PDA

View Full Version : Brush/comb?

catoala
March 19th, 2019, 04:25 PM

Ylva
March 19th, 2019, 04:31 PM
I think it's fine as long as you are very gentle indeed. :)

gingerninja
March 19th, 2019, 04:37 PM
What is the paddle brush made of? Are the bristles intact and have they got plastic balls on top?

lapushka
March 19th, 2019, 04:41 PM
I use a Wet brush (dupe) for detangling the hair once it comes out the towel (I leave a microfiber turban on the hair for 30 minutes post washing). Then I detangle, and then I style my hair.

I think if you are gentle enough, it's fine.

I have stopped using my wide tooth comb as I found that my Tangle Teezer (dupe) and Wet brush (dupe) did a far better job. As long as you don't hear snapping and are gentle with knots (not ripping through), it's fine.

I even find my brushes far gentler than my comb ever was.

But a lot also depends on the kind of brush, like gingerninja already mentions.

ETA/ Welcome to the forum, BTW! :D

lithostoic
March 19th, 2019, 05:05 PM
I like the wet brush because its bristles are flexible! As long as you are brushing slowly, you can feel the knot, and decide if you want to pull it apart with your fingers. Don't have that luxury with a comb.

milosmomma
March 19th, 2019, 05:35 PM
I agree that if you are gentle it shouldn't cause damage unless you can feel sharp seams or a defect of some sort. I have a wooden paddle brush that I adore, it's fairly new so I'm still learning that I have to be gentler with it than with tangle teezer or wetbrush which have been my go tos. I don't think a comb is even a necessity or long hair care as long as you have a good gentle way to detangle that is the most important. I do have some combs that I like to use though, one in the shower with conditioner(only time Iuse it) and a wooded for spreading oils. I could live without both combs but not without my wooden brush, tangle teezer or wet brush, but I would only need one trusty tool for detangling.

FennFire911
March 19th, 2019, 07:01 PM
I really love my Tangle Teaser knock-off for those moments that I want to brush instead of comb. You have to really pay attention to the bristles when you buy one though. Some are softer than others, and I like the softer ones.

meteor
March 19th, 2019, 07:11 PM
I think a lot depends on the kind of brush you use and how exactly you use it. As soon as you feel some resistance, stop and undo the tangle with fingers and other tools, patiently and maybe use some detangling (e.g. cone-y) product that works for your hair. And if you encounter a lot of resistance frequently, maybe the bristles are too dense or too inflexible for your hair.

Personally, I really like the Tangle Teezer ("Thick and Curly" edition with firmflex technology and slightly longer bristles), but it does cause some static and can still break hair if I'm in a rush, and I do need to section a lot. The detangling technique and being careful and patient are really important.

Natalia_A00
March 19th, 2019, 07:14 PM
If your hair is not fragile and prone to split ends I think it will be fine as long as you brush carefully. I like brushes too, it's easier to detangle my hair with them and it looks smoother, but I have to avoid them because I think they cause a lot of breakage in my hair :(

Natalia_A00
March 19th, 2019, 07:14 PM
People usually recommend boar bristle brushes. I'm planning on getting one

MusicalSpoons
March 19th, 2019, 07:37 PM
People usually recommend boar bristle brushes. I'm planning on getting one

Absolutely do not attempt to detangle with a BBB! :tmi: they're for smoothing and distributing oils (in theory, if your hair plays nicely with one) but you need to have completely and thoroughly detangled before you use it. They will destroy your hair if you try to get it through a tangle.

OP I use a comb because I find I can control it more easily, stopping as soon as I feel any resistance and separating the strands with my fingers before I continue. I use my brush (Denman) once I've thoroughly detangled if I want it smooth (e.g. for a length shot) - but plenty of people find brushes work well for them, so it's entirely possible to be fine if you have a brush your hair likes and you are careful :)

Natalia_A00
March 19th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Absolutely do not attempt to detangle with a BBB! :tmi: they're for smoothing and distributing oils (in theory, if your hair plays nicely with one) but you need to have completely and thoroughly detangled before you use it. They will destroy your hair if you try to get it through a tangle.

OP I use a comb because I find I can control it more easily, stopping as soon as I feel any resistance and separating the strands with my fingers before I continue. I use my brush (Denman) once I've thoroughly detangled if I want it smooth (e.g. for a length shot) - but plenty of people find brushes work well for them, so it's entirely possible to be fine if you have a brush your hair likes and you are careful :)

oof thank you! I didn't know about that. I've heard that they were used to distribute the natural oils of your hair, but I didn't know they weren't good for detangling! :eek:

Spikey
March 19th, 2019, 07:57 PM

While I know this is true for the majority of LHCers, my favorite detangler is my BBB. It has really, really soft/flexible bristles, and I've found that for detangling my fine, poofy hair, it's a lot better than a comb. To detangle, I start from the very, very bottom and work my way up, and if I hit a big knot my brush can't untangle, the bristles are flexible enough to skim over the knot rather than ripping through it. The key is to brush against my hand so the hair feeds into my brush correctly.

I have the same issues with combs that you have with BBBs MusicalSpoons! Combs rip through my knots while my BBB is slow and gentle enough that I feel a snag, stop and take out the knot. Though, it still is a brush designed for smoothing so it only detangles the top layer of my hair, so I need to brush the underside seperately:p. It really depends on your brush.

Groovy Granny
March 19th, 2019, 09:19 PM
I love my Vented Wet Brush with BBB/mixed bristles.
It detangles gently and also allows the BBB to penetrate better so you get a double benefit.
https://www.amazon.com/Kaiercat-Brush-Best-Detangling-Drying-100-Distribution/dp/B01IHRYEJU/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_7?keywords=kaiercat+vented+wet+b rush+with+boar+bristles&qid=1553051972&s=gateway&sr=8-7-fkmrnull
I also have a plain bristle (no BBB) vented wet brush for the shower or a quick detangle.
https://www.amazon.com/Wet-Brush-Epic-Professional-Quick/dp/B079DJSMJL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2UJQBNTJN734X&keywords=vented+wet+brush+pro&qid=1553052076&s=gateway&sprefix=vented+wet+brush+%2Caps%2C248&sr=8-3
I do have a regular Conair BBB that I use in Winter when my hair is dry/flyaway.

catoala
March 20th, 2019, 07:11 AM
What is the paddle brush made of? Are the bristles intact and have they got plastic balls on top?

It's plastic - yes with balls on top and the bristles are intact. It is very good. I know some LHCers don't like that part; '' balls on top '' but... I don't see any issue with it. ;)

lapushka
March 20th, 2019, 07:49 AM
It's plastic - yes with balls on top and the bristles are intact. It is very good. I know some LHCers don't like that part; '' balls on top '' but... I don't see any issue with it. ;)

My Wet brush (dupe) & the "real" Wet brush also have balls on top. I used to really oppose that, but the Wet brush is so good on damp hair it is a game changer and I don't mind the balls at all on that one. The bristles are really really flexible.

Why not give it a go? I'm not forcing you but if by change you are in need of a new brush, you could give that one a go... maybe? ;)

Ylva
March 20th, 2019, 07:53 AM

My only issue with "balls on top" is the darn lint that I can't for the life of me get rid of :D

catoala
March 20th, 2019, 08:23 AM
Lapushka, is that an ad? hahah :D Thank you, I have heard about the Wet Brush. It looks very pretty too...

Thank you a lot! I was quite worried so to speak but it's probably fine.

lapushka
March 20th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Lapushka, is that an ad? hahah :D Thank you, I have heard about the Wet Brush. It looks very pretty too...

Thank you a lot! I was quite worried so to speak but it's probably fine.

Of course not. :lol: No that is my "trouble" with my wide tooth comb I once had (but you won't remember that as you haven't been here long enough). I needed to use really moisturizing conditioners upon a time (and I use them twice) just to get my comb to go through. And the Wet brush (dupe) solves this for me. I can now use up my stash and no longer have to watch what I use. That is how "amazing" this brush is for me. Just my experience with it. Nothing more. ;)

catoala
March 20th, 2019, 11:03 AM
Of course not. :lol: No that is my "trouble" with my wide tooth comb I once had (but you won't remember that as you haven't been here long enough). I needed to use really moisturizing conditioners upon a time (and I use them twice) just to get my comb to go through. And the Wet brush (dupe) solves this for me. I can now use up my stash and no longer have to watch what I use. That is how "amazing" this brush is for me. Just my experience with it. Nothing more. ;)

I find (seamless) combs very damaging.. I have used them before, despite being really gentle. So much breakage. :( But I fixed it thankfully so now it's very good.

lapushka
March 20th, 2019, 12:14 PM
I find (seamless) combs very damaging.. I have used them before, despite being really gentle. So much breakage. :( But I fixed it thankfully so now it's very good.

Yes I had much more issues with the comb than I do with the brushes I use on wash day (Tangle Teezer + Wet brush - 2 dupes of the real product actually, I find they work just as well). I have had an original TT for over 10 years (then it gave up on me), and do have a new one right now, but I grab for the dupe more as the bristles are a little "stiffer" and seem to work a little better. Did have to get rid of one last week, though, it gave up on me as well. Suppose it's not so bad when a dupe gives out. I have plenty of back-ups (what else is new with me). LOL.

Trust me, you'll get to know me. :p

catoala
March 20th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Yes I had much more issues with the comb than I do with the brushes I use on wash day (Tangle Teezer + Wet brush - 2 dupes of the real product actually, I find they work just as well). I have had an original TT for over 10 years (then it gave up on me), and do have a new one right now, but I grab for the dupe more as the bristles are a little "stiffer" and seem to work a little better. Did have to get rid of one last week, though, it gave up on me as well. Suppose it's not so bad when a dupe gives out. I have plenty of back-ups (what else is new with me). LOL.

Trust me, you'll get to know me. :p

I have seen you on many threads (as a guest) and you have amazing hair too. ;)

lapushka
March 20th, 2019, 01:19 PM
I have seen you on many threads (as a guest) and you have amazing hair too. ;)

Aw, you are so sweet! :)

It's growing. Currently FTL and an inch and a little bit over. Every inch counts! LOL!

Anyway happy posting & growing to you, catoala!

catoala
March 20th, 2019, 01:30 PM
I'm aching for waist lenght already, GRR. Thank you.

Zesty
March 20th, 2019, 02:50 PM
I'm echoing what others have said, but I think the flexible bristles on a brush work better for my hair than a comb. I hear snaps with a comb because I can't stop in time when it hits a tangle. I don't have that problem with my brushes -- I can easily feel that there's a tangle and am able to remove the brush and undo the tangle with my fingers. Lately I use a Tek wooden brush because it feels nice on my scalp and gets my hair very smooth, but I also like the Tangle Teezer pretty well.

SurprisingWoman
March 20th, 2019, 10:13 PM

I use a vented, flat, ball tipped brush from the dollar store. Dollar Tree to be exact. This is my third one. If it starts losing it's balls, I get a new one but I have had this one for a while. They always lose their handles for some reason. Too much torque? I was going to use my wide tooth comb tonight after shampooing but I forgot my comb still had coconut oil on it so I grabbed my brush instead.

Use what works for you. We are all different and trying to find our own path. What works for some, won't work for others but don't be scared to stay with something that works for you just because someone else doesn't like it. I have NEVER found a BBB that would go through my hair. I don't like tangle teasers, I can feel the bristles bending and not really doing anything. I personally love spending a $1 on a brush that works for months vs $$$$ on something that works for months.

You be you. This site is a great resource but your best resource is your hair and how it reacts to what you are doing.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7908/46708879424_224db624ab_q.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eavdxj)20190320_220613 (https://flic.kr/p/2eavdxj) by SurprisingWoman (https://www.flickr.com/photos/87407543@N00/), on Flickr

milosmomma
March 20th, 2019, 11:52 PM
I like dollar tree brushes as well. They have a tangle teezer knock off that I use interchangeable with my actual tt and kind of prefer because it has a handle. Surprising woman, that one looks like a vented wet brush dupe

SurprisingWoman
March 21st, 2019, 11:44 AM
I like dollar tree brushes as well. They have a tangle teezer knock off that I use interchangeable with my actual tt and kind of prefer because it has a handle. Surprising woman, that one looks like a vented wet brush dupe

Good to know! Thanks for the info. I wondered what a wet brush was but didn't care enough to research it since I liked what I was doing. Hmmph, I was doing it all along. hahahaha

I will check out their tangle teezer. I am glad to see there is another Dollar Tree lover in the house.

lapushka
March 22nd, 2019, 10:07 AM
Good to know! Thanks for the info. I wondered what a wet brush was but didn't care enough to research it since I liked what I was doing. Hmmph, I was doing it all along. hahahaha

I will check out their tangle teezer. I am glad to see there is another Dollar Tree lover in the house.

I don't use the original Wet brush. The one I use is called "shower brush" and it looks to be exactly the same thing. I buy it for €1 at my local discounter. They used to be €1.49, but came down in price - they are really popular. And great quality. And you can't go wrong for €1!

meteor
March 22nd, 2019, 12:35 PM
I worry a bit about quality differences between specific brushes actually, including knockoffs... For example, I've seen people mention that they can use the "real" Tangle Teezer for years, but their knockoffs get those bent/frayed bristles right away, plus I've checked bristles on knockoffs up close and they were way softer and bendier than the ones on my Thick & Curly Tangle Teezer. In fact, I've noticed how some of the bristles don't seem to come back into original shape right away if I put a bit of extra pressure on them... And so I do worry about what it may mean for hair... possibly micro splits/cracks scratching strands on microscopic level without even noticing maybe?... :hmm:
I think there are so many different brushes, it may be hard to find the better ones without trying them out and really paying close attention to how the hair reacts (especially potential increase in split ends and breakage).

milosmomma
March 22nd, 2019, 04:53 PM
I worry a bit about quality differences between specific brushes actually, including knockoffs... For example, I've seen people mention that they can use the "real" Tangle Teezer for years, but their knockoffs get those bent/frayed bristles right away, plus I've checked bristles on knockoffs up close and they were way softer and bendier than the ones on my Thick & Curly Tangle Teezer. In fact, I've noticed how some of the bristles don't seem to come back into original shape right away if I put a bit of extra pressure on them... And so I do worry about what it may mean for hair... possibly micro splits/cracks scratching strands on microscopic level without even noticing maybe?... :hmm:
I think there are so many different brushes, it may be hard to find the better ones without trying them out and really paying close attention to how the hair reacts (especially potential increase in split ends and breakage).

I am positive some knock offs are worse than others, I have seen some things I would never even brush a hedgehog with! But, I like dollar tree because I can check it out before I buy it for seams, hardness etc. I actually notice my real tangle teezers and far more bent(not thick and curly versions). I have 2 reals, and just one is older than the knock offs, not by much but both are way more curved. The knock offs I get are actually firmer which is probably the explaination or it could be that I have 3 so use is divided up between more brushes. I will admit a lot of dollar store products have horrible seams but you have to inspect them before purchasing. Dollar store wide tooth combs are usually horrible except one version I've found (https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/conair-styling-essentials-detangling-comb/ID=prod6110210-product?ext=gooKBM_PLA_-_All_Products&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6097378&sst=_k_Cj0KCQjwj9LkBRDnARIsAGQ-hUfb4wxt_HUdELAcm3voCRUYLgTdt7JicCV69v4B_z8pGNq2Yo Idi3waArseEALw_wcB_k_&gclid=Cj0KCQjwj9LkBRDnARIsAGQ-hUfb4wxt_HUdELAcm3voCRUYLgTdt7JicCV69v4B_z8pGNq2Yo Idi3waArseEALw_wcB ) It's from a discount store(dollar general, even though i think thats a walgreen's link) not an actual dollar tree and it has some slight seaming but has been fine, no mechanical damage and any bad seams can always be filed away for free. Recently I've got some wooden items so I'm going to be giving them my full attention but still love the dollar tree TTs :lol:
I think the key is just really inspecting it and imagining "is this going to snag/ scrape along my strands" and if it passes the visual test take it home and try and if you hear snappy noises feel tugging etc then use it for a pet brush, try and file it, or just trash it, it was just a dollar. :)

catoala
March 22nd, 2019, 04:56 PM

I don't know where are you, but Europe is filled with stores that have brush dupes especially. Here you can walk in and find anything. In my case, I have a TT dupe that worked nicely for my wet hair. Still in perfect shape, despite not being original. ;)

lapushka
March 22nd, 2019, 05:26 PM

I did have to throw my TT dupe out quicker than my original TT, but it's a "dupe". It costs like a fraction, for that price you can stock-up and have a new one at the ready right quick.

My TT dupe is just as good as my TT "in use". I don't see differences there, and that is where it counts.

Same with the Wet brush. I wouldn't know what the original WB is like, this one will do just fine, after all, I have no issues with it.

meteor
March 22nd, 2019, 07:03 PM
Thanks a lot, milosmomma, catoala and lapushka. :flowers:

I am positive some knock offs are worse than others, I have seen some things I would never even brush a hedgehog with! But, I like dollar tree because I can check it out before I buy it for seams, hardness etc.
[...]
I think the key is just really inspecting it and imagining "is this going to snag/ scrape along my strands" and if it passes the visual test take it home and try and if you hear snappy noises feel tugging etc then use it for a pet brush, try and file it, or just trash it, it was just a dollar. :)

^ I think this is really good advice. :agree: I definitely think it's important to check for seams, smoothness, density and firmness of bristles carefully before buying... I don't like ordering detangling tools online for this reason. Too much difference between photos and reality and real chance of manufacturing flaws on individual items, even if the overall design is pretty good...