PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for relaxed hair

YellowBigBird
March 10th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Hello Y’all, I’m a new user here and I stumbled upon this forum after looking for some help and I thought I should just ask myself. So I am naturally curly and a dry one at that so I have started to relaxed my hair at home and I was just wondering what should I do, my hair is pretty stiff and as you can see in my picture it wants to go up as if I got electrocuted. Any advice on how to make my hair flow, and look alive or am I just screwed

https://imgur.com/gallery/FyifCR7

Please ask for any additional information if needed

milosmomma
March 10th, 2019, 04:02 PM
I dont have any experience with relaxers but I'm going to suggest a moisture deep treatment. There a recipes for home made ones and the most well known is probably snowymoons moisture treatment or SMT as people call it here. I'm on mobile and cant link you the info right now. If I remember correctly all it is is aloe honey and your favorite conditioner :)
Welcome BTW!

blackgothicdoll
March 10th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Hi and welcome! I can't see the picture you posted. Is this your first relaxer or have you relaxed multiple times now? Can you describe your process from beginning to end, including all products that you use?

Corvana
March 10th, 2019, 04:17 PM
Hello! There's actually a thread for relaxed hair that might have some advice or tips if you read through it? https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145384 At the very least a nice place to chat!

As for advice, I second a moisture deep treatment! Put it on and then wrap your head with something like saran wrap and then a towel to keep it all warm.

lapushka
March 10th, 2019, 04:24 PM
It is sticking straight up, which is what short straight hair can do. I would second a moisture treatment, and paddle brush blow drying.

milosmomma
March 10th, 2019, 04:55 PM
If you blow dry just use cool air. Heat will probably cause more damage than good in the long term.

lapushka
March 10th, 2019, 05:29 PM
Yes, keep the dryer on a heat where it doesn't burn the skin, lower than that is fine!

Dark40
March 10th, 2019, 05:42 PM
I think you're suffering a protein overload. I would recommend you use deep moisturizing treatment once a week. The best deep moisturizing conditioner to use is, "Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream." What you do is apply it to the hair while it's wet, sit under a hooded dryer for 5 minutes, rinse it all out....then, use a leave-in conditioner for blow-drying on low heat or cool air. Then, you should be fine.

lapushka
March 10th, 2019, 05:49 PM
I think you're suffering a protein overload. I would recommend you use deep moisturizing treatment once a week. The best deep moisturizing conditioner to use is, "Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream." What you do is apply it to the hair while it's wet, sit under a hooded dryer for 5 minutes, rinse it all out....then, use a leave-in conditioner for blow-drying on low heat or cool air. Then, you should be fine.

How can you tell just from that picture, though? :)

YellowBigBird
March 10th, 2019, 06:54 PM
Thank you guys for responding back, so In my life I relaxed my hair three times once last year but I didn’t maintain my hair since I was new to it I just thought I would do the treatment and boom straight beautiful locks without even taking care of my hair but it became a bird’s nest and I decided to cut it off. I relaxed my hair again this past late November and did it again mid February for my new growth. So I have been trying to take care of it this time and have been using products the one I mostly use are OGX Extra Strength damage remedy coconut miracle oil shampoo with the conditioner variant of it as well. I also used Shea moisture Jamaican black castor oil strengthen & restore shampoo and it’s conditioner variant and also leave in conditioner but I felt as if it didn’t help my hair so I went back to the OGX stuff. I felt it made my hair feel more silky and less dry unlike the Shea moisture. I also add Marc Anthony leave in conditioner now. I did go to a salon for a couple$ times for deep treatments every few weeks but I feel as if they used something that didn’t help or I didn’t go frequently enough. But I was not also clarifying my hair at the time I was going so it might of not been really working good. But yes I also Clarify my hair once a week with Suave essentials daily clarifying shampoo. If you guys need more pictures or any more information please let me know

lapushka
March 11th, 2019, 07:00 AM
Thank you guys for responding back, so In my life I relaxed my hair three times once last year but I didn’t maintain my hair since I was new to it I just thought I would do the treatment and boom straight beautiful locks without even taking care of my hair but it became a bird’s nest and I decided to cut it off. I relaxed my hair again this past late November and did it again mid February for my new growth. So I have been trying to take care of it this time and have been using products the one I mostly use are OGX Extra Strength damage remedy coconut miracle oil shampoo with the conditioner variant of it as well. I also used Shea moisture Jamaican black castor oil strengthen & restore shampoo and it’s conditioner variant and also leave in conditioner but I felt as if it didn’t help my hair so I went back to the OGX stuff. I felt it made my hair feel more silky and less dry unlike the Shea moisture. I also add Marc Anthony leave in conditioner now. I did go to a salon for a couple$ times for deep treatments every few weeks but I feel as if they used something that didn’t help or I didn’t go frequently enough. But I was not also clarifying my hair at the time I was going so it might of not been really working good. But yes I also Clarify my hair once a week with Suave essentials daily clarifying shampoo. If you guys need more pictures or any more information please let me know

Welcome to the forum, BTW. :)

Dark40
March 11th, 2019, 12:27 PM
How can you tell just from that picture, though? :)

Well, you're right. Int that picture I can tell. :) I was going by her saying that her hair was stiff, and I thought that's what protein would do to your hair if you do too many protein treatments.

YellowBigBird
March 11th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Well, you're right. Int that picture I can tell. :) I was going by her saying that her hair was stiff, and I thought that's what protein would do to your hair if you do too many protein treatments.

I don’t remember doing any protein treatments ever, is it still possible to get an overdose?

lapushka
March 11th, 2019, 03:49 PM
I don’t remember doing any protein treatments ever, is it still possible to get an overdose?

If you've not used protein, no. But moisture can never hurt! A good deep treatment and you should be fine!

H o n є y ❤
March 11th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Relaxed hair is sometimes stiff when you use too much product.

lapushka
March 11th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Relaxed hair is sometimes stiff when you use too much product.

You mean styling products? :)

YellowBigBird
March 11th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Alright so when I do my deep treatment, should I clarify my hair before doing it?

Dark40
March 11th, 2019, 08:32 PM
Yes, you should clarify before doing it.