PDA

View Full Version : Buns... Questions??

Stardreamer
March 17th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Hi, I got some questions to do with buns. :cool:

1) What is the most secure bun you have done, or know of?
2) Can you make any bun by just using a hair stick/toy with no hairtie?
3) Which buns work really well with just a hair toy?
4) What, in your opinion, is the best-looking bun?
5) Which is your favourite bun and why?

Nineteenbirds
March 17th, 2019, 11:06 PM
Hi, Stardreamer, here are my answers: My most secure bun is a disc bun. Never falls down and is so comfortable I forget all about it. I never use a hairtie, just a stick or a 2-prong fork. I also like a lazy wrap bun, but it doesn't always stay up - it depends on how many days it's been since I washed my hair. But I think a LWB looks really nice when it works, and it's my favorite bun for now. Until I figure out something else!

What about you?

Corvana
March 17th, 2019, 11:11 PM
1) What is the most secure bun you have done, or know of? Now, it's the lazy wrap bun (LWB). Before maybe mid-back length, it was the disc bun!
2) Can you make any bun by just using a hair stick/toy with no hairtie? As far as I know yeah. All the ones I've tried, at least!
3) Which buns work really well with just a hair toy? Most of them. Sometimes you might need a fork instead of a stick, or a couple of sticks, but otherwise most buns that people use on LHC can be done with a hair stick.
4) What, in your opinion, is the best-looking bun? Couldn't choose, honestly! They're all lovely in their own ways.
5) Which is your favourite bun and why? Probably LWB because I'm lazy and it takes all of four seconds to do.

Crystawni
March 17th, 2019, 11:33 PM
Celtic Knot, Pha bun and Disc bun (split is even better).

Yup, I certainly can. Even a Chinese bun, where I can either twist the ponytail a turn or two, or do a couple of braid loops as the starter/anchor point.

All of them. You've just got to know where to pin them (handy to know when using smaller hairtoys on a big bun).

Anything my hair is in. :p

Celtic Knot for dependability and looks (I have slipmonster hair), and quarter-turned LWB or Gibraltar buns, and Nautilus buns for shorter hairtoys.

HaMalka
March 18th, 2019, 07:13 AM
On my hair its a Braided Cinnamon Bun held with a lot of U-pins. It has never fallen out or slipped or changed position in the slightest. It does get a bit uncomfortable after wearing it for a really long day.

I can do most of the buns I do without a hairtie. I usually do braided buns so I would have to leave the hairtie off the end of the braid which just means my braid unravels a bit faster and I would have to rebraid and tie off the end before bed.

On my hair, mostly knotted or center held buns.
However, I've found that this depends a bit on length. I cannot hold a cinnamon bun in my hair without pins to support it. Any sticks and forks would be decoration. I used to be able to hold a cinnamon bun with just sticks and I can do a cinnamon bun that holds really well with just a stick on a certain family member who has much shorter hair than I do.

Amish braids if you are willing to count them as a bun. I like the complicated braid woven look.

Braided LWB. It holds very well, is comfy, and can be done quickly.

Cg
March 18th, 2019, 08:43 AM

1) It depends on hair's length and texture.
2) Many people can, and see #1.
3) See #1.
4) Any bun can be beautiful.

mwallingford
March 18th, 2019, 09:24 AM
1.) What is the most secure bun you have done, or know of? For me, that would be the Celtic Knot bun. My hair is at an odd length to do anything braided, but I've heard braided buns are generally very secure.
2.) Can you make any bun by just using a hair stick/toy with no hairtie? Absolutely :) I have extremely slippery hair so a hair fork works best for me on most days, though a stick will work when my hair decides to stop doing its best Houdini impression
3.) Which buns work really well with just a hair toy? Depending on length and thickness (longer length works best as there is more room to anchor your hair tool in and thickness can prevent you from making buns until longer lengths), you can do any bun with just a hair toy. Although another caveat may end up being hair slipperiness, though that depends entirely on your hair. But at your length I would think that a disc bun would work very well and a cinnabun should also be doable
4.) What, in your opinion, is the best-looking bun? I think braided buns look phenomenal, but that's a personal preference. It's also my opinion that every bun looks beautiful but if you don't like the appearance of buns and still want your hair protected you could always try braids, or even braids pinned around your head in the milkmaid hairstyle
5.) Which is your favourite bun and why? My favorite bun as of this moment in time is also the most secure bun (mainly for practical purposes). I just think that the Celtic knot bun has a pretty aesthetic and is super secure

I know some of these answers were a bit redundant, but hopefully this helps a little bit!

MusicalSpoons
March 18th, 2019, 10:24 AM
1. Neoma Knot (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146000&page=4&p=3538586&viewfull=1#post3538586), closely followed by Celtic Knot.
2. Yup. If a style requires a hair tie (unless it's to secure a braid) I just won't bother.
3. All of them (as far as I know) except cinnabun, for me. I prefer simplicity so I only go for buns that can be secured with one, although a pair of hairsticks still counts as 'one'.
4. Ooh, so many. A current favourite is the helix bun; it's deceptively simple. Braided buns automatically look more intricate than they are, too.
5. Too many to choose, so I'll give you a thread instead :p https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146000 I am enjoying helix bun and a twisted LWB/Gibraltar, but my go-to is a double-wrapped LWB.

spidermom
March 18th, 2019, 10:37 AM
1) What is the most secure bun you have done, or know of? the nautilus

2) Can you make any bun by just using a hair stick/toy with no hairtie? most assuredly

3) Which buns work really well with just a hair toy? all of them

4) What, in your opinion, is the best-looking bun? From the front, they all look exactly the same. From the back, I like the figure-8/infinity or spidermom's bun that stays, which basically is a double loop nautilus.

5) Which is your favourite bun and why? My favorite up-style ever is the french twist, and I wear it almost every day because it's quick and easy to do with a Ficarre-type clip and lasts comfortably all day. I know that my hair will be too long for it at some point, so I'm going to get as much mileage out of it as I can while I can.

meteor
March 18th, 2019, 10:49 AM
It changes depending on length. Right now - braided L-Infinity (a.k.a. braided mirrored spidermom's bun). When my hair was shorter, it was braided LWB, but I prefer using more loops now for stability. Braided buns are generally more secure than their unbraided versions. The Ellingwoman braided bun, Interlaced dutch braids and Amish braided bun are ultra-secure, if you don't mind pushing hair through "hair pockets".

Yes, but only for the buns that I actually do: braided structure and length (wrapping) allow me to use just a stick/fork on tight, compact and well-designed styles.

LWB, Nautilus (esp. if braided), Ellingwoman braided bun, Knot bun, Celtic knot bun, Pretzel bun, Spock bun, Spidermom's bun (they can all be done on braided hair).

Personally, I really like the Helix bun (but I can't do it) and French Twist (but again, I can't do it - it doesn't work with thickness/length), the Royal Bun, Regency braided bun (with braided coronets/headbands/accents), Cinnabun, Chinese bun (and Chinese braided bun), Spirit bun.
I also like (French-) Braided Pinless bun, the Madora, Interlaced Dutch Braids, but they require good skills though.

Double-wrapped versions of braided LWB and Braided L-Inifinity - very secure, stable and low-manipulation.

-Fern
March 18th, 2019, 10:55 AM
For me, it's a marine bun. This stays put all day long, even when I had to take my helmet off and put it back on multiple times.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29029&d=1510424058

Cinnabuns held with a Quattro fork also stay pretty solid.

At BSL, I'm juuuust starting to be able to do LWB's again. Perfect stick held bun.

If your hair is long enough, tons of them.

Marine bun is slick and professional, or a bunned French braid softens the look significantly and looks a little more "romantic."

Braided LWB. Not super secure on me, but dang it looks pretty.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23796&d=1467668711

TatsuOni
March 18th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Amish bun, but that's more of a braided updo than an actual bun. Otherwise a Nautilus is quite secure.

As long as my Houdini-hair doesn't throw a tantrum, then yes :p ;)

Most of them, as long as your hair is long enough.

No idea. I like all buns.

I mostly wear a nautilus, but I wouldn't say that it is my favorite, just my go to. I don't think that i really have a favorite bun, but I like buns with a lot of details, like a bun with accent braids.

bparnell75
March 18th, 2019, 11:36 AM
A disc bun is the most secure. Toy only Also good for shorter length hair.
Most buns can be secured with a toy if hair is long enough.
My most often worn are Spock and Nessa buns. The prettiest one is a Posh bun.[also known as a pha variant]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGfOU1OPR1I&list=PLghz7zScUfJtgaqqzcbcL8vnWjNAmoCeZ&index=27&t=0s

Groovy Granny
March 18th, 2019, 01:57 PM
1) What is the most secure bun you have done, or know of? Nautilus is very secure for my slippery, wispy silver.
2) Can you make any bun by just using a hair stick/toy with no hairtie? :agree: though some can be made more secure with a hairtie
3) Which buns work really well with just a hair toy? All of them
4) What, in your opinion, is the best-looking bun? all of them
5) Which is your favourite bun and why? The Nautilus is my 'go to' bun, but I also like Cinnamon Buns secured with decorated spin pins, small claw clips, or large jeweled alligator clips.

Stardreamer
March 18th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Hi, Stardreamer, here are my answers: My most secure bun is a disc bun. Never falls down and is so comfortable I forget all about it. I never use a hairtie, just a stick or a 2-prong fork. I also like a lazy wrap bun, but it doesn't always stay up - it depends on how many days it's been since I washed my hair. But I think a LWB looks really nice when it works, and it's my favorite bun for now. Until I figure out something else!

What about you?

1) Probably a twist-around bun (is that a cinnabun?)
2) and 3) I can't answer
4) I have seen some lovely pictures on the LHC. I think cinnabuns, LWB, figure 8 buns, and nautilus look really good, also liking braided buns, especially with parandas.
5) My favourite bun is something I haven't done - I only do 2 basic bun hairstyles - but my favourite would be the figure 8. That twist in the figure 8 looks so elegant.

Thanks for your answers, everyone!

lapushka
March 18th, 2019, 05:13 PM

Are you asking because you want to do one?

To answer your questions, I have iii thickness so had to wait until hip to do a bun comfortably (waist was do-able but tight). I started with a LWB (lazy wrap bun), because at that time that was the only bun I could manage to do.

At FTL (fingertip length) right now a Nautilus seems to work better, but I had to wait until FTL to be able to do one!

I typically use a 2 prong-fork instead of a hairstick as a stick alone is not secure enough for me.

My favorite bun is the bun I can manage to do. It's as simple as that. A bun is just a simple way for me to get my hair out the way, nothing fancy is required for me. :flower:

HTH!

Stardreamer
March 18th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Are you asking because you want to do one?

To answer your questions, I have iii thickness so had to wait until hip to do a bun comfortably (waist was do-able but tight). I started with a LWB (lazy wrap bun), because at that time that was the only bun I could manage to do.

At FTL (fingertip length) right now a Nautilus seems to work better, but I had to wait until FTL to be able to do one!

I typically use a 2 prong-fork instead of a hairstick as a stick alone is not secure enough for me.

My favorite bun is the bun I can manage to do. It's as simple as that. A bun is just a simple way for me to get my hair out the way, nothing fancy is required for me. :flower:

HTH!

Do you like your hair out of the way?
And the purpose of this thread is to get a few people's opinions on these questions. I wanted answers to help guide me and to see what others are doing, and I do want to be able to do different buns, I just feel like I need a hair stick or toy.

lapushka
March 18th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Do you like your hair out of the way?
And the purpose of this thread is to get a few people's opinions on these questions. I wanted answers to help guide me and to see what others are doing, and I do want to be able to do different buns, I just feel like I need a hair stick or toy.

Oh for sure; at FTL (fingertip length), you kind of need to do a bun. I don't like hair in my way. I do however wear it loose at night, though. I feel it needs to "breathe" a little after bunning during the day. ;)

SurprisingWoman
March 18th, 2019, 09:45 PM
I am soooo glad you asked this question. Well done!

I have mostly done a version of the LWB, although I had no idea that was what it was called. The Cinnabun doesn't hold well for me, I have too much hair.

I had never heard or seen the Disc bun! That's what happens when you stay away from LHC for years. I didn't have any hairmergencies but I also wasn't up to speed on the latest and greatest. I am wearing a version of it now. It seems good and I love lazy and easy. That's why I have long hair.

I would have to agree that the best thing for my hair is finding a bun I can do well and I don't play a lot. When I attempt a lot of fancy updo's and twisty/cross over/wrap around do's it just causes stress on my hair.

Have fun but play in batches. Don't do it all at once or your hair will talk to you.

eresh
March 19th, 2019, 10:20 AM

1) Simple braided bun, chinese braided bun or the discbun.
2) Yes I only use a hairtie at the end of my braid, the rest just a stick or fork or Flexi.
3) A discbun works well with a single hairstick, Simple braided bun works well with a single hairstick, fork or flexi
4) I really like the look of the chinese braided bun, but any braided bun looks intricate and cool.
5) I mostly wear the simple braided bun with a single hairstick or the duscbun with a single hairstick, those are the fastest and most comfortable for me.

Hairkay
March 19th, 2019, 12:29 PM

The LWB

Of course, I do this all the time mostly with hair in small plaits or twists without a hair stick.

I have no idea since I am a hair minimalist and rarely use hair accessories. I also dislike hard stuff in my hair.

A messy LWB, a puff bun is great too but it's not that convenient for me.

A LWB is the bun I can do on my hair.

sophia_
March 20th, 2019, 04:18 PM
A nautilus with a fork, what I usually wear because my slippery hair will not obey me :mad:

Yes, the only time I use ties are to make a ponytail base/the end of a braid- I can no longer secure a bun with a tie.

Wrapped buns in general need a hair toy to hold for the most part.

I love looser, romantic-style buns, especially Edwardian-inspired, but it is very difficult for me to securely put my hair in a loose bun.

The nautilus is my go-to, it stays as long as I want it to and it doesn't usually hurt, and I have been able to do it since a little past hip length.

Stardreamer
March 20th, 2019, 04:43 PM
Everyone thanks :)