PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about dyeing my ends

Suortuva
March 15th, 2019, 01:06 PM
As the thread title says, I have been thinking about dyeing my ends. Just for fun, because I'd like to do something with my hair.

So, I have been growing out my virgin hair almost a year, and it's at APL, so there's lots of dyed parts left. Hendigo, and then henna only too. Though there's no bad demarcation line. I'm not 100% sure what my virgin colour is, maybe light brown, maybe level 6. I have tried to google. And the ends are of course darker, they can look black in some lights inside, but they are really not that dark. (There are some pictures in my album, but my hair looks very different in all of them...)

I would dye only that part of my hair which is already dyed, and not all of it. I mean, the ends have already a different colour. I'm thinking about max 10 cm/ 4 inches.

And I really don't want anything dramatic, it really doesn't need to be anything people see directly. I'm thinking about something rather descreet instead. So I have been thinking about black and dark brown, or maybe some shade of purple. There was once a shade called Dark plum which I loved when I was younger, it was pretty dark with purplish hue.

I have read about Elumen hair colours and I'd really like to try that brand. Someone who is familiar with this brand, or otherwise just have any ideas about which colour to choose?

Or, maybe this is just a stupid idea? Because sometimes I just get ideas and some of them can be pretty weird. So if you are reading this and instinctively feel that oh, Suortuva has lost her mind now, so please tell me that too. Because I'm not sure at all. Maybe it's just better to leave it...

But, if I decide to do this, what's the right technique to get a straight line? Is it the same as with self trimming method, ponytail in the neck?

Ylva
March 15th, 2019, 01:14 PM
I don't have any tips to offer, but since I suppose you're planning to cut off those dyed ends at some point, anyway, why not have some fun with them while they're there? I'd say go for it. :)

Suortuva
March 15th, 2019, 01:19 PM
I don't have any tips to offer, but since I suppose you're planning to cut off those dyed ends at some point, anyway, why not have some fun with them while they're there? I'd say go for it. :)

Yeah, that was my thought. They really need to go, and probably sooner than later, unfortunately. So maybe I could feel better with them, if I could do something fun with them...?

ExpectoPatronum
March 15th, 2019, 01:46 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea. When I was growing out my virgin hair, I dyed my ends just to have fun with colors. The ends were already damaged from previous dye jobs anyway, so why not? I think a deep plum color would look awesome.

HaMalka
March 15th, 2019, 02:08 PM
I have been planning the same for at least a year now and haven't managed to die my ends yet or trim my hair. I am of the opinion that If the last 1/2 foot or so of hair is getting chopped off it might as well be bright pink for a few weeks before its chopped. My situation is a bit different from yours though. I have virgin hair and my damage is mostly from my ends being old and worn. My hair is also long enough that I wear it in a bun full time so I can hide any dyeing if I want to.

As I haven't done it yet I can't help you with technique.

Suortuva
March 15th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Just wanted to check one thing: is it so, that because of indigo I can't use ordinary box dyes, because even dark colours contains bleach?

milosmomma
March 15th, 2019, 03:45 PM
I agree to have fun with your hair while growing out the ends! No mind losing that I can tell :) I dont know about indigo but if it is the case I would think manic panic or some other dyes of that sort should be ok. Keep us posted!

Ylva
March 15th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Just wanted to check one thing: is it so, that because of indigo I can't use ordinary box dyes, because even dark colours contains bleach?

Colours contain peroxide but not any lightening agent per se (bleach). The primary purpose of peroxide is to open the cuticles, and it has slight colour lifting properties, but I don't know if it causes the colour to turn green the way bleach does. I'm not really experienced in any henna or indigo matters. :D

Suortuva
March 15th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the answers!

HaMalka, I say go for it! Bright pink sounds awesome!

Thanks for the clarification Ylva. I won't probably use a box dye because I don't want damage my ends more than necessary. Elumen is permanent deposit only dye. I haven't ever used it myself, but I think it sounds as a best option. I was thinking about colours called RV@all Red Violet or VV@all Violet. I think my ends are dark enough, so it won't be too much.

MusicalSpoons
March 15th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Adding to the chorus of 'go for it' :) I've recently found myself occasionally considering henna-ing my ends or dyeing in a couple of fun streaks. I'm not sure I have the courage to go for it but if it's something you want - and it sounds more of a subtle change for you than it would be for me - and especially if it helps you enjoy your hair more, it definitely sounds a good idea!

Jo Ann
March 16th, 2019, 01:35 AM
If you really don't want to fry your ends even more, I'd suggest going with a semi-permanent dye, like Manic Panic, Arctic Fox, Directions, Adore, or something along those lines. They'll gradually wash out and won't damage your hair, unlike box dyes.

With darker natural hair colors, you're in for some fun! Plums, reds, blues, teals and the like would look awesome!

Suortuva
March 16th, 2019, 02:18 AM
Now I really hope I dare to do this... :cool:
I just need to decide the colour.

Pearly~91
March 16th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Wanted to stop by and say go for it! I had a similar urge to do something this time last year and dyed the last foot of mine red/purple/blue. No regrets.

I don't have any experience with that brand of color or dying over henna/indigo, so I can't help there. I know there are some good threads over in the Herbal Haircare subforum regarding trying to lighten these types of dye or dying over it.

SwanFeathers
March 26th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Its certainly an option of you think you can get it to a color you are happy with. Alternatively if it is just the itch for some kind of color, I have managed to stave off my urge to dye with colored kanekalon parandas.

Katsura
March 27th, 2019, 04:54 AM
I recently did a sort of reverse ombre with semi permanent dye, I got Biozell's Color Tech in black. The result was more like dark brown, propably because of the henna showing through.
I did multiple tiny ponytails with tiny elastics around my head at the height I wanted to dye, and I did two batches of dye with the other one a bit diluted with conditioner. You can even make three or so to gradually lighten the dye so there won't be a distinctive dermarcation line, if it's what you're going for.

SimplySmile
March 27th, 2019, 06:56 AM
I was growing my hair out for 4.5 years TBL all virgin hair then I decided I wanted to do the ombre. I have a cosmetology license so I was able to use professional products but I still damaged my hair. I did the ombre from about BSL down. It was not very much lighter then the rest of my hair but my ends were already so damaged from lack of trimming and I was slacking on oil treatments that after I did the ombre it was much worse. I decided to do a big chop so I could get all the blonde bites cut off. It left me with a little shorter then BSL hair. I regret it so much. I miss my long hair and all the hard work it took to get there. I suggest if you are trying to get your hair very long don't color it. What you do to your hair now will be with you for years. I mean you can trim off some of it if you don't go up as high as I did but still. I suggest just trying to figure out different hair styles, or treating your self to new hair toys and sometimes that helps when you are feeling like you need a change.

Suortuva
March 27th, 2019, 08:49 AM
I actually did it yesterday!

I used the Elumen VV@all, which is violet. I did it with help of two braids, it was very easy. And the amount colour I needed for my thin ends was really minimal, and the bottle is 200 ml, so I guess I can keep this colour very long time if I want to.

And oh, I'm very happy with the results. I think the colour is pretty subtle, no harsh demarcation line. And my ends were dark enough, so it doesn't look unnatural. Mostly it looks just darker, but depending on light, it can look, well, dark violet, or even dark red.

I think I will do this soon again to deepen the colour, and I think I can have it bit higher up, too. Hard to take pictures though... It's really nothing dramatic, but it's definitely there.

And, these ends are already damaged and eventually they need to go. I'm just trying to feel a bit less bad about them.

Suortuva
March 29th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Hmm, depending on light, it can be very violet...

I tried to take a pic, there you can see both the dyed ends and undyed hair from my face framing layers.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36275&d=1553886816

Begemot
March 29th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Glad to hear you're happy with the results! Looks quite lovely :)

Suortuva
April 9th, 2019, 11:51 PM
I dyed a bit more, higher up (maybe too high, but it will grow, right). This is the results after a couple of washes.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36462&d=1554875333

Sarahlabyrinth
April 10th, 2019, 02:07 AM
It looks really pretty!

Suortuva
April 10th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Thanks Begemot and Sarah!

I'm glad I did this, but at the same time I feel very self conscious, because I'm very conservative when it comes to unnatural colours in my own hair. In fact I have never had anything that could be considered unnatural, just thought it's not my thing. But at the same time, I'm thinking this is not so dramatic. Though, it depends on light, I promise...

Which might be good, because it encourages me to keep my hair contained, as for example just 2 English braids and it's not that obvious. I showed the last pic to my little sister and she just laughed and told me no one can see my hair is violet. But my colleagues saw, when we were outside in the sun...

Anyway, the line is pretty harsh too, If I do this again, I'll try to blend it.

And because the dye comes so high up, there's a really bright part above the darker ends. I suppose there's some virgin and almost virgin hair in it. But it's ok. Actually I'm a bit tempted to dye my neck hair too, but that'll wait for later.

SurprisingWoman
April 10th, 2019, 09:34 PM
My hair is silver so I never have to bleach and I am lucky. I dye part of my hair pink or purple (one time blue but that was a one off) every spring. I haven't had to dye this year because I finally discovered hair toys after 10+ years.

I say do it. I love having that little bit of fun.

Life is short. Do what makes you happy!

Katsura
April 10th, 2019, 10:21 PM
Looks great! Mine faded quite quick and wasn't as intensive as I was hoping for to begin with.

lapushka
April 12th, 2019, 07:00 AM
I like it, it's pretty. I haven't long discovered this thread. Could you show us a picture of your hair down from the back, perhaps? I really would love to see the full effect (if that is possible). :flower:

Suortuva
April 13th, 2019, 02:23 AM
Thanks guys! :D

I like it, it's pretty. I haven't long discovered this thread. Could you show us a picture of your hair down from the back, perhaps? I really would love to see the full effect (if that is possible). :flower:

Yes, I've been planning that kind of picture, and I think I will fix it, eventually... It's almost a year since I last dyed my hair (eeh, this doesn't count, I mean a full head application, I'm still growing out my virgin colour, though I probably dyed som parts of it...) and I'm almost at APL, and I'd like to take a picture outdoors in the sun. But I think I'll fix it sometime during this month.

Suortuva
May 18th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Cross posting from another thread. Not the best possible picture, but it should give you some idea.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36962&d=1558200429

MusicalSpoons
May 18th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Ooh very nice! :D

Ylva
May 18th, 2019, 04:28 PM
It looks very cool! :)

lapushka
May 18th, 2019, 04:59 PM
It's lovely! :D

Groovy Granny
May 18th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Very pretty :)