PDA

View Full Version : New Gym Membership---There's A Pool!

FennFire911
March 20th, 2019, 10:22 PM
I resumed my gym membership today and my only hair concern is the pool. I asked while I was there signing up if the pool was chlorine or a salt system. They said salt, definitely no chlorine.
What steps do I take to keep my hair healthy?
Is a silicone swim cap going to keep out all water? Should I do a pre poo oil under a silicone swim cap with reasonable believe that it won't cause trouble for their system. I don't want to mess them up.
Halp! :D

milosmomma
March 20th, 2019, 11:04 PM
I went swimming not too long ago and I was under the impression it was going to be chlorine. I heavily oiled my hair to have a protective layer and then braided and burned it thinking if it smelled really harshly I wouldn't even go under water. Well it turned out to be salt water and a heavy oiling wasn't even necessary. I was still heavily oiled after swimming for a few hours and once I washed it was like I had a nice deep treatment.
Since it's for sure a salt pool I would say a light oiling from ears down or protectant spray should be just fine to keep dryness at bay.

spidermom
March 21st, 2019, 06:39 AM
The most protective thing I've tried when doing a lot of swimming in the ocean and in pools during vacations is coney serum, specifically CHI Silk Infusion. I'd apply generously then braid snugly. At the end of the day, I shampooed everything out and used conditioner from scalp to ends to offset any dryness.

The last time I used a swim cap, it didn't keep out the water.

FennFire911
March 21st, 2019, 09:05 AM
Perfect! I'll spare myself the swim cap then. Even when I was on the swim teams as a child I hated and never wore them. lol
Spidermom, I just saw some CHI Silk at Marshall's last week. I'll grab a bottle when I'm in town today. That's a good idea to have on hand anyway even if I didn't swim.

Thanks ladies!

Simpscone
March 21st, 2019, 09:26 AM
Sorry to jump on your thread, but I was wondering if there are any issues with oiling your hair to go swimming? I used to go pretty often and once or twice I used argon oil or coconut oil in my hair and then braided it, but I was worried about getting oil in the pool? Is it inconsiderate of the other swimmers or whoever has to clean or anything? My pool is chlorine so I think that's harsher...

meteor
March 21st, 2019, 10:32 AM
There are swim caps for longer hair, and some people layer 2 swim caps to slow down water seeping underneath.

I think using generous amounts of silicone serums, oils and conditioners can help. If you braid and bun it really snugly and cover with swim caps, the leaking of oil should be minimal.

I'd definitely consider chelating shampoos and chelating masks (often marketed as "swimmers" shampoos and other products) and rinse and condition hair as soon as you get out of that water to get water with heavier concentration of those minerals out as soon as possible.

milosmomma
March 21st, 2019, 11:16 AM
Sorry to jump on your thread, but I was wondering if there are any issues with oiling your hair to go swimming? I used to go pretty often and once or twice I used argon oil or coconut oil in my hair and then braided it, but I was worried about getting oil in the pool? Is it inconsiderate of the other swimmers or whoever has to clean or anything? My pool is chlorine so I think that's harsher...

I have an aunt whos pool we crash alot and I always oil, she's chlorine, and I've never noticed oil coming off and trailing behind me oh my I would probably be mortified :lol: I am not sure if a serum would act the same as oil but I assume it's fine because they're clear(i think, i don't use serums). I think the worst thing for pools is sunscreen. It always clouds the water when you jump in, or if there are many kids swimming who are all slathered in sunscreen. I think things like curl creams might cloud up the water when you get your hair wet though.

Mei_Lin
March 21st, 2019, 02:02 PM
I used to swim with 2 swim caps. Also wetting your hair before getting into the swimming pool is useful. Oiling it slightly will help too. Also, don't stress out too much, I've swum for years without any care or protection and my hair didn't get green or anything:D