View Full Version : Ion hair dryer

cjk
March 23rd, 2019, 02:39 PM
In years past I've blow dried my hair. High heat, high speed, without the knowledge to do it I was basically giving myself a blowout.

As a typical guy, I didn't care. My hair needed to be dry.

Since growing it out I've not used heat at all, but to be frank I'm sick of waiting an entire day for my hair to dry. So I looked into hair dryers.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair/hair-styling-tools/hair-dryers/magnesium-blow-dryer/SBS-301125.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplpSBS-301125&sc_intid=SBS-301125&utm_content=SBS-301125&gclid=CjwKCAjwstfkBRBoEiwADTmnELVM7fKiAL1Zlq4DNzrY DbLmTa4csxcdhn9nMfOs7UpY70wNyWYByhoCPbcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Actually found one of these at a remote goodwill store so I picked it up. Used it today for the first time and it seems to work well. Didn't come with the attachments, though, so I have a diffuser on order from eBay.

Other than a diffuser what else might I need to know? I've not let heat anywhere near my hair in years, so I'm starting from scratch.

akurah
March 23rd, 2019, 03:03 PM
In general, if it's cool enough to blow on your skin without discomfort, it won't cause damage, but I don't know about when it crosses the discomfort threshold. If it's hot enough to burn your skin though, it can cause damage. I have a folding travel dryer from conair that I am fond of. I've never really played with the ionic ones.

lapushka
March 23rd, 2019, 03:23 PM
Yes you can use the warm setting, but don't put it all the way on the hottest setting. Test it on your skin. As long as your skin doesn't get that burning sensation, especially with prolonged blow drying as some can heat up, then it's fine for the hair as well. This is how to gauge the temperature that will be OK.

The diffuser will be immensely helpful, I'm sure!

I have an ION blow dryer as well, with an on/off button. It gets a little less hot on the ion setting, but that's about it. I notice nothing else on the hair from flicking that switch on or off.

The one I have now is a regular blow dryer, from Babyliss, good motor, gets a little hotter than my Braun one (but still OK); dries fantastically.

You just need to "get to know" your blow dryer a bit right now.
Good luck with your new tool! :thumbsup: