PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried haircutting machine for trimming?

Jessica Jones
March 7th, 2019, 01:10 AM
Hello everyone, at my last trimming at hairdresser one year ago I asked to be done with a haircutting machine.
Mostly straight lines and slight U on the back took about les than 5 minutes.
I have haircutting scissors at home but I am tempted to try again the shaving machine of my friend with maybe some help cause the hair dressers technique is difficult to be done to myself on my own. Have you tryied it this machine cutting? You think is kinda the same or worse for hair instead of scissors?

Alexandrina
March 7th, 2019, 01:42 AM
Hey Jessica, I'm afraid I don't understand the question. You mean like clippers? I've never seen anyone cut long hair with those, curious how it's done!

Jessica Jones
March 7th, 2019, 02:07 AM
Yes, Alexandrina I mean clippers. Thanks for mentioning it :) My mother tongue is greek and my english are not totally updated :P

Henrietta
March 7th, 2019, 04:12 AM
I've been using clippers for exactly four years this March. Someone in Polish hair blogs have noticed that trims made with clippers work better than those made with scissors. The ends are healthier for a longer period of time. It's also way easier to do a straight cut if you have thick ends/hair. You just go across smoothly instead of being forced to hack back and forth a few times with scissors.
With clippers, my ends are just... sharper. The entire hairline as a whole and individual single strands are straighter and blunter, which I like.

Many hairdressers in Poland perform clipper cuts on long hair too, because of this straightness and bluntness.

lapushka
March 7th, 2019, 04:15 AM
I once had a bob cut with clippers; the neatest lines *ever*.

I don't think it is damaging, no, basically it's the same, maybe even sharper than with scissors. I wouldn't worry.

spitfire511
March 7th, 2019, 05:59 AM
Hi JessicaJones I will say that I had a trim once with clippers and if they are not nice and sharp (just like your hair cutting scissors) they can damage your ends - learned the hard way... I did this once and whatever happened, my hair stuck to EVERYTHING (like clothes and blankets - literally everything) until I got it trimmed again like 2 weeks later because I couldn't take it anymore.

I might test a small section with the clippers to make sure they aren't snagging at all and the ends look good before doing the whole thing!

Jessica Jones
March 7th, 2019, 06:37 AM
Hi JessicaJones I will say that I had a trim once with clippers and if they are not nice and sharp (just like your hair cutting scissors) they can damage your ends - learned the hard way... I did this once and whatever happened, my hair stuck to EVERYTHING (like clothes and blankets - literally everything) until I got it trimmed again like 2 weeks later because I couldn't take it anymore.

I might test a small section with the clippers to make sure they aren't snagging at all and the ends look good before doing the whole thing!

Thanks for your warning I will be careful :)

Jessica Jones
March 7th, 2019, 06:41 AM
Thank you Henrietta... I like the straight cuts and I feel my ends are totally ok for one year without trimming at all since last cut, so I intend to try it when I am ready fora little trimming :)

cjk
March 7th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Whether the blades are moved by hand, like scissors, or with a motor, like clippers, makes no difference. They cut the hair.

The question is whether they cut cleanly. A clean cut is what you want. And dull blades, whether they are scissors or clippers, can't make a clean cut.

Make sure your tools are sharp and you shouldn't have an issue.

My favorite clippers are my classic Oster 76.