PDA

View Full Version : Basic Braids and Buns

Shorty89
March 10th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Hey guys. I recently got asked to do a booth at a church event about hair and braiding and maybe buns. I've got a few ideas about basic braids bit I'm not sure which buns to demonstrate that don't require lots of hair. Can people either shorter lengths do a nautilus? I'd love your ideas and suggestions. So far, I have pictures of braids and some ribbon for people to practice on.

neko_kawaii
March 10th, 2019, 02:25 PM
The Disc Bun is great for lengths that aren’t quite long enough for other buns.

French twist or peacock twist can be done at shorter lengths.

The Style Thesaurus (stickie in Mane Forum) doesn’t have length notes, because bun-ability is also a factor of thickness, but it is a useful reference for inspiration.

FennFire911
March 10th, 2019, 02:28 PM
I learned a lot of braids to do on my daughters (hard to learn to do braids on myself) thanks to YouTube. So far their face has been a 5-strand braid.

Reyn127
March 10th, 2019, 02:45 PM
That sounds like a cool little booth/event to put together. When I first joined LHC, I could just barely do a nautilus bun on my waist length hair. The Pha bun, I think is one of the best for shorter hair. I agree with neko_kawaii that the disc bun is another good one. The lazy wrap bun I think is easier to learn/master than the nautilus, but I think the structure is similar, so that might be a good one. Also, how about the infinity/figure 8 bun, or the L-infinity? The regular infinity bun is very easy, and if you can make a regular cinnamon bun with two stacks, you should be able to make it into an infinity bun. And again, the L-infinity bun is structured similar, but I think it’s easier to build, and it seems like you’d be able to do it with more average length hair.

Also in my experience, sometimes shorter hair just needs to be held with claw clips instead of a stick/fork. That has made all the difference sometimes when I’m showing someone how to hold the bun, in hair that just barely makes it.

milosmomma
March 10th, 2019, 04:16 PM
That sounds like such a neat idea. What about folded braids? I think you would only need about apl to manage that one. French and Dutch braiding too, that's usually how I start a folded braid so it doesn't slide. Let us know how it goes, I am interested to see how your booth turns out. You could also do half up buns or double buns to widen the variety of buns you can do at a certain length :)

neko_kawaii
March 10th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Tucked French braid is good for shorter lengths.

If I think of others I’ll post.

Shorty89
March 13th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Thanks anyone. Would any of you be willing to let me print off a picture of the braids or buns? I think people might get tired of seeing my hair. :lol:

milosmomma
March 14th, 2019, 01:02 AM
I just posted this in the bun thread, but you can use my cinnabun :lol:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35968&d=1552545154
Honestly you could probably get nicer examples from google though.

meteor
March 14th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Honestly, it doesn't particularly matter if the hair is not long enough for some of the buns, because you can always try a half-up bun or do double or multiple buns on those with thicker/shorter hair. The rest of the hair can be left loose or twisted/braided and pinned around the base bun, if you wish.

I'd learn something basic but distinct looking and with a simple action/skill that they can use later, e.g.:
- Something with wrapping action: LWB / Wrap bun / Nautilus;
- Something with knotting action: Knot / Celtic Knot / Pretzel bun;
- Something with twisting action: Cinnamon bun / Shell bun and Infinity/Figure-8 bun

For braids, I'd show:
- simple English braid and variations, for example, underhand braiding (like in Dutch) or taking 2 small strands and 1 thick strand to make an English braid - this is what it looks like ("loony" braid) (http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/LoonyBraids1.jpg), or 2 thick strands and 1 thin strand.
- rope braid and hawser braid (2 rope braids rope-braided together)
- Fishtail/herringbone braid
- Infinity braid and DNA braid
- for somebody with longer hair - 5-strand braid
And consider showing a french/dutch braid on somebody with hair that's slippy enough and not too long, because sectioning can be tough on tangle-prone hair.

These are all pretty easy styles, and they look distinct.
You can even do things like show some kind of braid or two with just a section or two of hair (accent braids) and then add them to the rest of hair and bun it. This way, you can show multiple techniques on the same head of hair.
If that's too many options and you don't know if folks know what these names mean, you could bring pictures of the styles you know and ask people which ones they'd like you to try on them. You could even bring step-by-step pictures/instructions as materials for them to take home.

I'd make sure to have things like U-pins, claw-clips, chopsticks, knitting needles, pencils if you don't have enough hair toys to work with multiple people. A comb with a rattail end (for sectioning) can come in pretty handy for sectioned braiding, too, but a chopstick with a thin end will do, too. ;)

Good luck! :cheer: I hope it goes really well! :D

Shorty89
March 14th, 2019, 10:20 AM
I just posted this in the bun thread, but you can use my cinnabun :lol:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35968&d=1552545154
Honestly you could probably get nicer examples from google though.

Thanks. I'd rather not use Google since they mine their photos from all over, including LHC. I'd rather have the permission nog the photo owner. :)

milosmomma
March 14th, 2019, 07:24 PM
Thanks. I'd rather not use Google since they mine their photos from all over, including LHC. I'd rather have the permission nog the photo owner. :)

Understandable :) Ok I give you my permission. I think I only have dutch braids and disc buns in my albums but feel free to look around and PM if you have any questions. Sorry they're not better quality.