PDA

View Full Version : What length do you think is the most aesthetical?

longmane
March 26th, 2019, 01:49 PM
To explain it a little more, what length do you think is longest and beautiful and anything after that you think it starts looking "weighted down'' or too much for you? What length do you think suits your silhoutte the most?

Personally I like the way I look with mid-back length.

Begemot
March 26th, 2019, 01:59 PM
The longest I've been is hip length or close to TBL so I don't know if longer would please my eye (back then I cut back because I couldn't deal such long and heavy hair anymore, not because I wouldn't have liked how it looked). I do like everything from MBL to hip on myself. Guess I don't think much about different lengths suiting my figure. Recently I have come to realize I really like classic on other people!

Stardreamer
March 26th, 2019, 02:10 PM
The longest I've had is MBL and that feels like aeons ago ~ I think on myself, hip length would be the most aesthetical. I might drown in my hair if it was longer.

ArabellaRose
March 26th, 2019, 02:21 PM
I envisage anywhere between TBL and Classic will be best on me, I'm currently below hip and really enjoying my length but it's still not long enough.

SurprisingWoman
March 26th, 2019, 02:55 PM
This might not fit your question but there was a discussion YEARS ago about the Golden Ratio and how it fit into where the most pleasing lines would be in determining hair length.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Ylva
March 26th, 2019, 03:01 PM
I think TBL looks best and most balanced on me.

Cg
March 26th, 2019, 03:05 PM
On me, the longer the better: covers more.

Chromis
March 26th, 2019, 03:08 PM
I have yet to find a length on myself that looks "too long".

gustavonut
March 26th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Anything past BSL :)

AmaryllisRed
March 26th, 2019, 04:40 PM
I actually think my length right now does no favors to my figure. But once all my hair is all classic length or longer I think it will be more flattering. Probably waist length is the most flattering length on me since it would draw the eye to my narrowest part.
I believe my golden ratio numbers were waist and just past classic, so that would make sense. I don't remember exactly, though.
All moot anyway since it's always up. :)

Corvana
March 26th, 2019, 05:07 PM
I don't actually know! Haven't been further than where I am now before, so I don't have enough data :laugh:

lapushka
March 26th, 2019, 05:28 PM
I'll get back to you after I reach knee. ;) I used to think that after classic; that that was my cut-off point on several "issues", comfort, esthetics, etc. Now that I'm FTL+, I have changed my mind.

MusicalSpoons
March 26th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Honestly I think TBL for me (on myself). Considering I'm at knee and still growing though, you can tell how much I care about the aesthetics of it :p

littlestarface
March 26th, 2019, 05:47 PM
My golden ratio was like TB I think and yes thats where it stops being thick and starts thinning so it looks better. For myself I think classic length looks best on me, not too long not too short.

TreesOfEternity
March 26th, 2019, 05:50 PM
For myself maybe classic, I’m quite petite. But I’ll get to you once I reach longer lengths haha. On others, whatever, the longer the better :heartbeat

Ligeia Noire
March 26th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Classic is probably my favourite length on anyone. Pretty balanced. Even though on me, waist or something shorter would favour my figure more.. I am pretty petite and my hair is voluminous so, I probably look like a gnome from hell but I enjoy it a lot and I do think my hair looks its best up anyway. So I will keep growing down to the floor. But i definetly think classic is a perfect length for most body proportions.

longmane
March 26th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Probably waist length is the most flattering length on me since it would draw the eye to my narrowest part.
I believe my golden ratio numbers were waist and just past classic, so that would make sense.

Comment deleted

LongCurlyTress
March 26th, 2019, 06:00 PM
I think any length that covers my back is nice on me, but only in a half up bun- like in my avatar. This way my hair isn't so thick and bushy due to the half up bun, and also it covers my back and feels very feminine. I still miss my TBL but was happiest at hip length when left curly due to the weight of my hair at TBL.

Felix_D
March 26th, 2019, 06:38 PM
I have always admired hair that comes to a gradual tapered tip with the very end at the waist or just below.

The taper of the hair follows the taper of the waist and I think it is so beautiful.

lunalocks
March 26th, 2019, 06:48 PM
For me, FTL. I think that length is magical and will (someday) cut back to and maintain there.

Crystawni
March 26th, 2019, 10:51 PM
For me, it's not just about what my hair looks like from behind and static--it's the entire look in all kinds of conditions. I think any longer length works well for me as long as it shapes from face-framers down to the tips in a whimsical way, while evoking a sense of balance. My hair is prone to be feathery, so I enhance that with layers and shaping instead of fighting it, which also includes how I soften my updos with face-framers floating around the place. All in all, it's length + shape for me, not length alone. I could go for floor+ and still have a style that looks pleasing to me (I hope). It would just take a bit of tweaking as I go.

LadyCelestina
March 27th, 2019, 12:27 AM
I have quite a few awkward lengths on myself, due to having curly hair. For non-awkward lengths, I really like long BSL-almost waist. Waist solid is sort of awkward for me, so the next non-awkward length would likely be hip :p

On others, I like hair from about WL+ to TBL or classic best. I haven't seen anyone with longer than classic length hair IRL yet :)

But overall, it's not so much the hair length I admire... I admire how well people style it (buns, braids...) and how it fits their overall aesthetic :)

Katsura
March 27th, 2019, 01:14 AM
I don't know, I don't have a preference in lenght.

LittleHealthy
March 27th, 2019, 01:43 AM
This might not fit your question but there was a discussion YEARS ago about the Golden Ratio and how it fit into where the most pleasing lines would be in determining hair length.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

This is super cool - I worked out my golden ratio and then what that measurement would need to be, measuring from my hairline along my forehead - 90cms is what that would need to be. Or 35”. This would be a few inches past waist. Aesthetically I feel that would look nice on me, I’m extremely tall so I hope that once my hair grows past waist it might help me look more proportional!
But aesthetics aside, I really want to aim for 100cm of hair (measured from my forehead).

Aeonian
March 27th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I think any length that covers my back is nice on me, but only in a half up bun- like in my avatar. This way my hair isn't so thick and bushy due to the half up bun, and also it covers my back and feels very feminine. I still miss my TBL but was happiest at hip length when left curly due to the weight of my hair at TBL.

I agree with you, fellow curly. I also wear my hair in a half bun, a full bun looks to harsh...I really need some hair flowing in the back. Not that I have a lot to flow at the momen..ahem. But also because my hair is too thick do to a full bun. I think around midback or waist would look nice, I don't want to be swamped by my hair, as long as my ends will be nice and thick.

lapushka
March 27th, 2019, 10:08 AM
I have always admired hair that comes to a gradual tapered tip with the very end at the waist or just below.

The taper of the hair follows the taper of the waist and I think it is so beautiful.

I like it too, except with iii hair, you can't even start to do a decent bun at that length! Which is a bummer. I did like waist, but hated the fact that buns were sooo close within reach that I couldn't stand it. Hip was a nice comfy bun for me, which is why I will always love that length on me.

FTL is pretty special too. ;)

Deborah
March 27th, 2019, 11:50 AM
I like waist length best.

Natalia_A00
March 27th, 2019, 12:18 PM
For me personally, it's tailbone length. Very long, beautiful and classy

LongCurlyTress
March 27th, 2019, 12:57 PM
I agree with you, fellow curly. I also wear my hair in a half bun, a full bun looks to harsh...I really need some hair flowing in the back. Not that I have a lot to flow at the momen..ahem. But also because my hair is too thick do to a full bun. I think around midback or waist would look nice, I don't want to be swamped by my hair, as long as my ends will be nice and thick.

I completely agree! Right now, my just past shoulder hair length does not have enough weight to stay down, even in a half up... it just springs up and out... :( and I wont cut layers into it again... so... just gotta wait it out and put it up and forgetabout it. :) Aeonian, are you still at shoulder length like your profile/avatar says? That is where I am now... 1/2 inch a month... seems to be taking forever....:(

MoonRabbit
March 27th, 2019, 02:56 PM
I would say Mbl looks best on me. Right now my hair just looks 'meh' and I think it will continue to look that way as I keep growing. Maybe once I get those bangs I have been thinking about for a year my perception will change.

Groovy Granny
March 27th, 2019, 03:20 PM
I prefer my back to be covered but I also need a length that buns can be made easily; my torso is short and shrinking so I have less length for the landmarks.

WL to Hip is my sweet spot; anything longer is hard to style/care for with my arthritis, and not as comfy.

lithostoic
March 27th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Idk, this is the longest my hair has ever been.

lapushka
March 27th, 2019, 04:49 PM

Yeah, I still can't believe how long your hair has gotten. I still remember when you just got here! :)

Lizabeth94
March 27th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Anything between waist and tbl. Preferably with layers in the last 6 inches or so. This is coming from my preference on other people, I haven't had waist length hair since I was a little kid. :scissors::wail:

cjk
March 27th, 2019, 06:16 PM
Usually whatever I have, but 1/4" more or less. I'm never the "right" length.

Stardreamer
March 27th, 2019, 07:09 PM

Can I see before and after growth pics?

Dark40
March 28th, 2019, 09:39 AM
I would say Classic Length looks best on me. Anything longer i think it would look too weighed-down on me. Now, I did say that I will grow to terminal which I don't know where that is but we'll see.

blackgothicdoll
March 28th, 2019, 10:00 AM
BSL maybe? I dunno. I've worn extensions down to maybe waist and those looked good, any longer than that just looked silly but extensions don't ever look like my real hair. I can't find any pics with my hair longer than it is now, so it might just be the longest. So I guess I'll be finding out. ^_^'

Stray_mind
March 28th, 2019, 10:18 AM
I have never had hair Longer than hip, but i think TBL will look best on me.

Aeonian
March 28th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Aeonian, are you still at shoulder length like your profile/avatar says? That is where I am now... 1/2 inch a month... seems to be taking forever....:(

Yeah, sort of. It's difficult to explain, I think I'm a bit past shoulder length now but by my hair is so curly/wurly/bouncy that you wouldn't say I'm past shoulders. I don't really see growth but I know it's out there :) Like you said, our hair needs weight to behave. This length is the most awkward I have experienced so far, it's even worse than my pixie growing out. I hope we'll get through this quickly without much damage. Until then, I will wear it up in a half bun.

CampFireTiger
March 28th, 2019, 12:39 PM
I would say right past waist length but before tailbone length. It gives that long powerful look while still allowing me to show off my hips, which are the only curvy part of my body haha.

TatsuOni
March 28th, 2019, 12:49 PM
The longer the better :p I'm at FTL now and I think that it looks better the longer it's gotten. But it might be just because I really like and really, really want super long hair :p

sophia_
March 28th, 2019, 05:08 PM
I've always wanted calf-length hair, that's when it gets ~super impressive~ looking, in my opinion. Botticelli's Birth of Venus has I guess been my subconscious inspiration for my own aesthetic, lol.

CopperButterfly
March 29th, 2019, 10:46 PM
I really love the look of classic on others. It's really my favorite length for looks. Don't know if I'll go that long myself though. Not sure if it will be too annoying. I've got a few years to get there though, so we'll see where I end up stopping.

Gothic
March 30th, 2019, 01:27 AM
On me waist or hip, because I'm on the shorter side. I like the look of classic and thigh on others tho.

ravenheather
March 30th, 2019, 09:27 AM
Tailbone to classic on others. Hope to find out in myself.

The-Young-Maid
March 30th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Waist or classic, of course right now I'm between them *sigh*

Knightly
March 30th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Mid thigh on others, reminds me of old paintings, it's so ethereal!

Luna Starsetta
April 1st, 2019, 10:44 PM
I'm courious what is my golden length and how would I figure that out? And I have no idea what length would be most faltering to me. I just always picked what I liked on others. So this never actually occurred to me! Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Aerya
April 2nd, 2019, 01:49 AM
I'm courious what is my golden length and how would I figure that out? And I have no idea what length would be most faltering to me. I just always picked what I liked on others. So this never actually occurred to me! Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

There was a thread explaining it a while ago, I googled and found this: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18358&page=7 Although keep in mind the Golden ratio measures with your height, while here it's common to measure the length of the hair from the hairline, so you need to take that into consideration. I think there was another thread too talking about 1/3 or 2/3 of your height, that your hair hitting at either of those points would be most aesthetical, which would be around waist and fingertip on most people. :)

I really love FTL on others but on myself I'll just have to find out. My goal is FTL for now but that's just barely past classic on me. :P

Luna Starsetta
April 2nd, 2019, 09:47 PM
There was a thread explaining it a while ago, I googled and found this: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18358&page=7 Although keep in mind the Golden ratio measures with your height, while here it's common to measure the length of the hair from the hairline, so you need to take that into consideration. I think there was another thread too talking about 1/3 or 2/3 of your height, that your hair hitting at either of those points would be most aesthetical, which would be around waist and fingertip on most people. :)

I really love FTL on others but on myself I'll just have to find out. My goal is FTL for now but that's just barely past classic on me. :P

Hmmm I am 62" so I think it would be fingertip on me since I'm no fan if short...lol

Danglish
April 4th, 2019, 02:12 AM

Same, this is actually my goal

LongCurlyTress
April 9th, 2019, 12:58 PM
Yeah, sort of. It's difficult to explain, I think I'm a bit past shoulder length now but by my hair is so curly/wurly/bouncy that you wouldn't say I'm past shoulders. I don't really see growth but I know it's out there :) Like you said, our hair needs weight to behave. This length is the most awkward I have experienced so far, it's even worse than my pixie growing out. I hope we'll get through this quickly without much damage. Until then, I will wear it up in a half bun.

How do you keep the lower part down? Do you use a squishy at the bottom and do a low ponytail at the tip? That is my dilemma... what to do with the awkward length that springs out to the sides? :(

dove4
April 13th, 2019, 03:05 PM
I think hip length, with a slight v hem, is my favorite length in general. By that, I mean falling to the middle of the hips, more or less.

GrowinIt
April 13th, 2019, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure yet, probably somewhere between waist and hip. I'll have to see when I get there =).

zmirina
April 14th, 2019, 09:22 PM
Between waist and tailbone is probably best

mermaid lullaby
April 14th, 2019, 09:27 PM
I'm favoring between waist and shoulder recently.
It just looks the best, I think.

zmirina
April 14th, 2019, 10:02 PM
I'm favoring between waist and shoulder recently.
It just looks the best, I think.

it's definitely the easiest to maintain. in addition to being the most common lengths too

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Calf length is beautiful.

yl
June 29th, 2019, 01:10 AM
I would love to have tbl it looks so pretty no matter the texture :cheer:

S&S
June 29th, 2019, 02:35 AM
I love seeing sleek straight hair with a straight cut sitting at the waist or hip :crush::crush::crush:

AmberWillow
June 30th, 2019, 04:45 PM
I would say tailbone length... I'm so in love with the hair on an Instagram page called northern_soul ♡

leafygreens18
June 30th, 2019, 08:46 PM
I love seeing sleek straight hair with a straight cut sitting at the waist or hip :crush::crush::crush:

Agreed! I always think sleek straight hair at the waist look super nice. Especially if its cut super bluntly in a straight line so its thick all the way to the bottom!

Hasse
June 30th, 2019, 08:59 PM
I think (but haven't seen it in real life yet) I find hip the prettiest. Will have to find out if I find longer attractive too.

Shepherdess
June 30th, 2019, 09:41 PM
My current length. I think my hair looks better with fairytale ends than blunt. The tips touch the back of my knees, although it still curls up to thigh.i feel like the longer it gets the better it looks for me! :D

Astrid Carlisle
July 1st, 2019, 06:38 AM
I would say tailbone length... I'm so in love with the hair on an Instagram page called northern_soul ♡

are you sure that's the correct username? it shows me some man's profile