PDA

View Full Version : Breakage?

miyeena
March 14th, 2019, 02:50 AM
So, I have wavy ish hair. I tried brushing it, gently, combing, combing with fingers and everything, as gentle as I can and I get stupid breakage. Please help? Has anyone had rhi häpen? I've checked also seams and everything, no issues.

Ylva
March 14th, 2019, 03:36 AM
If you're on the wavier side rather than straight/wavy, your hair just might not do well with dry brushing. Many wavy and curly hairs can't (or at least shouldn't) be brushed dry. Try brushing it wet instead, very carefully, and then just finger detangling while dry.

timeschild
March 14th, 2019, 05:33 AM
Well I did not know this about not dry brushing or combing. It makes so much sense though no matter how gentle I try and be even if I use my fingers my hair breaks when I brush or comb it while dry. I’ve just always heard don’t do it while wet that is bad.

Ylva
March 14th, 2019, 07:19 AM
Well I did not know this about not dry brushing or combing. It makes so much sense though no matter how gentle I try and be even if I use my fingers my hair breaks when I brush or comb it while dry. I’ve just always heard don’t do it while wet that is bad.

Straight and mildly wavy hair (like yours) can be brushed dry. It's probably better. I brush mine dry only. But clearly wavy and curly hair is usually better off brushed wet only.

Haven
March 14th, 2019, 08:07 AM
Yeah, my hair does best if I brush it wet with conditioner. It sometimes breaks or frizzes when brushing dry, and it often tangles when I brush wet with no conditioner. If I need to detangle dry it prefers if I smooth my hands over it rather than rake a brush through it.

lapushka
March 14th, 2019, 08:19 AM
What is the state of your hair. I have asked you this in the other thread you created as well. I don't know if you answered there, I can't quite find that thread right now.

Do you have remnants of heat damage in your hair (from hot tools), like white dots?
How long is your hair now?

miyeena
March 15th, 2019, 03:36 PM
What is the state of your hair. I have asked you this in the other thread you created as well. I don't know if you answered there, I can't quite find that thread right now.

Do you have remnants of heat damage in your hair (from hot tools), like white dots?
How long is your hair now?

I seriously think many members find me weird for posting a lot about wavy but I just really enjoying having long hair for first time and having no idea about anything lol.

I do have white dots (not a lot) - but I have never used heat. My hair is past BSL, so mid back.

And I am also really confused as is it 1C or 2A. Straight to ends then wavy.... so weird.

MusicalSpoons
March 15th, 2019, 05:27 PM
And I am also really confused as is it 1C or 2A. Straight to ends then wavy.... so weird.

Do you have a hairtyping pic?

I also have white dots and the only heat my hair has had is heat from the sun and occasionally hot water in the years prior to finding LHC :shrug: No heat tools whatsoever!

lapushka
March 15th, 2019, 05:28 PM
Yes definitely do a hairtyping picture for us, miyeena! We can probably help you out with your texture; and then it will be a lot easier to discuss.

milosmomma
March 15th, 2019, 06:56 PM
Maybe you need more slip? I find brushing/combing wet or dry much easier when my hair has some added slip. I usually get enough from my conditioner and using the ROO method. I second that wet brushig needs to be done with conditioner on, I wouldn't dream of doing it with out eek! Leave ins or coney serums should add slip to dry hair if your conditioner doesn't provide enough. A great product I found for detangling is kinky curly knot today. It works both wet and dry and you only need a miniscule amount, but I haven't really needed it because I have enough slip with my current routine.