and so on. I tend to forget clarifying and deep treatments so logging them is a good way to establish routine.

lapushka
March 30th, 2019, 02:34 PM
For anyone who doesn't have a routine that's working for them and is here still trying to find one like me, are you using a hair journal to figure it out? I know I'm not supposed to use a new product more than once a month, but I've been recording that and other things like hairstyles that work at my length and stay up, what I do on some days that I know is probably damaging it, texture of hair, how often I deep condition and with what, and how many and where my split ends are. It may sound like a lot but I only write for a few minutes once a week or so.

If you have/had a hair journal, what do/did you record, how often, and what did you find helpful about it?

I have used the blog function on this forum for exactly this, keeping track of wash day, and the products I use, amount of hair loss, etc.

It's a great way to keep track of things.

If you get enough posts, you'll be able to use it soon!

CampFireTiger
March 30th, 2019, 08:31 PM
I'm hoping to have a good routine figured out by the end of the year or so. Getting really scientific with things seems to be the quickest route, because as is I can't remember if I liked Herbal Essences or VO5 even though I used them both a couple years ago. Happy journaling!

Nineteenbirds
March 30th, 2019, 10:10 PM
I started keeping a hair journal last spring when I started experimenting with shampoo bars and vinegar rinses. Since there are so many variables, and since I wash my hair much less often now (every 7-10 days), and since I have a lousy memory for dates and details, it's been a great help in remembering what's worked and what hasn't. As long as I remember to get it out and write in it now and then!