PDA

View Full Version : Combing wavy hair

miyeena
March 12th, 2019, 11:19 AM
As title says - would it be fine to comb with a wide tooth one every day? I personally notice slight breakage, but nothing terrible or so that can't be taken off by S&D :p....
I've tried fingercombing for about a month, at first it was fine, but then my hair just started getting knotty and very weird, knots would break hairs and so on :rolleyes:

My hair itself is 1c/2a, wavy on ends purely, slightly above sometimes, so i am very confused as everyone say ~do not brush wavy hair while dry. hmm.

Reyn127
March 12th, 2019, 11:42 AM
I think you’re probably fine using your wide tooth comb, especially if it’s the method you’ve found that is the most gentle and effective on your hair.

Also about the dry brushing thing, I think that’s just if you want to maintain your natural waves. I personally only comb my hair while dry, because when it’s wet it’s a stringy, grabby mess and doesn’t work out nicely.

littlestarface
March 12th, 2019, 11:45 AM
If you feel it tug cuz of a tangle stop combing pull the comb out grab the piece of hair and then try to untangle it by hand, that way you don't break any hair if you can help it.

Beeboo123
March 12th, 2019, 01:25 PM
I use a wooden comb, not wide-toothed or fine-toothed, just normal. Be gentle, don’t rip through your hair, detangle slowly with your fingers like littlestarface says and you shouldn’t be breaking hairs from combing at all.

itskate
March 12th, 2019, 01:52 PM
I believe that advice is just visual, as Reyn127 said. I comb mine dry whenever I'm not planning on getting it wet, just to make sure it's thoroughly detangled, and it actually feels good and heathy for the hair/scalp to do that at least once a week. I just finger detangle first to avoid damage. And honestly, I know some people prefer to brush their wavy hair dry, it's all about whether you prefer the "clumps" of waves or more smooth uniform ones.

Groovy Granny
March 12th, 2019, 03:12 PM
I use wide tooth wooden combs for quick touch ups on dry hair and a Conair wide tooth for styling.

For detangling I use wood bristle brushes (sandalwood) and love the Vented Wet Brushes (regular and those with BBB).

The Conair wide tooth comb, Conair shower wide tooth comb, and regular Vented Wet brush I use on wet hair.

My hair is fine and wispy and I have no issues at all with breakage or splits or frizz.

lapushka
March 12th, 2019, 04:22 PM
As title says - would it be fine to comb with a wide tooth one every day? I personally notice slight breakage, but nothing terrible or so that can't be taken off by S&D :p....
I've tried fingercombing for about a month, at first it was fine, but then my hair just started getting knotty and very weird, knots would break hairs and so on :rolleyes:

My hair itself is 1c/2a, wavy on ends purely, slightly above sometimes, so i am very confused as everyone say ~do not brush wavy hair while dry. hmm.

That typically goes for 2 types, and more to the curly side than to the straight side. If you are 1c just 2a then you can comb & brush all you want, IMMHO. I used to comb and brush when I was still 1b/c, before puberty well and truly hit.

meteor
March 12th, 2019, 04:27 PM

If finger-combing alone is not enough to be on top of knotting, then yes, other tools may be in order, as well as possibly some detangling leave-in types of products (e.g. really cone-y ones). Personally, I love using a wide-tooth wooden comb and have done so for years while growing from BSL until current mid-calf length.

But if you notice breakage, consider a few factors, including checking the comb for any splits and smoothness of the comb.

If your comb is plastic, seams on teeth can be a typical culprit.
Running thin nylon stocking or something like that along the teeth can give you an idea of how smooth it is.

Also, if the comb stops in your mane all the time, maybe the teeth are too dense - consider a wider-tooth one. Some people start with a very wide-tooth comb and then go to a finer one.

Also, be careful with how you detangle and stop as soon as you feel resistance and "tease" the knot apart with fingers patiently starting from bottom and going down and sideways - sometimes a shed hair is at the middle of the knot so getting it out will help release the knot. So sometimes running hands at the very bottom of the hemline to pick out any hairs that stick further down from the hemline edge can help, since all these stragglers are shed hairs or broken hairs stuck in the mane and possibly causing tangles.

milosmomma
March 12th, 2019, 06:20 PM
Silicones and gently coaxing apart tangles by hand have already been mentioned so I'll just add that I find products with slippery elm and marshmallow root to have tons of natural slip eve when you hair dries. Kinky curly knot today is great for detangling wet but it can make my hair a little bit dry feeling if I over-do it. I'm not sure if oiling or the roo method have been mentioned but I find both help me with detangling and slip once dry. I've just switched from a plastic comb to a wood wide tooth and it's pretty much the same detangling wise but I get some great shine with the wooden.

miyeena
March 13th, 2019, 07:57 AM
I use a wooden comb, not wide-toothed or fine-toothed, just normal. Be gentle, don’t rip through your hair, detangle slowly with your fingers like littlestarface says and you shouldn’t be breaking hairs from combing at all.

Actually no matter how gentle am I - or what quality is the comb and a brush, I get broken hairs.

lapushka
March 13th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Actually no matter how gentle am I - or what quality is the comb and a brush, I get broken hairs.

What is the state of your hair? Heat damage (hot tools)? What is your hair like right now.