PDA

View Full Version : What daytime hair covering do you use?

sallytz
March 20th, 2019, 08:25 PM
When I work I like to pull my hair back into a bun and then wear a broad headband over it. Right now I use a BLOM headband with a few bobby pins in the back to keep in place.

I like the versatility of it, although in actuality I only wear it one way. I like the way it looks. With the bobby pins, it stays in place during 12+ hour shifts with minimal adjustments.

The material is pretty good: pretty soft, but snug. However, not so tight that it ever gives me a headache. There's nothing in it that really tears at my hair, but when I take it off at the end of the day, it seems like the hair underneath is a little frizzy, so I wonder if, long term, it could be causing some damage.

What do you all use? Any other headband recommendations for regular wear?

blesseddamozel
March 20th, 2019, 08:37 PM
I don't typically cover my hair, but when I hike I usually tie a bandana around my head like this (https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hairstylestars.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F06%2Fbandana-hairstyles.jpg%3F35e925&f=1) or this (https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.etsystatic.com%2Fil%2F5a1f2b% 2F438666450%2Fil_fullxfull.438666450_8p68.jpg%3Fve rsion%3D1&f=1). I'll usually put my hair in a bun or braid underneath to keep any ticks/dirt from my hair.

milosmomma
March 20th, 2019, 08:41 PM
I like to wear scarves and bandanas sometimes but mostly around the house/yard. Sometimes I feel self conscious in public but still venture out occasionally in them. If you're feeling frizziness it could just be from the material being in contact with your hair for the long shift, I experience this with certain materials too, usually cotton. Sometimes it feels like the scarf is taking moisture away from my hair and drying it out. I would suggest trying different materials to see if it changes. Silky or satin is always best and leave m hair moisturized feeling but they can be slippery and may move around and need readjusting through out the day. I wouldn't think it's causing you any actual damage because there's no friction happening, just drying it out a little and should feel better even with a spritz of water.

ETA: And silky scarves for sleeping!

meteor
March 20th, 2019, 08:51 PM
In harsh cold winter, I tend to wear a silky scarf under another (warmer) scarf and a hood. In summertime, I sometimes wear a hat to protect from UV damage, but since my bun is large, the hat only perches a bit on top, oh well... I do wear a silky scarf for sleeping, and it's been extremely helpful for preventing tangles, frizz and mechanical damage overnight.

Generally, I think people who wear full head coverings all the time are at a serious advantage for hair protection and keeping hair clean and tangle-free, especially in very windy weather.

littlestarface
March 20th, 2019, 09:04 PM
I wear this outside, its cotton which I love cuz its breathable and I don't feel like i'm gonna die. but um after seeing a certain live stream I don't think i'm gonna anymore.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-plxeeol6d5/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/356/1558/IMG_7721__47130.1526863330.JPG?c=2&imbypass=on

sallytz
March 20th, 2019, 09:15 PM
I actually really like modesty wear. I'm glad that more and more styles are becoming common.

FennFire911
March 20th, 2019, 10:16 PM
I actually really like modesty wear. I'm glad that more and more styles are becoming common.

Modesty being fashionable is great! But can it also be casual? I have yet to find a hair covering that I could pull off wearing a t shirt and ripped jeans.

milosmomma
March 21st, 2019, 12:01 AM
Modesty being fashionable is great! But can it also be casual? I have yet to find a hair covering that I could pull off wearing a t shirt and ripped jeans.

Bandanas can be snazzy yet modest yet casual :lol: probably not along the lines of what you're thinking. But when I think head covering to go with ripped jeans and a t, a bandana just sounds right.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 21st, 2019, 02:29 AM
I wear this outside, its cotton which I love cuz its breathable and I don't feel like i'm gonna die. but um after seeing a certain live stream I don't think i'm gonna anymore.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-plxeeol6d5/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/356/1558/IMG_7721__47130.1526863330.JPG?c=2&imbypass=on

Oh no, you didn't watch that, did you? They were asking people not to watch it.

LadyCelestina
March 21st, 2019, 02:52 AM
I used to not use any, but this summer I'm planning to protect my hair because I really like the darker and ashier colour it gets over the winter :p

Here's my action plan so far (looking good > sun protection):

Outdoor activities: a buff. My boyfriend wears one too and likes when I wear mine, so that's a confidence boost lol. I'm also looking into finding flattering baseball caps, if there's such a thing.

Outdoor activities of the non-sport variety: No idea. The way I dress is not very compatible with hats (or at least I think it looks weird), so option baseball cap still stands. I can also imagine wearing a buff or a scarf as a headband, but I can't imagine tucking the length in.

Hats miiight work maybe if I pair it with a sundress.

Patience32
March 21st, 2019, 07:26 AM
I used to wear a Tichel headscarf every day. It was awesome because they come in tons of different fabrics and styles from casual to very elegant and they can be tied in a ton of different ways too. I ended up stopping wearing them because my mom said some unkind things to me about it. I know I shouldn't let that bother me but it did. My husband used to love it when I would wear them. I should pull them out again, this thread is inspiring me!

FennFire911
March 21st, 2019, 09:01 AM
I used to wear a Tichel headscarf every day. It was awesome because they come in tons of different fabrics and styles from casual to very elegant and they can be tied in a ton of different ways too. I ended up stopping wearing them because my mom said some unkind things to me about it. I know I shouldn't let that bother me but it did. My husband used to love it when I would wear them. I should pull them out again, this thread is inspiring me!

IMO, maybe you should do what makes you and your husband happy. I've had to let go of my mother's and sister's negative remarks about my hair being too long and tell them to not bother saying these things to me again. If there's anybody else on this earth whose happiness matters (after yours) it would be your husband. I presume he spends more time with you than your mother.
I hope that didn't come off too rude. It's just that I've dealt with something similar. Just my two cents, spend at will! ;)

Jo Ann
March 21st, 2019, 10:16 AM
Usually I don't bother with a head covering, unless it rains...do plastic bags count? :shrug:

I do wear a baseball cap on occasion, with my hair hanging out over the adjustment strap, like a ponytail...

sallytz
March 21st, 2019, 10:35 AM

I've seen some really beatiful ones! They can get so elaborate. Did you buy yours online or in a store?

I hope you do give it a go again, since it was something you enjoyed. Post a picture. :)

Patience32
March 21st, 2019, 11:29 AM
IMO, maybe you should do what makes you and your husband happy. I've had to let go of my mother's and sister's negative remarks about my hair being too long and tell them to not bother saying these things to me again. If there's anybody else on this earth whose happiness matters (after yours) it would be your husband. I presume he spends more time with you than your mother.
I hope that didn't come off too rude. It's just that I've dealt with something similar. Just my two cents, spend at will! ;)

Thanks for the encouragement FennFire911 I appreciate it. I agree with you, I know it should not bother me. My Mom is always very critical, but I know she doesn't realize what she's doing. You'd think after 40 years I could let it just roll off me, but alas, it is hard to let it go. I'm sorry you have to deal with negativity from your family too. It sounds like you have found a healthy way to respond though, so that is great!

Anyway, maybe I will dig out my old tichels and revive it! Especially now that I'm trying to grow my hair out....they would be great protection in the summer because a lot of them are a light gauze material and not too hot!

*Wednesday*
March 21st, 2019, 11:51 AM

If you don't mind me asking, was it something that happened?

I think what our mother’s say affects us. Anyone can say anything, but when a mother says something it goes to your core. My mother does this as well. I never wear my hair down around her. My mother is not well and she lives with me. So it’s, “oh, please put your hair up, it will get into things” or “Don’t let it touch the table.” When I do wear it down I feel paranoid around her.
You have to enjoy, “you” and what makes you happy.

littlestarface
March 21st, 2019, 11:55 AM
If you don't mind me asking, was it something that happened?

I think what our mother’s say affects us. Anyone can say anything, but when a mother says something it goes to your core. My mother does this as well. I never wear my hair down around her. My mother is not well and she lives with me. So it’s, “oh, please put your hair up, it will get into things” or “Don’t let it touch the table.” When I do wear it down I feel paranoid around her.
You have to enjoy, “you” and what makes you happy.

I'll pm you.

My mother is the worst with my hair, its so thin, it gets everywhere, your like the animals shedding all the time and so on..

Patience32
March 21st, 2019, 11:58 AM
I've seen some really beatiful ones! They can get so elaborate. Did you buy yours online or in a store?

I hope you do give it a go again, since it was something you enjoyed. Post a picture. :)

I bought mine online. I'd love to find them in a store though.

I have some old pictures but I can't figure out how to post pics yet....hopefully once I am a full member I'll be able to.

TatsuOni
March 21st, 2019, 12:29 PM
I use scarves.

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/december_5c39c904e087c36806d752eb.jpg

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/mars2_5c39c30c9606ee22b60538e2.jpg

These are square scarves bought from second hand.

*Wednesday*
March 21st, 2019, 12:35 PM
I'll pm you.

My mother is the worst with my hair, its so thin, it gets everywhere, your like the animals shedding all the time and so on..

You have beautiful hair. It doesn't look thin from the pictures you posted.

I like that TatsuOni. I may try this. I have been considering scarves. I love the hair stick but I'm too clumsy and yours is nice and thick, the bun.

I use scarves.

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/mars2_5c39c30c9606ee22b60538e2.jpg

littlestarface
March 21st, 2019, 12:37 PM
You have beautiful hair. It doesn't look from the pictures you posted.

I like that TatsuOni. I may try this. I have been considering scarves.

Thank you sweetheart. My family is the kind where they like really thick hair so like someone with my type is ugly to them sadly.

TatsuOni
March 21st, 2019, 12:42 PM
You have beautiful hair. It doesn't look thin from the pictures you posted.

I like that TatsuOni. I may try this. I have been considering scarves. I love the hair stick but I'm too clumsy and yours is nice and thick, the bun.

Any type of bun works :)

blackgothicdoll
March 21st, 2019, 12:44 PM
Thank you sweetheart. My family is the kind where they like really thick hair so like someone with my type is ugly to them sadly.

I think I've said this before but how can anyone think your hair is thin?! lol! In every pic I've seen it looks super thick. I'm partially wondering what their hair looks like if they think your's is thin. Thick thin or otherwise, it's gorgeous.

Tatsu I do love the way you wear those scarves.

I also have issues wearing scarves because mom used to say some pretty ugly comments regarding wearing scarves. I don't live anywhere near her but it's like a little nagging voice in the back of my head I can't shut down.

Currently I love to wear beanies, now that it's getting warmer I can't and baseball caps always catch the velcro on my hair. Plus, I can sneak a satin bonnet underneath a beanie, can't do that with a baseball cap.

littlestarface
March 21st, 2019, 12:49 PM
I think I've said this before but how can anyone think your hair is thin?! lol! In every pic I've seen it looks super thick. I'm partially wondering what their hair looks like if they think your's is thin. Thick thin or otherwise, it's gorgeous.

I also have issues wearing scarves because mom used to say some pretty ugly comments regarding wearing scarves. I don't live anywhere near her but it's like a little nagging voice in the back of my head I can't shut down.

Currently I love to wear beanies, now that it's getting warmer I can't and baseball caps always catch the velcro on my hair. Plus, I can sneak a satin bonnet underneath a beanie, can't do that with a baseball cap.

Thank you, only here do I ever get the compliments :flowers:

TatsuOni
March 21st, 2019, 12:50 PM

Thank you :)

milosmomma
March 21st, 2019, 12:51 PM
I'm curious about the live stream that would make you not feel comfortable wearing your head covering too, littlestarface. Is there a video you're referring to? I dont want to pry if its personal though.

sallytz
March 21st, 2019, 12:52 PM

What about something like this?

Eva Mendes (https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/15/article-2325210-19C9650F000005DC-450_634x867.jpg)

littlestarface
March 21st, 2019, 12:53 PM
I'm curious about the live stream that would make you not feel comfortable wearing your head covering too, littlestarface. Is there a video you're referring to? I dont want to pry if its personal though.

Its that new zealand thing all over the news a few days ago.

blackgothicdoll
March 21st, 2019, 12:55 PM

I don't recommend viewing the livestream (I only say that because his motive profits from views). I believe they are referencing the terror attack that occurred in NZ, where a man shot up mosques. His specific motivation was taking back [the west?] from middle-easterners/Muslims... hence her concern with wearing a hijab and being targeted by a bigot of that sort.

blackgothicdoll
March 21st, 2019, 12:55 PM
What about something like this?

Eva Mendes (https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/15/article-2325210-19C9650F000005DC-450_634x867.jpg)

oh that's cute. What is that called?

sallytz
March 21st, 2019, 01:02 PM
oh that's cute. What is that called?

I don't know what the name of that particular style is called, but here's a video of her tying it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kucqSUIL6KE

sallytz
March 21st, 2019, 01:07 PM
For everyone struggling with internalized criticism, this website has a series of talks I've been listening to on Self Acceptance.

Sounds True Self Acceptance Project (https://www.soundstrue.com/store/gifts/freefree?partner=free)

All the materials are free to access when you sign up with your email address.

There are 22 talks (!) and even though a lot of them cover the same ground, I've slowly been listening to almost all of them - I've only skipped a couple where the speaker just didn't sound that interesting.

They contain a lot of tips about how to recognize and get to the heart of inner criticism and different techniques for managing it. It's a really cool series. The host kind of has that NPR voice (which could be a pro or con, depending on how you feel about it) but she's a really, really good interviewer.

milosmomma
March 21st, 2019, 01:15 PM
Oh yes I have been aware of those horrible incidents in NZ and I dont want to watch that! I cant understand how people can even have that much hate inside them. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Back on topic, saltz ty for sharing the video. I do something similar when I want my bun out but it's great to have more options for tying scarves. The ones I have can look different depending how they're tied and which parts are exposed.

ursaV
March 21st, 2019, 02:55 PM
Tatsu I am so in love with your style!
OP, I also wear broad, jersey material headbands often when I'm not at work. They're comfy and I just like the feeling of something covering my hair.
I've pinned a million tichel ideas but I have yet to try them outside the house because I haven't found the confidence yet. I actually wore my infinity scarf over my hair today in the rain and pushed myself to drive all the way home with it still on, so it was a baby step but a step nonetheless. Thank you for the videossallytz, I'm always looking for nice talks to listen to and I love the concept of mindfulness :)

Yes, please pull them back out! And share some pics to spread the inspiration :flower:

sallytz
March 21st, 2019, 05:27 PM
I also don't have the confidence to pull off a really elaborate hair wrap, although I find them so beatiful! I'm comfortable with a broad headband for now.🙂

I browse the wrapunzel blog for fun: https://wrapunzelblog.com

milosmomma
March 21st, 2019, 08:14 PM
Wow, I couldn't stop scrolling sallytz, so many beautiful style that I also don't have the confidence for :lol: I'm more of a casual, my hair looks gross and I'm lazy, hair coverer.

FennFire911
March 21st, 2019, 08:24 PM
I don't recommend viewing the livestream (I only say that because his motive profits from views). I believe they are referencing the terror attack that occurred in NZ, where a man shot up mosques. His specific motivation was taking back [the west?] from middle-easterners/Muslims... hence her concern with wearing a hijab and being targeted by a bigot of that sort.

I ended up watching the livestream the day it happened, but not actually live. Besides not giving him the attention by clicking on the links, I STRONGLY advise against seeing this. I have no words for how ghastly and horrific and tragic it was. Those are images that can't be unseen.

PLEASE do not look at that madman's rampage!

Sorry for hijacking. Just needed to let y'all know that it's not worth it at all to look, coming from someone who did and wishes they hadn't. :/

Sarahlabyrinth
March 22nd, 2019, 01:41 AM
I ended up watching the livestream the day it happened, but not actually live. Besides not giving him the attention by clicking on the links, I STRONGLY advise against seeing this. I have no words for how ghastly and horrific and tragic it was. Those are images that can't be unseen.

PLEASE do not look at that madman's rampage!

Sorry for hijacking. Just needed to let y'all know that it's not worth it at all to look, coming from someone who did and wishes they hadn't. :/

Yes, I have not seen it but have a feeling that if I did watch it I would see things that I would never be able to get out of my head again. And I don't want stuff like that in my brain forever. There are horrors that are best not seen. Plus of course it would be pandering to the gunman....

TatsuOni
March 22nd, 2019, 08:48 AM
Tatsu I am so in love with your style!
OP, I also wear broad, jersey material headbands often when I'm not at work. They're comfy and I just like the feeling of something covering my hair.
I've pinned a million tichel ideas but I have yet to try them outside the house because I haven't found the confidence yet. I actually wore my infinity scarf over my hair today in the rain and pushed myself to drive all the way home with it still on, so it was a baby step but a step nonetheless. Thank you for the videossallytz, I'm always looking for nice talks to listen to and I love the concept of mindfulness :)

Yes, please pull them back out! And share some pics to spread the inspiration :flower:

Thank you! :flower:

milosmomma
March 22nd, 2019, 09:28 AM
Yes, I have not seen it but have a feeling that if I did watch it I would see things that I would never be able to get out of my head again. And I don't want stuff like that in my brain forever. There are horrors that are best not seen. Plus of course it would be pandering to the gunman....
Thanks blackgothicdoll and fennfire. And I totally agree with you sarahlabylinth. I have seen some things that I cant unseen (both real life and horrifying videos like the one in question) and I dont need to add anymore negative images to haunt my memory banks! Thank you all for the warnings. I think it's so terrible and depressing that mentally sick people like that can spread fear for just being who you are and expressing yourself by wearing something that should make you feel comfortable.

On topic I have a question about square scarves. Do you find them more stable when you tie them in front or in back? I would pretty much always wear it by fold into triangle and laying it out on the bed with the point facing me. Bend over and put in on like "plopping" except I usually have a bun under it, sometimes just actually plop loose hair. And then I grab the 2 longer points and pull them around my nape to the forehead and tie once, the point that was facing me I then fold up and tie the 2 longer tails around the flap. It leaves me with 2 long tails that I rope braid and then roll up into a "bun" in the front. Anyone else use this technique? I'm thinking maybe I'd get less slipping by taking the remaining tails and wrapping them back around my head again and tying them at my nape instead. Idk if I'm explaining clearly but I can take pictures if anyone is interested.

Patience32
March 22nd, 2019, 06:34 PM
TatsuOni Your scarves are beautiful. How did you wrap it around your bun in the first picture, where your bun is exposed?

TatsuOni
March 23rd, 2019, 09:13 AM
TatsuOni Your scarves are beautiful. How did you wrap it around your bun in the first picture, where your bun is exposed?

I've put a picture tutorial here :) https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=147010&p=3575622&viewfull=1#post3575622

I promised someone to make a video tutorial, but I've been unable to do it for a while. I'll try to get it done next week...

milosmomma
March 23rd, 2019, 09:46 AM
That helps me too TatsuOni thanks for sharing! I really only have 2 ways I can secure my scarves well, so I'm adding yours to my repertoire :)

TatsuOni
March 23rd, 2019, 12:00 PM
That helps me too TatsuOni thanks for sharing! I really only have 2 ways I can secure my scarves well, so I'm adding yours to my repertoire :)

I'm glad that it helps :)

enting
March 25th, 2019, 11:32 AM
I like to wear a velvet headband under any scarves or fabric headbands I wear. Bobby pins rip my hair a bit so the velvet is easier on my hair. I think they're also sold under the name of "wig grip".
I often fold a square scarf over to make a headband shape and wear it like TatsuOni does, or I'll use a long rectangular scarf and wrap it around my head.

I think the youtube channel is gone now, but I used to watch TheStyleUnderground for hair covering styles. Wrapunzel is definitely a good resource too.

As far as what goes with jeans and a tee shirt, well, I kind of think that anything goes with that. Perhaps bejeweled and satin wraps might seem slightly out of place (but still do-able with the right personality), but anything cotton or viscose should work just fine.

milosmomma
March 25th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Thank you for the ideas enting, with summer and sun coming I will take as many as possible. The sun always lightens my hair significantly so I should make more an effort this round of growing to prevent that :)

Tinyponies
March 25th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Ahh this is so useful TatsuOni. Thank you!

I wear my scarf in the same way as you but I wasn’t sure what to do with the middle bit that pokes out the bottom. Now I can twist it into one of the side pieces!

lapushka
March 25th, 2019, 01:20 PM
I've been known to use a buff (dupes) as a headband. They are nice and comfy. This was at shorter lengths!

I don't use something to cover, at all. Due to my SD, it's not that good to do anyway!

Caerulea
March 25th, 2019, 03:57 PM
I recently got a batch of knock off buffs on Amazon in cute designs. They’re nice to keep back shorter sections of hair that I’m trying to grow out instead of bobby pins. I’ve also started using one at night as the satin sleep cap I got had an uncomfortable elastic. I think they’ll come in handy for outdoor sun/wind protection this summer.

enting
March 27th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Thank you for the ideas enting, with summer and sun coming I will take as many as possible. The sun always lightens my hair significantly so I should make more an effort this round of growing to prevent that :)

Sure thing! Another idea to protect hair from sun is to wear a hair wrap over a braid. That can be worn together with a wide headband or with a hat for greater protection. Bun covers may also be fun and are yet another idea to help switch up styles.

TatsuOni
March 27th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Ahh this is so useful TatsuOni. Thank you!

I wear my scarf in the same way as you but I wasn’t sure what to do with the middle bit that pokes out the bottom. Now I can twist it into one of the side pieces!

Happy to be of help :)

Tinyponies
March 27th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Loving my daily headscarf (now tied with tail tucked in thanks TatsuOni). I got mine from charity shop too, this is a silk one and wrapping the ends around the bun means it stays put no question. So comfy. Been doing a lot of dusty work lately and have no worries :)

Complete with shed regrowth peeking out:

https://i.imgur.com/qe3npPO.jpg

shaluwm_agape
April 1st, 2019, 10:08 PM
I wear my handmade snoods

Sarahlabyrinth
June 15th, 2019, 11:31 AM
I don't usually wear a daytime covering but tomorrow will be out in the sun for most of the day acting as steward in a cycle race, so might try this, a la TatsuOni: I bought this very silky feeling rectangular scarf today and I think my hair will like it. Free points for anyone spotting a Noodle in the photo :p

https://i.imgur.com/ASMVSkQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zOJFGzn.jpg

TatsuOni
June 15th, 2019, 12:58 PM
I don't usually wear a daytime covering but tomorrow will be out in the sun for most of the day acting as steward in a cycle race, so might try this, a la TatsuOni: I bought this very silky feeling rectangular scarf today and I think my hair will like it. Free points for anyone spotting a Noodle in the photo :p

It looks beautiful!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 15th, 2019, 01:00 PM
It looks beautiful!

Thank you :)

teeks
June 15th, 2019, 01:11 PM
I wish I could wear scarves comfortably.

Is the Noodle boxed?

Sarahlabyrinth
June 15th, 2019, 01:20 PM
I wish I could wear scarves comfortably.

Is the Noodle boxed?

Yes indeed:p

Zesty
June 19th, 2019, 09:22 AM
I have become more and more interested in hair covering and finally hit the tipping point over the weekend and actually ordered a velvet headband and a rectangular scarf from Wrapunzel to try. I will have to experiment with Tatsu's method, but I also really love the look where the bun is covered and then a scarf braid is wrapped around it. Covering seems like the most protective style possible and the more I look at pictures the prettier I think head scarves are.

I feel like I will get some weird reactions to it though. :rolleyes: But I figure if I worked my way up to not feeling self-conscious in my unusual hair toys, I should be able to do the same with wearing a scarf on occasion.