PDA

View Full Version : Others who are like me?

Stardreamer
March 20th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Intro: I have curly hair. Until I was 10 maybe, I wouldn't brush out my curls and I had short hair. When I was 11 I actually grew my hair from maybe ears (?) to shoulders. I would brush my curls as I didn't like them, thus my hair was super poofy. I didn't like my curls because I'd always had them, they made my hair shorter, I feel mad now looking back. I don't think my parents brushed/combed my curls. When I was 12, I had poofy hair (I had begun to brush my hair). I coped by either having my hair damp or having a bun. My school ID from when I was 12 shows me with extremely fluffy shoulder length hair... :doh:

I have stayed with the bun idea through to now, 16 yrs old. But I really need to do secure buns - I get annoyed when they are asymmetrical and slip out. There are some things that I like to be neat and tidy like my hair and my room, while my life is allowed to be more chaotic :P

Are there others who had poofy curly hair and wanted to put it up all the time... and get it out of their faces... because they don't really mind the feel of it down, but it's super annoying because it blows everywhere, poofs out in the wind, gets in your face and way. They feel like a bun is the best option, as they feel "down" styles like braids/ponytails are uncomfortable... Anyone agrees with me here? What have your experiences with annoying hair like this, been like?

Note: Anyone can contribute, no matter what their texture is.
Sorry if this is confusing

blackgothicdoll
March 20th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Girl yes. I embrace my texture a little more than I used to, but when I'm leaving the the house it is bunned and braided. To me, there are two sides to this coin, but I don't feel the need to tell anyone what do do with their hair. Side 1: you could always learn to embrace your curls. And of course Side 2: do what makes you happy!

Personally, I never wear my hair down curly, I don't think I have outside of when I first went natural and had maybe 4 or 5 inches of hair, so there wasn't much else I could do there haha. Otherwise I only straightened my hair - akin to you brushing your curls out, but way more damaging. For the last year, I've used buns. For me, a donut bun worked best and was great for my job - I'm sure it would look very cute on you because you can dress them up by adding velvet or other type scrunchies. Here's a tutorial:

https://youtu.be/i9A_qejLK04

Just be a little careful, I experienced breakage in the temples from when I would apply gel and use the BBB way too ferociously, but I was wearing it in the military and liked it to be immaculate. You can get it neat without being too violent. And don't tie it super tight either.

Anyhow, that was my go-to, they taught us how to wear these right after boot camp when we had hair above our collar, and I've been able to wear them at any other length just by varying the size of the donut (we used an old dress sock xD). So it really does the trick. I hope that helps. :)

meteor
March 20th, 2019, 07:13 PM
I also always wear hair in buns for purely practical reasons, because it's all over the place, getting into everything, if I try to leave it down even for a very short time. And even when I wore my hair "down", it was still in a half-up, ponytail and/or braid(s). If it's completely down, it works like blinkers on a horse, super-impractical, the thickness/texture/length combo is just too much for daily wear.

And yes, all the brushes I've tried completely poof my hair out, too (even the only one I use at this point - the Tangle Teezer specifically designed for "thick, curly, and Afro textured hair"), but wide-tooth wooden combs can work well without poofing out the hair too much. I find that oiling hair quite a bit (pre-poo oiling, oil rinses, some oiling on dry hair on ad-hoc basis), conditioning it heavily (including leave-ins) and not overwashing hair can help with controlling the poof. Also keeping hair braided and bunned helps smooth out the volume, but also definitely helps protect and immobilize hair for preventing tangles and damage.

milosmomma
March 20th, 2019, 08:19 PM
I'm just wavy but I agree with you 100%, I basically never wear my hair down and loose. Getting caught in glasses, stuck to your mouth if you have chapstick on, stuck under purse straps etc. I would rather have it safely tied away for convenience but also length retention and keeping my ends in good condition. I just recently trimmed after over a year of no trims and I attribute my being able to get away with that because of bunning. The trim was just to even out the hem line not even because it was bad condition.

ynne
March 20th, 2019, 08:48 PM
My hair isn't as curly and I did not know I made it worse with brushing, but other than that, my situation has some similarities! I brushed/combed my hair which made it more poofy and I did not (and still don't) know how to style it to define the waves and curls. Because of that, I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail/bun for many, many years. It's still my default choice! I am not used to a ponytail touching my neck anymore so buns became preferable and I also cannot stand asymmetrical hairstyles, I re-do it until it feels exactly right.

I'm hoping it will get better as I understand my hair more, but there's a long way ahead of me. Good luck with your hair!

Stardreamer
March 20th, 2019, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the answers guys ! I feel like I can relate to you all and I appreciate that you can relate to me :D Now I am wondering if brushing only makes my hair this fluffy...

Corvana
March 20th, 2019, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the answers guys ! I feel like I can relate to you all and I appreciate that you can relate to me :D Now I am wondering if brushing only makes my hair this fluffy...

If you have curls? Yes, absolutely. When you brush curls, you pull them out of their clumps that keep them neat, and you end up with tons of strands all wanting to be clumps but unable to go back into them. There's a thread somewhere around here for curlies who brush their hair for fun, and it ends up a big poof!

As for your original question, I do prefer to keep my hair up. I get annoyed when it gets in the way when I'm doing things. I'd rather not eat my hair :laugh: It's up in a bun probably 90% of the time now?

Stardreamer
March 20th, 2019, 11:19 PM
If you have curls? Yes, absolutely. When you brush curls, you pull them out of their clumps that keep them neat, and you end up with tons of strands all wanting to be clumps but unable to go back into them. There's a thread somewhere around here for curlies who brush their hair for fun, and it ends up a big poof!

As for your original question, I do prefer to keep my hair up. I get annoyed when it gets in the way when I'm doing things. I'd rather not eat my hair :laugh: It's up in a bun probably 90% of the time now?

Ah, I didn't really know why exactly curly hair does that, until now. Still, I rather not have curls - I want to get some hair sticks soon so I can begin to do better buns ^_^

blackgothicdoll
March 20th, 2019, 11:25 PM
This may be a silly question, but couldnt you stretch your hair enough to bun with the tension of your hands instead of brushing first? The brushing may create friction and lead to split ends or ssks (I think, I'm not completely sure).

milosmomma
March 20th, 2019, 11:49 PM
If you bun your hair for a while do your curls loosen up? My waves will go straight after being stretched. Maybe damp bunning will give you a looser texture?

ynne
March 21st, 2019, 05:17 AM
For me, putting my hair in a bun when it's still wet, but also braiding it when wet, does prevent the curls from properly forming, so I like milosmomma's suggestion! :) It's worth a try, anyways!

lapushka
March 21st, 2019, 07:20 AM
I would stop brushing your hair when it's dry. Only brush it out when wet, and slathered in conditioner, or after the wash, when it's out the towel, damp and before you style; and I *would* style.

Take a look at the LOC/LCO method on YT and here in my signature, for more information.

There is no reason why beautiful curly hair shouldn't be nice and defined!

Stardreamer
March 21st, 2019, 02:08 PM
This may be a silly question, but couldnt you stretch your hair enough to bun with the tension of your hands instead of brushing first? The brushing may create friction and lead to split ends or ssks (I think, I'm not completely sure).

I could, but then my curls would show in my bun, I think the curls would make my bun weird, uneven (I haven't tried this though).

Stardreamer
March 21st, 2019, 02:12 PM
If you bun your hair for a while do your curls loosen up? My waves will go straight after being stretched. Maybe damp bunning will give you a looser texture?

I sometimes put my hair in a temporary bun while it's drying, and that stretches out the curls a little. But I keep combing it while it's damp to make my hair less curly. It's a habit, combing makes my hair manageable for a bun. I want wavier/straighter hair so.. this is my way of getting it, even though I keep it up.

Aeonian
March 21st, 2019, 03:37 PM
Here is another curly with fluffy, poofy hair that doesn't want to behave. Like you, I grew up with shoulder length hair or a shaggy haircut, my mom didn't taught me how to take care of my curly hair, not because she was indifferent she just didn't know what to do because her parents never taught her and because she had no clue what to do with curls. I can remember washing my hair with SOAP! and no conditioner, she brushed my hair while wet and dry. Imagine the horrorshow on my head. When she got fed up with my hair she would bring me to a neighbour who would cut my hair in a very cute, short pixie. I have a picture of myself aged 15 with fluffy SL hair, still hadn't discovered conditioner because my family never used it (they still don't, but they have embraced shampoo) I always had SL hair or a pixie cut or something in between. When I was 17 I had midback hair, but still not discovered conditioner, only at age 19!! a dear friend introduced me to this lovely liquid when I was complaining about knots in my hair. I am forever grateful for her. :)

Stardreamer
March 21st, 2019, 04:30 PM
Here is another curly with fluffy, poofy hair that doesn't want to behave. Like you, I grew up with shoulder length hair or a shaggy haircut, my mom didn't taught me how to take care of my curly hair, not because she was indifferent she just didn't know what to do because her parents never taught her and because she had no clue what to do with curls. I can remember washing my hair with SOAP! and no conditioner, she brushed my hair while wet and dry. Imagine the horrorshow on my head. When she got fed up with my hair she would bring me to a neighbour who would cut my hair in a very cute, short pixie. I have a picture of myself aged 15 with fluffy SL hair, still hadn't discovered conditioner because my family never used it (they still don't, but they have embraced shampoo) I always had SL hair or a pixie cut or something in between. When I was 17 I had midback hair, but still not discovered conditioner, only at age 19!! a dear friend introduced me to this lovely liquid when I was complaining about knots in my hair. I am forever grateful for her. :)

Your story sounds horrifying, how you washed your hair with soap and how your hair had to be cut. I'm glad that you found the truth :o Washing with soap sounds like a nightmare, poor hair!

Corvana
March 21st, 2019, 04:40 PM
I sometimes put my hair in a temporary bun while it's drying, and that stretches out the curls a little. But I keep combing it while it's damp to make my hair less curly. It's a habit, combing makes my hair manageable for a bun. I want wavier/straighter hair so.. this is my way of getting it, even though I keep it up.

If I could trade you my texture, I would in a heartbeat! It's wavy for a day and then basically straight the rest of the time.

There's a blog post here: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=132074 on straightening your hair with no heat.

ynne
March 21st, 2019, 04:47 PM
I could, but then my curls would show in my bun, I think the curls would make my bun weird, uneven (I haven't tried this though).

If you look at it the other way, there are tons of people with straight/wavy hair who intentionally curl their hair first before putting it in an updo. :) So while it may be different from what you are used to, I'm certain there are many hairstyles that would look beautiful with (not despite) your curls! When/if you ever feel like it, it might be fun to experiment with, see if you grow to like it.

This is not backed up by anything but I would guess that combing your hair is less damaging than straightening it with heat, at least!

lapushka
March 21st, 2019, 05:16 PM

I missed this. I had no idea. I thought you wanted curl definition, hence my recommendation to not dry brush and such.

I would look into the no heat straightening, like Corvana suggested.

Stardreamer
March 22nd, 2019, 12:10 AM
Thank you all ~ I'm not going full-on with straighter hair techniques, I don't require it, I'm happiest with my curls brushed so that my hair is straigher and not in tight curls, if you get that.

JennGalt
March 22nd, 2019, 12:07 PM
I stretch my curls out to bun too. Otherwise I can’t get hair toys to stay in; curls = tangles and matting, and tangles are my number one source of damage these days; and uneven shrinkage is a massive PITA. My heatless straightening is a lot like yours, too: I put my hair in a comfortably tight bun to dry when it’s damp, but I usually add a silky scarf to help reduce frizz and encourage the disobedient stuff on top of my head to straighten.

I also prefer my hair brushed, partly because it’s so tangle prone, and partly because the aforementioned uneven shrinkage makes my unbrushed hair look so ragged.

StellaStellitsa
March 23rd, 2019, 07:34 AM
I had staight hair when little, but during puberty my hair became curly. I brushed my hair daily, both when wet and when dry which made it puffy. I didn't know any better. I did let my hair down completely and also in low ponytails, because it was heavy, and I didn't know about buns yet. I currently do comb my hair daily but I put it in a braid/plait. If I stretch my curls by combing I get way less tangles than plaiting/braiding with my hair curly. I still know little about buns though.

Stardreamer
March 23rd, 2019, 11:12 PM
I had staight hair when little, but during puberty my hair became curly. I brushed my hair daily, both when wet and when dry which made it puffy. I didn't know any better. I did let my hair down completely and also in low ponytails, because it was heavy, and I didn't know about buns yet. I currently do comb my hair daily but I put it in a braid/plait. If I stretch my curls by combing I get way less tangles than plaiting/braiding with my hair curly. I still know little about buns though.

It's strange that a person's hair can go from straight to curly! A very big jump there.

ynne
March 24th, 2019, 05:03 AM

It's strange that a person's hair can go from straight to curly! A very big jump there.

Mine did too, it was/is really difficult to adjust! It's like having to figure out everything all over again because what worked for smooth, silky hair (i.e. combing) is suddenly the hair's enemy.

Hairkay
March 25th, 2019, 12:08 PM
I used to brush my hair a lot in my teens and twenties. I also mistook curl clumps for knots. The confusion is because curls sizes and hair types vary on my head. At my hairline I have about an inch of 4a then it changes to 3c and even some 3b which brushes down smoothly to little waves. I do like curls but I wanted it all the same 3c/b look because that looks a bit neater. I brushed my hair to death to try to achieve this without resorting to straightening my hair. Eventually I realised that it's fine to have variety on one head and to go with the frizz. I put my brush aside. I let my curls clump and enjoy it all now. It's easier to work with the curls that you've got than to work against the curls.

Stardreamer
March 25th, 2019, 02:07 PM
I used to brush my hair a lot in my teens and twenties. I also mistook curl clumps for knots. The confusion is because curls sizes and hair types vary on my head. At my hairline I have about an inch of 4a then it changes to 3c and even some 3b which brushes down smoothly to little waves. I do like curls but I wanted it all the same 3c/b look because that looks a bit neater. I brushed my hair to death to try to achieve this without resorting to straightening my hair. Eventually I realised that it's fine to have variety on one head and to go with the frizz. I put my brush aside. I let my curls clump and enjoy it all now. It's easier to work with the curls that you've got than to work against the curls.

I like your perspective!

enting
March 28th, 2019, 04:24 AM
I like my hair curly, I like my hair combed and fluffy, I like it any which way (well, maybe not the triangle head look, I don't like it like that) but I cannot stand hair tickling my face and ears! Having it all down is sometimes less annoying than putting it up in a bun because then it's all one general sensation. When I put it up, all the wispies around my hairline dance free and tickle everything in reach. I usually wear a headband or scarf and that's partially to keep the tickling hairs back and away. I will say that leaving my hair down was much more annoying back when I wore lipgloss.

Hexen
March 28th, 2019, 04:57 AM
I apologize, for again, not being adept and able to engage in this conversation regarding various products and techniques.

But....the title of this thread, was just "Twilight Zone'y" enough... for me to have a gander.

....carry on... :)

I am #4.
March 28th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Of course...

I have and still cannot put my hair in a bun without twisting sections of hair up since wearing it naturally-- neither can my sister. I never really wear it down (i.e. wash and go) as a result since my head overheats with it in my face and by my neck.

But I really do not mind it that much since I prefer to wear a protective style and then bun it anyways. I have never had added hair, so I am not sure. Twists are fine if done "well". And I have not used a ponytail since I had my hair straight! So, yeah, I can agree to an extent, but annoying is kind of over the top since I do not have unrealistic expectations about my hair.

You can try a crown braid on the sides and merely bun the section in the back up to make a nice-sized bun... but trying to get all of your hair in a bun whilst combating shrinkage and gravity-defying hair is not worth it if you ask me.

lapushka
March 28th, 2019, 11:28 AM

I had 1b/c hair, then puberty hit and I came out 2b/c. Hormones can do that to someone!

BerrySara
March 28th, 2019, 12:48 PM

I completely agree with you Hairkay, much easier and more enjoyable to work with the curls than to work against the curls - sadly took me forever to get to this conclusion though. Less damaging and far healthier if you avoid heat straightening, brushing out curls on dry hair, chemical straighteners etc. Plus it IS its own look. Trying to beat it into looking like a different hair texture will only at best resemble something else, but leave it to its own and it shines/thrives because well it is in its natural state.

At least that has been my experience with my texture of hair. Of course I know it can vary greatly depending from person to person.

Wendyclaire
March 28th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Yup, my hair is curly wavy about waist length. I don’t bun or braid. It’s down unless it’s bedtime, I put it up is a dorky looking bun thingee to be able to sleep, ponytail when I’m the kitchen or cleaning. Or a side ponytail sometimes if out and about. Buns don’t agree with me so I don’t know about that.

Stardreamer
March 28th, 2019, 11:19 PM
Yup, my hair is curly wavy about waist length. I don’t bun or braid. It’s down unless it’s bedtime, I put it up is a dorky looking bun thingee to be able to sleep, ponytail when I’m the kitchen or cleaning. Or a side ponytail sometimes if out and about. Buns don’t agree with me so I don’t know about that.

Can I see pics?

Simsy
March 29th, 2019, 02:17 AM
As a curly who is self taught for the most part; braids and buns became my best friend. I don’t like what my hair does when it’s loose. It curls around everything, locs up its own ringlets, dries out the length (then gets super oily just for giggles), and generally just causes itself and me hours of pain and struggle. We eventually came to the mutual agreement that we would both be happier if it was restrained in some fashion at all times. There were tears, it was a very distressing discussion for everyone.

My hair is either braided or bunned at all times. Braids keep the ringlets from getting all involved with each other and everything else. The braids do cause some damage along the length, the tassel tends to dry out without manually oiling it; but overall, the braids work as a method of generally controlling everything.

Bun, on the other hand, are my personal go-to these days. Even a loose bun keeps everything tidy and on the leash. After a couple of days, I’ll even start to lose the curl pattern and the lenght will settle into almost a 1c pattern. The buns don’t have to be tight, and I still only need to brush every 2nd day at a minimum. Cinnibuns are brushed out at least twice a day; see above about natural locing and feel the pain of that little discovery with me.

From my own experience learning how to get a grip on curls; moisture will do more to settle the poof than almost anything else. I found soaking my head in conditioner was the big one; you might also have luck with products to help lock that moisture in. I personally go mad with oils; gels and creams just don’t play nice. Combining your hair while damp-wet will also tame the poof drastically; a hair brush is not your friend if you’re trying to calm things down. I can get away with dry combing after about day 2; once the curls have been stretched mostly out.

You don’t need to scrape everything back into updos to keep the weird bits at bay. I use my comb or fingers to pull everything into a ponytail, but I don’t tie that pony off. I bun directly off my hand because I find my hair is a bit happier with that loose starting patch. A few twists while bunning are generally enough to tuck everything in neatly. Hairsticks and forks are really good for restraining this bun; if you’re having trouble finding sticks, try chopsticks from the nearest Chinese restaurant. Just sand them down a little to smooth any problems.