PDA

View Full Version : Crown braids??

Stardreamer
March 12th, 2019, 01:57 AM
If I can get several people's answers for these questions it'd be great.

1) What are different ways you can do a crown braid?
2) Is it a secure style?
3) What would you say is the minimum length of hair that you need to do it?
4) Have you been complimented if you've ever worn this style?
5) Who suits crown braids?

(Sorry for overload of questions)

TatsuOni
March 12th, 2019, 05:50 AM
Regular dutch/lace braid, rope braid, four strand braid and so on...

2) Is it a secure style?
Yes :)

No Idea, but just to be clear, you're talking about a crown braid, braided like a dutch/French braid around your head, and not a coronet braid (A braid wrapped around your head)? :)

I think so. I don't remember exactly what styles I've gotten compliments for...

Everyone could pull it of if you ask me :)

neko_kawaii
March 12th, 2019, 06:05 AM

2) Is it a secure style?

No Idea, but just to be clear, you're talking about a crown braid, braided like a dutch/French braid around your head, and not a coronet braid (A braid wrapped around your head)? :)

Ditto

I’d add that if your scalp dislikes hairs being lifted in a new direction, a crown can become uncomfortable. I’m not talking about pulling too tight. I prefer a coronet braid for this reason.

Simsy
March 12th, 2019, 06:25 AM
Any braid you like can become a crown braid; as long it’s one that you can add hair to as you go. The usual French, Dutch, Rope, Fishtail, are all options. You can also go crazy with 4, 5, 6+ strands if you’re feeling adventurous. If you can braid around your own head, you are doing a crown braid. You can also make a semi-crown braid by doing a braid down one side of your head, and a second braid up the other side of your head; and arrange to look kinda like a single braid. The classic milkmaid braids are also an option to give the same look if your hair is long enough.

2) Is it a secure style?
If it’s a braid like French or Dutch that is just braided around your head; absolutely. If you are doing one of the look alike options and pinning it down in places, depends on how you pin it. If you position the pins correctly or sew the braid/s down with ribbon (
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwnlfDYzk8&t=1s), it is very comfortable even to sleep in; and the sewing method will stay put for days.

A proper crown braid would be doable from about cbl; as is the faux option of doing 2 braids, one going up, one going down; and arranging as needed. The milk maid faux option would need at least waist length, and a single English braid (cornet style) needs hip-TBL at a minimum. Really depends on your braiding skill and hair.

I haven’t, but I did use to wear this style for work with a scarf to keep the dust off it. Held very well and kept everything out of harm’s way. I don’t really go for compliments on my hair when I’m working, and this was a style I felt better suited a work environment.

Anyone can wear the style you choose. People only really pick up if you aren’t happy with a particular style; much like small blemishes. No one really notices them except you definitely know they’re there. If you’re comfortable in the style, it will suit you. My only (personal) objection to them is when people fluff the braids to ridiculous sizes, then it just looks like some sort of braided crown like the plastic flower crowns. If the braid looks fake; it doesn’t look as good to me; again, personal objection.

Zesty
March 12th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Everybody has given pretty comprehensive answers so far. :) You can do French or Dutch braids (your choice of specific braid) at relatively short lengths, maybe like shoulder. Heidi type braids (two braids wrapped over or around the head) can give the same look, and can also be done pretty early, though I think would be easiest with BSL+. A coronet braid (single braid wrapped around the head) likewise, but I was at classic before I had the length for that.

It's very secure if you pin it well, and very comfy with the weight distribution.

I have gotten compliments, both on Heidi braids and a coronet braid. I don't do real crown braids because I can get the look more easily in other ways. :)

I think it suits anyone, it's a nice way to get some interest around your face as opposed to just a bun.

blackgothicdoll
March 12th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Yep. They are the only hairstyle people compliment me on. :o I started doing them before my hair was even CBL, I think, I do dutch braids, they stay put all day (sometimes even two days :lol:) I've never seen someone not look good in crown braids. I take out bangs sometimes to make them look softer, but since I can wear them in uniform too I pretty much wear them all of the time.

Cg
March 12th, 2019, 10:00 AM
2) Quite secure.

3) Some depends on your hair's texture. For a true crown braid (English braid wrapped around the crown) you will most likely need at least classic. For the modern knockoff, as long as you can make any braid going around, it's long enough.

5) Absolutely anyone who wants one! Crown braid is timeless and elegant.

LadyCelestina
March 12th, 2019, 10:48 AM
I will just add that IMO crown braids are very flattering if you have a more prominent jawline, as they draw the eyes up :)

Stardreamer
March 12th, 2019, 02:12 PM

2) Is it a secure style?

Thanks! And I'm probably talking about a coronet braid, at least that's what I'm thinking of, when you wrap the braid around the head (I tried a Dutch crown braid, too hard) :D

Stardreamer
March 12th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Ditto

I’d add that if your scalp dislikes hairs being lifted in a new direction, a crown can become uncomfortable. I’m not talking about pulling too tight. I prefer a coronet braid for this reason.

I would love to see a picture of your coronet braid :)

Edit: Thanks everyone for the contribution, it is appreciated! Just to clarify, I'm talking about a coronet braid, I didn't know the term for it before.

blackgothicdoll
March 12th, 2019, 03:50 PM
I believe coronet braid requires very long hair, like classic + if I'm not mistaken.

meteor
March 12th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Edit: Thanks everyone for the contribution, it is appreciated! Just to clarify, I'm talking about a coronet braid, I didn't know the term for it before.

If you mean specifically "coronet" braid (AKA "faux crown" braid), then length has to be around classic (or longer) for 1 braid to go around the head. Picture of specifically "coronet" braid (I believe, added extensions were used here): https://hinessight.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451c0aa69e2012876eca740970c-320wi
Obviously, if you split hair in two and wrap them around (a-la heidi/milkmaid braids), the hair can be shorter. If you split it into 4 braids or more, then the hair can be even shorter still.

However, classic crown braid that is based on sectioned braiding (e.g. https://images.totalbeauty.com/content/photos/bangs-and-crown-braids.jpg) (it can be Dutch, French, lace, fishtail, etc... but it is sectioned) can be done on hair almost any length, but the sectioning gets harder, the longer the hair - a lot depends on the skill of the braider, of course.

If I can get several people's answers for these questions it'd be great.

Either from standard (non-sectioned) braids (English, rope-braid, fishtail/herringbone, multi-strand braids, etc...):
from 1 braid -> coronet (for classic/classic+ length), or 2 braids (Heidi/milkmaid braids) or more braids

Or from sectioned braids: any braids can do (French, Dutch, lace, rope, fishtail, 5-strand, other multi-strand braids

You can also do it from smaller English braids going into other bigger braids, like a "Luana" crown braid: https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/

2) Is it a secure style?

Depends on how exactly you place them (closer to forehead seems to work better), how you secure them (e.g. hair-taping, claw-clips, spin pins, small flexi-8s and Ficcares typically can work for this) and whether it's sectioned or not. Sectioned ones are more secure because the French/Dutch/lace base provides grip and anchor for pinning at the base. Hair-taping - literally sewing braid(s) to scalp hair with a blunt yarn needle and thread/ribbon/etc - seems to be a particularly secure way.

Classic for standard (based on 1 English braid) coronet braid. Shorter for other versions. The more braids or the more sections you use, the shorter the hair can be.

4) Have you been complimented if you've ever worn this style? Yes.

5) Who suits crown braids? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

neko_kawaii
March 12th, 2019, 04:41 PM
Rope Coronet
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4180/35579184776_d0c7971421_n.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4405/36762414856_65f2a2a952_n.jpg

English braid coronet
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4154/35688047576_8d9fe882b0_n.jpg

I'm lazy, so instead of wrapping the ends all the way around after I've made one pass I wrap them around one finger and then pin that into a little rosette. Saves trying to hide any ties and having the ends pop out.

You might be interested in Heidi Braids - two braids pinned over the top of the head or Frieda Brads which are twin braids that are both braided with a thin scarf and then the scarf can be wrapped all the way around like a crown.

Stardreamer
March 12th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Thanks, guys