PDA

View Full Version : Weird Advice?

Strawonaberry
March 13th, 2019, 11:06 AM
I was reading a women's magazine the other day, just one that comes with the newspaper every weekend, and there was an article titled something like Five things you are doing wrong!
One of these things was washing your hair wrong, in which they claimed the mistake was putting shampoo directly on your scalp (!?)
According to the article, shampoo is too harsh on the skin (I guess some strong ones may be?), so you should really apply it on your ends and then work your way up
??
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this exactly the opposite of what you're supposed to do? I was pretty sure you should never shampoo your ends...

blackgothicdoll
March 13th, 2019, 11:11 AM
I don't believe in anything written in magazines, they've got to do something for views and the only way to do that is to be contrary to what everyone else things. Body washes also contain sodium laurel sulfate and similar detergents - do you start by squirting it onto the bottom of the shower and then rubbing the suds onto your feet and up?

I suppose some shampoos could be too strong for the skin, but that's why you pick a shampoo that is good for you. I don't like those that are very fragrant for example, that's bad for my scalp skin, and that's the exact same way I choose my soap too (because skin is skin). :)

Now if they had some scientific citations I might be curious, but usually those 5 ____ You Didn't Know - Number 4 Will Shock You!!! Type articles are just poppycock.

Groovy Granny
March 13th, 2019, 11:20 AM
That would be disastrous on my hair :tmi:

Tangles ~ scalp not cleansed ~ dry ends.

I apply it to my scalp while conditioner is applied to the ends; then I let the suds run down over the ends as I rinse them both.

Once a month I do a silver shampoo which gets applied from scalp to the ends, as does my quarterly clarifying shampoo.

I do NOT apply conditioner directly to my scalp as it is too heavy for my fine, wispy, silver.
Whatever is left on my hands after applying it to my ends is lightly passed over my scalp hair, but not worked in.

There are so many bogus articles;imagine the damage people endure that buy into them :doh:
I swear they must be produced by companies pushing their products or salons :p

lapushka
March 13th, 2019, 11:26 AM
I think maybe that was written by someone who knows *nothing* about hair, and perhaps they confused "roots" with "ends". I think that's about the only possible explanation, because... it makes no sense. :shrug:

blesseddamozel
March 13th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Sounds like whoever wrote that didn't know what they were talking about :disgust:

MusicalSpoons
March 13th, 2019, 12:11 PM
I simultaneously want to laugh because it's so ridiculous, cry because it's so wrong, and vomit because of the damage it will cause if anyone actually believes it. (Please please please nobody believe it :disbelief )

:rollin::wail::puke:

(Wow that felt weird :bigeyes:)

spidermom
March 13th, 2019, 12:40 PM
That's pretty weird. Sebum starts at the scalp, and that's what most people want to wash off on a regular basis. You can always mix harsh shampoos with a little water. I keep a squirt bottle in the shower area for that purpose.

*Wednesday*
March 13th, 2019, 12:41 PM
It's recommend shampooing the scalp, not the ends. The scalp builds up dirt. Many people have conditions of the scalp (SD, dandruff) and needs direct product. Ends are naturally drier and fragile. Shampooing ends makes them more dry. Ends should be cleaned when needed.
Don't take advise from the weekend newspaper. Stick to the comics.

enting
March 13th, 2019, 02:31 PM
The comics always were the best part of the paper to me!

Either they confused roots and ends like Lapushka said, or they meant to say conditioner instead of shampoo...?
If the shampoo is too harsh for your skin you shouldn't be using it. That's exactly why I'm dabbling with herbal whatever-free shampoos instead of my usual, because my scalp is unhappy. That's.... kind of the whole point.

I'd be tempted to write a strongly worded letter to the editor.

Natalia_A00
March 13th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Lol I think whoever wrote the article thought that made sense to them and just published it without having a clue about hair. When you wash your hair you actually want to get rid of the sebum, which is produced in the scalp so... That's where you have to apply the shampoo. I rarely apply shampoo directly on the ends, they don't actually get very dirty. I don't want to wash my ends, I want to moisturize them (the opposite with my scalp, as it gets oily pretty quickly). So I think it's exactly the opposite!

paulownia
March 14th, 2019, 01:43 AM
Hahahaha:bs:
Wonder what they will come up with next. It reminds me the advertising of some miraculous hair growth products ( Hair Jazz was it or something similar) that I see sometimes on Facebook. The girl is pouring huge amount of this wondrous shampoo on the length of the hair, then rinse, blow dry :rolleyes: and sporting amazing long mane. Whoever created this thing had no idea about proper hair care.

timeschild
March 14th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Hahahaha:bs:
Wonder what they will come up with next. It reminds me the advertising of some miraculous hair growth products ( Hair Jazz was it or something similar) that I see sometimes on Facebook. The girl is pouring huge amount of this wondrous shampoo on the length of the hair, then rinse, blow dry :rolleyes: and sporting amazing long mane. Whoever created this thing had no idea about proper hair care.. I keep seeing that darn ad and I just laugh because it’s so ridiculous.