PDA

View Full Version : Peacock twist??

blackgothicdoll
March 24th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Apparently this is the go to for short hair, but I can't seem to get it to work and I'm having trouble finding a video of someone doing it with short hair. I just take my hair, hold it like a ponytail, then twist it and pin it up, but the bottom fluffs back out. I'm sure I'm doing this wrong. Appreciate any help. :o

ReadingRenee
March 24th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Apparently this is the go to for short hair, but I can't seem to get it to work and I'm having trouble finding a video of someone doing it with short hair. I just take my hair, hold it like a ponytail, then twist it and pin it up, but the bottom fluffs back out. I'm sure I'm doing this wrong. Appreciate any help. :o

What are you pinning it with? With my length of hair, only a claw clip works for a peacock twist currently.

Groovy Granny
March 24th, 2019, 02:50 PM
At your length I used claw clips that pretty much held all of the twist except the top section.

blackgothicdoll
March 24th, 2019, 03:02 PM
What are you pinning it with? With my length of hair, only a claw clip works for a peacock twist currently.

Claw clips. I tried flexies as well, but those just flop out. :(

At your length I used claw clips that pretty much held all of the twist except the top section.

So I may need to use a claw clip big enough to hold all of it then, instead of just trying to hold closer to the top?

AmaryllisRed
March 24th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Yeah I need one of the longer claw clips, not the smaller ones.

lapushka
March 24th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Hearing all that, I fear your hair might be too short or too thick. I think I was between shoulder & APL when I could do one.

Groovy Granny
March 24th, 2019, 03:51 PM
So I may need to use a claw clip big enough to hold all of it then, instead of just trying to hold closer to the top?

Exactly; I only used claws near the top to hold my twists when I was at WL+

ReadingRenee
March 24th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Claw clips. I tried flexies as well, but those just flop out. :(

Are you using long claw clips or short ones? I need a long, yet not super big one to hold almost all of my twist. A short one does the same thing you are talking about and the bottom flops out.

blackgothicdoll
March 24th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Are you using long claw clips or short ones? I need a long, yet not super big one to hold almost all of my twist. A short one does the same thing you are talking about and the bottom flops out.

I was using small ones and also kind of medium sized, the octopus type. I ordered some cute long ones so I will try those, and hopefully they'll work...

Lapushka, my hair is very close to APL now (stretched). It's pretty stretched at this point and past SL, but my layers/thickness might be causing me trouble. I'll see how the bigger clips work.

lapushka
March 24th, 2019, 04:37 PM
I was using small ones and also kind of medium sized, the octopus type. I ordered some cute long ones so I will try those, and hopefully they'll work...

Lapushka, my hair is very close to APL now (stretched). It's pretty stretched at this point and past SL, but my layers/thickness might be causing me trouble. I'll see how the bigger clips work.

I hope that does it; otherwise 2 claws underneath each other (used to do that too, if I could not find my big one).

ReadingRenee
March 24th, 2019, 06:57 PM
I hope that does it; otherwise 2 claws underneath each other (used to do that too, if I could not find my big one).

That is a great idea! I might have to try that to get more use out of my short ones.

blackgothicdoll, the octopus type, and the spider type don't work for me when my hair is short. My favorite ones are these.

https://www.amazon.com/Goody-AGO-042-Large-Claw-Clips/dp/B004G59GFA/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2W5RK3DCWMC4T&keywords=goody+medium+claw+hair+clips&qid=1553475380&s=beauty&sprefix=goody+medium+cla%2Cbeauty%2C169&sr=1-7

looks like they get bad reviews, but I love them. And they are not really large... I buy these whenever I see them because nothing else holds my hair as well as these do when my hair is shorter. Once my hair is longer, these don't work anymore.

Kake
March 26th, 2019, 12:08 PM
I find the important thing is the length of the teeth of the claw clips. I always used the smallish clip with long teeth, which worked best for me.
black gothic doll I wonder if you might find it easier with a bit more length, your hair thickness could be your issue right now.

AuNaturel
April 6th, 2019, 08:40 PM
Starting with a ponytail gives me a weird shape (like a bump). I gather the hair and start twisting at the nape, then keep twisting/tucking as I flip it up. Tuck twist tuck against my head, moving up and twisting, and I clip it into place with a jaw clip (one of the sorta-big ones) on top of my head, so that the curls spill out the top. It's a French twist movement.

dove4
April 9th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Try doing the twist on only part of your hair, like a half up, or even a third up. The peacock twist was easier for me when my hair was thinner.