PDA

View Full Version : Bun Leaning! Do you?

Tinyponies
March 27th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Do you lean on your bun, while sitting up in bed? While hanging out on the sofa? While travelling in the car?

Do you lean but protect it with something?

Do you avoid the bun lean altogether?

I just got a stubby 4 tine Jeter fork and it’s the comfiest hair toy yet. I’ve noticed myself leaning more, because it just doesn’t feel pully or uncomfortable in any way. I’ve *usually* got it covered with a headscarf but not all the time. I wonder also if the scarf is giving me some false feeling of safety!

What do you think?

Begemot
March 27th, 2019, 01:47 PM
I avoid it altogether. I'll rather let my hair down or lean so that bun/ponytail isn't between my head and whatever surface I'm leaning on. It just doesn't feel good/comfortable for me. My bun isn't even big and I don't use sharp/big hair toys.

Tinyponies
March 27th, 2019, 01:52 PM
I avoid it altogether. I'll rather let my hair down or lean so that bun/ponytail isn't between my head and whatever surface I'm leaning on. It just doesn't feel good/comfortable for me. My bun isn't even big and I don't use sharp/big hair toys.

Aha! Maybe that’s it: I’ve not been taking my bun down so early in the evening (no scalp ache whatsoever) so getting tired but with hair still up.

And I agree, there’s something about it that’s an instinctive *hmmm*

Begemot
March 27th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Aha! Maybe that’s it: I’ve not been taking my bun down so early in the evening (no scalp ache whatsoever) so getting tired but with hair still up.

And I agree, there’s something about it that’s an instinctive *hmmm*

It just feels wrong :lol:

spidermom
March 27th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I don't like the feeling of a bump on my head, so no - I don't lean or lay on it.

AmaryllisRed
March 27th, 2019, 02:24 PM
Not usually. If I can avoid it, I do, either by leaning at a different angle or taking my hair down if I'm going to nap or something.

gingerninja
March 27th, 2019, 02:24 PM
I rarely sit or lay down, but when i do i'm always bun leaning as i barely notice it being there due to the stick taking away any tension.

Ligeia Noire
March 27th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Yes i do that a lot. Specially in bed to read when my pillow is not enough and i dont want to grab another. Also on airplane seats because i don't use neck pillows... i have a jeter too and i can relate to the confiness.

Groovy Granny
March 27th, 2019, 02:34 PM
No leaning here.

It either causes scalp pain or comes undone :p

lapushka
March 27th, 2019, 02:50 PM
When I travel as a passenger in the car with my mom, I sometimes sit and then my bun touches the head rest, I immediately (my immediate reaction) scooch back a bit so that it doesn't touch. I do not want to mess up my bun or end up sticking my fork in the head rest; that's the only reason. LOL!

HaMalka
March 27th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Leaning on my bun right now. I regularly lean on my bun. I usually make sure the surface is clean or I'm wearing a headscarf but If I'm tired enough I don't care.

enting
March 27th, 2019, 03:53 PM
I do, but I try not to unless my bun is covered with something. I'm really not the best about it, though.

lithostoic
March 27th, 2019, 03:55 PM
I avoid it, it hurts my neck.

eresh
March 27th, 2019, 04:17 PM
I avoid it when in a moving car as it rubs.
But when I'm in my comfy chair watching tv, I lean.
In bed I don't have a bun just a braid.

Tinyponies
March 27th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Thank you all for answering :)

Great to hear all these variations, you know it’s little details like this that I keep on picking up around here, little day to day life things that get mentioned in passing that’ll set me up to grow my hair long and save so much trouble (or not, in this case).

I’m glad you are all here to ask and to learn from.

MusicalSpoons
March 27th, 2019, 05:26 PM
I do, usually if it's a 'safe' material (or I put a satin scarf over my bun or the surface) or if I'm not going to be moving. The best is when the bun is in exactly the right position to use as a pillow when laying flat on my bed; it's the perfect height and forces me to rest completely - no moving around to make absolutely sure I don't damage the hair :grin:

It does often loosen the bun if I'm properly leaning on it, but at home that doesn't matter. I try not to in the car when leaving home for that reason, but if returning then it still doesn't matter :)

meteor
March 27th, 2019, 07:51 PM
I lean on it, too, I just try to make sure the surface is clean and smooth enough. I just can't do it in cars, because neck support in cars sticks out forward too much and causes neck pain. If I lie down on my back, e.g. for pilates or yoga, the bun totally works like a comfy pillow for my head, since it's big enough for comfy support.

Gem
March 28th, 2019, 12:49 AM
Worse - when I was in basic training lo these many years ago (fifteen years!), I used my bun to covertly rest my neck during poorly designed "Pilates inspired" exercises. On cement :lol:

But yes, I don't mind leaning on my bun as long as it's comfortable and the material isn't going to catch and damage it.

enting
March 28th, 2019, 12:59 AM
I lean on it, too, I just try to make sure the surface is clean and smooth enough. I just can't do it in cars, because neck support in cars sticks out forward too much and causes neck pain. If I lie down on my back, e.g. for pilates or yoga, the bun totally works like a comfy pillow for my head, since it's big enough for comfy support.

I agree, I can't do it in cars. If I know I'm going to be in a car/bus/vehicle for a while I try to bun very high up or keep it down in a braid. I also only really lean on buns if the bun is a wide and flat one.

Haven
March 28th, 2019, 12:24 PM
Only on a soft surface! I don't mind how it feels against my pillow, for example, but it feels bad against the back of a chair.
I think it's good at encouraging me to sit up straight :p

Reyn127
March 28th, 2019, 01:18 PM
I try to never lean on my bun, like a few others it irritates my neck. Especially in the car - I have my seat leaned way back so I can sit upright without my head being pushed forward. I end up not sitting against the back of the seat, but my neck really needs the space.

While sleeping/laying down I tend to move my bun to the top of my head so it’s never affecting the position of my head. Or I’ll put in a low braid. It’s not so much about my hair rubbing things, as it is about the comfort of my neck.

Tinyponies
March 28th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Reyn127 good tip with the car seat :) and the reminder to watch posture too.

PS I really hope my hair grows up to be like yours.

Reyn127
March 28th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Aw, thank you Tinyponies :) Our hair does look pretty similar, doesn’t it? I bet your hair will look pretty dang close in a few years, you can do it! It took me a little over 3 years to grow from BSL to TBL, including a few inches getting trimmed off, to give you an idea.

Kat
March 28th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Not usually. Unless the bun is perfectly centered on the back of my head-- not usually where I tend to place it-- then my head feels wobbly and off-center, same as if you went to bed and put your head on only a corner of the pillow. It doesn't feel like "leaning" but like I have to actively keep my head from pitching over instead of resting on the bun.

It also depends on what I'm leaning on. I can't drive with my hair in a bun, because the bun against the headrest pushes my head forward at an unnatural position-- and this is in the days when cars had straight-vertical headrests, never mind the ones these days that already tilt forward. So if what I'm leaning against isn't at least straight vertical or with a backward tilt, my neck can't take it. (If I want to wear a bun that day, I'll take hairpins/sticks and do it when I get there.)

And besides, usually if my head is leaning against the bun, the pins or hairsticks are then digging into my head.

spidergoat
March 28th, 2019, 09:16 PM
I don't usually lean on my buns, mainly because it makes my neck feel weird, but I also worry about breaking my hair toys. Oddly enough, I think in the car would be the place I'd be most likely to lean.

Hatsumomo
March 29th, 2019, 05:00 AM
I have to at this point unfortunately as if it's on the top of my head, it hits my headboard and if it's a low bun, it hits the seat unless I bend forward a bit. My neck isn't too happy as of late lol.