PDA

View Full Version : Sudden growth after oil treatment?

toastertroodle
March 10th, 2019, 08:16 PM
On Wednesday I gave myself a scalp treatment and massage with a tea tree oil conditioner while also saturating the rest of my hair with coconut oil and let it all sit for about an hour. This is the first time I have ever done this and I swear it seemed like my hair grew almost over night. It seriously feels and looks like it grew an inch in a mere two days but there's no way that's possible right? The picture on the left is from two days before I did the treatment/oiling and the picture on the right is two days after. Someone please help me feel less crazy!

https://i.imgur.com/Q5CHHLZb.jpg

blackgothicdoll
March 10th, 2019, 08:29 PM
It does look like a grew a lot, unfortunately I do oil treatments pretty often and do not have those results. :o

AmaryllisRed
March 10th, 2019, 08:34 PM
I never do oil but I do sometimes feel like my hair grows overnight.

toastertroodle
March 10th, 2019, 08:59 PM
It does look like a grew a lot, unfortunately I do oil treatments pretty often and do not have those results. :o

Surely it was just coincidence for me lol but it was shocking for sure!

toastertroodle
March 11th, 2019, 05:43 AM
I should clarify that I don’t really believe that my hair actually grew that much so quickly, I’m just wondering if there might be an explanation as to why it seems that way? Like I said I’ve never really done scalp treatments or oiling before so I’m not too familiar with the results

blackgothicdoll
March 11th, 2019, 06:51 AM
I should clarify that I don’t really believe that my hair actually grew that much so quickly, I’m just wondering if there might be an explanation as to why it seems that way? Like I said I’ve never really done scalp treatments or oiling before so I’m not too familiar with the results

Growth spurts totally happen, I don't think it really needs an explanation. Like last month I got an inch... but then this month I got less than half an inch... so it happens but they do seem to schedule themselves so that you still don't get a lot more than the average over a year. It could have even been from the oiling, which is why people on YouTube are so crazy about it... but you never see anyone on YouTube get 12 inches a year so it's not something that can happen every month (this is just my philosophy, I'm no scientist though).

spitfire511
March 11th, 2019, 07:11 AM
So it would help if we could see a little more of you on the photos (like arms so we can gauge against APL.

But I'd suspect (as it is in my case) its a combination of a little bit of growth - plus camera and body positions - plus scalp volume. As days go past wash day and you get more sebum/oil at the scalp, your hair 'lays down' more. So you get a little length from that as well as from that oil traveling your hair and smoothing the texture down a bit - if that makes sense? I don't ever trust a single photo for length personally - I wait until I have a few in the bank that are all about the same length because so many things affect it!

Regardless of the why though - YAY! :D It feels good to see some length - enjoy it!

priinnz
March 11th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Really I’d be so happy if I can get such spurts, but alas none to be seen here.

If you generally don’t massage, then the massaging action may have stimulated the follicles.

That said, I believe the angle at which the pictures have been taken may also have helped hair in the second pic to look longer. In the first pic, someone else seems to have taken the pic and you are looking straight ahead while in the second mirror selfie, you are looking up at the camera so have tilted your head a bit upwards making hair looks longer.

Aeonian
March 11th, 2019, 02:20 PM
I never do oil but I do sometimes feel like my hair grows overnight.

Oh man, that never happens to me.

Aeonian
March 11th, 2019, 02:22 PM
it certainly looks longer, but hey! I would rather feel crazy with longer hair than with short hair ;) enjoy it!

*Wednesday*
March 11th, 2019, 04:41 PM
When you measure length, use the same pose. Normally arms down. I think it looks longer because your arms are up high. Hair grows from the inside.

Repeat the process. Do weekly oil treatments. Take weekly photos.

-Fern
March 11th, 2019, 05:34 PM
Agreed, since you changed your position and the camera position, it looks to me as if your head is tipped back slightly in the second pic. But keep doing the oil treatments if they feel good. :o

toastertroodle
March 11th, 2019, 06:02 PM
I went back and took another picture with my camera in the same position as the “after” picture and just like magic the difference didn’t seem as drastic :doh:

I knew my hair didn’t grow an inch overnight but I got a little too excited about the prospect of scalp treatments and oiling being magic haha. I’ll definitely keep up the oiling and scalp massages though! I started doing the inversion method for the first time last night too so we’ll see if that makes any difference as well.

Dark40
March 11th, 2019, 08:41 PM
It does look longer! I used to do oil treatments every 2 weeks, and I've also noticed a difference in hair growth too, in a couple of days! I did a hot oi treatment, and it made my hair grow overnight!

*Wednesday*
March 11th, 2019, 10:29 PM
.....and I've also noticed a difference in hair growth too, in a couple of days! I did a hot oi treatment, and it made my hair grow overnight!

Overnight Dark40?

littlestarface
March 11th, 2019, 10:34 PM
Overnight Dark40?

:rollin: I can't wait for this reply.

*Wednesday*
March 12th, 2019, 10:55 AM
:rollin: I can't wait for this reply.

Stand by ��

AmaryllisRed
March 12th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Just to clarify, when I say it seems like my hair grows overnight, I don't mean literally overnight. I just mean one day it suddenly seems longer. :)

blackgothicdoll
March 12th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Technically, everyone's hair grows overnight, since it is always gradually growing. :D

Dark40
March 12th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Overnight Dark40?

Yes, overnight! It was only a cm of growth. Not that much. I just did it that one night, and the next day it felt longer.

MusicalSpoons
March 13th, 2019, 05:28 AM
Technically, everyone's hair grows overnight, since it is always gradually growing. :D

:hifive:

This is a quality post, honest ...

*Wednesday*
March 13th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Yes, overnight! It was only a cm of growth. Not that much. I just did it that one night, and the next day it felt longer.

Not much? A cm of growth is 1/2 an inch. 1/2 inch is an average of monthly growth.
I wouldn't use feelings as a reliable measuring stick.

Dark40
March 13th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Not much? A cm of growth is 1/2 an inch. 1/2 inch is an average of monthly growth.
I wouldn't use feelings as a reliable measuring stick.

Yes, I know. I wasn't going by a feeling. I'm going by long my hair looked. The next day after that hot oil treatment my hair did stretch some, and that could be because I did the inversion method. Back then I wasn't into measuring my hair as I am now.

Ylva
March 14th, 2019, 04:02 AM
If you didn't measure your hair, and even if you did, the potential (but not confirmed) 1 cm difference was probably due to something else entirely, like your hair simply laying differently. Hair just doesn't grow 1 cm overnight.

*Wednesday*
March 14th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Yes, I know. I wasn't going by a feeling. I'm going by long my hair looked. The next day after that hot oil treatment my hair did stretch some, and that could be because I did the inversion method. Back then I wasn't into measuring my hair as I am now.

Your hair is an enigma to me. You are responding to the OP in agreement that your hair grew a cm overnight after an oil treatment and *felt* longer (now maybe it was the inversion method). You said you didn’t measure back then so how are you sure it wasn’t the way the hair was stretched? Your hair is curly. Depending on how you stretched (as Ylva said maybe it laid differently) the hair *felt* longer. I have wavy hair and if I stretch it, I can’t decipher a cm (1/2 inch) of growth unless I actually measured it stretched previously. Adding overnight growth into the mix as you’ve alleged a cm, is a wild claim that is unsupported. I think if claims like this are made wantonly in a post, they should be supported.

Dark40
March 14th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Your hair is an enigma to me. You are responding to the OP in agreement that your hair grew a cm overnight after an oil treatment and *felt* longer (now maybe it was the inversion method). You said you didn’t measure back then so how are you sure it wasn’t the way the hair was stretched? Your hair is curly. Depending on how you stretched (as Ylva said maybe it laid differently) the hair *felt* longer. I have wavy hair and if I stretch it, I can’t decipher a cm (1/2 inch) of growth unless I actually measured it stretched previously. Adding overnight growth into the mix as you’ve alleged a cm, is a wild claim that is unsupported. I think if claims like this are made wantonly in a post, they should be supported.
. Like wha
I'm not sure if it grew a cm overnight or not but I know it stretched to some length overnight. It must have been the inversion method. Back then my hair was relaxed just like it is now, and it stretched. Yes, I know your hair is wavy, and I know that yours can stretch also. Like what Yiva said, "Maybe it was how the hair laid differently that's what made it feel longer. But I know whatever I saw you don't ever support it anyway. Because, I haven't done this to my hair in over 30 years.

*Wednesday*
March 14th, 2019, 05:52 PM
. Like wha
I'm not sure if it grew a cm overnight or not but....

But when I asked you if it grew overnight, you said this;

I'm dumbfounded. You made a direct statement testifying to it.

littlestarface
March 14th, 2019, 06:03 PM
rollin

alcoholic

Dark40
March 15th, 2019, 04:38 PM
But when I asked you if it grew overnight, you said this;

I'm dumbfounded. You made a direct statement testifying to it.

Yeah, you did ask me that, and I did say that but now I'm changing it to saying that I'm not sure how much it stretched or grew. I'm not testifying to anything. I'm not on trial for anything here. But all I can say is that I know that the hot oil treatment made my hair grow some. Now, how much I don't know.