PDA

View Full Version : Hats and tangles

Rivanariko
March 6th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Hello! I've been absent from these forums for a few years now but I'm back! With a question!

It is winter in my part of the world and I work an outdoor job. I wear my hair in a braid because I have to put a helmet on occassionally. I have a knitted wool hat that my best friend made me that I adore, but I've noticed that at the end of the day, the wool seems to have tried to felt the hair at the nape of my neck. I have very fine, tangly hair anyway, but I feel like I'm doing so much damage every time I take my braid out trying to tear out the mats!

Is there a better solution for keeping my head warm but my hair safe? I thought about trying to sew a satin lining into the hat, but I feel like that would take away the inherent stretchiness that makes it so comfortable. I have several "bun hats" that I crocheted when I had jobs that I wore my hair up for, but that doesn't really work in my current role. Help?

sumidha
March 6th, 2019, 08:20 PM
You could just do a silk scarf around your head and then the hat?

Kat
March 6th, 2019, 08:24 PM
What about a spandex swim cap? Stretchy and smooth. I have one sewn into a straw hat to keep it from catching my hair.

milosmomma
March 6th, 2019, 08:31 PM
What about a silky bandana tied under the hat as a buffer? Similar to a liner but then you don't have to actually modify the hat.

ETA I guess I got beat to it :lol:

Alexandrina
March 6th, 2019, 08:59 PM
I have no idea myself, but like the silk scarf or bandanna idea if you don't want to sew a liner into the hat itself.

Or maybe a buff? I've heard good things about those, it's kinda like a bandanna but instead of tying it yourself, it's like a tube of material that you pull over your hair to look like a bandanna.

TatsuOni
March 7th, 2019, 09:01 AM
I'm wearing scarves instead of hats now. Double if it's cold, but this is what I did earlier. The text's in Swedish but you can see the pictures. http://tatsu.blogg.se/2016/november/harsakrade-mossor.html#comment There's an elastic at the bottom of the satin.

Cg
March 7th, 2019, 09:09 AM
I second the suggestion of a silk scarf (or buff, which I use a LOT) before the wool cap.

Rivanariko
March 7th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Great suggestion! I think I have some silk scarves in my closet somewhere!

lapushka
March 7th, 2019, 02:43 PM
There's these beanies they sell with satin lining. They're all over the net.

milosmomma
March 7th, 2019, 10:07 PM
There's these beanies they sell with satin lining. They're all over the net.

But her best friend knitted her the hat she's using :)