PDA

View Full Version : Long hair care and little kids

Caerulea
March 22nd, 2019, 11:24 PM
Out of curiosity and amusement:

How many of you have young kids or had young kids while on your long hair journey?

How has that affected your hair care?

Iím back on the long hair bandwagon after several years (see join date), currently a little past APL. Whatís different from last time is that I have an almost 18 month old daughter. Iím by myself right now as my husband is away for work. I bought some new hair toys as a treat for recommitting to growing my hair out. When they arrived, I took one look and thought ĎWhen will I have time to practice using these?í

I see lots of different buns and braids that Iím unfamiliar with and would love to learn, but remember how many tries it takes them get them ďjust rightĒ in the beginning and how small my toddlerís window of patience is at the moment (donít get me wrong - sheís awesome and I love her. She just lets me know where my priorities should lie).

On the plus side, changing my wash schedule from every other day to every 4-5 days makes bath time much easier as sheís usually in the tub with me. I have also mastered the art of washing with the detachable shower head while sitting in the tub as a standing shower makes her fuss from the spray hitting her in the face.

Surprisingly, not too many issues with hair and nursing, although I know there are many moms out there with little ones who insist on playing with their hair.

What about you? How have little kids impacted your long hair for better or worse?

littlestarface
March 23rd, 2019, 12:24 AM
I haven't had little babies in like 20 years but I always kept my hair up all the time, I still do, I think I always did even when I was younger always buns. I never even tried to do a nice bun or any new style until my kids got older. I was always doing cinnabun or a quick scrunchie or claw clip bun back then and that worked pretty good for me with the boys. I was scared to use sticks and pencils back then with them cuz I was afraid i'd poke one of their little eyes out lol. But my boys never even impacted my hair at all, I totally even forgot about having hair until they got to about 5 haha. Heck back then I was so busy with them I didn't even have time to do a braid, it was always real quick up it goes in a bun.

embee
March 23rd, 2019, 06:30 AM
I'd like to re-live those days! My babies are long grown and gone.

At the start I had hair long enough for a low pony, and no hair toys whatsoever, never had seen or heard of them. The big annoyance was my front wispies which baby would pull, and that hurt. So I chopped into a really short boy cut which was convenient but impossible to keep looking nice, could not afford the frequent trimmings. :( I hated the look and my solution (big dangle earrings) was a bust as they were more tempting than my wispies.

Find a couple of quick updo styles and work on them. Orchid bun, Lazy wrap. Topknot gibralter. Sticks could be dangerous but spinpins are magic for many buns.

Patience32
March 23rd, 2019, 08:42 AM
I have 5 children. The oldest is 11 and my youngest is 20 months. My hair is a little past BSL and I have had my hair long on and off since my oldest was born. I usually wear it up most of the time because otherwise the littles accidentally pull it while sitting on my lap and I am usually busy with chores. Or my youngest will play with it a bit while nursing. But mostly my kiddos leave it alone. We'll see if they get more interested the longer it gets!

I usually practice updos during naptime or bedtime. For the most part I do a LWB or Disc bun during the day and I like the flexi 8 because they aren't poking out like sticks, they are secure, and plus they make me feel fancy! :love: After the kids are in bed and my work is done for the day I love wearing it down.

lapushka
March 23rd, 2019, 08:46 AM
I have no children, but my mom kept my hair short (pixie, then page-boy hair cut) until I was 5. I was 5 when I went to 1st grade and so I noticed that all the girls in my class had longer hair than me, and I felt the odd one out. So I asked her if I could grow it. She "tested" me for a while, but then I put my foot down (LOL) and told her I would no longer go to the hair dresser with her, and so she allowed me to grow out my hair; and boy, did she ever. I hit classic age 10/11.

AmaryllisRed
March 23rd, 2019, 09:05 AM
Mine are 3, 5, 7, and 11.
I've always known how to do simple styles like an English braid or French braid. When I decided to stop cutting my hair, my youngest was about one and a half. Like Patience said, I would practice new styles after they had gone to bed. For a while there, I had super fancy hair every night, at home by myself. :)
But now I can do a French braid in three minutes before leaving the house in the morning and have several other quick styles in my arsenal as well.
Before kids, I used to wash my hair every single day. So I was kind of forced into washing less frequently but it works fine.

CopperButterfly
March 23rd, 2019, 10:04 AM
I also have an 18 month old, and he loves to get into shenanigans while I'm putting up my hair. It's why on a day to day basis I just stick with a basic disc bun. I can get it up pretty quickly before he gets into too much trouble. I save serious experimentation for when he's either asleep or occupied by an older sibling or his dad.

I'd say the biggest thing I do differently than when I had long hair as a teen, is that I just keep it up 90% of the time. He just loves to pull on it and that hurts. I also have to keep him from pulling out my sticks, but he doesn't try that too often. I also use Flexi-8's a lot for that reason. And I do like to wear my hair down in the evening or sometimes when I got out with my husband and not the kids.

Funny story about my long hair and kids, is when I was tucking my 5 year old into bed, I leaned over and gave him a kiss, then turned my head so he could kiss my cheek. When he didn't, I looked back to see all of my hair piled in his face. "Oh that's why he's not kissing me." Haha. I moved the hair and he gave me a good night kiss. Silly boy not saying anything about a face full of hair.

milosmomma
March 23rd, 2019, 11:20 AM
I lolled at that last bit copper!
I have a daughter 11 with bcl hair and 15mo son with a 6 inch mohawk and 1.5inch sides. My daughter was thrilled when I cut all my dye out a few years ago because we had both been growing our hair and now she was "in the lead" :lol: But with her it is like taking care of 2 long hairs because I spoil her hair as well. Give her the deep treatments, do the roos when she let's me and so on. But she always just wants it in a braid but I wish she would let me experiment new styles on her. Bunning someone else hair is alot harder than bunning your own. But braiding someone else is easier than braiding my own...idk how that works.
I'm letting my sons hair grow too, I figure when he starts talking if he says he hates having long hair then we will cut :lol:
When it comes to my hair I usually play around with learning styles and such when bath time is happening, I really only have to worry of about the little one. He does try and take my forks and run off with them and there have been some chases around the house where I'm yelling "its sharp! You'll poke your eye out!"
When my hair is up he has no idea that I even have hair. The only time it's down is after a wash really, which usually doubles as his bath time. He doesnt like my wet hair, if I bent over him to change a diaper or get him dressed hell push it away rather than pull so that's nice.
Even braided hair hell show a little interest but I think he already understands that is attached to our heads (mine and DD) and hell just check it out or caress the braid lol he's a sweet boy.

Atarah
March 23rd, 2019, 10:48 PM
My children are age 16 years down to 18 months. The youngest has definitely postponed my length goals; I was going for knee, but now it will be classic and trimmed back to hip continuously until he's a bit older. I enjoy wearing my hair down 1 or 2 days a week, but the toddler loves to play with it (and gets jealous when his dada is playing with it instead) and the 4-year-old daughter wants to braid it (she does not know how to braid!), so slightly shorter for a few years and then we'll reevaluate.

That being said, I definitely practiced different buns during naps or after bedtime. Nowadays, it's almost always a Celtic knot bun with a hair fork. If I have a few extra minutes in the morning, a braided bun works great and then I don't have to untangle anything that evening, just leave it braided overnight.

Caerulea
March 24th, 2019, 12:38 AM
Like Patience said, I would practice new styles after they had gone to bed. For a while there, I had super fancy hair every night, at home by myself. :)

I love it :laugh: I have a feeling Iím going to be doing a lot of this.

I have a daughter 11 with bcl hair and 15mo son with a 6 inch mohawk and 1.5inch sides. My daughter was thrilled when I cut all my dye out a few years ago because we had both been growing our hair and now she was "in the lead" :lol: But with her it is like taking care of 2 long hairs because I spoil her hair as well. Give her the deep treatments, do the roos when she let's me and so on. But she always just wants it in a braid but I wish she would let me experiment new styles on her. Bunning someone else hair is alot harder than bunning your own. But braiding someone else is easier than braiding my own...idk how that works.

I had forgotten about this, but yes! Iím excited for when my daughter gets older and has longer hair. She already has a good head of hair for 18 months. My mom let me do what I wanted with my hair when I was younger, but never did any hairstyles on me that I can remember or played with my hair. Iím looking forward to spending that time with my daughter and teaching her to care for her hair (or letting her cut it if thatís what she decides on, while secretly hoping she doesnít).

Caerulea
March 24th, 2019, 12:46 AM
Also, thanks for the updo recommendations! Iím sure at least some will work for my current length and I can save others for later. My biggest struggle right now is shorter sections of hair in front of my ears from postpartum hair loss :nono: So annoying!

Upside Down
March 24th, 2019, 01:54 AM
I had it bunned all the time in the grabby hands phase.

I got so sick of buns, lol

My friend has a short layered with lots of face framing curls kind of cut and she didnít move the bangs or any of the hair away. Or her big earrings :) I still dinít understand how she got used to the grabbing with her daughter. I guess it is a personal thing. But she sleeps with all the jewelery so she is pretty tolerant to the pulling and yanking around her face, I guess.

milosmomma
March 24th, 2019, 02:34 AM
Also, thanks for the updo recommendations! Iím sure at least some will work for my current length and I can save others for later. My biggest struggle right now is shorter sections of hair in front of my ears from postpartum hair loss :nono: So annoying!

I have tons or regrowth right now as well. I actually ended up cutting the bits right in front of my ears (sideburns I guess) because I thinned badly there and at my temples. They are now "face framing layers". I posted a picture of my regrowth in another thread but I feel like we can relate. Once my hair is up, if there is wind, all the shorter bits will all come out
https://i.imgur.com/ePWVe75m.jpg
I'm here too girl, It will catch up with the rest of our hair if we are patient :)
I also have a pic which shows how I put my sons hairs, my family hates it because it's "girly" but at least its no in his eyes.
https://i.imgur.com/B2yorIam.jpg
I also will use a clip or bobby pin to push his hair over to the side.
I think she might let you wear a head band on her too, my son is more likely to leave his hair alone if I actually let him watch in the mirror as I do it. It might be something to try with your daughter. Seeing what you're doing with her hair might interest her and she might want to play around in the mirror(little kids love mirrors :) )

spidergoat
March 24th, 2019, 01:16 PM
When my daughter was young and I had just started to grow my hair, she would yank out my hair sticks every chance she got! Fortunately she's way past that stage now, although she still admires my hair toys. I prefer to keep them out of sight when I'm not wearing them. Accidents happen and hair toys can be expensive to replace!

Caerulea
March 24th, 2019, 04:18 PM
I also will use a clip or bobby pin to push his hair over to the side.
I think she might let you wear a head band on her too, my son is more likely to leave his hair alone if I actually let him watch in the mirror as I do it. It might be something to try with your daughter. Seeing what you're doing with her hair might interest her and she might want to play around in the mirror(little kids love mirrors :) )

Such a cute little ponytail :) With my daughter, I can use a side part and a barrette to keep her hair out of her eyes if we’re going out because she’s usually distracted by what’s going on around her. At home, I’ve attempted barrettes and small elastics but she won’t rest until she pulls it out, so I mostly just try to sweep it out of her eyes periodically and let her run around looking like a feral child :laugh: