PDA

View Full Version : Hair Routines/Products/Methods?

FlowerDance
March 24th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Hello everyone! I just joined and I need some help/suggestions.

To start, my hair is currently below my shoulders and is quite healthy! Naturally, I would say it's a mixture of 2b and 2c. I rarely use heat on it and I currently have a small routine, but I'm looking to change it up a bit.

I use a shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner. I also use hair masks and oils.

•Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo
•Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Conditioner
•Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Leave-in Conditioner
•Jojoba/Coconut/Castor oils

I REALLY love the leave-in conditioner. I have tried a several different ones, but the Shea Moisture is definitely the best I've used. The conditioner is GOOD and I like the shampoo. It's one of the only shampoos that feels like it's not only cleaning my hair, but also moisturizing it and leaving it silky.
I condition everytime I need to shower, but I try to only shampoo a few times a week at most. Start with warm water, and finish with cold. I let it air dry, and I sleep on a silk pillow. I also use scrunchies when I put my hair up, which I feel like is a lot less harsh.

I still need to do more research, but I want to take a step up in making sure my hair is as healthy as possible, because my plan is to grow it out (like most of the people here!).
What are you guy's experiences not using shampoo/substituting it with something else? I've heard baking soda and cider vinegar is a popular choice, but that baking soda can be really bad for your hair.
I have heard REALLY good things about using Shikakai/Reetha/Amla powders instead of shampoo and conditioner. <<ive seen almost nothing negative.
Seems like co-washing is also another choice.
Long story short, I dont want my hair to be SO dependent on chemical-based products that are doing more bad than good for my hair. Any natural based products or routines that you guys use or know of are greatly appreciated! Thank you

Andirose111
March 24th, 2019, 03:09 PM
I am a total noob! This is my very first post. I spent a couple hours last night while waiting for my account to be activated scrolling through the various threads. I think I may have found my new routine!

I have ii/2b/3a type hair. It frizzes the minute any moisture touches it! It's a constant battle with my hair. Therefore, most of the time it's in a bun on top of my head!

After reading the CWC thread I decided to give it a shot this afternoon. I'M IN TOTAL AMAZEMENT!!!!! I used cheap conditioner the first go around and creamier good conditioner the second do around. My hair is only this soft when I straighten it! I do have about 3 inches of dead ends needing to come off so until then I soak them up with anti frizz serum.

I'm only 45 minutes post shower, so only time will tell. I plan on trying many of these tips and tricks to get my hair manageable again.

Good luck on your trials! I'll be looking forward to see what you've chosen!

lapushka
March 24th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Hello everyone! I just joined and I need some help/suggestions.

To start, my hair is currently below my shoulders and is quite healthy! Naturally, I would say it's a mixture of 2b and 2c. I rarely use heat on it and I currently have a small routine, but I'm looking to change it up a bit.

I use a shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner. I also use hair masks and oils.

•Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo
•Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Conditioner
•Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Leave-in Conditioner
•Jojoba/Coconut/Castor oils

I REALLY love the leave-in conditioner. I have tried a several different ones, but the Shea Moisture is definitely the best I've used. The conditioner is GOOD and I like the shampoo. It's one of the only shampoos that feels like it's not only cleaning my hair, but also moisturizing it and leaving it silky.
I condition everytime I need to shower, but I try to only shampoo a few times a week at most. Start with warm water, and finish with cold. I let it air dry, and I sleep on a silk pillow. I also use scrunchies when I put my hair up, which I feel like is a lot less harsh.

I still need to do more research, but I want to take a step up in making sure my hair is as healthy as possible, because my plan is to grow it out (like most of the people here!).
What are you guy's experiences not using shampoo/substituting it with something else? I've heard baking soda and cider vinegar is a popular choice, but that baking soda can be really bad for your hair.
I have heard REALLY good things about using Shikakai/Reetha/Amla powders instead of shampoo and conditioner. <<ive seen almost nothing negative.
Seems like co-washing is also another choice.
Long story short, I dont want my hair to be SO dependent on chemical-based products that are doing more bad than good for my hair. Any natural based products or routines that you guys use or know of are greatly appreciated! Thank you

If you don't need to get your hair wet (to shampoo), I wouldn't do it.

You can "refresh" the waves and wurls by misting with a mister bottle until damp and applying some leave-in if you like, or some gel.

Have you heard about the LOC/LCO method for styling? Link is in my signature.

Welcome to this forum.

Welcome to the both of you! :)

FlowerDance
March 24th, 2019, 04:14 PM

You can "refresh" the waves and wurls by misting with a mister bottle until damp and applying some leave-in if you like, or some gel.

Welcome to this forum.

Thank you, I'll look into it! As for rinsing my hair, I need to do it often because I ride horses. It's necessary to where a helmet, plus I sweat a lot, so usually my hair gets really gross!

lapushka
March 24th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Thank you, I'll look into it! As for rinsing my hair, I need to do it often because I ride horses. It's necessary to where a helmet, plus I sweat a lot, so usually my hair gets really gross!

Oooh! That's different then. Now I get why you do it this way, by all means, don't change it up.

Ylva
March 24th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Definitely don't bring baking soda anywhere near your hair. :laugh: Chemicals aren't going to do your hair any harm, as long as you don't overstrip your hair of moisture. It seems like you've found a shampoo that's working well for your hair (and presumably your scalp as well?), so I don't see any reason to make changes there.

ETA: ROO (rinse-out oil) could work for the "dead" ends you've got going on. I know it does wonders for mine!

Andirose111
March 25th, 2019, 01:10 AM

Welcome to this forum.

Thank you! I think I am going to enjoy being here. Thanks for the tips on LOC/LCO method, I am going to try it tomorrow!

lapushka
March 25th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Thank you! I think I am going to enjoy being here. Thanks for the tips on LOC/LCO method, I am going to try it tomorrow!

Let us know how it goes in the thread on the subject! The link is in my signature.

gustavonut
March 25th, 2019, 09:41 AM
My current routine for my short hair is pretty easy.

I wash my hair every other day or every two days depending on greasiness. I no longer use dry shampoo because it makes my hair look greasier somehow.

Depending on how my hair looks I’ll use purple conditioner to make my hair more ashy blonde and less yellow. Sometimes I use too much or don’t wash it out enough and I get a lavender hue which I think looks kinda cool.
I use a clarifying shampoo often because my hair seems to like it a lot and I use a lot of hair masks + Olaplex every once in a while. I use a purple shampoo sometimes but for some reason it doesn’t help as much as the purple conditioner mask.
Once my hair gets longer I will use more conditioner on the ends.

Dark40
March 25th, 2019, 11:39 AM
I am a total noob! This is my very first post. I spent a couple hours last night while waiting for my account to be activated scrolling through the various threads. I think I may have found my new routine!

I have ii/2b/3a type hair. It frizzes the minute any moisture touches it! It's a constant battle with my hair. Therefore, most of the time it's in a bun on top of my head!

After reading the CWC thread I decided to give it a shot this afternoon. I'M IN TOTAL AMAZEMENT!!!!! I used cheap conditioner the first go around and creamier good conditioner the second do around. My hair is only this soft when I straighten it! I do have about 3 inches of dead ends needing to come off so until then I soak them up with anti frizz serum.

I'm only 45 minutes post shower, so only time will tell. I plan on trying many of these tips and tricks to get my hair manageable again.

Hi and welcome! :) I also have 3a type hair too, and frizzies up like crazy. What I do is not shampoo my hair so much. I do co-washes instead, and mine is always amazingly soft!!! I also use leave-in conditioning cream for the frizzies and the humidity, and it really helps me out a lot! I use a product like, "Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream," and also, "Garnier Fructis Milk," as well. I also use light oils on my hair too, and it also keep the frizzies down as well. Like the saying goes,"Curly/Wavy hair is always in need of moisture." Because, it always tends to get dry.

Dark40
March 25th, 2019, 11:41 AM

Hi and welcome! :) I also have 3a type hair too, and frizzies up like crazy. What I do is not shampoo my hair so much. I do co-washes instead, and mine is always amazingly soft!!! I also use leave-in conditioning cream for the frizzies and the humidity, and it really helps me out a lot! I use a product like, "Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream," and also, "Garnier Fructis Milk," as well. I also use light oils on my hair too, and it also keep the frizzies down as well. Like the saying goes,"Curly/Wavy hair is always in need of moisture." Because, it always tends to get dry.

Reservechic
March 25th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Try co-washing! It's a great alternative to not using shampoo on your hair, when you'd prefer to skip such. There are lots of co-washes on the market, I liking co-washes offered by Shea Moisture. I've never tried any co-washes by Shea Moisture, but the best co-wash that I've ever used is the As I Am Coconut Co-Wash. It is affordable lying priced for the amount that you get. It can be used once a week, or more on ones hair, if needed. And, it can be readily found within a ton of stores, as well. I use sulfate free shampoo, but when I desire to do a quick wash of my hair, I will co-wash it with the As I Am Coconut Co-wash. It's not 100% all natural, however it dies contain a number of natural ingredients in it though.

Hope this info helps, FlowerDance​!

RottenMango
April 22nd, 2019, 12:32 PM
I think hair masks are the key to moisture retention.

MusicalSpoons
April 22nd, 2019, 03:36 PM

Welcome! May I ask your reasoning for not wanting synthetic products? (All substances are made up of chemicals, though people tend to make a mental distinction between natural and synthetic.) If it's because of the natural/greenwashing 'movement', then don't worry. If it's for specific environmental or allergy reasons, then fair enough. It's just often people hear things about how certain chemicals are 'bad' but actually they're not inherently bad, we just aren't educated about how to use them, how they work, and what could be causing any problems we might be having. Research is good, educating oneself is good, and being able to make informed decisions is definitely the way to go :)

It's already been mentioned but the 'natural' part of my routine is ROO, the rinse-out oil method. My shampoo could be described as 'naturally inspired' but that's not the reason I use it; I use it because it's the only one I've tried that my scalp actually tolerates ;) the 'nature' part of the shampoo is a load of plant oils, which actually doesn't help make my hair look clean for long, but I need to keep my scalp happy :shrug: