PDA

View Full Version : How much shred hair is normal?

Simpscone
March 25th, 2019, 10:35 AM
Just wondering how many shed hairs is normal to get on 100% healthy hair?

My hair has never been the level of health it could be (bleach, dyes, heat styling... oh my!) and I've always had quite a few shed hairs any time I brush/comb my hair. My hair now is the healthiest it has been for years, no split ends in sight. But still, even if I brush with my TT or my wide tooth comb I get around 5-10 shed hairs each time. Is this normal? The ends have been previously bleached.

I try to be very gentle, and start from the ends going up etc, but I realised I actually have no idea how many shed hairs someone with healthy hair has. Maybe my hair isn't as healthy as I thought?!

It's gotten worse since wearing my natural texture. If I stretch my washes 4-5 days, when I finally go to detangle my hair is so matted that I feel like loads of hairs are being "brushed" out. Is it better to use a wide toothed comb whilst my hair is wet instead? I figured with it being so matted by wash day, getting it wet would only make it worse...

Simpscone
March 25th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Shred or shed?? I've confused myself sorry guys haha!

blackgothicdoll
March 25th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Shed hair is something that begins from the inside, not the outside, as you would identify a shed hair by the little bulb at the tip. The average person sheds 100 hairs a day, so keep that in mind if you don't brush/wash your hair every day. Per day that you leave your hair alone, add 100. It may seem as if you shed a lot of hair.

Stretching washes as you say will definitely make it seem like more - 4-5 days could be between 400-500 hairs! Personally, I like to oil my hair before I wash and slide my hands through to remove shed hair, or even use a wooden brush if it's been a really long time :lol:. Then I apply conditioner to get the excess oil out, and slide the rest of the shed hairs out with my hands and then a tangle teezer once I'm under running water. After that I can safely follow by shampoo. If I just hop into the shower and wet my hair the shed hair will cause so many knots and tangles.

Oh and of course the things you put on your scalp influence your shedding, as they change the environment. So be careful if you are oiling your scalp and experience additional shedding, you may not like having oil on your scalp (many people have this problem).

milosmomma
March 25th, 2019, 11:37 AM
I have heard regular shedding is 50-100, but I think it varies person to person. I think my regular shed rate is 25-50. Everything you've said sounds completely normal to me.
I just got over a moderate shed from pregnancy. To keep track I would actually count the hairs before balling them up in my palms so I could guesstimate how many based on the size of the ball each day and not have to actually count everyday. For months I was losing 80-120 so that would be loads of counting and who has time for that? :lol: It's kind of gross thinking about it now but i was pretty worried i was going bald and wanted to make sure the shed was not getting worse and eventually it got better and is back to normal for me (25-50)