PDA

View Full Version : have you ever used a miraculous treatment?

hollygolightly
March 19th, 2019, 06:01 PM
I've seen a lot of youtubers claiming something made their hair grow like 1-2 inches in a month or even a week and since this is the place with the greatest hair knowledge and experience i've ever seen I was wondering if anyone here had this kind of hair growth results using oils, rice water, inversion method, scalp massages, etc

Ylva
March 19th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Oh, goodness no.

The closest thing to a miraculous treatment to me was Olaplex, but that has nothing to do with growth but general improvement in hair quality. Even that can't conquer everything, though.

AmaryllisRed
March 19th, 2019, 06:16 PM
I just don't believe it.
Maybe it's possible to grow a half inch overnight from rice water or something, but like... I'm just as likely to mis-measure by a half inch, you know?
To each their own, but I'm not spending time and money on such things.

littlestarface
March 19th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Okay so say one found this miracle treatment and hair grew 2 inches in a week, and then what? Does it keep growing 2 inches each week every time one does the treatment? If that's so then why isn't anyone growing to extreme lengths super fast? I don't believe it. Do you know how long it takes us or even just me to get hair this long with it being healthy and not breaking or split ends? It takes a lot of work, care and time. I don't believe anyone especially someone with short hair who says "my hair grew half an inch overnight" ya right lol. So did it only grow that half an inch in that night and then it stopped growing after that.

The only thing that I can say is a miracle treatment is when it does your hair some good like strengthening,adds moisture,protein etc..

meteor
March 19th, 2019, 06:30 PM
I don't think "miraculous" treatments exist, but then again - I think it's about the exaggerated claim and overselling potential benefits rather than the actual treatment. For example, scalp massages are mentioned in the original post, and I've done those, but I just don't think there is anything miraculous to expect from that. Just a temporarily improved blood circulation in that area, relaxation and possibly moving around sebum/slight variation on scritching, which can have marginal effect. Oils that are mentioned in the OP can be sometimes useful too for protecting hair, "sealing" (occlusion), adding elasticity, preventing a bit of damage from washing & detangling... that can be beneficial to the condition of hair, but I wouldn't call that "miraculous" either.
"Miraculous" is sometimes used to describe a claim that's oversold or, alternatively, something that's not entirely understood.

MusicalSpoons
March 19th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Miraculous in terms of how hair feels, sort of, yes (deep conditiong, oiling, etc). Miraculous in terms of growth, only this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ciMuVhDXA

;)

meteor
March 19th, 2019, 06:32 PM
^ Ha-ha, I've always loved that video! Best hair product EVER! :D

Natalia_A00
March 19th, 2019, 07:16 PM
I used fermented rice water (the holy grail of all youtubers) and I can't say it did anything for my hair lol, altough I haven't used it regularly
But I've found that fermented rice water leaves my skin very smooth

Aunt Rapunzel
March 19th, 2019, 07:16 PM
I've seen those ads, too, claiming SUPER fast growth...One of them claimed that they'd gotten the serum (it's basically fermented rice water) from a village of women who sell their hair yearly to make a living. They claimed that the women of this village would grow their hair 18" a year, and sell it. There was a particle of truth to their claims. The women in this village DID have long, beautiful hair...and they did cut their hair. But that's where the truth ends. The women did NOT (obviously) grow their hair 18" a year. And they never sold it. They would grow their hair from birth until they turned 18, and then they would have their hair ceremoniously cut, signifying their stepping into adulthood. And they never cut their hair again. ANYway...the company had intentionally lied about the women selling their hair to make a living and about how fast their hair grew, so it was pretty clear to me that they couldn't be trusted to be honest about their product, either. My hair does REALLY like rice water, but it doesn't make my hair grow 2" in a week.

Natalia_A00
March 19th, 2019, 07:24 PM
There are good and very moisturizing hair masks, but I think that's the end of it. Whenever I see a video saying something like "my hair grew 10 cm in one week!!! Amazing!!" I'm like... And you expect me to believe that? Usually what they do is apply coconut oil or some other basic routine to their hair lol And those natural masks with egg, mayo, beer, rice water, oils...
The thing is, the girls in those videos just have beautiful hair genetically. The mask only helps to moisturize a little bit.

hollygolightly
March 19th, 2019, 08:08 PM
I tried the inversion method and it gave me pretty good results (1cm in one week) but i've seen some overnight growth videos and they show really good treatments for the quality of the hair (oiling and rice water) so I wouldn't totally reject them but the hair growth part seems fake to me

Okay so say one found this miracle treatment and hair grew 2 inches in a week, and then what? Does it keep growing 2 inches each week every time one does the treatment? If that's so then why isn't anyone growing to extreme lengths super fast? I don't believe it. Do you know how long it takes us or even just me to get hair this long with it being healthy and not breaking or split ends? It takes a lot of work, care and time. I don't believe anyone especially someone with short hair who says "my hair grew half an inch overnight" ya right lol. So did it only grow that half an inch in that night and then it stopped growing after that.

The only thing that I can say is a miracle treatment is when it does your hair some good like strengthening,adds moisture,protein etc..

they say a lot of this treatments shouldn't be done more than once in a while because the scalp starts to get used to it

littlestarface
March 19th, 2019, 08:14 PM
I tried the inversion method and it gave me pretty good results (1cm in one week) but i've seen some overnight growth videos and they show really good treatments for the quality of the hair (oiling and rice water) so I wouldn't totally reject them but the hair growth part seems fake to me

they say a lot of this treatments shouldn't be done more than once in a while because the scalp starts to get used to it

That makes no sense to me at all. So is it how I said then, the hair supposedly grows fast one time and then stops growing?

hollygolightly
March 19th, 2019, 08:28 PM

That makes no sense to me at all. So is it how I said then, the hair supposedly grows fast one time and then stops growing?

it doesn't stop growing, it just goes back to its normal rate

blackgothicdoll
March 19th, 2019, 08:28 PM
I've seen those ads, too, claiming SUPER fast growth...One of them claimed that they'd gotten the serum (it's basically fermented rice water) from a village of women who sell their hair yearly to make a living. They claimed that the women of this village would grow their hair 18" a year, and sell it. There was a particle of truth to their claims. The women in this village DID have long, beautiful hair...and they did cut their hair. But that's where the truth ends. The women did NOT (obviously) grow their hair 18" a year. And they never sold it. They would grow their hair from birth until they turned 18, and then they would have their hair ceremoniously cut, signifying their stepping into adulthood. And they never cut their hair again. ANYway...the company had intentionally lied about the women selling their hair to make a living and about how fast their hair grew, so it was pretty clear to me that they couldn't be trusted to be honest about their product, either. My hair does REALLY like rice water, but it doesn't make my hair grow 2" in a week.

You know what makes me mad about rice water? People are literally letting rice water rot and pouring it on their head, because these women did it. What they don't seem to realize is that the only reason the women did this was to not waste water. Whether it was fermented or not was depending on how old the water was when it was time to wash their hair, but they were not doing it for hair growth, it was literally just less wasteful.

Like you said, their hair was long because they never cut it. They also don't use any sort of heat or rough manipulation, so what else is going to happen? It's just going to grow. And then people out there start pouring moldy water on their hair thinking that's gonna help.

Same thing with chebe. It's dirt and seeds. If you cover your hair in mud, braid it up and don't even touch it, yes, it's going to grow long. But it's not going to suddenly grow long because you used a conditioner with some 'chebe' in it.

And that's why YouTube makes me mad. I haven't even got started yet but it's almost my bedtime. LOL. In summary, most of this stuff is clickbait and b.s.

blackgothicdoll
March 19th, 2019, 08:30 PM

Ok, so they claim 1 inch a month, which even with that logic is 12 inches a year. Have any of them shown it? I've absolutely never seen truth and I one point I spent HOURs trying to find and HONEST inversion method video. I couldn't do it. :/

Patience is really it. Or pregnancy, apparently hair grows really fast when you're pregnant, but then you're gonna need 18 years of patience. :D

littlestarface
March 19th, 2019, 08:53 PM

So doing it will be just for a one time "growth spurt" its no good for long time hair health/growth then.

Khristopher
March 19th, 2019, 11:59 PM
You know what makes me mad about rice water? People are literally letting rice water rot and pouring it on their head, because these women did it. What they don't seem to realize is that the only reason the women did this was to not waste water. Whether it was fermented or not was depending on how old the water was when it was time to wash their hair, but they were not doing it for hair growth, it was literally just less wasteful.

Like you said, their hair was long because they never cut it. They also don't use any sort of heat or rough manipulation, so what else is going to happen? It's just going to grow. And then people out there start pouring moldy water on their hair thinking that's gonna help.

Same thing with chebe. It's dirt and seeds. If you cover your hair in mud, braid it up and don't even touch it, yes, it's going to grow long. But it's not going to suddenly grow long because you used a conditioner with some 'chebe' in it.

And that's why YouTube makes me mad. I haven't even got started yet but it's almost my bedtime. LOL. In summary, most of this stuff is clickbait and b.s.
Hey, with all due respect, please don't throw sh*t like that. I use fermented rice water, it's not moldy, it does condition my hair and obviously works for these women, as it does for me, if not they would be using something else to rinse their hair. Even if it didn't do anything, it's their tradition. Would you like it if I talked like you did about something seemingly useless that your grandmother did everyday? I'm guessing not.
It's true some youtubers sell smoke and magic, many use normal stuff that works for their lies just because it makes the lies more believable for naive people. I'm not defending them, I don't like them either. But please think about how you word your thoughts.

blackgothicdoll
March 20th, 2019, 12:09 AM
Hey, with all due respect, please don't throw sh*t like that. I use fermented rice water, it's not moldy, it does condition my hair and obviously works for these women, as it does for me, if not they would be using something else to rinse their hair. Even if it didn't do anything, it's their tradition. Would you like it if I talked like you did about something seemingly useless that your grandmother did everyday? I'm guessing not.
It's true some youtubers sell smoke and magic, many use normal stuff that works for their lies just because it makes the lies more believable for naive people. I'm not defending them, I don't like them either. But please think about how you word your thoughts.

That response was uncalled for. I never said the women are using moldy water, I specifically stated they recycle their water as to not waste it. Now the people who watch these videos end up letting their water sit for weeks, even months, without considering the variables of where that technique originated from and why it's being done.

I guess I could have separated those thoughts better, but I thought it was pretty clear that my frustration was at people doing this at home in mason jars at room temperature, which could absolutely lead to bacterial overgrowth if left for too long.

Yeah, if you told me my grandmother should not have mopped the floor by pouring bleach in a toilet bowl and using it as her mop bucket, I wouldn't argue with you. *shrug*

Eta: to be clear, I would have no reason to be against something the yao and chebe women do. My initial post was referring to the incorrect use of these techniques due to being overhyped and incorrectly explained on YT.

HaIr_freak
March 20th, 2019, 07:30 AM
I know this sounds like a joke, but honestly the thing that has made my hair seem longer to me....which is really the issue...has been appreciating my current length and how far I've come. Just feeling the gratitude and remembering where I was, looking at older pictures. My hair for me has been a metaphor for commitment to something, its hard for me to feel like I am consistent and my hair is a visual reminder.

So although this is kind of a "zen" answer....and whether it is perception or not. Appreciating my current hair makes it seem lush and long to me. hah. :)

MsPharaohMoan
March 20th, 2019, 10:23 AM
omg blackgothicdoll, that's too funny. There's a business model for those ladies, bottle their stagnant water and sell it!

Lady Stardust
March 20th, 2019, 11:24 AM
I know this sounds like a joke, but honestly the thing that has made my hair seem longer to me....which is really the issue...has been appreciating my current length and how far I've come. Just feeling the gratitude and remembering where I was, looking at older pictures. My hair for me has been a metaphor for commitment to something, its hard for me to feel like I am consistent and my hair is a visual reminder.

So although this is kind of a "zen" answer....and whether it is perception or not. Appreciating my current hair makes it seem lush and long to me. hah. :)

I love this answer :) Your hair looks beautiful in your profile pic!

HaIr_freak
March 20th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Aw thanks! ^_^
- hehe yea its the next best thing to patience :D